New Rules Supercharged

Options

Replies

• NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Just finished up NROLFW this morning. I'll be looking over my plan for BT I this weekend. My plan is to start on Monday.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it over here, Nthn!

I did workout A2 Wednesday. Burpees with light KB swings for intervals. I was able to increase my weights on the goblet squats and I was able to do the planks with a leg elevated for 15 secs at a time. So good to see some progress. I'm totally bored with step-ups and I'm not really using much weight, but I still REALLY feel them when I do them right. So I'll just keep doing them...
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it over here, Nthn!

Yes, welcome!!
    I did workout A2 Wednesday. Burpees with light KB swings for intervals. I was able to increase my weights on the goblet squats and I was able to do the planks with a leg elevated for 15 secs at a time. So good to see some progress. I'm totally bored with step-ups and I'm not really using much weight, but I still REALLY feel them when I do them right. So I'll just keep doing them...

Are you doing them with a barbell? I find that I have to concentrate much harder to keep my balance with a barbell, which makes them not so boring.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Yankee, I was doing them with a barbell, then I realized my form wasn't the greatest. Now I've increased the height of the step and dropped my weight a little. But you're right, they're harder that way. I've been doing them with 20 lb DBs so I need to up it to 45 anyway.

Did 2B today. I love to hate those plank variations. They're such a great workout. Did the bike for an interval (not my thing) then did some treadmill intervals. I am exhausted in a really good way!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I did 3A Monday. Hoping to get 3B in today. The kids have got another cold so I hate to take them with me. Might just have to do it after DH gets home from work late tonight.
    I was able to increase my height on the box jumps. I was really scared to do it because I didn't want to fall on my face but I was glad I did. They're really tough when the box is at your knees or higher.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I did 3A Monday. Hoping to get 3B in today. The kids have got another cold so I hate to take them with me. Might just have to do it after DH gets home from work late tonight.
    I was able to increase my height on the box jumps. I was really scared to do it because I didn't want to fall on my face but I was glad I did. They're really tough when the box is at your knees or higher.

I'm right there with you on this. I wimped out of increasing the height on my box jumps for the same reason. I held dumb bells as well.

I'm about halfway through BT II. I'm not loving the push aways (I think that's what they're called) in the core section. It feels very awkward to me, in a bad way, and I don't think I'm getting much from the exercise. I won't do this one in any more of my programs. I had a much better workout with the awful, awful plank pulldowns and rows.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I haven't been able to lift since Monday....I really need to get back in the gym. Now I've got a kid with a stomach bug and DH has been working so late that it's impossible to go after he gets home. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

Yankee, I know he says to try and switch things up for each BT Stage, but I think I'm going to stick with the same stability exercises for BTII with harder variations. I like how hard they work my core and I feel it after EVERY workout which is something I didn't even experience in NROL4W.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I haven't been able to lift since Monday....I really need to get back in the gym. Now I've got a kid with a stomach bug and DH has been working so late that it's impossible to go after he gets home. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

Yankee, I know he says to try and switch things up for each BT Stage, but I think I'm going to stick with the same stability exercises for BTII with harder variations. I like how hard they work my core and I feel it after EVERY workout which is something I didn't even experience in NROL4W.

I'm right there with you. For BT 3, I'm going to go back to the plank/rows and pulldowns as much as I hate them. Also, I'm going to start using more compound lifts with my next program and probably stick with them through a number of programs. I just prefer to stick to my favorites rather than switching it up once a month.

I hope you can get back to the gym soon!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Did 3B Saturday. Hoping to get 4A today. Might go ahead and do 6 A & B workouts instead of just 4. I think I will like the results from this program. The scale is down another 0.8lbs this morning and my waist is shrinking again(I think). And I've been eating like a pig this past week.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I did my first Basic Training II workout today. I was pressed for time, so I only did 2 sets of 10 of each exercise, but I'll do 3 next time and 4 the time after.

I will say that squats with overhead press (my combination move) are much, much harder than they look in the book!
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I'm taking a week off from lifting. I was at the point where I was sore all the time, even after a two day rest, my energy was low, and I was dreading my lifting workouts. I was planning on taking a week after I finished BT II, but MFP pals convinced me to do it now. And I'm glad I did. My legs are STILL sore, and I haven't lifted since Sunday! I'll be back at it on Tuesday.
    I will say that squats with overhead press (my combination move) are much, much harder than they look in the book!

I've found all the combination moves harder than I expected! This one sounds like it won't be any different when I get to it!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I'm liking my Basic Training II workout a lot! It is very leg intensive, which I like.

Jump squats are an awesome power move! I used 15x2 dumbbells, but will move up to 20x2 next time.

I'm doing Front Squats for my squat, and experimenting with form and grip. Without the push press to break up the hold, they kill my wrists, but I really want to master the form.

I did 3 intervals of box jumps and 3 intervals of waiter carries for my intervals. It was hard and fun! People look at me like I'm insane while I'm doing carries around the gym, though. LOL

I really love this program -- it's fun to create your own routines.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sunshine, those jump squats look hard. I remember doing them for the BWM in NROL4W and I'm not sure I'll be able to do them with any weight at all. Way to go!
    BT II Workout 1A is done. Love the new exercises. That cable static hold is TOUGH. And the hip extension with leg curl is no joke. I'm not sure I was doing it right- my calves were BURNING on that one.

Running intervals and farmer's carries today. I LOVE doing the different interval exercises. Makes things much less monotonous.

How'd the rest week go, Yankee?
    Nthn, you still around?
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    My rest week has been so nice! I'm back at it tomorrow. I'm interested to see how my workout goes after a week off...
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am only taking one step at a time, i'm doing Basic Training 1 and will plan what will come next after I finish. I will move to level 2 exercises in some areas, others might stay level 1. All of the things I am doing are level 1, but with a heavy enough weight load to make them challenging.

Workout A:
    Plank
    Plank with Pull (50 lbs)

Box jump

Goblet Squat (30 lb dumbbell)
    Standing cable row (50 lbs)
    Sprinter step-ups (15 lbs)
    Push-ups (I've been sorta relaxed about them and had been doing them on a bench, I did them from a step this time and will work up to 2x15 from the floor... )

Intervals (either on treadmill or elliptical)

Workout B:

Plank
    Plank and pull (50 lbs)

Reverse lunge with shoulder press (15 lbs or 20 lbs) (This exercise really works your entire body, probably my new favorite total body move).

Swiss ball supine hip extension (these seem easy, but i'm doing them because Lou suggested it for everyone)
    Push-ups (again!)
    Split squat (15 or 20 lb dumbbells)
    Split Stance one arm cable row (50 lbs)

Intervals (treadmill or elliptical)

I could probably go with a higher weight, but I find that at 15 reps sometimes my arm is tired. I'll change up the routine and keep pressing myself. It might seem easy, but if you feel muscle fatigue then you did workout correctly.

1. Thanks for posting, this is amazing to read.
    2. Your back looks great! Envy.
    3. Does this sound like a different language to anyone? I saw a blog where the girl posted the sets, and then inserted youtube videos of the moves (loved looking in on it...though, I'm not quite there on lifting yet).
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Alrighty, got my first BTII workout B finished. I did everything the same as his sample workout except I did Planks with Pulldowns for the dynamic stability. I know, I know. We're not supposed to keep doing the same exercises, but I didn't have anything to do the push aways with and I KNOW that the PWP still really get my core and, well, everything. Makes my whole body sore.
    I had a hard time with the off-set step ups. I only used 10 lbs because my balance is apparently horrid. But I'm using a step that is above my knee and made sure I got a GREAT booty workout. I can barely do them with body weight at that height. Box jumps and sprints for intervals. Love these workouts!

Do any of you wear a HRM? If so, how many calories are you burning for these workouts? I'm burning a little over 300 per my Body Media (which I realize doesn't always do a great job on weight training).
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    BT II is taking forever to finish! Doesn't help that I took a week off and then missed my workout on Sunday. I have two more workouts and then I get to move on to BT III. I'm looking forward to changing up my program; there are some things I have in II that I just don't like (and I don't think I'm getting anything from).

Alrighty, got my first BTII workout B finished. I did everything the same as his sample workout except I did Planks with Pulldowns for the dynamic stability. I know, I know. We're not supposed to keep doing the same exercises, but I didn't have anything to do the push aways with and I KNOW that the PWP still really get my core and, well, everything. Makes my whole body sore.
    I had a hard time with the off-set step ups. I only used 10 lbs because my balance is apparently horrid. But I'm using a step that is above my knee and made sure I got a GREAT booty workout. I can barely do them with body weight at that height. Box jumps and sprints for intervals. Love these workouts!

Do any of you wear a HRM? If so, how many calories are you burning for these workouts? I'm burning a little over 300 per my Body Media (which I realize doesn't always do a great job on weight training).

With as much as I hate them, I'm actually going to add the planks with pulldowns back into my program for BT III. I got a lot out of them and want to give them another go.

For my offset stepups, I'm using a shorter step (almost to my knee), and last night I upped my weight to a 44 lb kettlebell. I was pretty excited! I do have a much higher step, and I think I'll incorporate stepups with that that into my intervals for BT III.

I have no idea how many calories I'm burning. I don't use my HRM because I hear they're really inaccurate for strength. I would be very curious to find out though. It feels like I'm burning a TON! So exhausting!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    BT II Workout 3A done. Love this workout. I've been doing 3 sets and today I upped my weights on everything.
    Yankee, I tried the pushaways on Monday and OUCH. I was pleasantly surprised at how hard they were. I think I'll continue them for BTII. Hope you can finish soon and move on to BT III. I think I need to lower my step for the off set pushups and increase my weights.

I am really liking the results of this workout. I've lost around 5lbs and a few inches since starting!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    What are you using for the pushaways? They sound interesting.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    My gym has these round "Super Sliders". They're basically furniture sliders, but they are specifically for exercises. My gym is so awesome!