New Rules Supercharged

AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
As MyOwnSunshine pointed out, there seems to be a lot of interest in this program so here's an area to discuss discuss it. If we'd like to include some stickies for this we'll have to figure out how to consolidated our stickies (which is difficult as they've all been quite active lately).

So, please Supercharge away, and if you have any recommendations on how you'd like the board set up regarding stickies or introductory informatiion please PM me!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850726-supercharged

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    I got the book over the holidays..finally had hubby agree to do it with me..and them BAM....family drama.. Going to start it up again next week. ..we do it twice a week...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I have my book and am contemplating workouts for Basic Training I.

I've finished 4 workouts of Stage 7, and am contemplating repeating. I'm liking Stage 7 results, but am excited to move on to Supercharged.

I thought it might be interesting if people who are doing Supercharged would post their workout plans here to give others ideas.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    I'm gonna be stalking this thread. I'll finish NROL4W in a month or two....
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I bought the book last week . . . maybe the week before. I need to sit down and read through it. I'm working with another program but think a may be able to do a smash between the two.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I'm following Supercharged right now after doing NROL4W twice. I like it and currently doing it how Lou suggests, starting with the level 1 exercises and working up. It is actually nice to take a break and I find some of the exercises challenging (even at level 1). I'm happy that rest periods are not set, I can work through the workout quickly at this moment and I think that makes it more challenging. I'm working on Basic Training 1 at the moment and will be moving to Basic Training 2 next week.

If you were to set up stickies, you could break it up via the stages that are used in the new book. They are as follows:

Basic Training
    Hypertrophy
    Strength & Power
  • MyOwnSunshine
    I'm thinking about what I'm going to do for Basic Training.

Did you just design your Basic I routine and start doing it, or do you know what you will do for Basic I, II and III.

Would you post your A & B workouts sometime? I'm curious to see what choices other NROLFW graduates choose.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    I am only taking one step at a time, i'm doing Basic Training 1 and will plan what will come next after I finish. I will move to level 2 exercises in some areas, others might stay level 1. All of the things I am doing are level 1, but with a heavy enough weight load to make them challenging.

Workout A:
    Plank
    Plank with Pull (50 lbs)

Box jump

Goblet Squat (30 lb dumbbell)
    Standing cable row (50 lbs)
    Sprinter step-ups (15 lbs)
    Push-ups (I've been sorta relaxed about them and had been doing them on a bench, I did them from a step this time and will work up to 2x15 from the floor... )

Intervals (either on treadmill or elliptical)

Workout B:

Plank
    Plank and pull (50 lbs)

Reverse lunge with shoulder press (15 lbs or 20 lbs) (This exercise really works your entire body, probably my new favorite total body move).

Swiss ball supine hip extension (these seem easy, but i'm doing them because Lou suggested it for everyone)
    Push-ups (again!)
    Split squat (15 or 20 lb dumbbells)
    Split Stance one arm cable row (50 lbs)

Intervals (treadmill or elliptical)

I could probably go with a higher weight, but I find that at 15 reps sometimes my arm is tired. I'll change up the routine and keep pressing myself. It might seem easy, but if you feel muscle fatigue then you did workout correctly.
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Oh yay! I'm glad there is a stickied thread about this!

I started it last week on Friday, I did my third workout today for Basic Training I. I was getting bored of NROL4W and never made it past stage 3. I really enjoy the ability to customize with this and I'm really loving my workouts. I'm also getting some good burn during them.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    I'm going to start on Tuesday.

Here's my Basic Training I Plan:

Workout A

Stability: Side Plank
    Dynamic Stability: Plank and Pulldown

Power: Box Jump

Squat: Goblet Squat
    Pull: Standing Cable Row
    Single-Leg: Cross Over Step-up
    Push: Push-up

Workout B

Stability: Cable Tall Kneeling Static Hold
    Dynamic Stability: Side Plank and Row

Combination: Reverse Lunge and Shoulder Press

Hinge: Romanian Deadlift
    Push: Standing Single Arm Cable Chest Press
    Lunge: Bulgarian Split Squats
    Pull: Kneeling Lat Pulldown

I'm looking forward to Bulgarian Split Squats, and after Stage 7, I'm absolutely over lunges and regular step-ups right now. I'm looking forward to improving my squat form with the lighter weights on Goblet Squats, and improving my pushup form with fewer sets than Stage 7. I'm hoping that I can do T-pushups by the end of Basic Training.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Hi all! I've been reading and reading the New Rules Supercharged book. Looks great! (I haven't done any of the other programs.)

My home gym is lacking a few (but unfortunately, expensive) things, so I'll be shopping this weekend. My main concern is the push-ups and all their variations through the program. I can't even do one push-up. I don't know if I ever will be able to (side effect of my cancer/reconstruction). So we'll see how that goes... I'm hoping to start next weekend after I find all the supplies!
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    bump. Glad to see this posting. I just finished 4 weeks of Basic Training II. I will report this weekend with my a breakdown of my workouts (A & B). Putting together a new workout for next monday.

I like the versatility and it is giving me some pretty good calorie burns.. I did a sled push for my HIIT at the end. Oh my! Was that tough.:sad:
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    I just ordered the book. Look forward to starting it in the next couple of weeks.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    I'm on my 3rd BT1 workout. I really like the program set up. I'll still get the big lifts, but get the functional training as well. I really like designing my own workouts. I hurt my back about 2 weeks ago and this has been a great program I've been able to adapt to my injury and feel like I'm not losing out on strength training. I've done TRX for 2 years now, so the upper level exercises in the program are familiar and comfortable. I'm surprised at how difficult some of the level 2 and level 3 are for me. Good luck everyone and I look forward to "training" with you.

To Yankee. . . Push ups are tough. Start with the counter or a solid chair, use the stairs, or even the frame of your couch. Work on form. Whatever you do, do not go down on your knees. I've personally had great success using negative push ups to train for pushups rather than the alternatives in the book (great youtube clips available for demonstration). You'll get there.
  • yankeedownsouth
    To Yankee. . . Push ups are tough. Start with the counter or a solid chair, use the stairs, or even the frame of your couch. Work on form. Whatever you do, do not go down on your knees. I've personally had great success using negative push ups to train for pushups rather than the alternatives in the book (great youtube clips available for demonstration). You'll get there.

Thanks! I started the program yesterday and used my bench for pushups. I could only do 6 each time, but I figure, it's better than nothing.

As someone who's extremely uncoordinated, I found the first workout a bit of a challenge coordination-wise but not strength wise. Previously, I've been doing a barbell only program, so the goblet squats I chose didn't seem challenging enough for my legs. Also, my grip failed before my legs got tired on the step ups. I'm going to figure something to fix these too issues.

This morning when I woke up, I was really surprised at how sore I am! The workout must have been better than it felt at the time!
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Yankee, it took me a long time to be able to do a real push up! I started on the wall and worked my way down different levels of steps until I could finally do them on the floor. I lost the ability when I took a few months off lifting and now I've worked my way back down to using the fourth step of my stairs.

I've done the 5th workout of BT1 as of yesterday and hoping to do the 6th tomorrow as long as this cold I've gotten lessens up.

I love this program, I'm feeling really great. I've already been able to increase my weight a little in some lifts. I don't know if I qualify for newbie gains since I did lift from Aug to mid October and just started up again two weeks ago, but I seem to be doing well.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Basic Training I-A1 done. I wasn't sure what to expect after finishing Stage 7 of NROLFW, but it was a great workout. My back and shoulders are definitely going to be sore.

Here's my start:

Workout A

Stability: Side Plank (Harder than I thought, but made it to 30 seconds)
    Dynamic Stability: Plank and Pulldown (Really hard, especially with my left arm, but I did them all)

Power: Box Jump (Easier than I thought, did one set of 5 then one set of 8 onto a bench. Next time I'll do 8 and 8, because I don't have a higher thing to jump onto at the gym)

Squat: Goblet Squat (Did these with a 45 pound dumbbell and really worked on getting "*kitten* to grass" with my form, so they were harder than I thought)
    Pull: Standing Cable Row (Felt good, although my weights were messed up because I got bumped from the new cable machine to the old, and the weights didn't correspond for some reason (?))
    Single-Leg: Cross Over Step-up (Kind of hard to balance, but next time I'll add weights and see how they go)
    Push: Push-up (On the floor, working on form and getting my chest as close to the floor as possible every rep)

For my intervals, I got brave and did the rope thing for arms. I could only make it 30 sec, 20 sec and 20 sec. It's HARD! Then I did the stair climber for a while (lame). I'll definitely use the ropes as one of my locomotion exercises later.

Can't wait for B!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    My basic training I workouts:

Workout A:
    Plank
    Mountain Climbers

DB single arm snatch

Back squat
    DB 3 point row
    Barbell step up
    DB military shoulder press

Workout B:

Side plank
    Jackknife

Squat & press

Deadlift
    bench press
    forward lunge
    pull up - I can only do a couple so have assisitance from bands :)

I read after I put my plan together that forward lunge is an advanced move and he doesn't recomend starting with it but i'd already done it and I play football (soccer) so I need my single leg exercises to challenge me

With the RAMP and the interval at the end these workouts finish me off, not sure what I'm going to pick for Basic II as I kinda selected mostly my fav exercises :tongue:
  • yankeedownsouth
    My basic training I workouts:

Workout A:
    Plank
    Mountain Climbers

DB single arm snatch

Back squat
    DB 3 point row
    Barbell step up
    DB military shoulder press

Workout B:

Side plank
    Jackknife

Squat & press

Deadlift
    bench press
    forward lunge
    pull up - I can only do a couple so have assisitance from bands :)

I read after I put my plan together that forward lunge is an advanced move and he doesn't recomend starting with it but i'd already done it and I play football (soccer) so I need my single leg exercises to challenge me

With the RAMP and the interval at the end these workouts finish me off, not sure what I'm going to pick for Basic II as I kinda selected mostly my fav exercises :tongue:

I really like your choices - especially the compound lifts. I've already done workout A & B once each, but I may look at changing them a bit to incorporate more compounds. Those are what I really enjoy, and a lot of what I picked aren't particularly challenging because I'm so used to compounds.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    I was worried about picking the exercises from the easier end of the range, but I've found that it has allowed me to really work on my form. I'm happy to back off on the complicated compound stuff and re-focus on the basics for a bit.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Here are my Basic Training 1 workouts.

Workout A

Plank
    Side plank & row
    Box jump
    Goblet squat
    Dumb bell 2-point row
    Barbell step ups
    Push ups (with a bench because I can't do real ones)

Workout B

Side plank
    Plank with pulldown
    Reverse lunge with shoulder press
    Romanian deadlifts
    Standing single arm cable chest press
    Split squat
    Kneeling lat pulldown

My setup at home doesn't have an adjustable cable system; it only connects at the top and bottom. So I bought tubes for the chest-level exercises. I haven't really figured those out yet (that's why I'm doing dumbell rows on A days). Also, I need to do something to make the box jump a little more challenging. I'm using a 12" box, so I guess I could move up to the 18" but I'm skeered! ;)