Bump to reference later
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump for reference later. Thanks.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great post, just what I've been looking for! I'm a complete beginner wanting to start SS or SL but wanting to have a go and get used to lifting at home with dumbells before committing to a gym membership (and making sure I can at least lift the empty bar...)

My question is, what weight range should I be looking at buying to take me from complete beginner (with pretty poor upper body strength) to the point where I'd need barbells to progress further?
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Great advice as usual! :) I started out with dumbbells only and graduated to a curl bar when my grip strength wasn't strong enough to go up for squats and deads. Now I use the curl bar for everything except bent over rows and my son is my squat rack. Pretty soon I'll have to graduate to a real squat rack and oly bar...
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - I have been managing with a small bar (only 3.5 feet long) and adjustable weights but I can see how limiting that will be in the future unless I get access to barbells and racks.

The All Pro routine - it seems philosophically different from the NROL4W - since it suggest one weight for one cycle with rising reps, and the workouts each week drop in intensity. NROL drops the reps in the same cycle but increases the weight.

For newbies, which one would you prefer? [maybe i should put that in a new thread?]
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    This is a good point. Also, a lot of people do not have very heavy DBs if working at home. I like the AllPro routine for these better as it is in more of a mid rep range.

I'm having that balance issue with just 25s doing Bulgarian split squats and single leg Romanian DLs. What's the AllPro routine?

It's laid out here. Still has the 'big lifts' but additional lifts and a slightly higher rep range.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

Thank you!

yeah thanks! this is great info :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Great post, just what I've been looking for! I'm a complete beginner wanting to start SS or SL but wanting to have a go and get used to lifting at home with dumbells before committing to a gym membership (and making sure I can at least lift the empty bar...)

My question is, what weight range should I be looking at buying to take me from complete beginner (with pretty poor upper body strength) to the point where I'd need barbells to progress further?

That is a hard answer to be specific with as it varies individual to individual. However, the main issue you will find is when doing lower body work as our legs/glutes are much stronger than out upper half, so you will max out on those before the upper body stuff. It is not quite so bad for squats as there are ways to make them harder (to a degree) without having to have more weight (pistol squats are really hard to do). The other main issue is that it is hard to up the weights on upper body in the usual 5lb increments that DBs come in. Wrist weights are a good way to add a bit of load to them if you cannot get ones that go up in increments smaller than 2 1/2lb.

Even though they are a PITA, I would get DBs that you add the plates to rather than the fixed weight DBs as it will be more economical and flexible.

A point to note however, is that you will not be able to do as much re weigh with dumbbells as you will with a barbell as you engage more stabilizers with DBs. For example, I can do about 1/3 more pressing a barbell than DBs (adding the 2 DB weights together to compare).

A good range of weights would be ones that go up to at least 20lb - that way you can be sure that you can lift the bar. More weight is better as you can use them when you cannot get to the gym.

Another point to remember is that some gyms have bars that weigh less than an Olympic bar so you can start lighter than 45lb if they have them,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for this - I have been managing with a small bar (only 3.5 feet long) and adjustable weights but I can see how limiting that will be in the future unless I get access to barbells and racks.

The All Pro routine - it seems philosophically different from the NROL4W - since it suggest one weight for one cycle with rising reps, and the workouts each week drop in intensity. NROL drops the reps in the same cycle but increases the weight.

For newbies, which one would you prefer? [maybe i should put that in a new thread?]

AllPro is simpler and focusses more on progression of the same lifts.

I have not done NORWFL (or AllPro for that matter, even though the lifts are more similar to what I do). but would recommend AllPro. That being said, the really good thing about NORWFL is the explanations and discussion. With AllPro, as its not a book, you do not have as much support. However, the lifts are very standard and you can get good details about them by checking out Stronglifts and Starting Strength as well as watching form/technique video's.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I have not done NORWFL (or AllPro for that matter, even though the lifts are more similar to what I do). but would recommend AllPro. That being said, the really good thing about NORWFL is the explanations and discussion. With AllPro, as its not a book, you do not have as much support. However, the lifts are very standard and you can get good details about them by checking out Stronglifts and Starting Strength as well as watching form/technique video's.

My head started spinning when I read New Rules of Lifting for Women (I assume that's what we are talking about)--they have so many exercises... It's a good program if you get bored with exercises easily and want variety in your routine. I do not get bored easily--I'm perfectly happy with maybe 10 lifts in my repertoire total, and I'd rather be good at a few of them than have a lot of variety. So I prefer Starting Strength. Though some people complain that SS is very technical and the anatomy and mechanics discussions go over their heads. NROL4W is certainly not too technical.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks Sara

There is some merit to what Bumblebum says, about New Rules having a lot of variety. The book is not too descriptive of the form, though - I had to research quite a few afresh on the net to figure out small elements that go to improving form.

Btw - my gym has dumbbells in 1kg (2.2lb) increments - it's a British brand I think, and that could be why.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats are awesome!

Agreed. Used them the other day because my crappy soon-to-be-former gym only has two squat racks and they were full when I arrive and full every time I finished my other exercises. Used a kettlebell but might try a dumbbell next time as the kettlebell (24kg) was a bit light for a 5x5 routine. Just kept the sets the same and double the reps and got a hell of a workout.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

My head started spinning when I read New Rules of Lifting for Women (I assume that's what we are talking about)--they have so many exercises... It's a good program if you get bored with exercises easily and want variety in your routine. I do not get bored easily--I'm perfectly happy with maybe 10 lifts in my repertoire total, and I'd rather be good at a few of them than have a lot of variety. So I prefer Starting Strength. Though some people complain that SS is very technical and the anatomy and mechanics discussions go over their heads. NROL4W is certainly not too technical.

I find that my program (4-5 exercises per session) much easier to stick too without notes and short enough that I can easily mentally recreate it at home to log it. And if I every get to the point where it's easy adding ancillary stuff will be simple.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options

That is a hard answer to be specific with as it varies individual to individual. However, the main issue you will find is when doing lower body work as our legs/glutes are much stronger than out upper half, so you will max out on those before the upper body stuff. It is not quite so bad for squats as there are ways to make them harder (to a degree) without having to have more weight (pistol squats are really hard to do). The other main issue is that it is hard to up the weights on upper body in the usual 5lb increments that DBs come in. Wrist weights are a good way to add a bit of load to them if you cannot get ones that go up in increments smaller than 2 1/2lb.

Even though they are a PITA, I would get DBs that you add the plates to rather than the fixed weight DBs as it will be more economical and flexible.

A point to note however, is that you will not be able to do as much re weigh with dumbbells as you will with a barbell as you engage more stabilizers with DBs. For example, I can do about 1/3 more pressing a barbell than DBs (adding the 2 DB weights together to compare).

A good range of weights would be ones that go up to at least 20lb - that way you can be sure that you can lift the bar. More weight is better as you can use them when you cannot get to the gym.

Another point to remember is that some gyms have bars that weigh less than an Olympic bar so you can start lighter than 45lb if they have them,

Thanks a lot Sara, that's really helpful :smile:
  • paprad
    Options
    I just read through some 12 pages of that thread of AllPro - learnt about how it has built in deloading and how the program works to improve progress - am so impressed I am going to ditch NROL and start this now. Thanks Sara, I'm realy looking forward to giving this a go.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've been doing too many squats - 80 every other day - need to get informed! Thanks Sara!
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I have a question! Do to a bad wrist break a few years back, and being small framed.. my left wrist is weaker than my right. When I try to do chest presses or curls it's hard for me to get my weight up on that side without my arm locking up and causing slight pain in the joint area.

Any suggestions on how to work around this issue?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    BUMP!

I have a question! Do to a bad wrist break a few years back, and being small framed.. my left wrist is weaker than my right. When I try to do chest presses or curls it's hard for me to get my weight up on that side without my arm locking up and causing slight pain in the joint area.

Any suggestions on how to work around this issue?
    Thanks in advance!

Do you have access to a gym or do you lift at home?
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I lift at home. I have some gym equipment, including barbells. When I do chest presses with a barbell, I'm always off balance and have to really push my left arm up. It still locks on me though. :ohwell:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I lift at home. I have some gym equipment, including barbells. When I do chest presses with a barbell, I'm always off balance and have to really push my left arm up. It still locks on me though. :ohwell:

Most DB exercises for the chest are going to have pressure on the wrist. Have you tried wearing a wrist brace/wrap?

For curls, do hammer curls cause a problem?