Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I took a mini break last week. Today I did W2D1: these felt hard. It did not help matters it was hot outside. But I managed. And I found a flatter route nearby. So off to day 2 on Wednesday.
  • Paula5130
    Paula5130 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Starting this cough to 5k, where would you recommend to start outdoor running, completely flat or with hills, at moment it's short intervals on treadmill on incline
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did W7D1 this morning. It was chilly but not too cold. I wore a thin hoodie through half of the run (over a short sleeve shirt) and capris. I was having a hard time starting for some reason. I kept thinking, "are my shins bothering me?" or "is my thigh cramping up?", but when I realized that none of that was happening, I was fine, lol. When the 25 minutes were up, I was surprised at how together I still felt. I am excited to see how the rest of the week goes. :) Still only ran 1.81 miles during the running interval. 13:49/mile.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Did the 25-minute run today without stopping--finally! It's W7D1 on my app and W6D3 on my friends' app. At any rate, it was cool and early and even though I was pretty sore from yesterday morning's boot camp I willed myself not to stop for any reason.

Have a 5K scheduled 2 months from now. The route is near my house, so I walked it Sunday (ran a little bit). It has some tough hills so I really want to be prepared for it come race day. My goal is to take this course once a week and work on my hills while also improving my endurance. I may also try some straight-up hill drills on other days during the week.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Starting this cough to 5k, where would you recommend to start outdoor running, completely flat or with hills, at moment it's short intervals on treadmill on incline

I'm no expert, but I started running around my neighborhood which is pretty flat and occasionally ran at the local National Park which is pretty much all hills. Now I prefer to run at the Park when time allows. The hills aren't THAT much of an issue. Most of the race courses in my area are pretty hilly, so I want to be ready for that when I run a race.

Are you signed up for a race yet? Maybe check out local race courses to see how hilly they are?

The main thing is JUST GET OUT THERE and DO IT!!!

Have fun!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

I'm no expert, but I started running around my neighborhood which is pretty flat and occasionally ran at the local National Park which is pretty much all hills. Now I prefer to run at the Park when time allows. The hills aren't THAT much of an issue. Most of the race courses in my area are pretty hilly, so I want to be ready for that when I run a race.

Are you signed up for a race yet? Maybe check out local race courses to see how hilly they are?

The main thing is JUST GET OUT THERE and DO IT!!!

Have fun!

Great Advice:drinker:
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I forgot to check in last time but W6D1 was surprisingly hellish. I thought it would be easy after W5D3 but it wasn't. I got it done, though.

Today I completed W6D2 and it was better than W6D1 and I felt great afterwards, but during the run, particularly the second interval, I started to question if I was crazy for thinking I can do this (and eventually run half marathons and marathons) and actually become a runner.

Maybe I am.

I don't know why I'm suddenly feeling like that.

I didn't realize it was the last day of intervals until after it was finished. Yesterday I signed up for two 5Ks though in November. I finish C25K the first week of October though so I'm debating about signing up for one more around then so I don't have to wait a full month to do it.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    8vngav.png
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great!

Congrats to everyone just starting, my advice, keep at it and go slow. I think this is my seventh time tarting and I love it now; I'd never got past week 3 before.

Today I finished week 7 day 2. I ended up running for 26.5 minutes, my app shuts down after the warm up in W7. It happened Monday when I ran but I thought it was me. I'm going to see if that's a known bug and if there's an update.

For the person with right sided pain, I read some posts about it, do a search on MFP, it could be something with the timing of your foot strike and breathing. I don't have that problem, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Have a great day everyone!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well I finished W6D2 today, it what a much better run than W6D1, didn't feel like death at the end of either run leg and could have gone a few more minutes without too much trouble I think.
    Roll on W6D3 the 20 min run on my program, feeling good and looking forward to it.

Well done everyone still running!
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just did w4d1 yesterday and it kind of kicked my butt. I think part of it is because I'm running on a treadmill which forces you to keep up the pace. We'll see how I do when I try it again tomorrow.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    8vngav.png

Sorry was running late for work...feeling pretty good...think I have finally settled into a sustainable pace..

excited this was the last run with intervals, looking forward to straight runs now, it is hard to believe how difficult I thought week 1 was looking back now.

congrats to everyone who keeps keeping on with this. I get inspired reading about all the triumphs and it keeps me focused!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I did w7d2 this morning. Wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but I did and I ran 26 minutes instead of 25, just because I felt good and wanted to see if I could do it. I am looking forward to week 8. When I woke up this morning I had a headache and didn't feel well. Once I drank some coffee and started my warmup walk, I felt much better.

Good job, to everyone still making the effort. I think a lot of this is mental at least for me it seems to be.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I did w7d2 this morning. Wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but I did and I ran 26 minutes instead of 25, just because I felt good and wanted to see if I could do it. I am looking forward to week 8. When I woke up this morning I had a headache and didn't feel well. Once I drank some coffee and started my warmup walk, I felt much better.

Good job, to everyone still making the effort. I think a lot of this is mental at least for me it seems to be.

Funny, I ran same day today and ran longer too.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Going for the 30 min run today !!
    I will do it InshAllah !!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Did W9D1 today!!! I felt really good - 30 minutes straight and not gasping for air too much. :happy:

I was worried, because I did my W8D3 run on Sunday in the late afternoon (I'm usually a 6am runner). It was just too hot with the sun beating down on me (still quite warm here in TX) that I had to walk about 25% of the time.

Without the sun this morning, I was fine. So that's my last 'practice' run until my 5K on Saturday. Can't wait!!!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Did the 30 minute run today.
    was difficult
    my pace is increasing and cant slow down
    one day before 20 minute run was so easy.
    but today was difficult
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for W9D2 tonight ~ WITH cramps AND rain!!!! HOOAHHHH~!!!!!! LOL should be exciting (that may be the 64 oz of coffeee I've had today) but I have not deviated from the schedule and it there will be no deviation tonight~! I finally think I got this down pat, and am excited to run my first 5K next Saturday!!! yay :)

Congrats to everyone who keeps going, it's like AA - "one day at a time" :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

I hate treadmills. I am outside and dealing with the hills in my neighborhood. Looking for the flatter streets, and saving the bigger hills for warmup and cool down walks. :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Did the 30 minute run today.
    was difficult
    my pace is increasing and cant slow down
    one day before 20 minute run was so easy.
    but today was difficult

You should slow down your pace the longer your runs are...