Replies

• beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Today is session 13 for me.

Squats: 110 lbs
    Bench press: 85 lbs
    Barbell row: 95 lbs

Will be doing this tonight so will update my progress later. So glad to be a part of this group!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells & SS A 3x5 for me today.

Kettlebells and deadlifts on the same workout are making my lower back/hips question my sanity. But hey, it's done, and I'm inching my way back up in weights. So far, so good ... week 3 of the new program and still with it. Going to finish out the month and reassess.

I'm so impressed by y'all's numbers. Still feeling pretty piddly about mine, but I'm at capacity, so it's all that can be reasonably expected.

DL 1x5 @ 115
    Squat 3x5 @ 62.5
    OHP 3x5 @ 50
  • grandmoo
    grandmoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much the metal springy clips that secure the plates onto the bar weigh? Have we been short-changing ourselves by 1/2 lb? :laugh:

Squats - 100 lbs 5 x 5 (I'm going to stick with 100 'til Friday, then up to 105 I hope)
    OHP - 46 lbs 5 x 5 (hey, that's up 1/2 lb since the last time-lol) - I was happy with them.
    DL - 135 lbs 1 x 5 - think I'm going to be here a while. Having trouble with my grip and my right wrist is buggered up from something I did (can't remember what it was, just vaguely remember banging it against something and think I might have bruised the bone or something like that) and the "one hand over, one hand under" grip is touchy. I did do that on my last rep and it seemed to help the lift and not hurt the wrist, so I'll have to remember to do it next time...
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Kira - You are my hero. I know I'm late on the story, but that is so awesome. You will have a strong daughter who is confident in her own skin. And Friday's plan is a bit crazy. :wink: ETA: I'm going to be down your way in August. We have an outer banks trip planned.

Dani - Way to keep at it!! That kb and SS mix sounds like one heck of a workout!

Grandmoo - You are only short changing the weight if you use them :smile: I don't often clip the weights in so I can't count them. Funny thing is that I do notice them if I do use them.

Coquette - Sorry to hear about the plate math being the opposite of what you were expecting.

I did a traditional A day:

Squat 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115, 125, 135
    Bench 1x5 @ 95, 105 then 3x5 @ 115
    Row 5x5 @ 95

I went later than usual and the gym started to get packed by the time I was working on the bench. I was the only woman in the weight room around 15 or so guys. Felt good when I realized I wasn't the person lifting the lightest and I was the only one doing squats.

Tomorrow is a rest day on my reduced schedule. So....I'm taking the time and getting a massage. I was recommended to try a myofascial release massage to help with flexibility and the hip flexor tightness. If it helps, I will probably look into doing it once a month to help keep things in check.
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a week off of lifting to prepare for a 10k (the hottest, hilliest, hardest I've ever done - did NOT get the PB I wanted. But I can deal with 55.40 considering the conditions).

Anyway, after lifting with an experienced power lifter friend of mine and getting some critique on form before my week off, I decided to deload my squats significantly and get a lot lower. They felt really good yesterday so I'm happy about it. I can always build back up. I also went back a step on my other lifts to again focus on form. SO, my lifts yesterday were:

Squat, 5x5 - 60kg
    OHP, 5x5 - 27.5kg
    Deadlift, 1x5 - 77.5kg

Then I went on a 'gentle' 3.5 mile run to losen off the muscles from Sunday's race.

Then i went home and ate some delicious homemade burgers and guacamole. BAM.
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I thought I had broken 60lbs on my OHP. I had (what I thought was) 55lbs, and was flying through 5 reps, and even 6 felt easy for the first two sets. So I bumped it up to what I thought was 60lbs. Turns out I just can't do math at 6 in the morning. My easy 55 was 50, and my 60 was 55, which was just as hard as ever. Damn you math! Damn you OHP!

Squats - 100lbs x 5
    OHP - 50x2x6, 55x3x5
    Deadlifts - 120lbs x 5

It's so easy to do these sort of things! I I know your frustration. I feel extra shame when it happens as I'm a mathematician by trade.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    here's to MILFs and rocking mummies! :)
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well, this morning I did my first SL session since June 27th, and I had info that I might not be able to increase my lift with the couple of weeks break. I decided to just aim to repeat my last session, and that is exactly what I achieved! It was an A session - squat 5x5 of 27.5kg, bench 5x5 of 22.5kg and row 5x5 of 27.5kg. I am still trying to get on top of those pendlay rows. Maybe when I get the 5kg weights on either side, stacked on top of the legs for the aerobics step thing it'll be a better height? Or maybe I just don't quite have the form right?

Funny story - I lift at a small gym close to my work. I shower afterwards, get dressed and head off to work. Except today. Today I showered, got dressed, and discovered I'd forgotten an essential piece of clothing. The dress I wore was particularly plunging - I wouldn't wear it without something under it on the weekend, much less when teaching! So, I did my coat up over the top, jumped in the car and took the 40min trip home and back to add a touch of modesty to my outfit. And I still managed to get to the classroom before the students trundled in for their first day after the holidays!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Funny story - I lift at a small gym close to my work. I shower afterwards, get dressed and head off to work. Except today. Today I showered, got dressed, and discovered I'd forgotten an essential piece of clothing. The dress I wore was particularly plunging - I wouldn't wear it without something under it on the weekend, much less when teaching! So, I did my coat up over the top, jumped in the car and took the 40min trip home and back to add a touch of modesty to my outfit. And I still managed to get to the classroom before the students trundled in for their first day after the holidays!

:laugh: :laugh: You don't want to be known as that teacher!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Everyone is doing awesome - I feel like you should all stand in a big row so I can run past and HIGH FIVE y'all!

Jw - I did that a few weeks ago with my bench presses
    Kira - looking forward to hearing about your progress
    Moo - add everything! I say if you move it - count it
    Jstout - That must have felt fab - strong lady power!

Week 7
    Squat 5x5 @ 55kg (121lbs)
    OHP 25kg (55lbs) 3, 4,3,3,2 - this is driving me insane!!! was going to deload to 22.5kg and then I thought NUT UP - so I kept good form, just couldn't hit all my reps... I will hit this... I will do 5 sets of 5. aaaagghhhhhhh this will not defeat me!
    Deadlift NSV 1x5 @ 60kg (132lbs)

Then 1 min plank, 45sec plank, 1 min plank, 20 full sit ups, 20 frog kicks, 5x5 body weight rows, 7 chin ups - then!!! 3 no feet touching the group chin ups - I moved my entire body up!! H*ll yeah! normally I stand and chin up to above the door - I have never ever managed these from hanging - I am getting strong oh yeah :-)
    61 air squats - started before hitting the coffee "on" button - doh...

Happy, happy happy lifting ladies
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Well, this morning I did my first SL session since June 27th, and I had info that I might not be able to increase my lift with the couple of weeks break. I decided to just aim to repeat my last session, and that is exactly what I achieved! It was an A session - squat 5x5 of 27.5kg, bench 5x5 of 22.5kg and row 5x5 of 27.5kg. I am still trying to get on top of those pendlay rows. Maybe when I get the 5kg weights on either side, stacked on top of the legs for the aerobics step thing it'll be a better height? Or maybe I just don't quite have the form right?

That is a nice way to get back from holiday! Maintaining numbers is great! That is one of my fears when I go to the gym in the morning and plan on showering and changing. I end up checking my bag over and over just to make sure I didn't forget any essentials.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    hey zanyzana - sorry I must have posted at the same time as you!

Well done on your first session back. - You definitely don't want to be know as that teacher! he he he :-)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ha zana I did it the other way round - went to the gym straight from work, in the winter - knee length skirt, long boots, shirt you get the picture. Changed in the changing room. something missing. TRAINERS! Phoned the huz who was getting the kids, he went home, picked up the shoes, and met me at the end of the road - there is a path under the railway bridge to avoid a long drive to that gym - so I had to walk down the path in my gym kit, coat and long boots to meet him! looked like a hooker..
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Workout A last night.

Squats 5x5 - kept at 95 lbs. Form is much better since the de-load. Still surprisingly difficult!
    Bench - 5/5/5/5/4 70 lbs. Not progressing - but I haven't been getting out enough, so not surprising. Had to roll out from under my last rep. Boy, that certainly gets you some attention!
    Row - had to use T-bar row because the gym was packed and all of the barbells were in use. Added 55 lbs in plates - no idea what the 'machine' weighs - I think around 15 lbs....

Also did some planks and bridges. I think I need to find some accessory exercises to further strengthen my glutes and hams. That really is my weak link - all those years of running have taken their toll!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    jogirl - Have you look up glute bridges/hip thrusts? Those'll strengthen those glutes and hammies right up!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    zanyzana - great job starting up again!
    lwood - gym shorts and and boots -mmmmhmmmm!
    jogirl- kira is right - glute bridges and hip thrusts are awesome. Make sure you have a pad on the bar, though :)

This morning was Deadlift day of week 2 of 5/3/1. Lots of deadlifts. And then the superset with "light" deadlifts alternated with hanging leg raises. The leg raises weren't quite so horrible as they were last week, but I'm still not doing as many as I'm supposed to. It's supposed to be 5x15. I'm doing sets of 10, usually with a few second break after 6 or 7 of them.

It is freaking hot here, so I will have to see how much energy I have to venture outside later. Probably no trail run today. Maybe a walk in a shady area.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    @cleo: it's hot here too. Luckily, there's a breeze, but it feels like it's coming from an oven.

Workout A.
    Squats: 160lbs 3x5-- had a gym dude ask to work in. First time that's happened, and it threw off my rests a little.
    Bench: 95lbs 3x5-- this may or may not be a PR. I'll have to go back and check.
    Row: 95lbs 3x8 (8-7-6). I decided that add more reps instead of bouncing the weight between 95 and 100. Hopefully this works.
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @Kirabob and @cleotherio

Thanks for the tip! I have started doing glute bridges (hip thrusts?) in my past few sessions (un-weighted for now) - I can certainly see how they will help. I found a few other exercises on-line today that I am going to add in as well.

Hoping that not only will my squats improve but I will also end up with a magnificent bum!!
  • zanyzana
    Options
    ha zana I did it the other way round - went to the gym straight from work, in the winter - knee length skirt, long boots, shirt you get the picture. Changed in the changing room. something missing. TRAINERS! Phoned the huz who was getting the kids, he went home, picked up the shoes, and met me at the end of the road - there is a path under the railway bridge to avoid a long drive to that gym - so I had to walk down the path in my gym kit, coat and long boots to meet him! looked like a hooker..

Thanks - gave me a great visual and a pre-work chuckle! Under a bridge and all,did anyone slow down and look lasciviously out the window at you? :blushing:
  • zanyzana
    Options
    And today... I am so friggin' sore! Every muscle aches. Ouch!!