Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Week 6, Day 1 complete!

I live in Northeastern Minnesota and it's been a very cold, wet spring/summer. I typically run in the mornings (6am during the week) so it's been in the 30's and 40's. Last week our high temps were in the 50's. We finally had a warm-up (81 degrees today) and I just went out for my run. For a lot of the country I realize that's cool right now, but that's double the temperature I'm used to. I'm definitely going back to mornings, but it was a very different run than most!

I know. During C25k I was waiting for it to warm up so I could really get out there. Now I'm working on acclimating to the heat. I DO NOT envy you your winter (I grew up in Minneapolis and actually lived in Bena for a few years). But a nice 50 degree run sounds like bliss.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I've read that week 4 may seem difficult if you are not at a slow enough pace. Several people said that you can go slower than you think. I thought I was going slow enough but decided to give it a try and slow down for W4D1. I actually jogged slower than I walked and sure enough, I was able to get through both 3 min jogs and 5 min jogs without any problems. (AMAZING FOR ME!!!) My lungs are grateful for this pace but my legs are feeling the burn. Now the question is, "Did I go too slow?" At least I can say W4D1 DONE!

Nope, not too slow. You have officially done what you need to do to be a successful graduate of the program and have the skills to build speed and endurance afterwards. It's really that simple.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I figured by running tonight I could sleep in a bit in the morning, but I missed the fresh morning air and basically having the road to myself. There aren't sidewalks along most of my usual routes so it's nice when there's less traffic since I'm actually on the street.

Sidewalks are actually a harder and less even running surface anyway, so many people recommend the street when possible.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Week 8, day 2 done and dusted tonight . . . . found it harder than usual. Had 2 x 30sec walks cause of the stitch :(

The dreaded side stitch!

Side stitches are usually caused by eating and may possibly be caused by breathing cadence. Try changing your breathing so you exhale when your left foot lands instead of your right.

You can also try balling your hand and pressing it up under your ribcage. Other than that, you just have to walk it off. Marathoners have to walk it off.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    W2D3 complete! Yay :D
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    W5 d2 done, was a bit worried about it tbh but came through it fine certainly not as bad as I had been anticipating !

Bring on day 3 eeek
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Did W5D1 last night, and I felt so good! Of course it was kind of tough, but I didn't feel like I needed the walking intervals when they came around. I took them so I wouldn't wear myself out and set myself back, but I felt really good being able to do 3 5-minute runs considering I couldn't run more than 1-minute without wanting to collapse a couple months ago.

One thing I noticed though... my knees are pretty sore today. I've never had problems with my knees before. I have bad hips and lower back problems (genetics and weight related), but those aren't bothering me at all. Strange. Today is lifting day though so hopefully I can get through the deadlifts and lunges without problems.
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    W5D1 completed last night. I actually think I took this one almost too slow. I was pacing myself for 4 runs, and was surprised when the cool down came after the 3rd one! I am pretty sure I could have ran another one at the end.

But I am now confident that I can finish out week 5 if I just go at a slow pace.

Just last week I was sure I was never going to get past week 4. I had no idea how much pacing mattered. In fact, since I forced myself to slow down I haven't struggled with breathing at all. The walks are really to just give my legs a short break.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Week 4, Day 2 this morning. It was rainy and fairly miserable, but the run felt good! :)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Another hot, sweaty day. Ugh. Took me 50 mins. to do 5K again. Too slow for what I want to do in my first run, but I just seem to be stuck there. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away and have faith that speed will come. I ran a different path today without much shade, which I think made a difference.

I may try a night run, but I need to get some industrial strength bug repellant first. We have a new mosquito strain here that actually made the news for its size and viciousness. It's like a 70s horror movie!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 7, Day 2! Yay me! Yesterday I did Week 7, Day 1 and when I got done with work my daughter wanted to go out. She was on Week 2, Day 1 so I did that with her too. I am feeling stronger each day!
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1 done! Yay! I am doing the podcasts off of 5k101. I have to run in the old horse pasture that needs to be mowed and ended up with soaking wet socks and shoes after because it rained last night. But I got it done!
  • destructor2013
    Options
    I'm repeating W1 this week because I haven't finished 30 minutes for all 3 days of it yet, but I'm 2 for 2 this week so far. Friday will be 3 for 3. Today was the first time I wasn't completely exhausted when I finished, I was amazed. I even kicked the bed post when I got up in the middle of the night last night and it hurt like heck but I still did my C25K day anyways. When I was out there it didn't bother me at all, which surprised me. Next will I'll be able to start W2 finally it looks like. :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1 done! Yay! I am doing the podcasts off of 5k101. I have to run in the old horse pasture that needs to be mowed and ended up with soaking wet socks and shoes after because it rained last night. But I got it done!

Congratulations on starting! Big milestone!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It's great you're keeping at it!

I repeated W2 as I'd such a long gap between doing it and starting W3 I wasn't confident I'd have been able to move on smoothly.

Good luck moving up - W2 isn't bad at all :)
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've read that week 4 may seem difficult if you are not at a slow enough pace. Several people said that you can go slower than you think. I thought I was going slow enough but decided to give it a try and slow down for W4D1. I actually jogged slower than I walked and sure enough, I was able to get through both 3 min jogs and 5 min jogs without any problems. (AMAZING FOR ME!!!) My lungs are grateful for this pace but my legs are feeling the burn. Now the question is, "Did I go too slow?" At least I can say W4D1 DONE!

Nope, not too slow. You have officially done what you need to do to be a successful graduate of the program and have the skills to build speed and endurance afterwards. It's really that simple.

Thanks, I thought that maybe I had slowed it down too much. The slow pace is great for my breathing, it was the best ever! I'll keep that pace and work my way through. So looking forward to each run now and not afraid :happy:
  • destructor2013
    Options
    It's great you're keeping at it!

I repeated W2 as I'd such a long gap between doing it and starting W3 I wasn't confident I'd have been able to move on smoothly.

Good luck moving up - W2 isn't bad at all :)

Thanks. :)

I don't blame you for repeating it. That was probably a wise decision on your part.

Yeah I'm grateful that there's nothing to keep you from repeating other than yourself. Not like say if you were paying for a personal trainer, gym, or something along those lines. Then you'd have to pay more money the longer it took. I spent like $2 on the app for my phone and that's it. I may repeat W2 if I don't feel ready to go to W3 after I do W2 next week.
  • amberpic
    amberpic Posts: 20
    Options
    Repeat of W1D2 done! Glad that I'm repeating weeks...my knees hurt, but the run was still good. Six-year-old was cleared by doctor to run with me (no mechanical problems, she just has a bruised femur from falling at some time). Good to have her back...I missed her!
  • amberpic
    amberpic Posts: 20
    Options
    For the rain runners, don't you ruin your shoes? That's the only thing that keeps me indoors during rain showers. I've gotten caught in downpours at the theme parks a few times and have ended up with ruined shoes. Not cheapies, either, but Skechers Shape-Ups. They ended up musty and nasty after the soaking, so I don't want my running shoes to suffer the same fate. Also, the wet socks blistered me when I did a lot more walking after getting wet. I did run in a steady drizzle once, and it felt sooooo good, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my new shoes.

There are actual articles on Runners World about this. Take out the sock liners and rinse them. Put them up to dry. Blot out the inside of your shoes and prop them up to dry too.

About the socks - cotton sock are yucky and you'll probably feel the need for running socks soon as your distances start increasing. Invest in a pair or two of running socks - you can run through puddles without that squishy feeling.

I've never had a problem with the ear buds, but then again, they've been washed a couple of times too. If you're wearing a hoodie, just tuck the cord under. Or do what I do at night and just run without earbuds and turn your music down pretty low. Nobody else is crazy enough to be out there hearing you anyway.

You can also loosen the laces, take out the insoles and stuff the shoes with newspaper which will absorb the excess water. Just remove it promptly.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Today was day 1 of the 5k210k app. I had a great start, 4.16 miles including warm up/cool down.I made so much progress with the first program, I can't wait to see what the next 6 weeks hold.