You Know You're a Runner When...

Options

Replies

• Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    *When you see 13.1 or 26.2 stickers on cars as you drive up you say "hell yeah" then as you drive by you glare at them to see how fast they "look"

*You know the mileage on your shoes better than the mileage on your car.

*You have conversations with hills as you approach them.

Golden. Also, some of these are golden too: "You turn down a night out with friends because you have to do 12 miles in the morning.
    There are more running clothes in your laundry than regular clothes...
    You turn green with envy when you see other runners out running even though you just ran earlier that day yourself...
    You silently applaud other runners you drive past on the street (while resisting the urge to yell encouraging words out the window).
    You see a 13.1 or 26.2 sticker on the car in front of you and instantly feel like you are freeway BFFs.

Mine: You go throughout the day thinking "holy cow, I'm especially hyper today," and then realize you've forgone your regular morning run for an afternoon run instead that day.
    Your roommates just assume that when you're not there when they return to the room, that you're out on a run.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's the only reason you give a damn about the metric system.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's the only reason you give a damn about the metric system.

Bwhahaha! I'm Canadian so everything is the metric system. I could say the opposite, I run in miles. I can now do conversion for any distance in my head.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    3. You've lost a toenail

Yes, I am currently missing one on each foot!

I'm missing 2 on the left and one on the right.

You know you're a runner when you can't wear open toed shoes anymore. So sad!
    I need a pedicure so bad right now but I'm too embarrassed to go because of my missing toe nail. Lol

Atlanta runners have this issue a lot with a combination of a huge running community and an extended sandal season. While I'm currently training for my very first half marathon, my understanding is that the pedicure people can just "paint" on a toenail in a bright color.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    3. You've lost a toenail

I need a pedicure so bad right now but I'm too embarrassed to go because of my missing toe nail. Lol

Atlanta runners have this issue a lot with a combination of a huge running community and an extended sandal season. While I'm currently training for my very first half marathon, my understanding is that the pedicure people can just "paint" on a toenail in a bright color.

I'm guilty of painting on a toenail!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    3. You've lost a toenail

I'm guilty of painting on a toenail!

I painted one on last night! Got sick of looking at my disgusting toe. :laugh:
  • tropic_runner
    tropic_runner Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ENJOY!

1. You know what the word "fartlek" means - and have done it.
    2. You plan a vacation around a favorite destination race.
    3. You know exactly how many miles are in a marathon.
    4. You've had black toenails and were proud of them.
    5. You know the difference between a pronator and supinator.
    6. You have actually "relieved" yourself behind a tree or bush on a long run when there were no bathrooms around.
    7. You spend more on your running shoes than any other pair of shoes you own.
    8. You wish there were more hours in the day so you can run doubles.
    9. When you’re hurt you figure you’ll “run through it” rather than visit a doctor.
    10. Hearing the “Rocky” theme song gives you goose bumps.
    11. You can say “5 miles” and “easy run” in the same sentence.
    12. You think the best gift anyone can give you is sponsorship to your next race.
    13. You get excited when the new Runner’s World comes in the mail.
    14. You own more pairs of running socks than dress socks.
    15. And… Your facebook updates frequently involve running.
  • Pearliture
    Options
    Hahaha...that is awesome!

4. Wear a sportsbra to work because it'll be a faster change after to go running

I do this all the time now! I can't remember the last time I wore a regular bra.

I do the same half of the battle of changing is already over plus your bag is lighter. Lol
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You turn green with envy when you see other runners out running even though you just ran earlier that day yourself... LOL.

^this!

And Agree with needing a "like" button, keep looking for it like on facebook LOL
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You know the difference between speed and pace, and can convert minute/miles to MPH in your head.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...that is awesome!

4. Wear a sportsbra to work because it'll be a faster change after to go running

I do this all the time now! I can't remember the last time I wore a regular bra.

I do the same half of the battle of changing is already over plus your bag is lighter. Lol

The Moving Comfort Juno makes me look like Lynda Carter and doesn't do a bad job doubling as a nursing bra. I'm seriously considering picking up a few for everyday use.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    -You categorize your music as "i can/can't run to that"
    -Most of your playlists are about running... and each one is specific for a certain kind of race or pace
    -It actually hurts when you're not able to do a long run the week before a HM
    -You plan your life around your running training plan
    -You have a specific drawer for running gear, and it's got more items than your other drawers
    :happy:
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    -Most of your playlists are about running... and each one is specific for a certain kind of race or pace

-You have a specific drawer for running gear, and it's got more items than your other drawers
    :happy:

HAhaha... totally relate to these!!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You know you're a runner when your friends and family are sick of hearing you talk about running.

*sigh*

It's all they cared about when running was new....but now that you've stuck with it, they just want you to shut up!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You know you're a runner when your friends and family are sick of hearing you talk about running.

*sigh*

It's all they cared about when running was new....but now that you've stuck with it, they just want you to shut up!

So true :( haha
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I'd love to have that problem! For me, it gets brought up every time I do something with friends. Every. Single. Time.

I'd like to have a bingo card. First spot goes to "must be nice to eat whatever you want Mr. Runner Guy." Another would be "I hear it's bad for your joints," and "I only run when I'm being chased."
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I'd love to have that problem! For me, it gets brought up every time I do something with friends. Every. Single. Time.

I'd like to have a bingo card. First spot goes to "must be nice to eat whatever you want Mr. Runner Guy." Another would be "I hear it's bad for your joints," and "I only run when I'm being chased."

Well you could do an Ironman where the only people you see outside of your immediate family for months are other triathletes so you can talk swimming, biking, or running until your blue in the face in a positive fashion.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Well you could do an Ironman where the only people you see outside of your immediate family for months are other triathletes so you can talk swimming, biking, or running until your blue in the face in a positive fashion.

I'm planning on doing my first HIM next year in Raleigh NC, and I'm looking forward to the actual "do-ers" rather than the "I have this friend of a cousin who did one and he ate a different kind of hot dog, but one every hour and he said to wait 15 minutes to drink water after" stories (that one was actually from a camping trip I went on a couple weeks ago). Anyway, I'm an only child and train solo :)
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You tell the family you are going out for a 10 mile run and they ask if you are tapering already.

Most of these made me chuckle or nod in agreement, but this one made me laugh heartily.

The only new one I have is you have seriously considered putting a CD in your car with the Rocky theme song so you can drive behind another running blasting it out your windows because you really want someone to do that for you someday.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You tell your family you can't go home to visit any weekend in September because you don't want to miss the long training runs with your run club before you taper. Then tell them you won't see them until November because your race schedule won't permit.

Yeah, they'll have to wait until after I run the NYC Marathon.