New Rules Supercharged

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to put off doing back squats and regular DLs until Hypertrophy, but once I get there, I'm leaving them in for the rest of the program to see if I can meet my goals of 175 lb squats and 205 DLs.

I would highly recommend Sumo Deadlifts for a program -- they are killer on your glutes and inner thighs.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, good planning. I went and re-read through the programs again and I like your thinking. Since I'm only one workout in, I'm going to do the front squats again and try the Sumo DLs.

Hoping to get 2 A done today.
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel so late to the game! I ordered the book a couple of months ago, but was delayed in my lifting with the arrival of my son in March. Im jsut starting to get myself back to the gym, and im anxious to get started on this!! Im loving reading all your notes on the workouts and cant wait to get into them and understand what you are talking about.

any advice for a NR vet, but Supercharged newbie?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    Don't get too carried away when planning your workouts -- my BT III workouts are a bit too much, I think. I need to find a little better balance on BT IV. It's easy to choose all "hard" exercises and try to keep your weights up as high as possible, but it can be a little disconcerting at the end of the workout when you're totally gassed. :ohwell:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Everything Sunshine said. I've done the same thing. Since you're familiar with NR workouts, I'm sure you'll love Supercharged.

I'm about half-way through BTIV. Think I'll do 6 workouts this Stage like I have the other BT stages.
  • SweetPea482
    Options
    this is going to sound really bizarre but after readin through this entire thread, i feel like i know you and the program already!! i am so anxious to get moving! i was gong to set my start date for Monday, but now im thinking saturday. Why wait!?!? Ill post my design for the first round tomorrow.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    You'll have to let us know how it goes! Enjoy!

I'm going to do 4A in the morning. Looking forward to it. The personal trainer showed me how to do pike on an exercise ball. They were a great ab workout. I've never tried them before. I may add them in for some extra core work if I feel I need it.
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    I want to start lifting, but don't have access to a PT (well I do, but she's 30km away and we don't really have the money) and the only weights I have access to right now are hubby's old dumbells (10kg each). I can lift these for about 10 reps then have to work my *kitten* off to get to 15 (in squats and lunges).

If any experienced lifters can give me some ideas on how I can use these weights in a workout (just until we can afford to buy a barbell set) that would be awesome.

I bought NROL4W just haven't been able to sit down and read it properly (3 kids, house work, uni).

Thanks in advance

Tam
  • SweetPea482
    Options
    I want to start lifting, but don't have access to a PT (well I do, but she's 30km away and we don't really have the money) and the only weights I have access to right now are hubby's old dumbells (10kg each). I can lift these for about 10 reps then have to work my *kitten* off to get to 15 (in squats and lunges).

If any experienced lifters can give me some ideas on how I can use these weights in a workout (just until we can afford to buy a barbell set) that would be awesome.

I bought NROL4W just haven't been able to sit down and read it properly (3 kids, house work, uni).

Thanks in advance

Tam

Your best bet is to just read the book.... it will give you a ton of information on the hows of lifting... and you'll get a much better understanding of how to use what you have.
  • SweetPea482
    Options
    FINALLY! workout 1 of basic training DONE. i feel silly, since this was my first lift since March 21... but should i be feeling it in my back so much DURING the lift? Im gonna have to youtube all of the forms to make sure im doing them right.

Here's the Breakdown:

core:
    Planks: classic 1 min // 43sec with 10sec ea ft elevated
    planks with pull: TOUGH. iwent light, and still found myself 'leaning'.... tips? or did i progress too quick?

Power:
    box jumps: whyyyyyy am i afraid of this?! seriously stared at the step for a good 2 min trying to figure out how to conquer it. it was 12 INCHES! it was WAY easy, but my fear was what killed me.

Strength:
    Goblet squats with a 45DB. first set i did classic, 2nd set i did a little more 'sumo' and felt it in my inner thighs
    Inverted Rows: set the bar on the smith machine at squat height, and managed 12/11
    Steps ups: 2x20
    Pushups, elevated: got to 15 on both sets... might be time to lower the bar.

Metabolic:
    i did a mix of Burpees and cross-over mt climbers. ouch. it is such a love/hate relationship with burpees

QUESTION: Do you ladies know anything about doing the complexes with light weights on your 'off days' in a HIIT fashion? any rec's for what would be fun to do? Should i stick with some form the book or venture out on a web search?
  • SweetPea482
    Options
    You'll have to let us know how it goes! Enjoy!

I'm going to do 4A in the morning. Looking forward to it. The personal trainer showed me how to do pike on an exercise ball. They were a great ab workout. I've never tried them before. I may add them in for some extra core work if I feel I need it.

pikes are HARD! haha nice job! I can do the jackknifes pretty good after a couple rounds of NR... but i tried hte pike, and no lie, i almost sent myself into my fireplace at home!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    If you look at BTIV sample workouts in the book, he has some at the end of each workout. Might give you an idea of the type of complexes they recommend. Your workout looks great. Inverted rows are hard!

I'm liking BT IV. I'm not too fond of doing front squats again, but they are challenging and my form is much better than before.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    How is everyone? I'm one workout away from finishing BTIV. I've almost talked myself into eating at or barely above maintenance for Hypertrophy and then back to a smaller cut for strength. I really want to get the most out of the Stages as they're intended, but it terrifies me to think of possibly gaining fat. What to do, what to do....
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I am finishing my BT III this week and looking forward to IV next week. I am going to try to cut throughout BT IV, but then I'm going to maintenance for Hypertrophy and Strength. I figure that it will take me the rest of the year to get through everything, so if I need to cut more fat, I'll do a cardio cut in January and start BT III and IV over again. LOL

As long as I don't gain more than 5 pounds, I think I'll be fine, because there's no way you can do this program and not build a little lean mass and lose a little body fat.

I am really, really, really looking forward to Hypertrophy and the sets with fewer reps, though!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I am sooo ready to be done with the higher reps. As much as I like the "fat burning" phases, I sometimes feel like it's just one long cardio session.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Ok, here's what I *think* I will do. I will start Hypertrophy this week. I will stick with my deficit for this week and then I'm taking a rest week and maintenance week the week of the fourth (going out of town anyway). I will *try* to stick to maintenance or a very small deficit for 3 more weeks. I say try because my TDEE is currently (according to BodyMedia for the past month) 2700 cals! I will have a hard time eating that much and keeping it healthy.

Now I need to organize my Hypertrophy workouts!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Alrighty, got my Hypertrophy workouts ready:

Workout A:

Plank reduced support
    Swiss ball mountain climbers(if I can do them, otherwise, it will be regular mountain climbers)

Overhead step-ups
    Dumbbell bench press
    Deadlift
    Two point row

Complex:
    Front squat
    High pull
    Push press

Hypertrophy B:
    Side plank reduced support
    Push aways

BSS
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Back squat
    Inverted rows

Clean
    RDL
    Row
  • SweetPea482
    Options
    your hypertrophy looks awesome! seriously... im already not liking high reps during the BT. im only doing the 4 workouts per section of BT. and im already incorporating complexes into my metabolic. I know im jumping a little, but those are actually a lot of fun to do. Im still doing burpees/mt climbers for WA, but then i do complexes for WB.. and i might start doing another version on my 'off' days'.

one thing you are talking about that i am curious about is the 'cutting' stuff... i just switched to TDEE when i started Supercharged, so im finally getting a handle and understanding on that way of eating. so what are you doing differntly to cut? higher deficit?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Right now, my deficit is around 18% of my TDEE. I've been at a deficit for about 6 months straight(other than a few unplanned maintenance weeks). I'm finally under 30% BF by all the calculators and the visual estimation from Sarauk and SideSteel, so I'm going to go back to TDEE for a few weeks to give my body a break (and hopefully prevent a plateau). Then I'll go back to a 10% deficit and try to get another 8-10% BF off of me.
    I keep reading about how the leaner one is, the lower the deficit should be to prevent muscle loss. I am by no means lean, but I DON'T want to lose any muscle at this point.
    Anyway, yes, I just eat at some sort of deficit of TDEE to "cut". From what I've read, typically the leaner you are, the smaller the deficit and it's best to keep the deficit at <20% if you want to continue to see good strength gains.
    That was more of a ramble than I intended, LOL :laugh:
  • SweetPea482
    Options
    that actually makes sense... but for my weight (224) everything that i find in terms of a TDEE calc, they say that with that amoutn to lose, i need to have the deficit at 20%

i feel like at this point, im just gonna keep it there and keep losing, while i lift... and once i get down closer to the 180-190s then i can put my focus on the bf% and how to cut properly.

is that dumb, honestly?? i feel like i have so much fat to lose right now... i dunno. (hows that for a ramble sentence )