Introductions

Options

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Anne. I’m 42, 5’9”, 171 lbs, and still trying to lose another 20 lbs or so. I work out at home with limited equipment—dumbells and swiss ball, with modified exercises. Is anyone else doing something similar?

I started NROL4W with workout A yesterday and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to workout B on Wed. I’m sort of doing a trial run until my adjustable dumbbells arrive (hopefully by the end of the week). I just used 5lb barbie weights yesterday. It ended up being almost a cardio workout, because I had a hard time sitting still between sets (60 secs seemed like a LONG rest) and found myself dancing during the rest periods. Something tells me this isn’t an issue with heavier weight… Can’t wait to begin the program in earnest when I get the new dumbbells!

And it’s nice to see other vegetarians here! I eat dairy, nuts, whey protein, some fish, limited soy, beans, but no eggs. It just seems like getting enough is always a challenge for me. I try for around 115g/day, but don’t always make that.

13438744.png
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Anne! Welcome!

Yeah, the 60 second rests are long, but they get longer! (Although, by then, you need a little more.) I dance, do ballistic stretching, set up for my next set, just about anything but "rest". I do think it is important to keep your muscles warm in between. You'll know what feel right as you get farther into it.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I just used 5lb barbie weights yesterday. It ended up being almost a cardio workout, because I had a hard time sitting still between sets (60 secs seemed like a LONG rest) and found myself dancing during the rest periods. Something tells me this isn’t an issue with heavier weight… Can’t wait to begin the program in earnest when I get the new dumbbells!

And it’s nice to see other vegetarians here! I eat dairy, nuts, whey protein, some fish, limited soy, beans, but no eggs. It just seems like getting enough is always a challenge for me. I try for around 115g/day, but don’t always make that.

13438744.png

Barbie weights - love it! And oh yes, there are a lot of us (veggies) around!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join if its ok, just entering phase 3 of Jamie Eason Live Fit - then its a week off (in France! ) then back to the gym. thought this would be a good place to continue . I want to keep lifting and eating clean but I want a less constrictive approach than Jamie Eason and really only want to be in the gym 3 x a week. as I work full time and have a georgous 4 year daughter and very sexy young husband to have fun with in the weekends!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Thanks :flowerforyou: Jenlwb for all the good information and the great blog tip Meals and Miles. Inspirational.

I have done day 2 of stage 1 and can tell I am going to feel my muscles for sure. (Jacuzzi today) . I am going to up my calories slowly I figure instead of just jumping them up. Is that a good way to go? My plan is to do the weights 2 days a week and 3 if I can get real motivated and lose the soreness sooner in between. I do cardio, (elliptical, walking, jog/walk on my non weightlifting days.) I do have some quick plyo routines that I like. Would they be counterproductive in this routine?

Thanks for your input. So great to "talk" to the experts! :happy:
    Marjie
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    So I thought I ought to officially say "hello", now that I noticed there is an intro thread here. LOL

I'm Karen, 34, Canadian military wife, mom of two girls and new to the world of lifting. I saw the post on NerdFitness about Staci and that just started the ball rolling... I found my way to the NROLFW book and was sold within a few pages. (I even bought the men's version for my hubby and we're looking forward to working out together once he has a new CO and can set up his own workout schedule instead of going to assigned fitness classes.)

I joined a weight-loss competition here on our base with the goal of losing a lot of weight, but over the last six weeks I've realized that I'm making bigger changes than what shows up on the scale. I'm hoping that number starts shrinking, too, of course, but for now I'm just watching the inches drop and I'm ecstatic. I've dropped a full clothing size in that time even though I'm only down about 4 pounds. :smile:

Ultimately I want to be strong and healthy coming into my mid-thirties and beyond, to set a good example for my kids, and to make my hubby proud. Which I totally have already, and it's only going to get better. :smile:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks :flowerforyou: Jenlwb for all the good information and the great blog tip Meals and Miles. Inspirational.

I have done day 2 of stage 1 and can tell I am going to feel my muscles for sure. (Jacuzzi today) . I am going to up my calories slowly I figure instead of just jumping them up. Is that a good way to go? My plan is to do the weights 2 days a week and 3 if I can get real motivated and lose the soreness sooner in between. I do cardio, (elliptical, walking, jog/walk on my non weightlifting days.) I do have some quick plyo routines that I like. Would they be counterproductive in this routine?

Thanks for your input. So great to "talk" to the experts! :happy:
    Marjie

Hoosiermomma! That's two threads we have in common - welcome!
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey there, mind if I join? I just finished reading the book and I have an appt to meet with a trainer in the morning just to go through all the exercises in stage 1 so I can make sure I know where to go and how to do it when I start by myself on Monday.
    I think what scares me the most is the fact that I am going to need to eat so much more than I currently do. Right now on MFP I am at 1200 calories per day plus I am eating my exercise calories back. I have lost a little over 30lbs in past 5 months and while I am pretty happy with where I'm at and not really looking to lose any more (of course a few more lbs off wouldn't hurt ) , I am most concerned about not gaining it back.

The book makes so much sense but my mind has always been programmed the opposite way. Please tell me it's gonna be ok!! :)

I look forward to getting to know you all and please feel free to friend me, I would love some support from other NR women!!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Michele. I have never really used the weight room except a couple of times alone at my current apartment complex. I will get used to it in the coming weeks. I will start week 1 tomorrow! SO EXCITED!
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Welcome Joce and Michele!

Check in with us on the NROLW Daily Chat thread...all stages, all topics, all the time!!
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Stephanie and I've fallen in love with weight lifting. I just recently bought the NROLW book. I plan on starting the program this month!
  • Teenytiny07
    Teenytiny07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just joined the group today and only been on MFP a couple of weeks. My name is Rebecca and I am a mum to two little girls aged 3 & 4. I am interested in lifting heavy weights and received the NROL4W a couple of days ago and haven't finished reading it yet.

I am keen to get going but wavering over a couple of things. I haven't been a member of a gym for over 10 years and generally workout at home. A gym feels quite scary so not sure whether to look into doing the plan at home.

We have three gyms locally the first is mainly machines it doesn't really seem to encourage heavy lifters so that's out. The other two I really need to go and look at. one is run by the local running club. It has a free weights section but don't know if it is really geared up for what I am interested in - we' ll see when I visit. The other is definitely a muscle gym. My husband knows the owner who is friendly bloke but they only have a couple of lady members. I am quite shy and at the moment feel a bit intimidated by such a masculine environment. I'll see how I feel when I visit.

I know I want to do it. Really I just need to get on and take the jump and get in the gym. I am such a scaredy wuss.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Welcome all!

Bec- you're so lucky to have a decent gym! Get the friendly guy to show you around, I bet the other fellas will be impressed to see a lady giving it a shot. You should get some offers of help too! Go for it.

fitjoce- take the leap of faith, the calculations in the book seem to be working for most of us, and it's so nice to be able to eat! A few weeks in and lots of us have found our metabolisms have gone nuts and we're eating even more just to fuel our muscles, and still losing inches! So much more fun than 1200 cals per day :drinker:
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello - my name is Dana, married, mother of on 6-year old girl. I finished reading NROL4W and am very excited to be starting this coming Tuesday! I've always needed to lose a little weight (20 lbs. or less) but struggle with the eating side of the equation. I like to be active, have done my share of cardio :), and usually only lose a few pounds. The last week or so I've been so crabby and foggy.....now I realize I wasn't eating enough and really doing the wrong type of exercise to achieve the results I want. I'm not so concerned about the number on the scale anymore, just want to look good in my clothes (and be healthy as I go into my 40s - I'm 39 this year). Glad to have found this group and look forward to sharing my journey with everyone.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    hi all! my name's phyllis and i'm 30 yrs old. i have been a gym rat on and off for about 2 years now. i had lost 45 lbs and gained some back so i'm getting back in shape. althought i love the way weight lifting makes me feel i never stuck to a plan. after being introduced to new rules i was skeptical but it kept popping up everywhere. so i purchased it saturday and finished reading it yesterday. i'm starting stage 1, day 1 today and looking forward to it. i'm going to stick with my cardio as well, i still have close to 40 lbs to loose and i found a love for running so i don't want to give it up. i'm also getting married this october and i have my final dress measurements coming up at the end of the month, so i'm hoping for some progress between now and then! hoping to get to know some of you other new rules ladies :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Elisabeth. I started NROL4W last week. So far it's kicking my butt. It seemed easy at first, but I'm finding it really challenging and I'm enjoying it (although the soreness not so much). I decided to give this a go as nothing else is working and I've seen wonderful results posted on the board.

I've been on a 6 month plateau from hell. Hope this breaks it. Even if I don't lose a lot of weight (I really don't have all that much left to lose, maybe 20 lb), I definitely expect to lose inches and body fat.
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Hi, I'm Elisabeth. I started NROL4W last week. So far it's kicking my butt. It seemed easy at first, but I'm finding it really challenging and I'm enjoying it (although the soreness not so much). I decided to give this a go as nothing else is working and I've seen wonderful results posted on the board.

I've been on a 6 month plateau from hell. Hope this breaks it. Even if I don't lose a lot of weight (I really don't have all that much left to lose, maybe 20 lb), I definitely expect to lose inches and body fat.

Welcome! And yes, the workouts are deceptively easy. Next day, a little sore; then the day after that...OMG! But we all love the soreness as it means we're getting stronger!

I'm confident NROLW will break your plateau...but a warning: the scale will lie to you, now. Between water-uptake for muscle repair, and actual muscle growth, the scale won't be a good gauge of your progress. Take measurements and throw the scale in a closet!
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Hi mollisep! Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Glad you could join us!

danascot, welcome to you as well. You're gonna love eating like a lifter, once you get your head wrapped around it. I've been eating a 300+ calorie surplus DAILY, plus exercise cals per HRM, since November 1st, when I started NROLW. Total gain so far: 3.5 pounds.

Hope you both enjoy the program!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Welcome! And yes, the workouts are deceptively easy. Next day, a little sore; then the day after that...OMG! But we all love the soreness as it means we're getting stronger!

I'm confident NROLW will break your plateau...but a warning: the scale will lie to you, now. Between water-uptake for muscle repair, and actual muscle growth, the scale won't be a good gauge of your progress. Take measurements and throw the scale in a closet!
    Yeah, I'm expecting that. I know there's initially going to be fluid retention so I'm afraid to weigh myself. Going to try and hold out at least a month because despite the fact that I know the weight isn't fat, my mind isn't always logical.

And thanks for the welcome! :happy:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just got the book a week ago and started on Tuesday. We also just got a sweet set up for weights at home so I can do everything in the basement. Probably will just need some larger dumbbells soon.

My name is Jen. I'm married with 4 boys (12,8,5,1). They have all kinds of activities going on all the time and I work full time, so my workout time is generally at 5 am every morning. I've always been pretty active, but never really focused on weight loss until I had my 3rd child and had gotten all the way up to 183 lbs. I lost 30 lbs before getting pregnant with my 4th and I'm finally back down to that pre-pregnancy weight of 152.7 lbs (as of this morning). I would like to get down to 130 lbs (I'm 5'6"), but would really like to focus more on getting the fat gone. Even when I was at 130 before having kids, I was always what is now considered "skinny fat."

I've been losing at a steady rate of .5lb a week since I started in October, but my body composition hasn't changed much. The last time I lifted weights was in high school and it was just for PE credits, not to seriously change my body or get strong. I'm hoping I can do that this time around though.