Introductions

Options

Replies

• celticmyss
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started NROLFW a little over a week ago and I am 5 work outs in. I am really enjoying the program!

I have been working at losing weight for about 18 months now. I initially lost weight fairly easily with a mixture of cardio and a bit of upper body weights on the side. The last 10 months or so my weight loss stalled and I have been gaining and losing the same 10 pounds.

I am hoping that this program is just what I need to get things restarted. I really like the structure it gives me both in terms of calorie goals and activities. I am not doing any "intentional" cardio with the lifting right now but I am trying to be as active as possible in my daily life.

I am taking a break from the scale and have done progress photos and measurements. I'm excited to see where things stand in a month.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am Julie. Just picked up Nrol4w from the Library and plan on reading this weekend and starting in the next week or 2. I have been working out at home, a round of Chalean Extreme, TurboFire, and a hybrid between the 2, but I realizing how much I miss lifting and how much I lift the gym, so it's time to get back to it!
    I am 44, engaged, have 3 awesome kids, and 2 awesome soon to be step kids. My fiance is amazingly supportive, but this is my journey and I love that he encourages me, but I have to do this for me. Looking for some friends to keep me motivated and to share my obstacles and successes with!
  • FitShark
    FitShark Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi everyone...I am Carolyn, 44 and in basic good shape. I've been up and down on the scale, and in clothing sizes. BUT I am trying not to let the latest "pudge" from my winter slacker behavior get to me! I just feel dumpy, and my clothes were getting just a pinch tight again! TIME TO NIP IT IN THE BUD (or BUTT!)
    I've done P90X, the X+ dvds, TurboFire, Chalean Xtreme and even Insanity (don't do that one y'all, its really too much on the joints) I have not heard of this program before, but I have been taking on more and more weighted workouts than I have before, and am I going to look into reading up on this as I go through a cathe freidrich weight lifting series and some kettlebell workouts I found online.

I am excited to build some muscle to power through the last bit of fat-torching I need to do :)
    go ahead and feel free to add me, as I'm looking forward to support and share ideas as we get our lift on!!
  • DFineMrsRicks
    DFineMrsRicks Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,..I have completed Day 1 of New Rules and will begin on workout B tomorrow. Workout A kicked my butt, especially the prone jack knife exercise (I really going to have to work on my form with that one). I really hope this will be something I can stick with for years to come.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Pearl (not my real name) and I just did Day 2 on my lunch hour. Not ideal, but I've got two little ones and a husband with a tough schedule, so there you are.

I've been running (did C25K, loved it) but my tendency is really to build muscle, and I like to feel strong. I'm going to try to keep doing running intervals (short 30 min treadmill intervals - they're fun!) on some off days. Otherwise I'm biking a lot and taking kids behind me in a bike trailer, so lots of adventures with exercise built in.
  • _speshk
    _speshk Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new today, starting working 1a tonight!

I've practiced lifting in the past, but not as a strict, structured regimen, which is what I'm looking for. I'm also "cleaning up" my diet, for lack of a better (less trendy) description ;) I am doing it for fat loss. I am also currently participating in fitness model Kelsey Byers' 12 week challenge.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! *waves*
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm starting phase 1 tonight after work!

I'm running on my off days (c25k on SunTuTh - currently on week 4), and I've never really done lifting aside from simple things like bicep curls with "Barbie" weights.

Excited to see how this goes!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure if I have introduced myself here but even if I did, let's do it again. LOL

My name is Cee. I started Phase 1 approximately 10 weeks ago. I'm a Zumba instructor and teach a lunchtime class every other week and do my lifting during lunchtime. So, there have been some weeks where I lifted 2x a week and some where I lifted 3x and one where I lifted none at all because I was sick. LOL Thus the reason why I'm still in Phase 1. I'm doing Workout B7 tomorrow then A & B 8 next week and buh-bye phase 1! I'm looking forward to Phase 2 and plan on doing the AMRAPs at the end of Phase 1. :-)
  • Delll2013
    Delll2013 Posts: 73
    Options
    Hello ladies,

My friends call med Dell and I certainly hope I'll work on the NROLFW as sharph as a computer.

I'm starting today and I'm a bit afraid of the prone jacknives. I've tried this exercise in the gym yesterday and I made a fool of myself. :))
  • ifaber
    ifaber Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey, my name's Inesha! Just picked up New Rules Of Lifting For Women from the Library yesterday and have been reading it since. Will definitely be purchasing it as well but I wanted to read it fully before I shell out money yet again on another fitness book. It is a very good and informative book and I think it works well with my goals. My only question is that right now I go to a low weight high rep group fitness class twice a week and I really enjoy it and the women there so I don't want to give it up. The book says to have a full 48 hours of rest between the workouts but I'm hoping that's in regards to heavy lifting, not musclar endurance training. Anywho, I'll listen to my body either way but I am really excited about lifting! Haven't committed to lifting at all but now I am ready!
  • workinprogress37
    workinprogress37 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Robin. I'm 30 something, married, and I have 2 boys ages 14 and 10. I've struggled a lot with my weight. I've been on MFP for a while now and I follow a workout program. But I have not been seeing the results that I want. So I was thinking that weight lifting might help because I know that increased muscle mass will increase my metabolism. So here I am!!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Lori. I'm 51 and have about 60 pounds to lose. I've been working with a personal trainer for about 8 weeks now and still have 4 to go before my pre-paid sessions with her are over. I'm still reading the book but I think what I'm going to do is do one workout a week at home and then will increase to 3 a week once I'm done with my trainer. I have a weight bench, a barbell, dumbbells, etc... Will have to get a stability ball but I've been wanting one anyway. I've lifted weights off and off for years. I really enjoy it and love being strong. I just need to get the fat off so you can see all these muscles I've worked so hard for!

I haven't made it to the nutrition section yet but I'm currently eating 1500 calories a day based on Heybales spreadsheet and I eat a clean diet 95% of the time. I ordered a new FitBit but it's on back order for several more weeks :(

Happy to have found this group and looking forward to getting to know everyone.
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have had the book for about a year, but no time to go to the gym. Finally got our home gym complete enough to do everything at home, and started yesterday. If anyone would like a NROLFW buddy, add me as a friend!

I am also doing Herbalife. I do Crossfit on two of my off days.

I have 5 kids and am in graduate school, but am supposed to graduate in August!! I want to lose the inches I have gained during school.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Megan and I'm starting NROL4W today! Really excited to get started.
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan! I just started too, had my first day on Sunday, can't wait until this evening to do day 2.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My name is Cory, I'm 35 yo, with 25 more pounds to loose, I started this last week lifting 2 days/wk (Tuesday and Thursday) at the local YMCA. I'm also doing C25K on my off days (M, W, F), and doing family activities on Sat and Sun. :) Feel free to friend me! :flowerforyou:
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Don't think I've done this yet.........

Hello :bigsmile:

I am Rae, 38 yo, blissfully married, mom of 2! Just started yesterday! Workout 1 took me about 30 mins and afterwards, I didn't feel as I did enough even though I sweated my butt off. Well, let me tell ya, I can feel every bit of it today! I am not so sore I can't walk, lol, but I am definitely feeling the work I did! Excited to keep moving forward! Feel free to add me.
  • MelindaClaire1
    MelindaClaire1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just ordered the book on Amazon. Learning about nutrition and fitness... With soooooooooooooooo (continue indefinitely) much information out there I have always been intimidated, discouraged and never tried. Mother of 2 boys, 6 and 4 and a fiancé that will support me in anything I want to take on. I'm diving in feet first and trying what feels good and works for us.

I have never monitored or tried to "eat right" but I want to teach my boys too so I'm on it now. Mind you still learning; WAY behind! My default for exercise has been DVDs as they're easy and I don't have to know what to do, just do what they do! It's worked but I want more! I want to sculpt my body and I want to fuel my body! I want to feel strong, energized and beautiful inside and out. So my journey has lead me here to weight training which I am again intimidated by due to my lack of knowledge.

I got this!! Add me as a friend if you'd like to help me in my journey please!? I can learn from your posts or if you have suggestions/criticism I'm all ears. Thanks! :0)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hey to all you newcomers. We have a daily chat thread where there's a whole slew of us who are mid program or finished. I'm on Stage 7, love this program and love this group! Join us over there!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Vicky and Ive just started the second week of stage 1 (sore but in a good way) I'm mother to an 8 year old boy and I'd like him to learn that women are strong like men. I have a very supportive husband who when I showed him the book and what I wanted to do went out and bought a squat rack/cable machine so I can do it properly. Not got a heap of weight to loose its more about gaining strength. I also run a little bit and do yoga and one of the things I want to get out of this is being able to rock arm balances without grazing my nose.