Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Woot woot, I'm finished with c25k.

This was a huge accomplishment for me, to actually finish what I started.

If I can do it, anyone can do it!

Congratulations!!!!!!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Just completed W5/D3 of C25K!!!!!!!!! Doing the distance version (2 miles) rather than distance (20min). OK, so I'm not setting any speed records because it took me and my husband 25min to run the 2 miles, but WE DID IT!!!!!! We then walked 2 laps (at my Y, a lap is 1/11th of a mile) and ran another 1/2 mile in 5min, so a much quicker pace. YAY ME!!!!

W6 I think we're going to run 2miles for the first two runs, then move to 2.25 miles for the 3rd run. I don't see the point of doing two days of intervals - can anyone enlighten me why that's better than just continuing with the solid runs?
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Nikkit - It sounds like you'll both do great!

Putcake - Congrats!

Joe - Great job!

Ok everyone I'm asking for advice so please visit my post. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1112847-5k-completed-what-now?page=1#posts-17213035

THANKS!

I've read conflicting reviews of bridge to 10k, people have a difficult time with intervals again. I plan on giving it a shot, I need the structure built in.

it's kicking my A**. I have no love for the bridge to 10K, I am on wk 2 have not fully completed 1 training day each week, which I never EVER did with C25K - but one day was running in super hot and humidity at lunch and the other was with a pulled hip flexor 2 days before my first 5K, so I don't feel SO bad I feel like I am cheating!!! I was reading about this Level-Up from runtheedge.com, I think I am going to buy one of these training plans, they look like SO MUCH FUN! Let me know what you decide.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I finished W8D2 (not 3).

Hate to run back to back days, but since I missed out on Tuesday, I had to do that run yesterday.

So today I did W8D3. Ran extra for a total of 32 minutes - total 2.25 miles.

I have 6 more runs before my 5K. Goal is to increase each run by 2 minutes, so by the time I get to the 5K, I'll have 44 min of running under my belt. Or 5K. Whichever comes first! :)
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm a angry at myself today. I let the monster inside win. :(
    Dragged my butt outside with alot of effort. Then decided after 5 mins of running I had enough. I walked the rest of the trip. I'm very disappointed that I talked myself out of the run.
    I guess I'll try W7D3 tomorrow.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a angry at myself today. I let the monster inside win. :(
    Dragged my butt outside with alot of effort. Then decided after 5 mins of running I had enough. I walked the rest of the trip. I'm very disappointed that I talked myself out of the run.
    I guess I'll try W7D3 tomorrow.

It's okay. With an extra rest day, you'll get it done tomorrow. :smile: I struggled w wk 6 bc I had to go back to intervals, and wks7-8 also were a little rough.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    @madmiss--

I was a little concerned about going back to intervals as well, plus it's like doubling right away the time spent on your feet, so I opted to find a plan that increased distance gradually...I used smartcoach...told it I wanted to train for a half marathon and since i only had a mile time...(i lied a bit and increased it, because i wasn't sure that it understood that i was absolute toast after running that mile..i settled on a time of 8:12) it then spit out a 24 week training plan.

Here is the first week that I got:

First week...(1) easy 3 miles..11:21 pace

(2) tempo run...(1) mile warm up, 11:21 pace, (2) miles @ 9:38 pace, (1) mile cooldown @ 11:21 total 4 miles

(3) long run....run 4 miles @ 11:21 pace..

It increments a mile a week for 2-3 weeks with a drawdown week after the buildup

I have found it to be quite manageable.

Here's a screenie of the first month...I have a 5K on Nov 9th..I will redo plan with my first race time

ok270i.jpg
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    W6 I think we're going to run 2miles for the first two runs, then move to 2.25 miles for the 3rd run. I don't see the point of doing two days of intervals - can anyone enlighten me why that's better than just continuing with the solid runs?

because thats what the program says to do. im guessing the guys that came up with it put some thought in to how to go ahead with it.

i rekon its because if you do 3 or 4 solid runs in a row at this stage of the program you might burn out rather than doing a solid run, then intervals for a couple, then back to solid.
  • shootingfor200
    Options
    W1D1 completed tonight with my wife.
    We didn't cover much ground, 1.7 miles including the warm up. We are going slow like recommended. is this about normal?
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This might sound really lame, but I kind of gave up for a few weeks because I was having trouble with W2D1 :(

But, I finally did it! And I kind of felt like dying, but if I did it once, I can do it again, I will probably do it again before I move on. :) I feel like I'm back on track now.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    We didn't cover much ground, 1.7 miles including the warm up. We are going slow like recommended.
    is this about normal?

^^^I would say it is normal. From everything I read on it, it encourages you to go as slow as you can in the beginning and work on speed after you finish the program.

I finished my last day today. I am fighting a cold, so I am glad it is finished. Colds always knock me down for a few days. However I am hoping that since I am a lot healthier and fit, that it won't be too bad. I am going to continue to work on my speed and then maybe after the first of the year I will do the b210k program.

Good Luck everyone!!

Congratulations to those that have finished and great job to those still going at it.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    This morning's long run (my first long run) after graduating he program Monday.

Distance: 4.18 mi
    Duration: 44:23
    Average Speed: 5.66 mi/h
    Average Pace: 10:36 min/m

I am really impressed with all variants of the C25K program. I still remember that first day, out of breath, tired, and wondering how crazy was I that I thought I could do it.

I stuck with it. I had aches and pains, but I stuck with it. I am amazed at how much a little bit of time like 8 weeks can transform from struggling to run for 60 seconds to running for 44 minutes.

I am excited for everyone when I read about their W1D1 accomplishment as well as W9D3...it takes me back to when I started it and gives me the fuel to push farther.

Thank all of you for sharing.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This might sound really lame, but I kind of gave up for a few weeks because I was having trouble with W2D1 :(

But, I finally did it! And I kind of felt like dying, but if I did it once, I can do it again, I will probably do it again before I move on. :) I feel like I'm back on track now.

Not at all lame - back in the early days I struggled with the 60sec runs never mind the 90secs but it really does get easier.

If you completed W2D1, even if it was messy, move onto D2. The early weeks just repeat each day so unless you have an epic fail and can't complete a session at all, I'd just go to the next one, it will almost certainly be easier just because your body is getting used to running.

Keep at it and if you need inspiration, just have a read of the graduation thread where pretty much every one without exception says they can't believe they're now running 30mins straight when 60secs was such a struggle a few weeks before :smile:
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    We didn't cover much ground, 1.7 miles including the warm up. We are going slow like recommended. is this about normal?

I'm about as slow as they get. For awhile I had gotten frustrated that people could walk faster than I could run, but stuck with it anyway. I'm near graduation now (week 8) but running at a 14:ish pace. (4.2 mph avg). It's slow running, but it's running. Once I can complete the full 5K, I will go back and start working on speed.

Run as slow as you need to run. Speed does not matter in this program - the program is built to increase endurance.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying this program. Let me get caught up (it wont take long).

Friday - 09/27 - W1D1 - "Ouch"
    Monday - 09/30 - W1D2 - "Less Ouch"
    Wednesday - 10/02 - W1D3 - "Huh... that was easy"

Friday - 10/04 - W2D1 - "Whoa... that wasn't bad!"
    Monday - 10/07 - W2D2 - "Dude wtf that was so hard"
    **Tuesday - 10/08 - I wonder what would happen if I tried to run for three minutes [Completed W3D1 and was way to excited about it]
    Wednesday - 10/09 - W2D3 "I can't believe how easy that was!"

I'm so excited to start W3 tonight "officially". These little improvements each week, on top of a really bad run this Monday have been really motivating. I'm not feeling "afraid" of the coming weeks any longer.

I can't wait to run tonight.
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm back at it tonight with W6D1 after being sick earlier in the week. The 20 minute run was all mental for me, the last 5 minutes was a breeze!
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    TGIF Everyone!

I did my run last night - we are experiencing a lovely multi-day storm here - it's been raining since Wednesday and is expected to stop by Sunday.

So in between the heavy rain, I managed to get outside and run in the "mist." I set out to do 30 minutes - I had to stop at 21 because I was starting to face a headwind and the rain was starting to come down.

The positive is that I managed to do a 12:15 mile! That's a new PR! I usually run early morning or at lunch, so going at the end of the day (5 pm) was a big change. I thought I would be tired, but my legs felt great. I ran on a flat course and had it not been for the rain and wind, I could have easily gone the 30 minutes.

Maybe I should do all my runs in the rain!
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Finished c25k tonight!!!! I thought there were 3 days to week 9 like every other week has been. I never looked ahead to see what was coming next. When I opened the app it was the last day! So I didn't just run the time. I ran the whole distance. Took me 49 minutes. BUT IT FEELS GREAT TO HAVE ACCOMPLISHED IT!

I did it all IN MY TIME... W1D1 was 6/21/13. Sometimes I needed 2 days recovery, sometimes life got in the way for a few extra days, I took 3 weeks off in the middle per the Dr. to get a stress test and results.... The journey has been wonderful!.

Thanks to everyone on this board for their advice, encouragement, inspiration, and motivation! I couldn't have done it without you ALL! :flowerforyou:
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Finished c25k tonight!!!! I thought there were 3 days to week 9 like every other week has been. I never looked ahead to see what was coming next. When I opened the app it was the last day! So I didn't just run the time. I ran the whole distance. Took me 49 minutes. BUT IT FEELS GREAT TO HAVE ACCOMPLISHED IT!

I did it all IN MY TIME... W1D1 was 6/21/13. Sometimes I needed 2 days recovery, sometimes life got in the way for a few extra days, I took 3 weeks off in the middle per the Dr. to get a stress test and results.... The journey has been wonderful!.

Thanks to everyone on this board for their advice, encouragement, inspiration, and motivation! I couldn't have done it without you ALL! :flowerforyou:

Congratulations on sticking with it!!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying this program. Let me get caught up (it wont take long).

Friday - 09/27 - W1D1 - "Ouch"
    Monday - 09/30 - W1D2 - "Less Ouch"
    Wednesday - 10/02 - W1D3 - "Huh... that was easy"

Friday - 10/04 - W2D1 - "Whoa... that wasn't bad!"
    Monday - 10/07 - W2D2 - "Dude wtf that was so hard"
    **Tuesday - 10/08 - I wonder what would happen if I tried to run for three minutes [Completed W3D1 and was way to excited about it]
    Wednesday - 10/09 - W2D3 "I can't believe how easy that was!"

I'm so excited to start W3 tonight "officially". These little improvements each week, on top of a really bad run this Monday have been really motivating. I'm not feeling "afraid" of the coming weeks any longer.

I can't wait to run tonight.

Towards week 3, that's the way that I was, trying to see if I could run longer and being excited to run the next day. I'm happy for you that you have that same excitement. You're almost at week 5 day 3 where you do the 20-minute run. You'll be so proud of yourself. Good luck. :smile: