Introductions

Options

Replies

• Yolanda1604
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Yolanda. I am 25 years old. My husband and I have a 4 year old daughter. I am a full time graduate student in my last semester of my Masters program. I just got admitted into the PhD program and will be starting in the fall. I spend 20 hours at my practicum site a week (Counseling Psych major) and I work for the university for 20 hours. My classes are all at night. I wake up at 5 AM every morning to exercise at home. There is just no way I could get to a gym. I used to be aroun 170 lbs until I had my daughter. I dropped down to 160 one month after her birth, but over the last past few years I managed to gain 60 pounds. On 1/2/12 I was 217 lbs. Today I am down to 208. My body was over 40% fat. Starting 1/2/12, I have done 90 minutes on the elliptical 6 times a week. This week I started doing tricep dips and dumbbell rows on M/W/F. I also decreased my cardio to 60 minutes on the days that I lift weights. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I expected my weight loss in the first month to be at least 15 lbs. I do think it may be because I am only eating 1100-1400 calories a day. I really want to build muscle and lose fat, I am just now sure how to do it. To help I joined this group and purchased NROLFW. I am also entered into a 90 day weight loss challenge (today is day 30). Since I still have so much weight to loose (50 lbs by June), should I still up my calorie intake?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Yolanda. I am 25 years old. My husband and I have a 4 year old daughter. I am a full time graduate student in my last semester of my Masters program. I just got admitted into the PhD program and will be starting in the fall. I spend 20 hours at my practicum site a week (Counseling Psych major) and I work for the university for 20 hours. My classes are all at night. I wake up at 5 AM every morning to exercise at home. There is just no way I could get to a gym. I used to be aroun 170 lbs until I had my daughter. I dropped down to 160 one month after her birth, but over the last past few years I managed to gain 60 pounds. On 1/2/12 I was 217 lbs. Today I am down to 208. My body was over 40% fat. Starting 1/2/12, I have done 90 minutes on the elliptical 6 times a week. This week I started doing tricep dips and dumbbell rows on M/W/F. I also decreased my cardio to 60 minutes on the days that I lift weights. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I expected my weight loss in the first month to be at least 15 lbs. I do think it may be because I am only eating 1100-1400 calories a day. I really want to build muscle and lose fat, I am just now sure how to do it. To help I joined this group and purchased NROLFW. I am also entered into a 90 day weight loss challenge (today is day 30). Since I still have so much weight to loose (50 lbs by June), should I still up my calorie intake?

if you're starting to lift weights, up your calorie intake...I'm at 208lbs right now and I've upped mine to 1860. I was at 1560 and lifting, with absolutely no results...as soon as I upped my calories, the weight started coming off. I know it's a scary thing to do, but once you do all the equations from New Rules, you'll realize your deficit is to big. Read the book, it will explain everything, and then change your macros in the settings portion so you have more protein and carbs...I can't remember what the ratio is, but you will read it in the book. Good luck!
  • Yolanda1604
    Options
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. Will do :)
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My name is Christy, I'm 26 years old and just started nrol this week. I completed my first workout A on Saturday, and I was so sore for days! Attempting my first workout B this afternoon. I'm a little nervous about using the barbells for the first time, but I'm going to give it my all!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Dawn, and I just got my New Rules book the day before yesterday. I am 43 years old, mother of two teenagers and one 8 year old step-son. I just got remarried in 2009 to a wonderful supportive hubby. I joined MFP in October, wanting to lose 10 pounds. I lost the 10 pounds fairly easily by watching my calories and doing cardio. But now I want to get rid of the flab! I thought this program looked promising.

I do admit it that scares me though. To start with, I’m so totally uncoordinated. I mean really really uncoordinated. I often walk into walls on accident. I’m not kidding. I have the hardest time getting my body to do things that other people seem to have no problem doing. So that concerns me.

Also, I’m an almost 6-year breast cancer survivor. Ever since my first surgery, I’ve been told not to use my affected arm (where they removed lymph nodes) to do any repetitive motion or to lift anything over the weight of my purse. This is due to the potential of developing lymphedema, which is a permanent disease. But now, they’ve come out with new studies that show that weight lifting is PROBABLY not dangerous, and may even be beneficial in preventing lymphedema. But no one really knows for sure. So I admit, the possibility of causing lymphedema scares me – a lot. Also, I’ve had multiple reconstructive surgeries, the last one where my doc disconnected some of the nerves in my chest that control muscle movement. I’m concerned that not only will I not be able to do the activities in the program correctly, but I that I also may mess up my reconstruction.

But, having said all this, I really want to get stronger and get rid of my flab. It seems the only way to do this is to lift weights. I’ve never done it before, so we’ll see how it goes!
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hiya everyone. My name is, Vickie and I've been with MFP for about a month now but just joined this group tonight. I'm 27, single, work full time and trying to get back into school. I'm hoping to start my lifting (at home) starting next week on the 7th when I can go out and buy some hand weights. I look forward to learning some tips, interacting and such with you all.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many people joining in in! Welcome.

Dawn, I doubt anyone here can advise on your particular medical situation, but we can sure help you work out and admire your bravery for trying! I'm also at my maintenance weight with some wobbly bits, and even after only 4 workouts it's all firming up.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday - workout 1A !

I am hurting a bit today but not as much as I had hoped, I think I may have played it a bit safe with the weights.

I am 33, from the UK and am married with no kids (yet!) and I am a secondary school teacher.

I joined MFP last May, lost 25lb so am now maintaining but I am actually eating over my maintenance calories at the moment in an attempt to build muscle & get more protein in my diet.

I have never lifted weights before, except in Body Pump classes which I love. I also love Zumba and running.

I've decided to ditch the scales and concentrate more on my shape from now on, but still using MFP to track my diet.

Really looking forward to getting into something new as maintenance can be really boring without the challenge of weightloss to keep you motivated:smile:
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many people joining in in! Welcome.

Dawn, I doubt anyone here can advise on your particular medical situation, but we can sure help you work out and admire your bravery for trying! I'm also at my maintenance weight with some wobbly bits, and even after only 4 workouts it's all firming up.

It's good to hear that it's already working for you. I'm going to start on Friday. That'll give me a week to practice those prone jackknife things here at home before I attempt them at the gym!

Funny thing is, none of my doctors really have a clue about exercising and its effects on lymphedema either. Thankfully, I did get the go ahead from my plastic surgeon. I guess I'll just have to give it a try - carefully!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I'm new to the group and heavy lifting. I just had a session with a personal trainer this morning to learn good form, and I'll be getting started with the program on Monday. I'm excited to get started - I feel like I've been exercising "wrong" my whole life, and I can't wait to see what lifting heavy does for me. Looking forward to getting to know everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 32 to mom of 3, going to be 4! I started the NROL at the beginning of the year (before I found out I was pregnant). I'm about to finish up stage 1 this week. I'm hoping I'll be able to continue this routine as far as I can while pregnant.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sam,
    I'm new to MFP, and I'm excited to be buying the book tomorrow. I've been saving a B&N giftcard from Christmas LOL.
    I'm 32, wife and mother of 2 amazing boys, 7 and 4, and I work as an elementary special education teacher in a large urban district here in Jersey.

I'm what you might call a skinny fat person. I'm 5'6'', 5'5'' and 3/4 if you want to be technical, and I topped out at 160lbs, 31% body fat. While I carry a whole lot of extra junk in the trunk, I've never looked overweight, outside of a bathing suit. (Pear-shaped so supper skinny up top and heavy legs)

I made myself into a typical over-worked mom. I NEVER made any time for myself or my health. Never thought I needed to because the 30 extra pounds crept up VERY slowly and I was always healthy. Until I turned 30... I always say I'm too young to be this old. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, hypersomnia, and sciatica. I thought, WHAT GIVES?! Last year I half-*kitten* started to exercise, because "I'm not changing my diet." Husband got me an elliptical that I used almost every day for three months. I didn't see any difference so I stopped. Last summer I won a gym membership at a basket-auction, so I did various cardio classes 4 days a week for 6 weeks. I even managed to control the hypoglycemia better by reducing meals and spreading my calories out more. No sense eating big meals if I'm just going to get again in two hours. Managed to cut 300-500 calories a day (even though I'm not sure what I started at). Again NO CHANGE. I stopped again. That's when I was diagnosed with the hypersomnia. It took three doctors and a barrage of tests to figure out what was wrong with me. Finally I said enough! Time to get healthy, and if I loose the extra 30lbs along the way, even better LOL.

I joined MFP and LA fitness on January 15th and have already lost 8 lbs, and people do notice. Not to mention I feel great. Not so tired, and not nearly as hungry. I even enjoy my meals more (things seems to taste better now) I heard about nrol4w on one of the threads, and I knew it had to be for me. I was given a little information by a persona trainer and for me, a little information is a dangerous thing. I've been using a workout I found on livestrong.com and mixing it with cardio. I still do the elliptical, but now I'm back in the pool (high school swim team), and doing zumba (LOVE ZUMBA). To be honest I'm a little intimidated to go in the free weight area, even though I loved it in high school, but it gets easier every week.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!!

I'm Jennie. 31 years old, "Mom" to 2 ridiculous cats, and newly engaged (ok, December, but still...). We get married on 8/5/12, so I am hoping to lose 'the last 10' by then.

I'm a long-time runner, have been a spinning instructor for about 1.5 years, and am no stranger to weights. I run 2-3 times a week (one long run of 10-16, once a week), spin 3x/week, and lift 3-4x/week. I bought NROL4W almost a year ago, and like someone posted way early in this thread, was shocked at how much he was telling me to eat. At the time I was at 123ish, eating 1250-1400 a day, with one 'cheat' day (I call it a spike day, now! :) ), and no concept that I was doing a great job at slowing my metabolism. Fast forward about 4 months and I lost my mom to a long battle with cancer (still miss you every day, Ma xoxo), put on a few, and that few became about 10 over the following 2-3 months. Went back to my previous eating patterns and suddenly they were not working. Kept at it for months, still no good. Finally saw a nutritionist in late November and she tells me I should be eating at least 1900, if not even 2500, to LOSE WEIGHT. I told her she was insane. She told me I do "insane amounts of cardio" and need to feed my body or my metabo would continue to be in the toilet. I didn't really think I did that much cardio because this had become the norm for me. I really resisted. I cried. For someone w/ sever body image issues, and years of somewhat disordered eating habits, this was really hard for me.

It's been a long, scary road, but I'm finally on board w/ eating enough to fuel my exercise in order for my metabo to let go of fat. In this process, I discovered MFP through a gym friend, and lo and behold, here was a free diet program which completely backed up what my nutritionist was telling me. She told me if I wasn't netting at least 1300 a day, I was not eating enough. And MFP set me at 1350 (.5 lb/week).

I made friends w/ a few gals who follow the NROL4W program, so I decided to revisit it. Now that the food thing wasn't so shocking and outlandish, I felt more willing to accept the program. I think I will miss doing curls, but I am psyched to get better at pushups.

I started today, at week 3 of stage 1. I started there because it's similar to where I have been for a while, with reps. I was doing circuit training, 3 rotating sets of 15 for a total circuit. I'm excited to try this "lifting heavy" thing, and see if it causes the body transformation I am hoping for!

I really hope to get stronger, drop some serious body fat, and maintain and build muscle and strength. I don't want to cut back on cardio, though, so I am a little worried about that, especially as racing season starts. I guess I'll figure it out!

Ok, hella rambling. See you guys on the boards!!! :)
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

I'm Alex, 24, vegetarian (pls add me if you're also veg!) I joined MFP in January and started NROL on February 16. I'm also newly engaged and the running joke is that I will deadlift my SO at our wedding.

I exercise at a University gym with lots of intimidating, svelte college kids. I'm comfortable with the ladies on the elliptical, but feel terrified and conspicuous with the dudes in the weight room. It's such a small room, and I'm such a small person, and the weights that I lift are so small...but I'm working on it!

Big thanks to all of the inspiring, strong ladies who have written about their journeys here. It's incredibly helpful to read your tips and what you've learned. Best of luck, all! Thanks for reading!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am Jamie, 33 years old. I have a full time job and am a full time MBA student. I just put this book on hold at my library and am looking forward to reading it and getting started.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Hi i just bought the book yesterday! Im 5'2 123lbs i got down to 110 but wasnt as toned i always lifted but mostly circuit training! I will be doing workout at home! I have 2 diff steps 100lb barbel set of 3,5,10,15lb dumbbells! I have a stability ball i dont have a bench!
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Reyna, living in Aurora, Colorado, 36 yr old single mother of 4 and grand mother of 1. I work a full time job and a part time job on Saturdays. I am looking forward to this group and all it has to offer. I'm somewhat new to the weight training in my new lifestyle so I figure I needed to learn and do it right.
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Andrea. I'm 41, have a 22 yr old daughter and a 3 yr old granddaughter. I just bought the book today and i'm excited about incorporating this into my exercise regimen. This is my first group on MFP and i'm hoping to be inspired and motivated.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've decided to follow this group because I learn a lot from your postings. My name is Chris, I turn 55 in two weeks, and have lifted weights for about a year and a half. Been working with a personal trainer all this time and feel I can probably "break up" with her at this point since we have moved and it's a 1 1/2 hour drive to see her each week. I'm going to order the book and compare it to what I'm already doing and perhaps go to the next level. I lift "heavy" (for me, LOL) three times a week and take power sculpting classes that use lighter weights, high repetitions twice a week. I supplement with spinning class 3-4 times a week and cardio fusion and elliptical training to fill in the gaps. I reached my weight goal almost one year ago and my current physical goal is to be strong enough to do at least one unassisted chin-lift! I look forward to reading all postings on this board.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! It's so nice to see so many ladies starting this program! Strong is the new sexy!