Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great!

I have no idea what week I'm on. I finished W5/D3 a couple weeks ago but then started muscle relaxers for an arm nerve issue I've struggled with for months. I have discovered that muscle relaxers don't get along well with running - makes my knees and ankles ache terribly. I've been trying to complete the runs but with the knee and ankle pain have just been managing a mile solid, then walk a little, then run a little, then walk a little, ... So very frustrating to feel like I'm backsliding instead of progressing.

So last night, after struggling with running for 2 weeks with the muscle relaxers, it finally occurred to me to do my running early before taking my first pill of the day - went so much better this morning! No pain, and I knocked out 2 miles shockingly easily. Could have gone further but ran out of time. So now I'm excited for my next run and am confident I'll make it to 3 miles in the next couple of weeks.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You're all do so well!

When I was doing C25K every increase felt like some epic event but you're all just out there ticking off the intervals lol

Oh, it's still definitely an epic event for me at least!

I finished off week 4 today. I ended up adding a few intervals to the end so that I would actually finish 3.1 miles of run/walk. At my snail's pace, I was only hitting about 2 miles with the allotted intervals which is good, but not going to get me through a 5k race in a month. I guess I can call it my "long run" - lol.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Today was cold for my run! I was putting it off and I finally told myself - stop this, go run so you can eat lunch! And it was cold. I really must start bringing my inhaler with me just in case. But I finished Week 4 of Couch to 5K! I am thinking about repeating but I'm not sure. I finished it and week 5 actually looks easier than week 4. I think it's the 3 minutes of walking between the 5 minutes of run. It just sounds easier than this week. I also noticed that my pace is coming down. My pace is now just under 13 minutes; when I started it was at 14. I don't know if that's because I get to run more now or if it's really that my pace has improved. It's hard to figure. And no, I don't feel like I'm speeding along. I felt as slow as could be compared to Sunday's run.
  • galipemi1
    galipemi1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just finished W2D1 - not too bad! I was able to run nearly all the intervals, but the very last one was mis-timed, came just as I hit the hill to climb out of the valley I run through. I still made it about half way up at a "run" before switching to walking.

Question about pace - does it tend to get faster through the program? I ask because two years ago I walked a half marathon with limited but ok training and finished in about 3h30min (that's about a 10min/km or 16min/mi).
    Right now according to Runkeeper I'm averaging an 11:30 ish pace through the entire run, warm up and cool down included. My run intervals are usually at about a 9-9:30 pace and walking is all over the place (from 11:30-15:15). Essentially I'm "running" at about 3.24mi/hr or 5.22km/hr

That means right now I'm managing to run slower than I walked a half marathon!!! To me that seems nuts and makes me a little sad. What are the odds I'll get faster over the next few weeks without actively trying to increase my pace (since I don't want to push too hard too fast and get injured).
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    . I finished it and week 5 actually looks easier than week 4. I think it's the 3 minutes of walking between the 5 minutes of run. It just sounds easier than this week.

i thought this aswell. maybe doing 3x 5min in a row is more difficult than it looks.

actually looking forward to the 20min run at the end of week 5
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    . I finished it and week 5 actually looks easier than week 4. I think it's the 3 minutes of walking between the 5 minutes of run. It just sounds easier than this week.

i thought this aswell. maybe doing 3x 5min in a row is more difficult than it looks.

I'm not looking forward to that even a little bit. Maybe I will be in a week!

There's a running club at my gym meeting tomorrow and I'm debating going. I really don't like to run two days in a row, but I would like to get in with some other likeminded folks. Decisions, decisions...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    my goal is 3km in the 20 mins, which is an average pace of 6:40

considering i averaged 6:14 in my running intervals last night i rekon i can do it.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

I'm not looking forward to that even a little bit. Maybe I will be in a week!

There's a running club at my gym meeting tomorrow and I'm debating going. I really don't like to run two days in a row, but I would like to get in with some other likeminded folks. Decisions, decisions...

Go! Meet new people! Maybe find a running buddy! Just go slow and make sure tomorrow you rest :flowerforyou:
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to say I didn't die.

I finished W5D3 today and I'm so glad that I did. To think that just over a month ago I couldn't run for 60 seconds without being winded. I couldn't finish all of the intervals in W1D1.

This program, if not a great fitness tool, is a fantastic motivational tool. Each week I accomplish something I couldn't imagine the week before which lets me know that I can take on the next week's challenge.

5 weeks from now I'll be running my first 5k ever (barring some other complication). I can't wait.
  • aharburger
    aharburger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Today I completed W5D2! I can't believe I ran for 8 minutes straight, twice! I know you all probably felt the same amount of accomplishment at this point.

Tomorrow I will tackle to 20 minute run and I am nervous about the big jump! If i've learned anything so far it's to slow down. So I will try to run at my current 5.3 mph pace, but if it gets too strenuous I plan to drop it down to 5.0-5.2 mph.

One week until the Zombie 5K! (I started C25K when I registered, knowing full well I wouldn't have time to complete the program before the race. I plan to finish out C25K post race though.)
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    W3S1 done :) feels awesome!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great!

I have no idea what week I'm on. I finished W5/D3 a couple weeks ago but then started muscle relaxers for an arm nerve issue I've struggled with for months. I have discovered that muscle relaxers don't get along well with running - makes my knees and ankles ache terribly. I've been trying to complete the runs but with the knee and ankle pain have just been managing a mile solid, then walk a little, then run a little, then walk a little, ... So very frustrating to feel like I'm backsliding instead of progressing.

So last night, after struggling with running for 2 weeks with the muscle relaxers, it finally occurred to me to do my running early before taking my first pill of the day - went so much better this morning! No pain, and I knocked out 2 miles shockingly easily. Could have gone further but ran out of time. So now I'm excited for my next run and am confident I'll make it to 3 miles in the next couple of weeks.

That's a good idea. It the knee/ankle pain keeps up, you might want to back off the running til you're off the relaxers. I'm worried that your muscles aren't responding strongly enough to stabilize your joints when you run.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Today I completed W5D2! I can't believe I ran for 8 minutes straight, twice! I know you all probably felt the same amount of accomplishment at this point.

You mean huge, over-the-top amounts of "hurrah!"? You better believe it. I still feel that way too :) Good for you!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just finished W2D1 - not too bad! I was able to run nearly all the intervals, but the very last one was mis-timed, came just as I hit the hill to climb out of the valley I run through. I still made it about half way up at a "run" before switching to walking.

Question about pace - does it tend to get faster through the program? I ask because two years ago I walked a half marathon with limited but ok training and finished in about 3h30min (that's about a 10min/km or 16min/mi).
    Right now according to Runkeeper I'm averaging an 11:30 ish pace through the entire run, warm up and cool down included. My run intervals are usually at about a 9-9:30 pace and walking is all over the place (from 11:30-15:15). Essentially I'm "running" at about 3.24mi/hr or 5.22km/hr

That means right now I'm managing to run slower than I walked a half marathon!!! To me that seems nuts and makes me a little sad. What are the odds I'll get faster over the next few weeks without actively trying to increase my pace (since I don't want to push too hard too fast and get injured).

Don't worry about all this. I was doing 20+ minute miles during C25k and just finished a half doing 12:11 minute miles. You're going to slow down a little before the end and then speed back up A LOT in the couple of months after finishing the program without doing much more than getting out there and running.
  • galipemi1
    galipemi1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks vardaemi! I actually just did W2D2 today. I was worried, it's really windy here today and it was raining and I just wasn't feeling it. I actually finished the whole thing before I knew it. And faster than before :) Not by much but enough to be pleasantly surprised. I don't check my pacing until I get home, I just try to do what's comfortable.

Pretty pleased with the C25K program so far.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this group.. just finished week 2 today. It feels great.

Love this program so far. Even in high school I couldn't run an entire mile without stopping.. Can't wait until I can run an entire 5k!
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I made it through week 8! I'm DONE! I'm going to run a practice 5k this weekend outside just to see how it feels. Yay!
  • sinca21
    sinca21 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Week 5, Day 3 is DONE, my friends! I am still so happy about it and it's been over 24 hours.

It was definitely not without challenges. First my kids almost kept me from getting out the door in time, then I guess I picked the wrong pants out of the drawer because as soon as I started running, those pants started dropping. Not wanting to flash my entire neighborhood, I had to get back home quickly and change! I wanted to quit about three times during the run but I just kept talking myself through it, slowed down, and kept going. Hearing the cool down chime was such a great feeling, I may have done a little fist pump. Onward! Week 6 starts on Sunday.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    I made it through week 8! I'm DONE! I'm going to run a practice 5k this weekend outside just to see how it feels. Yay!

Congrats!!! Hope you feel really proud of yourself!
  • candiceh3
    Options
    I have to confess I have cheated a bit...

I felt really good today so I didn't stop at 5 minutes. I warmed up for 5, ran for 10, walked for 3, ran for 10, cooled down for 5.

I was supposed to start W4S1 today. Oops. But it felt sooooo good to be able to run for 10 straight.