New Rules Supercharged

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean with lunges.... I find them quite easy too, but some people really struggle. I guess the books aims for the middle of the road! I increase my step height if I'm finding them too simple. With legs its the single leg squats (with leg elevated behind you on bench) that get me. I forget what the book calls them. They really get my hip flexors.... have to be careful not to overdo it as it takes ages for them to feel right again.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    No, I hope you feel better soon! Get a tennis ball or medicine ball and roll that muscle. I tend to get very tight in my neck, upper back and it helps. Or just make time for a massage:)

Makin, your grip and upper body will catch up. I don't like lunges at all. I typically go with a split squat variation because I feel like the lunges hit my quads too hard without any glute action. YourBTIII sounds like a great workout!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I did my workout today with a bit of modification. Started with a new cardio class (30 mins) which only 2 of us turned up to - it was v high intensity and I'm glad I went. Was like a PT session!

Followed that with 3 sets of squats, kneeling lat pulldown and crossover step ups x 12 each
    Skipped pushups but they were in the cardio class.
    Then did 2 sets shoulder press and side plank row (swapped from push up row) x 12

Being careful not to hurt neck/ shoulder - pretty sure it was the rows so am avoiding for the time being.

Looking forward to leaving basic training to be honest..... don't feel like I'm achieving much
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Tennis ball is a great idea SkinnyCowgirl ( *smile* and you should totally change you name) ! I love getting into the muscles deep. I love foamrolling too!

Jo, are the new cardio classes going to be regular? Do you think that BT is too much cardio for you? I often think, ooh, I cant wait to go to less reps but then I realize that I wont benefit from it very much since I only have so much equiptment at home so Ill probably be doing BT for quite sometime- maybe Ill be able to swing Hypertrophy a little bit.

Cowgirl- when will it catch up? lol Im eagerly waiting. I really focused on the step up lunges today and made sure I really pushed through my heel and used a BB so I couldnt cheat.

I also was able to get in 3x this past week and Im hoping to keep it up. The eating is always an issue for me...I really dont like how hard it is. But it is what it is, I suppose.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I don't think it's the cardio factor, just that I would prefer to lift heavier and can't achieve that with the higher reps in BT. I also tend to injure myself more doing higher reps than I do with heavier weights.... which is a bit odd, LOL.
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've repeated BT I and I'm done with it now. I'm still having problems with my right hip flexor though :grumble:

You have all made me feel much better though by sharing your imbalance issues, I'm clearly not the only one, so thanks for that. I've been engaging my glutes as much as possible and I can feel the benefit.

I'm away for a few days visiting friends, so will have a think about what exercises to put together for BTII, there's got to be some Single leg RDL's in there though somewhere!

Jo - hope your neck is better, I wish I had your passion for cardio as it would really do me some good and improve my endurance, but I hate it, I really do!

Makin - great that you got 3 x workouts in the last week.

Cowgirl - totally agree about lunges hitting the quads too hard, which is why I've skipped them in my workouts.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    This last week has been much better with the food. Only lifting 2x though but that's okay. Sore from yesterday's workout. I switched the lunges to BSS and felt them so much more in my HS and glutes and I increased the weight too!

Jo- Well higher reps fatigue as well and maybe you lose form or maybe you rush through the higher reps to get them done and that's when injury takes place. I can see a lot of people doing that.

Hope you had a great time visiting your friends Js!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Makin, sounds like a great week. I only got in 2X lifting this week too.
    Totally agree regarding higher reps and injury. I've injured my shoulder once doing heavy DLs, but all my other muscle pulls were higher reps. It's so easy to forget form.
    Yesterday's lifting was a quicker session, but I am adequately sore today. I'm finally realizing that it's better for me to just workout hard and give it my all for a shorter session than to focus on a longer higher burn workout. For some reason my body responds better and I get better fat loss.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Yes you are probably right - I don't rush but form is an issue with those last few reps. I've pretty much singled out the 3 pt row as my problem - even though it feels ok when I'm doing it. Last time I reduced the weights but still felt all tight afterwards. Will have to swap it out for something else I guess, although I hate being defeated!!

With my back/ shoulder still slightly stiff, I am going to skip lifting today and wait until Weds. Not sure what to do today.... waiting for inspiration! Have a great week everyone xx
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Cowgirl- you know, I've stopped focussing on how long I'm lifting for and am really working on good form, getting my reps with an appropriate amount of weight to fatigue and then recovering to go move on. It seems to also be around 35-40 mins. And I usually experience DOMS so I must be doing something right! If it works for you, then keep at it girlie!

Jo- did you get an inspiration?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I'm on track to get 3 workouts in this week. Hopefully it will work.

My glutes are ridiculously sore from doing single leg DLs Tuesday. My right glute has a huge knot in it and it hurts to sit, lol.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Awesome! I most likely will only get 2 in which is typical for me.

Roll that **** out!!!!!

What weight do you use for SL DL?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I was only using 22.5 lb DB for 4 sets of 10. Really didn't think it would hit me that hard. I had a hard time distinguishing between fatigue and soreness during my workout today. Only one more workout and I will take a rest week and then start Strength. I'm really excited to be moving into this Stage.

Anyone have exciting plans for Thanksgiving?
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I counted them up and I have seven workouts left to finish up Hypertrophy. Cowgirl, I will push myself to get in my 3x a week to start Strength at about the same time as you!
    We don't have far to travel for Thanksgiving; my mother-in-law lives about 50 miles away and my mom lives 10 miles away. Nice, short drives. And we get to split it into two days, celebrating with my hubby's family on Thursday and mine on Friday. I always hated having to eat a huge lunch with one family and then going straight to the other for dinner. I would force myself to eat dinner even though I was still stuffed from lunch. I guess I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings after they spent so much time cooking for us :smile:
    Tonight we are having a slumber party for my daughter's 12th birthday. I expect to have about ten girls for the night. It will be a challenge to get my lifting in tomorrow, but I will do it!!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Trying to scroll through all the posts in this thread....can anyone tell me what the difference is between NROLS and NROL4L (for life)? I'm nowhere near doen with NROL4W yet, but I'm wondering what the next move should be (and I want to ask for whichever book for Christmas).
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Supercharged is really an updated version of For Life from what I understand. Same basic concepts, but more up to date info.

Heather, sounds like great holiday plans! It will be nice to moving through the same stage as someone else for a while. I saw you got that workout in:)

Rest week for me. I'm enjoying not stressing about fitting it in. Now to keep my macros and cals decent...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am not doing the last 2x15 workouts of Hypertrophy III, because I despise those high-rep, no-heavy-weight workouts anymore. I have one more 4x5 to go and then I am moving on to Strength I next weekend.

Oddly enough, I'm looking forward to the 2x15 supersets of 4 lifts that follow the heavy work in Strength I. I just hate doing a whole workout with no challenging weights.

On my last Hypertrophy III A 4x5 I was very proud of using 155 lbs for my working sets on DLs. I can't wait to see where I get to by the end of Strength III.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Only have 1 more of each and I'm moving on to BT IV so either by the end of the week or early next week.
    I'm looking forward to a new routine of exercises.

Still only managing 2x a week in regards to lifting. I'm doing a few days of T-25 which kind of mimics HIIT.

I can't imagine that in a year ill see any difference but I guess ill wait to see. I don't have much of a deficit most days and definitely not seeing any loss on the scale. It moves within 3-4 lbs all the time. It's hard and this time of year is much more harder.

Good luck ladies on Strength!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I am not doing the last 2x15 workouts of Hypertrophy III, because I despise those high-rep, no-heavy-weight workouts anymore.

^^ me too :-( I was hoping I'd love hypertrophy!! I haven't even had chance to read what it entails. Sigh. I will really have to be very selective with the exercises I choose so that a) it stays interesting and b) doesn't kill my shoulders/ elbow which I've been having issues with.

Still, at the rate I'm going, it'll be 2014 before l get it underway!
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Jo- are you seeing any improvement with your shoulder/ elbow? Maybe a tendinitis?

I suppose when I get to where you ladies are ill despise higher reps- actually I most likely will because I'm getting tht way with the 12 reps in BTIII.

What do you guys eat to get your protein macros where it needs to be. I need about 150 a day and barely can get 100. I use Greek yogurt, chicken, protein bars, and eggs. What else can I eat to get to where I need to be?