New Rules Supercharged

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Move up to the 18" box! If I can do it, you can do it. I totally surprised myself by doing box jumps onto a weight bench like a boss. I was scared to death that I would crash, but it was easier than I thought and I actually added some reps, because I don't have anything at the gym that's higher to jump onto.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My basic training I workouts:

Workout A:
    Plank
    Mountain Climbers

DB single arm snatch

Back squat
    DB 3 point row
    Barbell step up
    DB military shoulder press

Workout B:

Side plank
    Jackknife

Squat & press

Deadlift
    bench press
    forward lunge
    pull up - I can only do a couple so have assisitance from bands :)

I read after I put my plan together that forward lunge is an advanced move and he doesn't recomend starting with it but i'd already done it and I play football (soccer) so I need my single leg exercises to challenge me

With the RAMP and the interval at the end these workouts finish me off, not sure what I'm going to pick for Basic II as I kinda selected mostly my fav exercises :tongue:

I really like your choices - especially the compound lifts. I've already done workout A & B once each, but I may look at changing them a bit to incorporate more compounds. Those are what I really enjoy, and a lot of what I picked aren't particularly challenging because I'm so used to compounds.

yeah I love compound lifting and I work out at home so don't have a cable machine, I'm still not sure what to chose for BT II as you are supposed to pick completely new exercises, maybe I should have split the compound lifts over the three stages?? Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I tried the box jump (12") today with super light dumb bells, and it was still too easy. I guess I'll try the 18" box next time. Hopefully I won't fall on my face! It's too bad the surface area is so small!
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    So how is everyone doing on the program? I've got four more workouts left of Basic Training 1. I'm looking forward to designing Basic Training 2.

So far, I've learned that I HATE reverse lunges with shoulder press. I'm so uncoordinated, and my balance is poor, so I'm really struggling with this one. Same goes for split squats. Oh, and those planks with pulldowns are from the devil! LOL

However, I'm loving the step ups now that I'm using the barbell with weights. That's a very nice leg workout. And I'm finally getting better at the Romanian deadlift. I had to buy wrist straps because my grip was failing way before my legs were tired with such a high rep number. Much better now.

Who else?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    Agree that planks with pulldowns are the devil! I have found that I am way stronger pulling with my right arm than with my left, which is weird.

I like the reverse lunges with the overhead presses, but am having trouble increasing my weights. We'll see how this week goes.

I chose crossover step-ups and have a hard time holding dumbbells and keeping my balance -- I may switch up and do something else this week.

I am thinking about doing 3 sets instead of 2 for the rest of Basic I, because I can't up my weights with the high reps, but feel like I need to do a little more. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Overall, I'm liking this program a lot!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Wow this program is a little more confusing than I thought, but I think it's because I've got the iPad version. I am planning on doing my first workout today. I've decided just to do the template that he gives in the book for Basic Training I (it's what I would've picked anyway). Can't wait to get started!!!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Workout 1 is done. I need to go the gym without the kids next time so I can take my time and really find the right weights for the squats and row. I like how this is set up with the RAMP and core training first. I felt like my body was engaged and warmed up for the heavy stuff.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I'm amazed at how sore I get from doing the goblet squats. Even though I'm only using a 50 lb dumbbell, I really work on great form and my regular squat form has really improved, too.

In some ways, I was reluctant to go back to the "lesser" lifts, but now I'm happy I did.

I like the RAMP stuff and I love the foam rolling afterwards. I also like doing the core exercises at the beginning before the superset lifts.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    In some ways, I was reluctant to go back to the "lesser" lifts, but now I'm happy I did.

I agree!

I finished Basic Training 1 on Thursday, so I'll be starting BT II on Sunday. Here's what I'm planning:

Day A
    Core - Cable tall kneeling static hold
    Combination - Romanian DL and row
    Strength - Reverse lunges
    Kneeling lat pd - overhand
    Cable pull through
    Pushups
    Intervals - Kettlebell swing

Day B
    Core - Pushaways
    Power - Jump squat
    Strength - Off loaded step up
    Half kneeling single arm cable press
    Front squat
    Dumb bell 3 pt row
    Intervals - Farmers carry (my grip is terrible; hopefully this will help)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I agree. I am glad to be improving my form on squats.

I like your BT II workouts, Yankee!

I am not clear on how the intervals work when you're doing the carrying exercises. Do you carry it for a minute, then rest for 2? Or do you carry a heavy load for a minute and then a light load for 2? Same with kettle bell, burpees, jump rope, etc. Do you swing for 1, stop for 2? Or just increase/decrease intensity? I've always just done treadmill intervals, but want to do other things.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options

I am not clear on how the intervals work when you're doing the carrying exercises. Do you carry it for a minute, then rest for 2? Or do you carry a heavy load for a minute and then a light load for 2? Same with kettle bell, burpees, jump rope, etc. Do you swing for 1, stop for 2? Or just increase/decrease intensity? I've always just done treadmill intervals, but want to do other things.

Good question. I hadn't really thought about it. When I was doing BT I, I rested for the off times but usually spent it putting away all my weights and stuff (so not just sitting around, but not doing the exercise either) if that makes sense... I wonder if I'm doing it right.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I'll have to google it when I get the chance. Maybe I can find some Youtube videos.

So I thought that the side plank with rows weren't so hard yesterday....today I am totally feeling them. Ouch.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options

I do farmer's carries with 2 dumbbells, and carry them around the gym for as long as I possibly can until I have to set them down. Then I rest my hands for a while and do it again. I think I did it four times last time.

For the battle rope, I do it as long as I can (20-30 seconds) then rest for a minute, then repeat for as long as I can each time.

I like mixing up my intervals. Some times I run on the treadmill, too -- either by itself or combined with one of the others. I also want to try jumping rope. Box jumps would be an awesome interval, as well. I'm doing them for my power move in Basic I, but will do them as an interval in the next workouts.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I like mixing up my intervals. Some times I run on the treadmill, too -- either by itself or combined with one of the others. I also want to try jumping rope. Box jumps would be an awesome interval, as well. I'm doing them for my power move in Basic I, but will do them as an interval in the next workouts.

I did jumping rope in BT I. I hadn't jumped rope since I was a kid! It was kind of fun. :) Good idea about the box jumps. I think I'll do that at some point as well. Thanks for the idea!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

I do farmer's carries with 2 dumbbells, and carry them around the gym for as long as I possibly can until I have to set them down. Then I rest my hands for a while and do it again. I think I did it four times last time.

For the battle rope, I do it as long as I can (20-30 seconds) then rest for a minute, then repeat for as long as I can each time.

This makes sense. Thanks!
    I also looked up some KB intervals. It looks like fun.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    2nd workout is done. I need to up my weights next workout. But I really like the way these flow.
    I did some KB intervals and that was fun. I just switched off with 20 lbs and 10 lbs to increase the effort. I need a heavier one to really make it "intense".
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options

I agree!

I finished Basic Training 1 on Thursday, so I'll be starting BT II on Sunday. Here's what I'm planning:

Day A
    Core - Cable tall kneeling static hold
    Combination - Romanian DL and row
    Strength - Reverse lunges
    Kneeling lat pd - overhand
    Cable pull through
    Pushups
    Intervals - Kettlebell swing

Day B
    Core - Pushaways
    Power - Jump squat
    Strength - Off loaded step up
    Half kneeling single arm cable press
    Front squat
    Dumb bell 3 pt row
    Intervals - Farmers carry (my grip is terrible; hopefully this will help)

So I did my first Basic Training day today. I'm not sure what to think about the pushaways. I used furniture movers, but I really wasn't feeling it. I'm probably doing something wrong.

I had front squats planned into this workout. I've never done them before, and I am not going to start now! They felt totally wrong and way too dangerous with my reconstruction (breast cancer - mast and reconstruction on both sides). So I switched to back squats. I love those most anyway!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Those push-aways look complex. I don't blame you for not wanting to do the front squat. That's a lot of stress to put on that area.

I swear I am hurting in muscles I didnt know existed! Thank you, evil side planks and planks with pull-down.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    Those push-aways look complex. I don't blame you for not wanting to do the front squat. That's a lot of stress to put on that area.

I swear I am hurting in muscles I didnt know existed! Thank you, evil side planks and planks with pull-down.

Planks with pull-downs are from the devil!!