Introductions

Options

Replies

• Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Hello guys! I am Nini and I am 27 years old. I have done about 6 workouts in Stage 1, I thought I was getting ready for Stage 2, but realized I didn't read my instructions very carefully! So I am going to do Stage 1 again after the next two workouts. I feeling very good with the program. Still having a hard time wrapping my mind around eating more. It tells me I should eat approx 1900 on non days and 2100 on workout days. I have been trying to eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. I'm not so good about making sure im at 30/30/40, but I at least try to keep protein around 30. I was doing a cutting calories diet and got down to 123 but I was "skinny fat" and I didn't think I looked very good. I really want some upper body strength and muscle definition. Right now I weighed 130 at the gym, which is more than I'd like, but I don't know what to do. So far I really am enjoying this exercise program! Please feel free to add me as a friend! I am certainly interested in learning more about the program and reading how everybody else is progressing.
  • Nnekaschild
    Nnekaschild Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Too shy to give my real name so just call me Nene.

I am 29 and have had the book for nearly 3 years but I kept on starting and stopping but will defo see it through to the end now. I am actively trying to lose weight so do quite a bit of cardio.

I am also training for a 10k race in July and my first half marathon in October. I really enjoy jogging and will be doing this along side NROLW.

I currently eat 1800 calories (gross) and according to my ki fit (body media fit) burn between 2200 - 3500 a day depending on if its a workout day or weekday. I will probably have to up my calories but I want to drop 1-1.5lbs a week.

Nice to meet you all.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! My name is Theo, finally got the book and plan to start and stick to it, because I slacked way off in March so hopefully strength training will get me back on track ^_^

I'm 21, 5'8" and floating around 170 pounds right now. I eat between 1600 and 1700 on non-workout days, and eat back some of my calories when I do work out, depending on how hungry I am.
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I've struggled to find a strength training program that would work for me and so far I'm thrilled with NROL4W. I've got quite a lot of weight to lose but I'm much more comfortable lifting weights than doing traditional cardio. I'm walking some days and lifting on others. I love how supportive everyone seems to be in this discussion group and I'm glad to be part of it.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name's Karen, and I love the Boston Red Sox. I'm an attorney and full-time WOHM. Here are some of my stats, and a condensed summary of my last 10 years or so from a weight/fitness perspective.

Height: 5'5"
    Highest Weight: 204 (July 2010)
    Current Weight: 192
    Cholesterol (2009): 170
    Cholesterol (2012): 202
    Body Fat % (3/19/12): 35.8
    Waist: 40"

I've been married 14 years, with 2 daughters, ages 8 & 4. The last time I went to a gym was before either of them was born. In 2001, I lost 50 lb. to go from 182 to 130'ish and maintained for a year before I got pregnant. I weighed 160 when my 1st daughter was born, and 145 shortly after, but then GAINED weight while nursing right back up to 160.

I lost 10 lb. eventually before I got pregnant with my 2nd daughter, who was born in '07, and Iweighed 176 when I delivered her. She weighed 7 lb., 11 oz., but two days later when I got home from the hospital, I'd only lost 4 lb. and weighed 172. I can't explain that, but it pissed me off. I didn't gain weight nursing though, and eventually got back to around 160.

In 2009, my husband lost his job, and simultaneously, my dept. of 9 people (6 attorneys & 3 support staff) was reduced to 2 attorneys (me and one other), which was incredibly stressful, and I ate to cope with that stress. I ate myself all the way from 155 (I had also lost about 5 lb. after a surgery in April 2009) to 204 in July 2010.

By December 2010, I'd lost 20 lb., but then my father was diagnosed with lung cancer, and again, I turned to food to manage stress, and saw my 20 lb. loss erode to about 8 lb. during the months he was ill and the months after he died (pretty much all of 2011).

In February 2012, I had a physical, and learned my own cholesterol had gone from 171 in '09 to 202 now, and my Dr. recommended exercise to lower it, so I joined the gym. I mainly do 1 hour 4-5x/week now using mainly the treadmill, elliptical & rowing machine, but on the advice of some members here, I decided to buy this book last week. I'm going to try to finish reading it this week, and start the workouts next week.

I'm a little scared, but I'm glad to have found this group, and hope to join the ranks of your successes.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Helen. I'll be 44 in a couple of weeks and am the single mom of a 19yo. I have spent the last year using the machines and folllowing the activtrax program at my gym, but I want to get back to a more free weight routine so I purchased the book and have read through it and am now working on getting myself psyched up to start the program.

Why do I need to psych myself up?, I used to lift heavy 20-25 years ago but I was guided by my then boyfriend who was a competitive powerlifter. Being 20 years older, I'm nervous about going into "guidoland" (as my daughter calls it) on my own and looking like an old bumbling idiot.
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Shanna and I am starting NROL4W today!! I am sooo excited!

My current stats are:

wt: 149
    Ht: 5'7"
    Non workout Calories: 2000
    Workout day calories: 2300
    BF%: 24.9
    Neck: 13.5
    Chest: 37
    Waist: 29.5(at belly button)
    Hips: 37
    RThigh: 23.5
    RArm: 11.5

I can not wait to see what changes are made in Stage 1!
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.......my name is Michele.

I just purchased The NROLW for women 2 days ago and I'm hoping to get through it this week and get started on Monday!!!
    I'm very excited about starting this program and it has created quite the buzz with several of my friends on mfp.
    Hoping it brings back that sexy shape I had in previous years and also hoping it helps me drop a few pounds!!!

Looking forward to sharing advice and learning lots from all you "pro's" here on NROL4W!!!!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi all - the book has just arrived here and I'm planning to read it during the next week or so. I have been inspired to do so by all the enthusiasm here! I'm Sheila, a teacher of English Lit - wife for almost 25years-mother of two and foster mother of many more. I began this 'getting fitter' plan with diet and swimming - have moved onto including walkinig and eliptical training. This looks like an interesting adventure into the unknown for me. I'd happily friend anyone thinking about starting the new rules.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    hi everyone,
    My book arrived last week, I failed to put in my suitcase when I went away over Easter, but am ready to get stuck into reading it tonight. Do I read it all before I start? I have a personal trainer plan that I can continue with while I read NROL4W.

I shoulda read this thread first, instead I introduced myself in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/562805-newbie-any-tips

Really looking forward to seeing some changes on the tape measure and in the mirror. I want to be a middle aged goddess not a wallflower :laugh:
  • JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I just recently joined this group after lurking for awhile. I am HORRIBLE at keeping up with the boards so I don't post a lot. If they could figure out how to let me jump directly to my post and only read what came after, maybe I would be better... but I digress...

My name is Jennifer (or Jen). I am 34 years old, 6'2" and currently weigh 208. I have lost 21 lbs on MFP since Jan 9th but the last couple of weeks I increased my calories after doing reading in NROL4W and other sources. The math made sense to me so I made the leap. But it has stalled the scale from moving for the last 2 1/2 weeks. UGH. My goal weight is somewhere between 170-180. I have never done a lot of lifting so I don't know what the scale will look like with a truly lean body mass. If I am toned, tight, and don't jiggle when I walk, frankly I don't care WHAT the scale says! :)

So, when I bought the NROL4W book, I had already committed to a 30 Day Shred challenge for April so I am in the middle of doing that. Which worked out well, because it has given me time to read the book, make a pretty spreadsheet to manage the workout and all around get excited about it. I plan on starting this program at the end of the month or the very first of May. I work full time and go to law school at night and I have finals that first week of May so my exact days are not set yet.

So what I am hoping for is to make a few new friends who are near the beginning of this program, but who are committed. I will lurk around the boards and post from time to time but mostly I use MFP to track and learn. Thanks in advance for accepting me with welcoming arms. If something I have said here interests you and you want to chat more, message me directly because I almost guarantee I won't see the response on the boards... Good luck everyone!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Hello..
    Im Deb 36 yrs old..Mother, wife, nurse, and have a love for lifting.

I bought the book a few month ago..and only last month finally read it. Conviinced my friend who works out with me 3-5x a week for the past 7 months to venture into this with me.. She agreed and is excited to see where this takes her as I also am.

Ive never been into sports unless it was random and in social gatherings..so that tells you my cardio level for my past life...=lazy. I often am still lazy but never miss my workouts and have become faithful to this. Pretty much around the same time I found my workout partner.. funny how all I needed was someone to hold my hand to get to the door. Now I find myself feeling guilty that im not doing as much as I once did before starting nrolfw the begining of this month.. bc of the rest days..but I must be patient.

GL to everyone and I look forward to seeing results!
  • lilflav
    lilflav Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello, I'm Lauren and I am a 32 yo mother of a 4 year old. I work 3/4 and am in nursing school. I started this program a few weeks ago because my pants weren't fitting me anymore and I had the option to buy new clothes or start working out again. Currently I am almost at the end of stage 1. I worked out and lifted weights for a long time, but have gotten out of the habit with the partying stage in my 20's and motherhood more recently.
  • 4KatieLynn4
    Options
    Hello, Im Katie im a 23 yo mother to a handsom almost 2 year old, and a wife. Im a SAHM who really never gave time to herself, intell i started the gym a few weeks ago. While lurking thru MFP i came across this book, read it all in one day, and was super excited. It took me a week to build up the courage to start it at the gym, but yesterday with my husbands guidance I DID IT!! Im so proud of myself and i cant wait for the next workout! Anyone feel free to add me, i need the support!!
  • chattinchick
    chattinchick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have the book in my possession, have gone through some of it and plan to start soon! I am a 41-year-old Mom of 2 (15 and 13) and have been working out with a trainer for about 3.5 years. I have lost almost 50 lbs. but it's been a yo-yo 3.5 years! I am looking forward to starting the workouts in the book and getting to know y'all here! I am from Alberta, CANADA! So glad there is a group for this book! Yay!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am on the way to the library to pick up a copy of NROLFW. I am 58, a mother of two beautiful daughters, married for 31 years to a great guy. Over the past 18 mos, I have gone from being sedentary to working out 3-4 times/week. I have lost 34 lbs. and have been stuck on a plateau since Jan. I am hoping this will be the thing I need. I am 5'6", currently weight 140 and wear a size 8. Ihad a total hip replacement 18 mos ago, which eliminates high impact exercises. I worked with a PT for about 9 mos, who designed an interval training program for me. Recently, I added JM 30 DS and JM RI 30 to my workout routine. I am at Level 2 with 30 DS and on Level 1 with RIP. I need variety, so I mix them with my regular workout.

I am satisfied with the way I look, but would like to reduce my body fat% and tone my saggy stomach muscles.

My calorie goal is set at 1400/day and I do eat back my exercise calories.

I look forward to being part of this group and meeting some new friends. Feel free to add me as a friend. Please include a brief note that you are part of this group.

Onward to the next chapter of my journey!!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I just got my copy of the book yesterday and am starting Stage 1 on Sunday.

I've been working out for years and using MFP every single day since Feb 2010. I lost a total of 52 lbs in a year but have gained about 5 back in the past 6 months. I need something new to inspire me, that's why I'm starting NWOLFW on Sunday, which just happens to be my 48th birthday!

My workout routine for the past several months has been 35 minutes walking on the treadmill, then alternating between a Kettlebell workout and an upper-body routine, following both with some core work & stretching. I'm still going to start off with some cardio but may cut it down to 25 or 30 minutes and see how it goes. I still plan on doing cardio on at least 2 of the "off" days, even if it's just riding my bike.

What is everyone else doing for cardio, anything?
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    Hey ladies! :happy:

I'm a newbie here. I am 32 and a stay at home mama to 3 little girls ages 5.5 and under. I am pretty out of shape right now, although more in shape than I was a couple months ago before I started this weight loss journey. I still have about 54 pounds to lose. In the last few weeks I have upped my calories and lowered the amount of cardio I do at the gym and upped all the weight that I lift on the "useless" machines at the gym.

I got NROL4W earlier this week and am almost finished with it. I have the eat more part of the equation down, but I have to say I'm a bit terrified of the workouts that are in the book. I really really want to start lifting heavy and to build muscle, but I am so overwhelmed with the idea of breaking into the "cave man" area of the gym. I have no idea how any of the barbells or removable weights work and honestly, I am worried about doing pushups at the gym.....I''ve never seen anyone do pushups there. My gym also doesn't have boxes, or benches or medicine balls like the book shows are needed for some workouts. I really wish I had someone who could go with me for the first couple times to hold my hand through it. I'm afraid that I'm going to hurt myself, and look like a complete idiot. Anyone here live in Raleigh?!?

I really need some encouragement, and any pointers that you may have. I workout at Planet Fitness so there aren't a bunch of gym instructors or trainers. I think there is just one dedicated trainer for the whole place and he doesn't work on the weekends. I want to be really pumped up about starting this, but I'm feeling anxious and defeated already. Help! :sad:
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi, Getabean!

Is it possible to schedule an appointment with a trainer for a time convenient for you? In the alternative, check out YouTube for instructional videos for the different exercises. When I started the program, my gym didn't have the box/step I needed, but when I asked them to provide one, they happily did. Maybe yours will do the same.

Even if the trainers aren't as knowledgeable as you'd like, have one of them with you when you train, even if for safety's sake only. Don't be anxious, but stay excited! Once you get started, you'll wonder why you felt intimidated! Enjoy yourself, have fun! It's a learning process and you'll be rockin' this program in no time!:bigsmile:
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    Just bought book today and am STOKED about doing this.

40/30/30

Cutting back on the cardio is going to take some getting used to..I have about 8 lbs to get to where I want to be...and I almost want to do that before I start this...but like the book says...if doing what you are doing isnt working for you (Ive stalled at this weight for a while) then change it.

Im lactose intolerant so some of the dietary recs are going to be a bit difficult - but not impossible.

If anyone had any words of wisdom for someone just starting out, please add me.

lily
    5'7
    133 lbs
    mother of three boys (8. 6. 20 months)

Going to try and finish reading the book this weekend.
    I have zumba on tap for monday but not real sure what the game plan is going to be.

Excited and nervous all at once!