Introductions

Options

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've decided to follow this group because I learn a lot from your postings. My name is Chris, I turn 55 in two weeks, and have lifted weights for about a year and a half. Been working with a personal trainer all this time and feel I can probably "break up" with her at this point since we have moved and it's a 1 1/2 hour drive to see her each week. I'm going to order the book and compare it to what I'm already doing and perhaps go to the next level. I lift "heavy" (for me, LOL) three times a week and take power sculpting classes that use lighter weights, high repetitions twice a week. I supplement with spinning class 3-4 times a week and cardio fusion and elliptical training to fill in the gaps. I reached my weight goal almost one year ago and my current physical goal is to be strong enough to do at least one unassisted chin-lift! I look forward to reading all postings on this board.

I will be finishing Stage 3 of NROLW tomorrow. I did my first unassisted, flat-footed from the floor chin-up last night!

Didn't expect it...just walking around, breathing, waiting for my rest period to expire...and thought "what the hell? Haven't tried one in a while." and BAM! First one I've ever done IN MY LIFE! I grinned all through the rest of my workout!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Teresa. I have been lifting weights for over a year. I first fell in love with lifting by starting to use Charlene extreme. Since then I've been doing various other weight training.
    I bought this book awhile ago and finally getting around to trying it.
    I am vegetarian. I am trying to get more protein in. I don't like eat tofu or really much soy products, so it is a bit of a challenge.
    I lost over 40 lbs and maintaining now. I really want to get strong and burn more body fat.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi Teresa!

I'm also a vegetarian and have been struggling to eat all of my protein. I started NROL a few days ago and really enjoy it so far.

ps - I'm also from PGH! Can't believe I've never seen you around before!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    What what a small world. :)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Hello! I started Stage 1 Day 1 yesterday.

I'm another vegetarian in maintenance, and yes, the protein thing is a challenge! I try not to have too much soya, so it's lots of greek yoghurt, Clif bars, hemp powder etc. I made 31% protein yesterday for the first time ever, but feel bad for the relative lack of fresh fruit and veg.

I don't have very clear objectives, other than being stronger, fitter and healthier - oh, and being transformed into a 21-year-old goddess of course (I'm 53). Should be easy!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've decided to follow this group because I learn a lot from your postings. My name is Chris, I turn 55 in two weeks, and have lifted weights for about a year and a half. Been working with a personal trainer all this time and feel I can probably "break up" with her at this point since we have moved and it's a 1 1/2 hour drive to see her each week. I'm going to order the book and compare it to what I'm already doing and perhaps go to the next level. I lift "heavy" (for me, LOL) three times a week and take power sculpting classes that use lighter weights, high repetitions twice a week. I supplement with spinning class 3-4 times a week and cardio fusion and elliptical training to fill in the gaps. I reached my weight goal almost one year ago and my current physical goal is to be strong enough to do at least one unassisted chin-lift! I look forward to reading all postings on this board.

I will be finishing Stage 3 of NROLW tomorrow. I did my first unassisted, flat-footed from the floor chin-up last night!

Didn't expect it...just walking around, breathing, waiting for my rest period to expire...and thought "what the hell? Haven't tried one in a while." and BAM! First one I've ever done IN MY LIFE! I grinned all through the rest of my workout!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sorry, learning how this website works and didn't get my message in! Okay, you inspired me to try a chin-lift on a harder setting. Barely cranked out one on #8 on the assisted chin-lift machine. That's an improvement for me.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Keri, age 35 and Im from New Zealand.

Im an experienced lifter and when I first took it on seriously I started out with Body for Life and lost 25 kilos and 50cms all over my body. I then had several leg injuries and lost my motivation and with that also gained 13 kilos. I lost interest in the BFL programme and I found it a bit boring. Recently I discovered NROL and the fire within has returned as it did when I first started BFL.

Im now on Stage one workout B and although still getting used to certain adjustments (as we all do with new programmes) Im loving it. Cant wait for six months time ladies
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am Kelly from Texas. I am 50 yr, 5'4" , 146lbs. I started "strength" training a couple years ago. In January I started Chalean Extreme. All I can say is WOW. I never in my wildest dreams thought this would be my fix, boy was I wrong. I am currently in the Push phase (failure @ 6-8 reps) and loving it. I have just started researching NROL4W and think I might like it.

Any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Hello, Marjie here, have done my first day of NRFL4W! I hope I get "pumped" in every way about this program. This is my first real try at lifting heavy so I will be very curious about how I feel and the results. I took the suggested "naked' pictures. (actually bra and shorts) which no one ever will see, hopefully :noway:. I am quite content with my physique when dressed but have a few roll and bumps that I would love to smooth out. I also took measurements so I will have a few ways to measure my success or lack there of. Muscles in moderation don't scare me. I have a few questions for others working thru this program...

* How closely are you following the recommended diet?
    * Did you up your calories when you began?
    * Is it worth it to purchase the easy adjusting weights to allow you to move thru the exercises smoothly?
    * Have you been losing inches in the places you have wanted to?
    * The biggee :laugh: Are my thighs going to grow? (I did a couple months of recommended exercises to prep for a ski trip and I gained almost an inch on each thigh!) I don't mind a little bulge in the bicep but not so fond of muscular thighs! :grumble:

Stats: I always like to see where others are at...
    I am 5"5" and 135+ or - a few
    50 years
    Have lost 26 pounds up to this point
    Would like to lose just a few more but not making this my main goal
    Am using protein powder to try to reach over 100 grams of protein a day. just not easy for me!

Thanks ever so much!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    * How closely are you following the recommended diet?
    * Did you up your calories when you began?
    * Is it worth it to purchase the easy adjusting weights to allow you to move thru the exercises smoothly?
    * Have you been losing inches in the places you have wanted to?
    * The biggee :laugh: Are my thighs going to grow? (I did a couple months of recommended exercises to prep for a ski trip and I gained almost an inch on each thigh!) I don't mind a little bulge in the bicep but not so fond of muscular thighs! :grumble:

Stats: I always like to see where others are at...
    I am 5"5" and 135+ or - a few
    50 years
    Have lost 26 pounds up to this point
    Would like to lose just a few more but not making this my main goal
    Am using protein powder to try to reach over 100 grams of protein a day. just not easy for me!

Thanks ever so much!

Welcome Marjie and all the other new joiners! More the merrier.

I'm not expert, I'm nearing the end of stage 1, but I can tell you what happened to me:
    I follow the calories recommendation bang-on, and my weight hasn't budged (which is what i wanted, i'm in maintenance so not eating at a deficit). I had been on 1250, this prog called for 1660, it is so nice to eat more and not gain weight! I eat about 200 extra on workout days too.
    I also do the 40/30/30 ratio he recommends and aim for 120g protein. Seems to work for me, i can feel more muscle.
    I workout at home, don't have easy adjustable weights, but changing them over gives me something to do in the 60 sec break and keeps my heart rate up.
    Yes- I have lost an inch on my tum already (see my blog for 4 week results)
    Thighs- I'm not measuring, but the muscle feels a lot harder, not sure if it's bigger tho. In theory if we're lifting high weights for low reps it should build dense compact muscle. Google 'staci power lifting hero' on nerdfitness website for inspiration!

Hope that helps.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Marjie- check out this link someone else posted, looks like her thighs got smaller over the 6 stages she's logged:

http://mealsandmiles.com/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-recaps/
  • FitBritt1
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am 21 and a full time college student studying Information Technology. I am already at a healthy weight (118-120lbs 5 ft 1inch) and I watch what I eat (1200 calories). I have only been on MFP for a few weeks but I love all the support and advice people give. I really wanted to tone up and I thought weight lifting would be a great idea, especially seeing ideas from bodybuilding.com. I hope that this group will help me learn more information. Good luck to everyone on there goals : )
  • silverpen193
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am almost 43 and at only 5 foot 3 I weigh 237 lbs (15lbs lost since Jan 2nd). I did weight training with my boyfriend about 2 years ago and loved it but, moved away and didnt have the equipment to continue as well as picking up a severe knee injury thanks to my cardio routine.. I survive depression and a major panic disorder which keeps me essentially housebound at the moment. So far my routine has been 80% cardio which I have been really unhappy with. I saw the recommendation for this book somewhere and am waiting for it to arrive from the US, in the hope that I can do this programme. It isnt due to arrive for another couple of weeks so have the female body breakthrough coming on monday to read in the meantime.
    Am a bit terrified at the idea of raising my calorie intake so high given that I am largely sedentary and have a fairly low bmr, but am just going to take a deep breath and see what the book says.
    :)
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hello nrol4w'rs,

i'm wendy, newish to the mfp community, but started in on my weight loss about a year ago. i read the book last week and started stage 1 this week.

this is the first time i've ever taken a fitness plan seriously and thought of it as a life change, not just a temporary plan. i was inspired to lose weight and get stronger by my girlfriend, who is entirely supportive of my goals. i'm 5'9, and started at 167 and am now at 128 and plan to stay here.

i'm mostly vegetarian, but i'll have fish once in a while, and i love to cook. i have a dairy allergy and intolerance and i just laid to rest my final lactose vice, greek yogurt.

my weight loss happened quickly, about 90% of it occurred between july and august of 2011, and i lost some muscle in the process, so now my goal is to look less scrawny and spindly and get much stronger.

i had a nasty bike accident in 2009 where i decimated my right a/c joint and had to have surgery to repair it. doctor says it's good as new, better even, and to do everything i ever wanted with it, but i'm careful. i'm babying it a little with lat pulldowns and shoulder presses. i'm checking in with the surgeon this week to make sure nrol4w is advisable given my injury.

i'm psyched to be here and to participate in this part of the board. i've never felt at home in an online community before mfp and the warm fuzzies just keep on coming. :D
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

i'm mostly vegetarian, but i'll have fish once in a while, and i love to cook. i have a dairy allergy and intolerance and i just laid to rest my final lactose vice, greek yogurt.

Welcome! As a vegetarian myself I have to say I would really struggle to reach the protein levels required without my greek yoghurt, so you have my sympathies. I suppose you will need to eat a lot more fish during the programme? Not sure how vegans manage, but i'd be interested to find out.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Welcome! As a vegetarian myself I have to say I would really struggle to reach the protein levels required without my greek yoghurt, so you have my sympathies. I suppose you will need to eat a lot more fish during the programme? Not sure how vegans manage, but i'd be interested to find out.

thank you! oddly, meeting protein isn't too much of an issue for me. i love eggs and egg whites, i eat a ton of lentils, and i have sunwarrior vegan protein powder. carbs and fats are where i fall short but with the calorie bump i got when i switched to maintenance, i can freely eat avocados and nuts again without too much worry. thanks for the welcome!
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My name is Katie. I'm 33 and a single mama to a 4.5yr old girl. I work from home, at night after my daughter has gone to bed, so sleep and freetime are both pretty much non-existent for me.

I just ordered the book and I can't wait for it to get here so I can start lifting. I'm 5'5" and started my journey with MFP in July at 192lbs. I've lost 23lbs but have mostly stalled out since November and am in need of a new challenge. I still have a lot of fat to lose but I love the idea of lifting heavy. I already carry a fair amount of muscle under this fat, so aiming for a muscular physique is more realistic for me than aiming for "thin."
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm Katie, 28 and am gonna dive into NROLFW! I've always been into exercise, weights, etc, but always afraid to "go heavy". Not anymore!! I've always been gym rat, but recently I've been burned out and somehow gained anxiety about going to the gym so I work out from home now (plus $$ is a factor). Since I live in a small 1 br apt, space is not something i have much of - so unfortunately I have to go with the basics - adjustable dumbbells and a balance ball. For step ups, I use a folding chair :) (yes, that high!). I can do this, or so I hope!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm Katie, 28 and am gonna dive into NROLFW! I've always been into exercise, weights, etc, but always afraid to "go heavy". Not anymore!! I've always been gym rat, but recently I've been burned out and somehow gained anxiety about going to the gym so I work out from home now (plus $$ is a factor). Since I live in a small 1 br apt, space is not something i have much of - so unfortunately I have to go with the basics - adjustable dumbbells and a balance ball. For step ups, I use a folding chair :) (yes, that high!). I can do this, or so I hope!

Welcome Katie. I'm on Stage 1 and working out at home too, but I was having a look further into the programme this morning, and chin-ups are on the agenda with no obvious alternative. I had a look on Amazon and you can get a chin up bar really cheap; it fits into a door frame without the need for screws etc. Trouble is, I also bought a barbell and now I want a squat rack but have no room. And then there's the bench ...