MFP Grand Tour Cycling Challenge - Discussion/Signup Thread

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I got it all sorted. Hope the way it's set-up for the daily doubles works ok. If I'm off let me know.

Spot on now - to be honest, I could pretty much see what had happened, but i'd not had much sleep and couldn't trust myself to just edit it back and sort it - so I posted it into the mileage thread "on trust" and left you to pick up the pieces...

Cheers for sorting things

:wink:
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Phhhh, finally got to ride yesterday in between the rain. Not far and not fast, but it was sooo nice to be out. I'll do better Team 2, sorry I've been such a wheel suck this challenge. :)
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Just a word of warning to team 2:

Down to my final week before RAGBRAI so don't expect anything over about 20 miles per day as I am winding down the training. My legs are pretty well spent between riding and boot camp every day for the past 5 weeks.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Just a word of warning to team 2:

Down to my final week before RAGBRAI so don't expect anything over about 20 miles per day as I am winding down the training. My legs are pretty well spent between riding and boot camp every day for the past 5 weeks.

No problem. Have a great time riding across Iowa again.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Phhhh, finally got to ride yesterday in between the rain. Not far and not fast, but it was sooo nice to be out. I'll do better Team 2, sorry I've been such a wheel suck this challenge. :)

Weather happens. Work happens. It is what it is. At least you got out there finally.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Tomorrow, I get to ride in the Tour De Donut again. http://www.bebikeclub.com/tourdedonut/

My son and I will ride about 7 miles up to the start of the race. Then, we'll ride the 34 mile race. Then, we'll have lunch. And then, we'll ride back to the car.

Last year, I started dead last with Charlie, and we finished 935th out of 1441 racers that actually finished. There were over 1600 people that started the race.

I anticipate that we'll finish about the same this year. Charlie and I ride heavy touring bikes and we kind of plod along, but we are looking forward to it anyway.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Well, the final week of the TdF is upon us...

Time to pull some big rides perhaps?

It appears that the jerseys aren't 'cut and dried' yet, there could still be some challenges from afar...

Is it me or has this tour flown past?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    It has mate - absolutely flown by...

I'm going to be struggling to keep going through to the end though... it's definitely knocked a bit out of me this time - I'm thinking I may actually take a few days completely off the bike when it finishes - this last run-in to Sunday is going to be a killer too!

Wonder if 'Berties got any steaks to spare... :lol:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Last day folks... well done to the two who've already declared as finished, and to everyone else - have a good final days riding... I'll keep the entries thread open for a day or so, just for those who may be in the "backcountry" and sans internet, but if you COULD try and submit your final rides (or the DNS notice if applicable) asap it'd make the whole process that much easier.

Cheers - or should that be Santé!

Right - i'd better get out there - I sort of promised myself i'd get 1,000km+ in over the duration, and i've been a bit lazy, so there's still a good chunk to ride!
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I really feel as though I've let team 2 down this challenge. My month has been horrible. After waiting for 2 weeks my warranty parts have arrived and my bike is finally getting fixed. I've also had two family medical emergencies that have kept me from riding. On the MFP side of things I've let my nutrition slack as well. Don't know if it's the stress or just a bit out of sorts at my routine being interrupted.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi TBY - Just want to let you know I have completed my entries for the Challenge!
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    DNS for the last day for me unfortunately. I was just getting ready to do a 4hour ride at 3.00pm when my best buddy rang asking if I wanted to go to the pub. An offer I couldn't refuse. :drinker:

Once again, I've really enjoyed the challenge... thanks to TBY for organising. :bigsmile:
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    It's been a fun challenge, next time I will find more time to get out for longer :)
    Thanks to TBY for his great organisational and logging skills :drinker:
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Another thanks to TBY from me as well.

Really enjoyed this and I definitely went out more with the thought I needed to support "my team"
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well - once again, it's been an excellent challenge - and really gratifying to see it motivating people to get out there and ride.

And just to be clear - to anyone feeling like they've "let down" their team-mates by not riding as far as they thought they were going to... if you made one ride, you contributed, if you went out on the bike once "because i've signed up to the challenge" then the challenge has been a success...

I know that not all the declarations are in, but there are a few interesting stats already emerging...

Team #1 completed the overall distance with over 63% extra...
    Team #2 completed the overall distance with over 51% extra...
    and Team #3 (with only 5 riders after the first couple of days) have managed 84% of the distance (with another 9 rides still undeclared) - grossing up their distance to a 9 person team would have meant they rode over 40% extra...

In total, between the lot of us we've ridden over 13,300km - 2.8 times the distance of this years RAAM...

We've climbed at least 63 vertical miles - thats over 11.6 times the height of Everest!

Frankly, we've all done pretty damned well...
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Now I know why I am so sore :laugh: :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for organising this TBY, you are right, it definitely motivated me to try getting out on the bike sooner than I may have otherwise done - so that's definitely a positive.

Roll on La Vuelta - not got too much to beat and I should be fighting fit and have a new road bike by then :-)

Cheers Capitan :-D
  • cyclenut64
    cyclenut64 Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks TBY for another well-organized challenge. I wish I could have had a better end to the race but too many commitments to get out on the bike during the last week. Just to let you know I really enjoy your challenges, it does motivate me to ride more.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well - once again, it's been an excellent challenge - and really gratifying to see it motivating people to get out there and ride.
    In total, between the lot of us we've ridden over 13,300km - 2.8 times the distance of this years RAAM...

We've climbed at least 63 vertical miles - thats over 11.6 times the height of Everest!

Frankly, we've all done pretty damned well...

Amen! TBY is the MAN for getting this together...massive kudos to you!:drinker:
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Thanks for all the hard work again, Mr. Yin, and congrats too all for getting rides in. I'm surprised I logged as many kilos as I did considering my work schedule was simply awful.

See you all at the next challenge.
This discussion has been closed.