Introductions

Options

Replies

• AlaskanPhoenix
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Melissa, I'm 27 years old, 5'4" and 245lbs. I bought the book and read through it a while ago. I was supposed to start the workouts a long while ago, but I didn't. No excuses, I just didn't do it.

I tried my first day last Monday, but I waaaay over did it on the weight for the squats and I was in too much misery to go at it again by Wednesday. A week later and I've finally recovered. I plan to start again tomorrow, with more reasonable weight.

The formula in the book would have me eating a bit over 2600 calories on workout days, and I just don't know if I can possibly eat that much! (A fat girl that can't eat that much?!) I've been going with a normal 2000 calorie diet for the last week and doing my best to follow the 40/30/30 on macronutrients. Does anyone have some advice on this?

P.S. THANK YOU to whomever posted the link to the instructional video on the Prone Jackknife. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get on that damn Swiss ball. ;)
  • Helgazon
    Helgazon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've been doing NRL4W for a few weeks now, a bit spottily with travel (took one week off). I really enjoy it. I've done weights before, and like the results.

I just started on myfitnesspal and am so glad to find the support etc.

I'm 52, and want to lose the extra 10lbs that midlife has found on my middle! Starting weight is 143, and I feel best when I'm around 130. I don't do well with just dieting, so I'm looking to focus on strength and fitness as well. I know that exercise will make me stronger and feel better, and I need visible results :)

I work in a creative field which means my schedule can be pretty irregular, and late nights and travel can derail my best intentions. I'm hoping to find support and encouragement to keep to a regular schedule with my training here, so thank you all for being here.

Not sure about the food side of the book... I find my digestion gums up with a higher protein diet, so that's all a work in progress. myfitnesspal recommends 1200 cals/ day net for me, and I intend to eat more as allowed by exercise (ie. if I burn an extra 300 I'll add that to my diet). Thoughts on diet/ exercise with NROL4W much appreciated!

Very excited to focus on this program and share our discoveries!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Everybody is scared initially. I know I was! But let me describe the feeling you get when you do your second round of part A. It's a sense of accomplishment, it's realizing you are not only stronger, but smarter than you thought. You become a "weight lifter" that sounds pretty impressive eh? You realize that the exercises aren't that scary and you become eager to see what your maximum deadlift is (because you now know what the hell a deadlift is). Your bum becomes tighter, your pushups become easier, your routine has been memorized and you're ready to start stage 2. Only this time you feel like you're going to dominate the new exercises instead of fearing them. It's not just about gaining muscle, you're gaining pride and confidence in yourself.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I just started on Saturday. Today was workout B since I realized that Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday would make for better lifting days with my current schedule. It's been awhile since I've been in an actual gym (last summer/fall). Been working out at home mostly P90x, Turbo Fire...so getting back to heavy weights feels amazing!! I've missed it.

I'm 29 (will be 30 in June!!) with 2 kids and a wonderful husband whose majorly dedicated to the gym. Been trying to get past those 'last few stubborn pounds' for what feels like eons. Been steadily working to clean up my diet. Eating more with this program has felt a little weird coming off a major deficit but with the workouts, I already feel the necessity of it. Looking forward to making some strength gains and accomplishing some goals!!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll :)

Hope you don't mind if I join the party here...

I just got the book in the mail and have been reading it before bed the last few nights. I recently made the switch from starving myself to fueling my workouts and it's done wonders for my energy level. Based on all the reviews I've seen on this site, I decided to pick up the book and see what it had to stay.

I plan on starting the program May 1 (which is 1 month after my switch to eating more), weighing in with a brand new scale (I tossed out the old and broken one when I started eating more, and just purchased a new one), so it's like a fresh new start. I am 28 years old, and currently weigh in somewhere between 270 and 280 at 5'9. So, pretty large, and I'm hoping that will not impede my progression to this program from using a grouping of the few exercises I knew how to do with weights and body weight. I am hoping the book I purchased with NROL4W (Women's Health: Big Book of Exercises) will be helpful in finding alternate exercises when there are those I just *can't* do.

I will be taking progress measurements on Monday mornings, starting in May, and I will be measuring several things to track my progress: Body fat percentage (I got an Omaron hand-held gizmo), measurements in inches, pounds on the scale, and because the doctor suggested it, I will also be tracking my blood pressure.

Anyway, that's me! :)
  • stickarms
    stickarms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My Name is Allison. I'm 27, and just ordered the book. I'm really looking forward to starting the program. I started lifting weights a year ago with the Smart Girls Do Dumb Bells book. It worked great, but now I am really concentrating on building some real muscle (I'm called stick arms for a reason).
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm 22 and I just graduated from college. I've always pretty much been an exclusively-cardio type of person until the last couple months where I added strength training. I did the first workout last night and I'm looking foward to doing my first B workout tomorrow! I will probably be doing the workouts at home for a little while until I gain confidence/familiarity with the equipment and what I can do. Luckily I have most of what I need with the exception of a low pulley system but I'd like to do it in the gym so that I have access to more weights. I'm planning on taking 'before' pictures today which is something I've never done before... eek! Feel free to add me!
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I bought the book a little while before Christmas when I was doing CLX. Loved the look of it but doing it at home I needed some more bits and pieces. After Christmas I have just done CLX again now I've made a better investment and started day one of this.

Comedy attempting to balance on the prone jackknifes but I'm sure I'll get there.

Hope everyone is great!
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I bought the book a couple of weeks ago - going to get some weights at the weekend, ready to start on Monday.....

I'm 35, have lost about 28lb, but still have about the same to lose. I like eating so doing it by diet alone was never going to suit me....reading this book makes sense & I am very much looking forward to starting.
    Currently eating about 1650 calories a day, not losing on this but hoping I will see a difference once I start. I'm 5'4 and currently about 165lb.
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've had the book for a while and will be starting on wednesday. Looking forward to it, but also alittle nervous.

Would love some lifting ladies as friends so feel free to add me :bigsmile:
  • kittymeeowmeeow
    kittymeeowmeeow Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting this today, but I'm afraid that I will stop losing weight. Unfortunately, the number on the scale is important to me.

My name is Amanda. I'm 31 and losing weight through counting calories and cardio.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm 42 and began my final weight loss journey in July 2009. I lost 125 lbs using a meal replacement program. I have maintained now for about 18 months. Currently I would still like to loose about 10 lbs, but I'm more concerned with how my body looks than the number on the scale.

I'm 5'4" and currently 145 lbs.
    I've been using the couch to 5k program recently and can now run 3 miles. I've also been using a Boot Camp app on my iPhone for strength and while I feel like its a good workout, I haven't seen much results. So here I am.

My goals for this program is to tone mainly my arms and reduce belly fat. Other results will be a plus. :-) I do have concerns with the amount of calories it suggests as it is about 500 more than I've been eating, but I'm committed to giving the program a 100% try.

Today was my day one. I underestimated what weight to start with so most of the exercises were not challenging enough. I'll fix that Friday. However, it was enough of a challenge and different enough from what I've been doing that I'll still feel it tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you and to the next chapter in my journey.
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting this today, but I'm afraid that I will stop losing weight. Unfortunately, the number on the scale is important to me.

My name is Amanda. I'm 31 and losing weight through counting calories and cardio.

Hi Amanda, try not to think about the scale too much (I know it's hard) as although it may not move much you will loose inches. I'm starting this week but in the last 2 months I have been doing more on the weight machines at the gym, alough my weight hasn't changed much I have lost inches and people who I havent seen for a while think I've lost loads of weight.
    My plan is to take measurements and pictures at the start and then as I finish each stage, hopefully this will show my progress even if the scale doesn't reflect it.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jessica. I've been doing the program for about 3 weeks now. I'd love to add some friends doing the program that update about it.

I'm 29, 5'11 and used to be a powerlifter in my teens (squatted 300!). These days, I can squat oh about 100 :/. I bought into HIIT is gonna get me the body I had before two kids and it just didn't happen. I've shifted my thinking and hopefully this program will show me the error of my ways. It's been a mental game for sure. I mean, not leaving the gym completely soaked and beat down? It's hard. Not starving all the time? hard. But I'm keeping the faith!
  • SME1976
    SME1976 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    I am Susan, 35 (36 at the end of May) wife and mom to 2 crazy boys (6 and 4). I haven't been on MPF vey long but I am certainly glad I am now. As of today I have decided to give NROL4W at try. I have been looking around the group and I think I like it. So my 1st step will be to get the book and see what I am in for. I am 10lbs from my goal and I am starting to want a more musclar tone then to just be "skinny" so this seems like the perfect place for me to be. I will start the program soon!
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lifters!
    Hiya! I'm Sarah, and (probably like most of the recent posters) cracked opened the book just yesterday!

I'm scared about getting rid of the (not HABITUAL) cardio that I do, and eating more.

I tend to lose focus and get anxious about things not working, so I really want a group to help me keep focus and stay committed even if I don't see results within a month.

I'm going to do this! And I'm going to be EXCITEDD!! Anyone looking for others to keep them accountable and share info/results?

Good luck, ladies!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Jess,

Just finished Stage 1, workout 1B today.
    Read the book a month ago. Have been eating at TDEE-15% for a month, ready to really start lifting now.

Nice to meet you all.
  • Tennybird
    Tennybird Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey thought I would stop in and say hello!

I'm a 35 year old (I really don't feel that old) SAHM of 3 kids.

I'm currently on workout 3A (did that today). Excited to see some muscles popping up that I forgot was there. Just the other night I was looking at the back of my leg at a bug bit and was worried because it was hard around the bite. Then my husband came and looked and said, "Silly that is your muscle!!". Sure enough I had it on the other leg too!

A little frustrated because I'm not seeing any inches lost or weight lost. I really need to pack the scale and tape measure away for a while! But at same time it is exciting to see the amount of weight I can lift increase.
  • serraxangel
    Options
    hey im Serra in New Zealand. just discovered that there are groups and boards on here hehe. have bought this book and recently joined the gym and had been alternating cardio with weights but with no real plan. really want to tone up my muscles but am scared of getting bigger... am a recovered anorexic so am careful now to eat enough for the exercise i do, just dont want to get bigger now that im at a healthy weight!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm C...

Mom to 4 teens and a 6 year old. I'm 47 and have a couple of health issues.
    I'm mainly here to lose the extra weight i gained the last two years working from home. Lost 25, 25 more to go!
    I'm 5'4" and 154. GW is 125.

Started New Rules of Lifting For Women regimen yesterday in addition to my warm up and 2 mile run. It appeared easy, but was challenging, just with 5 moves! Yes, you guessed it... today, I am sore!

I'd love to add new friends with similar interests, stats, life situations!

thanks!