New Rules Supercharged

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Busy week this week for me, too... I did get my NROL workouts in and will do 5A of Basic II today. I'm not taking a rest week after II because I've been fairly sporadic lately and will probably need a rest week due to scheduling when school starts in May. I'll post my Basic II stats and Basic III plan later this week.

One thing I've noticed is that my arms and legs are getting really, really cut and lean during Basic Training. I think I'm going to try to do a harcore 28-day cut during Basic III and see if I can get the last 10 pounds of fat off of my torso.

During the last few weeks, one of the most fit guys at my gym has struck up a friendship with me. He does workouts that would be the equivalent of NROL volume 10 on steroids -- lots of power moves, push-ups from a handstand, pistol squats with a barbell -- just crazy stuff. He started asking me about my workouts and was really, really impressed with the New Rules plan, which makes me feel even better about sticking to the NROL style of training.

He showed me some new moves that are really hard (step ups on the assisted chin-up machine, some crazy core things using the lat pulldown machine and a swiss ball) that I am going to incorporate into my Supercharged workouts. That's why I love Supercharged -- I feel like it has no limits as to exercises or combinations that I can use.

He also gave me a website to look at: www.t-nation.com . It is a strength/power/body-building site that has articles from a lot of experts. It even has older articles from Alwyn Cosgrove. I've actually learned a lot and had a lot of questions answered by reading it. (Warning: the t stands for testosterone, and it is fairly testosterone-laden, but still informative.)

Hopefully, next week won't be so busy, so I'll check in a bit more. Keep up the hard work and heavy lifting!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

My BTIII workout A is really tough. My whole body was very sore after Monday. Yesterday I didn't feel like doing B, but I did. It's very focused on the upper body. My shoulders were burning like I've never felt them burn. I think I may switch my two power exercises so that my arms can handle 3 sets of the chest press and the push-ups with rows. Yesterday I barely finished 2. If I do explosive push-ups for WO A and jump squats for WO B maybe it will help.

Explosive push-ups?? You're brave and awesome! I'm kind of scared to try those, but maybe I'll give them a shot. I freakin' love weighted jump squats.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

My BTIII workout A is really tough. My whole body was very sore after Monday. Yesterday I didn't feel like doing B, but I did. It's very focused on the upper body. My shoulders were burning like I've never felt them burn. I think I may switch my two power exercises so that my arms can handle 3 sets of the chest press and the push-ups with rows. Yesterday I barely finished 2. If I do explosive push-ups for WO A and jump squats for WO B maybe it will help.

Explosive push-ups?? You're brave and awesome! I'm kind of scared to try those, but maybe I'll give them a shot. I freakin' love weighted jump squats.

Believe me, they aren't that impressive. I can't really get my hands off the ground(unless i do them from the weight bench)- I just do them as fast and powerful as possible. It's a hardcore upper body workout!

I am definitely going to look up the t-nation stuff. Glad you've got a fellow lifter for support at your gym!

I did BTIII 2A yesterday and it wasn't great. I upped my weights on the RDLs, but everything else was just off. I haven't had enough sleep this week and is definitely affecting my performance.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I may try explosive push-ups on III as well. My knees are starting to complain about all the sqats and jumps and squat jumps...
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Soooo....I did workout 2B on Monday. I decided to do the Zercher squats instead of the offset. The offset REALLY irritates my back- like my sciatic nerve twinged for a few days after. I'm thinking it's a flexibility/form issue? They always hurt doing NROL4W too. Think I'll just avoid them for now. The Zercher is definitely a challenge.

Hows everyone doing? Has anyone tried pistol squats? They look so cool, but I can't get even parallel without falling.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Soooo....I did workout 2B on Monday. I decided to do the Zercher squats instead of the offset. The offset REALLY irritates my back- like my sciatic nerve twinged for a few days after. I'm thinking it's a flexibility/form issue? They always hurt doing NROL4W too. Think I'll just avoid them for now. The Zercher is definitely a challenge.

Hows everyone doing? Has anyone tried pistol squats? They look so cool, but I can't get even parallel without falling.

Oh, those Zercher squats look challenging! Maybe I'll put them in my BT IV program! I'll never in a million years be able to do pistol squats without falling over.

I've got three more workouts left in BTIII, and I'm looking forward to moving on to something different. That's definitely one thing I like about Supercharged - you get to mix things up so often that you don't have time to get bored!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I happy to be finished with BTII and moving on to BTIII.

Here's what I'm doing for BTIIIA:

Dynamic Stability: Plank and Pull-down
    Power: Dumbbell Single Arm Snatch (I liked these in NROLFW)
    Hinge: Sumo Deadlift (these are trippy -- love/hate!)
    Push: Dumbbell Bench Press
    Lunge: Split Squat Rear Food Elevated
    Pull: Kneeling Lat Pull-down with Stirrup Handles
    Combination: Single Leg Dumbbell Row (I know they're not in Supercharged, but I need something not hinge or squats)

Here's my BTIIIB:

Dynamic Stability: Side Plank and Row
    Power: Explosive Push-ups
    Squat: Offset Overhead Squat
    Pull: TRX Suspended Rows
    Single Leg: Pistol Squats (I'm using the beginning progression from t-nation.com)
    Push: TRX Suspended Push-ups
    Combination: Romanian DL and Row

I've done IIIA once and it was a really balanced, hard workout. I think I'm getting the hang of planning so the workout flows and is balanced. I really loved/hated the sumo deadlifts with the barbell.

I'm looking forward to IIIB today. I've been wanting to do some TRX exercises, so I'll see how they go. As for pistol squats, I'm going to start by sitting on a bench and going to standing, then I'm going to use the TRX straps to stabilize. Hopefully by the end of this stage, I'll be able to do some to parallel without assistance.

I'm trying to avoid using regular back barbell squats and regular deadlifts until Hypertrophy, but I'm really looking forward to advancing my weight on the big lifts again.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    Ok, change in plans for IIIB....

I'm NOT doing TRX Suspended Push-Ups because I'm:
    a/ not strong enough
    b/ not coordinated enough
    c/ not smart enough to understand how to freaking do them
    d/ all of the above

I am doing Kneeling Cable Chest Presses instead.

Also, my pistol squats are laughable. I sort of want to ditch them, but I think I'm going to stick it out and see how much I can improve, and hopefully get to at least parallel by the end of the stage.

Also, I was sort of proud that I can get about 2 mm of air between my hands and the floor on the Explosive Push-ups. Room for improvement, but I like it!

Otherwise, it's a solid workout and I think I'm going to like it.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I tried the TRX push-ups a few weeks ago and I agree-they're hard and very awkward. Maybe I will use them later when I am stronger. The chest press is definitely sufficient. Way to go on the explosive push-ups! I can only do two from the ground and get air, but they're improving. I think I may try the pistol squats for IV. Your workout sounds fun!
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I think your new BTIII workout sounds great! So many things in there I could never do!

I've got one workout left (tomorrow) for BTIII, so I need to get planning for IV. I've added a day of fairly intense bike riding into my week, so this may end up impacting my lifting for a while, at least until it gets too hot to ride. But I love riding, so I'm trying to accept the fact that I may have to adjust my lifting for it. It's hard when I want to do it all, but I know that I can't (and probably shouldn't).
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I think it's always best to do what you ENJOY. Otherwise the motivation factor will definitely affect workouts. Have fun planning BT IV!
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I finished BTIII yesterday! I have decided to take a week off from lifting before I start BTIV. I have a crazy week this week, so I was going to have a very hard time fitting in my workouts anyway. This will be a nice rest...
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    A rest week sounds good! I will have a pseudo-rest week next week, because I have 1-1/2 days of in-person class on my first week of school in addition to fitting in all my work hours, I don't think I'm going to be able to fit my NROL workouts in. I didn't take a rest week between II and III, so it should be okay.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Enjoy your rest week ladies! Sounds like rests are a great idea for both of you.

Speaking of that, I haven't taken a rest week since the middle of Feb. I think I probably should take one after BTIII. Only have two more workouts left. I never would have said this when I started lifting, but now I have to MAKE myself rest. I feel out of sorts if I don't get my 3X week lifting sessions in!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I did 5 workouts of BT III and I'm just going to move on to BT IV. I really disliked the workouts and was not pushing myself. I've had 5 days rest and am meting with PT today. Since my BT IV includes DLs, it will be perfect timing to get my DL form perfected.

How's everyone else?
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I did 5 workouts of BT III and I'm just going to move on to BT IV. I really disliked the workouts and was not pushing myself. I've had 5 days rest and am meting with PT today. Since my BT IV includes DLs, it will be perfect timing to get my DL form perfected.

How's everyone else?

What did you dislike about BTIII? I wasn't a huge fan, mostly because I don't care for sets of 12. But I also think I did a poor job of developing my program, and I included too many exercises that I dislike. I'm working on creating BTIV right now, and I'm intentionally making it a bit easier so I can find my "love of lifting" again. Plus, it's in the nineties here already, and I work out in my very hot garage. Ugh...
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Yankee, it was poor planning on my part. I disliked all of the exercises, not just some of them. I don't blame you for making it a little easier. I think for these higher rep sets, it's probably better for us mentally to do the ones we enjoy.

I went over my BT IV workouts with a personal trainer yesterday and I think I will really like them.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    I think I'm really digging this new BTIV program I just started! I've done both A and B days now, and I liked them both. NO BARBELLS!

Here's what I've got:

Workout A:

Core - Swiss ball rollout (damn! this is HARD!)
    Comb - Offset squat/press with kettlebell

Strength
    Hinge - Kettlebell sumo deadlift
    Push - Incline dumb bell bench press
    Single-leg - Dumb bell step up with tall step (it's a few inches above my knee)
    Pull - Widegrip lat pulldown

Metabolic
    Hinge - Kettlebell sumo dead
    Push - Dumb bell shoulder press
    Locomotion - Walking lunges
    Pull - 3 pt dumb bell row

Workout B

Core - Plank with reduced support
    Comb - Squat with dumb bell shoulder press

Strength
    Squat - Goblet squat (working on getting *kitten* to grass)
    Pull - Dumb bell 3 point row
    Lunge - Side lunge with kettlebell
    Push - Dumb bell shoulder press

Metabolic
    Squat - Squat with dumb bells
    Pull - Lat pulldown
    Locomotion - Waiters walk
    Push - Dumb bell bench press

The program is heavy on squats and shoulder press, but I like those, so it's all good. And I intentionally stayed away from barbells for this last basic training.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Your IV program looks really good! You'll definitely get some shoulder action.Those Swiss Ball roll outs are incredibly hard! The PT I met with showed me how to do them on my knees. I'm hoping to work up to doing them on my toes by the end of this Stage.

I'm pretty much using the Sample workouts except for a few substitutions. I'm doing back squats instead of the front squat. I miss the barbells, Yankee! I did my first B workout and my shoulders are pooped! My arms are still shaking three hours after. I love knowing I got a great workout!

I actually had to wait on the squat rack today. Another woman was doing wide grip DLs from a box. She was only doing about 55lbs, but I thought it was awesome to see another lady using the bars! I asked her if she was doing a particular program and she said she just does her own routine "trying to get a round booty". She's probably 10 years older than me, but her body was about twice as hot as mine. As I was leaving, she was squatting 120lbs in sets of 12.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options
    Your IV program looks really good! You'll definitely get some shoulder action.Those Swiss Ball roll outs are incredibly hard! The PT I met with showed me how to do them on my knees. I'm hoping to work up to doing them on my toes by the end of this Stage.

I'm pretty much using the Sample workouts except for a few substitutions. I'm doing back squats instead of the front squat. I miss the barbells, Yankee! I did my first B workout and my shoulders are pooped! My arms are still shaking three hours after. I love knowing I got a great workout!

I actually had to wait on the squat rack today. Another woman was doing wide grip DLs from a box. She was only doing about 55lbs, but I thought it was awesome to see another lady using the bars! I asked her if she was doing a particular program and she said she just does her own routine "trying to get a round booty". She's probably 10 years older than me, but her body was about twice as hot as mine. As I was leaving, she was squatting 120lbs in sets of 12.

Yeah, I usually love the barbells, but the heat is draining me, so I wanted to create an easier program. I hope it helps my motivation. I'm sure I'll be back to the barbell in Hypertrophy!