OHP = 55
    DL = 120

Hope you all have a great day!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Can I check in with a question?

I started Stronglifts 3 weeks ago, and after some form issues, I'm feeling great. I started with the empty bar for squats and now I'm up to 60lbs. Yay!! hahah
    My question - I took my measurements (well, took a peek) and my thigh is up an inch. Is this normal for lifting? I've been focusing so long on losing weight and inches (and I've just broke the hold the scale had on me), now my inch lost turned into a gain. Trying not to panic lol

BUT I'm down .75 inches around my belly button (waist)
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Session 18 tomorrow

Current 5x5 (full sets)-
    Squats: 105 (failed at 100...had to deload for a week)
    Deadlift: 160
    OHP: 65
    BP: 85
    BR:100 (failed at 105)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started Stronglifts 3 weeks ago, and after some form issues, I'm feeling great. I started with the empty bar for squats and now I'm up to 60lbs. Yay!! hahah
    My question - I took my measurements (well, took a peek) and my thigh is up an inch. Is this normal for lifting? I've been focusing so long on losing weight and inches (and I've just broke the hold the scale had on me), now my inch lost turned into a gain. Trying not to panic lol

Don't stress. You are probably building some lovely muscle. As you continue lifting, you may find that you go in cycles where you get a little bigger, than much smaller, then a little bigger, etc. etc. Just keep eating and lifting and resting and it will all be fine!
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    Hi!

Don't stress. You are probably building some lovely muscle. As you continue lifting, you may find that you go in cycles where you get a little bigger, than much smaller, then a little bigger, etc. etc. Just keep eating and lifting and resting and it will all be fine!

Thank you so much for this. I sure hope that's the case!!
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So impressed by all the OHP numbers on here - I've been stuck around 15kg forever!
  • kr1stadee
    Options
    I guess I should check in with my numbers!! haha

Session #7 yesterday

Squats - 65lbs
    BP - 65lbs
    BR - 70lbs

Woo!
    (I was wrong in my last post, I had to check the app :laugh: )
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    So impressed by all the OHP numbers on here - I've been stuck around 15kg forever!

I know! I am stuck too. In fact, I am probably going to develop some sort of complex about them because I hit my chin with the bar today. Usually, I am really good about my form but I was all sorts out of wack today. :(
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    This morning - my "light" day of Texas, for squats anyway.

Squats -2x5@ 125 (so nice to only have to do two sets!)
    OHP - 3x5@85
    Then chinups, back extensions and then two sets of good mornings with just the bar.

Yesterday evening I went for a super-brisk 5-mile walk. Well, it was more like brisk walking and then breaking out into a jog for about a quarter of it here and there. I just had a ton of energy for some reason. This afternoon I went on the same trails but much much slower. I couldn't have gone faster if I'd tried; the legs just weren't moving. Yesterday - 5 miles in 60 minutes. Today - 4 miles in 80 minutes. Tomorrow - rest day; maybe yoga.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am loving this way more than I ever thought I would!

Squats: 60lbs (last workout was 55lbs)
    Bench: 60lbs (same as last time, but much more solid this time)
    Row: 75 lbs (last time was 60, but time before that was 65, 'cause I'm an idiot. Either way, those were easy so I really jumped in this. They felt FANTASTIC!)
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Geez, was I off with my lifts this morning! The squats... Ugghhh. :noway: I wonder if my dodgy knees are not coping with doing these twice a week (I have adapted the program to suit myself!). I had trouble with body weight squats, then the bar, tried a box squat and just sat down!, tried my 25kilo squat and wobbled all over the place and my knees hurt. Deloaded back to the bar and that hurt the knees. So I just got the sh1ts and went over to bench! I tried my best but it didn't come together! :sad:

Bench was ok. My weight was 27.5 (I think), which is my highest ever. I got through 5x5, but repeated the 4th set as I knocked the rack on my way up on the first rep and it put me off :huh: - I had to do the roll of shame on the 4th rep! Luckily, I was all alone (and I don't put the barrier things on the bar) so I was not embarrassed and I wasn't squashed! I was so sh1tty about the squats that I regrouped and finished in style!

Rows - heavy man! 32.5, I managed 5x5 but it was hard going. I'll see how I go next week - may need to repeat this one? Or maybe I was just having a crappy day?

Oh well, now I'm at work and have eaten my porridge and will get on with the things I have to do!

Enjoy your days and your lifting! :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I actually did the bench today and I didn't feel that feeling I felt when I did it before! Yay! :bigsmile: Thanks to my hubby spotting me and encouraging me.
    I did the empty bar and then added 5 lbs for the last 3 sets.
    I also did 75 lbs for shrugs and squats, 95 lbs for deadlifts, 85 lbs for Bent Over Rows, and 70 lbs for machine crunches.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    B day for me. I took Monday off due to a stupid cold.

Squat 80#
    OHP 50#2x5 45#3x5
    DL 95# 1x5 105# 1x5

I'm getting super frustrated with my ohp. My elbow hurt today when I had the weight down so I'm just gonna keep at it and maybe add a few sets of ohp on my a days until I can actually progress consistently (or at least once) with it. Super job ladies! You all are awesome!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Last day of stronglifts for week - week 10 done - now to deload for a week - scary biscuits all round...(it is sad that i get super excited the night before i lift because I really look forward to it!)

Having a good look at madcows as I think this might work for me in finally getting my OHP & Bench press nos moving, texas looks good but having problems getting the ebook with a UK credit card...so not 100% of how this program works or would work for me.

Had a bit of a aggggghhhhh workout at home equipment failure - bar is full, new weight plates not arrived, and apparently trying to tie an extra 5kg onto a bar with plastic doesn't really work... aherm!

so
    Squat 5x5@75kg (165.5lbs)
    OHP 3x5@25kg (55.1lbs) 2x4@25 (55.1lbs) - these drive me mad - why do my shoulders not square themselves up and work!!! grrrrr
    Deadlift 1/2 an attempt at 85kg - 187.3lbs (extra weight tied on with plastic... dodgy and NOT recommended!!)
    1x5@ 80kg (176.3lbs)

So off to deload for a week and to do lots of weight lifting program reading!

Happy lifting ladies x
  • grandevampire
    Options
    Hi!

I agree that it's going towards building new muscle, but the larger variations of size are usually due to swelling/water retention during muscle reparation, I think? There are days when I have huge pump, but most of it does eventually flush away (especially if I allow some recovery time without lifting). May be possible you measured at such a time?
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    daisybee, I found with the OHP to get grip and feet at shoulder width, bar high on the chest and elbows forward of the bar, this allows the bar to go up in a straight line (once u move your head out of the way :wink: )
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    OHP 3x5@25kg (55.1lbs) 2x4@25 (55.1lbs) - these drive me mad - why do my shoulders not square themselves up and work!!! grrrrr

The description in Starting Strength of how to do OHP was extremely helpful to me, have you read it? Tightening up my entire body and feeling my power flowing straight up from the floor into the press was helpful. Clenching my glutes (keeps the back from arching) helped. Beginning with elbows in front of the bar. Concentrating on the bar path being straight up and directly over the middle of my feet, and letting my head/body move around the bar to make that happen.

Sorry if any of that is redundant for you. It's a tough lift for sure, but the right form makes it a wee bit less awful.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Hey Girlie & Biker Elaine - I am just pathetic on these - total lack of strength - but when I start again next week I'll have a play around with my stance and elbow positioning - as I know some tweaks on my squat made a world of difference!
    I move my nose out the way at the right moment and elbows lock - but I wanna lift more (whhhahhhhhhhhhhh - lifting lady woe is me)

Thank you x
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes--the clenching your butt and driving your heels into the floor on OHP really do help! In most people's mind's, OHP seems like it's an upper body lift, but if you do the clenching, etc, it really turns into a full-body exercise.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So today I did...

Squats- 92 lbs Still shaky, need to wait until l have someone spot me until I add more.
    Bench- 50 lbs Put 2 little 2.5 weights on today, but it was hard!
    Row- Used 20 lb dumbells
    Also did my OHP with 15 lb dumbells.

Keep up the good work girls!