November check-in and chat

Options

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Haha Cruisin I also yell random cuss strings when I get a heavy deadlift. Also virtual high five on feeling all confident in the weight room! :drinker:

I was still so tired from Wednesday I skipped everything but squats and bench. I did 200x5 for squats and then one of the other gym regulars told me I should (why do I listen to these guys) I did 225x1. I probably could have done a triple, but I still had to bench. Bench was a spectacular fail. I did 138x1.5? lol I knew it would be hard though, and it's about time I had a stall so I'm not too upset.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    DOMS really like me... Makes me feel accomplished but I am not walking like a cute awkward newborn deer any longer... I am now a stiff legged species with no moveable parts. Lol! Geez!!

Taking another rest day before finishing off the week with my 3rd workout.

It's been a rough week lol. Mammogram from hell yesterday and an unpleasant dentist appointment today with more scheduled in the very near future..... Blahhhhh!

Good job ladies!! You are all some pretty kick *kitten* women!!
  • BJC78
    Options
    Haha Cruisin I also yell random cuss strings when I get a heavy deadlift. Also virtual high five on feeling all confident in the weight room! :drinker:

I was still so tired from Wednesday I skipped everything but squats and bench. I did 200x5 for squats and then one of the other gym regulars told me I should (why do I listen to these guys) I did 225x1. I probably could have done a triple, but I still had to bench. Bench was a spectacular fail. I did 138x1.5? lol I knew it would be hard though, and it's about time I had a stall so I'm not too upset.

200lbs?!?! Holy *kitten* buckets!!!! Pure awesomeness!!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Virtual high give back at ya! Im pretty sure if I ever get close to 200 lbs on anything, I won't be able to contain a big sting of cuss words! :bigsmile:

Edited to fix an autocorrect typo that I didn't notice until fittree quoted it. :tongue:
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    DOMS really like me... Makes me feel accomplished but I am not walking like a cute awkward newborn deer any longer... I am now a stiff legged species with no moveable parts. Lol! Geez!!

Taking another rest day before finishing off the week with my 3rd workout.

It's been a rough week lol. Mammogram from hell yesterday and an unpleasant dentist appointment today with more scheduled in the very near future..... Blahhhhh!

Good job ladies!! You are all some pretty kick *kitten* women!!

Omg my first week of SL it was hard to pee. Squatting down to the toilet required holding onto the sink and wincing in pain the whole way down and up.

Booo on the mammogram. Some women who apparently don't have nerves don't seem to mind them, but I find it a pretty horrible experience. Ugh. It might just be because we're relatively young though. An 80 year old boob is a lot less dense than a 30 something boob.

Also thank you for the compliment! :blushing:
  • Fittreelol
    Options

Virtual high give back at ya! Im pretty sure if I ever get close to 200 lbs on anything, I won't be able to contain a kid sting of cuss words! :bigsmile:

You totally can! It just depends on if you get bored with similar exercise routines or not. A lot of my friends that started SL at the same time as me got a good lifting foundation and then went on or back to training for the sport they like most (running etc.) while lifting a couple times a week. Others have moved on to more of a hypertrophy program. I just want to be the strongest tree I can be. It's a lot easier to get high numbers when it's your goal to do so :laugh:
  • rlw911
    Options

Virtual high give back at ya! Im pretty sure if I ever get close to 200 lbs on anything, I won't be able to contain a kid sting of cuss words! :bigsmile:

You totally can! It just depends on if you get bored with similar exercise routines or not. A lot of my friends that started SL at the same time as me got a good lifting foundation and then went on or back to training for the sport they like most (running etc.) while lifting a couple times a week. Others have moved on to more of a hypertrophy program. I just want to be the strongest tree I can be. It's a lot easier to get high numbers when it's your goal to do so :laugh:

I do get bored with things easily, but im finding out I really love lifting. I feel challenged by my workouts and love seeing progress every day, no matter how small it is. As for lifting 200lbs, I think/hope it's possible down the road. A month ago, I'd never done a barbell squat, deadlift or bench press, much less even touched an Olympic bar. Now, I look forward to going to the gym and seeing just how strong I can be.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Well today I was almost the only person in the gym this afternoon, and I did some c*cking around really. Warmed up on the dreadmill for 5 minutes, stretched a little bit, then..
    Bench 42.5kg 3,3,3 - ground up the 3rd of each of the first two sets, then found the sole other person in the gym (lurking in the bro zone) and asked for a spot. Only had to growl 'don't touch it' once despite having explained what I needed! This time of course the third rep flew up, could have attempted a fourth but I'd already set the expectation that I'd only do 3. This is my nemesis weight on bench, and my first time back up at it, so not too bad really.

I did a couple of sets of ten very light deadlifts - one with 30kg, one with 40 as the 5kg bumpers are useless! Also a set of 10 bar only squats. Nothing hurt at the time or at the moment. I'm wondering though if I have very tight hamstrings at the moment and if that might be it..

Then I tried my first ever chin up using the power rack as the bar.. and if I jump it's no problem, but from a standing start nothing moves. So I grabbed a wooden box thing (I suspect it's used to prop an empty bar on but not a clue really) and did some lowering down from the top on chin and pull (chin down and pull down I guess you'd call them!). They will be mine, I say! {insert fluffy cat to stroke and evil laugh}.

If there had been someone there other than the owner's dad (having a nap!) and the girl on reception I'd have asked about using the prowler. Next time..
    All in all quite frustrating. The first time I haven't squatted since I started lifting in March.

Eta I forgot the total failure that is my attempt to learn the power clean.. think I need to ask if they have a 15kg bar...
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration, Lydia. It sucks. But after a bit it'll get better or you'll suss out ways to work around the problems. But it's still annoying!:explode:
  • BJC78
    Options
    "A" today for me

Rows 65#
    Squats 55# felt more controlled
    Bench press 55#

Feeling good ????
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Wendler Bench day, week 2 (yesterday)
    1x3 @ 90
    1x3 @ 110
    1x3 @ 120

Flat dumbbell press 5x10 @30
    One arm dumbbell rows, 5x10 @ 30

Then some core stuff.

And then, 2.5 hours of raking wet leaves. I can't lift my arms today.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Omg my first week of SL it was hard to pee. Squatting down to the toilet required holding onto the sink and wincing in pain the whole way down and up.

I can totally relate to this.
  • rlw911
    Options
    Frustrating workout tonight. Hubby and I went about 5 p.m. and even though I wanted to go, I wasn't really feeling it. I was supposed to do 65 lbs on my squat, which I did fairly easily 1x5 at the end of my workout on Thursday. I barely managed 60 5x3, but I could tell my form sucked, so I finished off the last 2 sets at 55.

Bench press was supposed to be 55lbs and I knew it was gonna be tough, but my warmups felt good and I managed 2x3 at 50, so I thought I could do it. Nope, didn't happen. 55 lbs x3,5,4,3,4. I asked DH to come spot me on a couple and as soon as I look like I'm having a hard time lifting the bar, he touches it and it's all over. I lose my concentration and there's no way I can finish the lift. Next time he "helps" me, I'm gonna have to be clear on how much help I want. Then he was ready to leave, so I didn't do any rows.

I know everyone has a bad workout now and then, but I was trying to figure out why I sucked so bad tonight. I know I ate pretty crappy yesterday, but then I remembered I was also on my feet and working hard for 6 solid hours yesterday. Our fire department has a food and toy drive every year and yesterday was our pick-up day. The guys go through the neighborhoods picking up donations and then bring them to our warehouse for sorting. So, all day I was loading bags of groceries into carts and then unloading them onto the floor. I guess that counts as a pretty good workout and it obviously took more out of me than I thought. I know my feet were throbbing at the end of the day!

DH is planning on going to the gym tomorrow and I was considering going with him to at least do the rows I didn't do tonight and maybe a few accessory workouts. Do you guys think that would be a good idea or should I just rest another day?
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    :laugh: oops, responded in the wrong place...

Here we go...

Not sure if there is a "right" answer, but after a crappy workout, rest helps me more for the next full-on lifting day, especially if that would be the next day and you'd be skipping a rest day. I am bothered by an "incomplete" workout too, but in the end - big picture - it probably doesn't matter (at least for me).

Probably do what you feel. If it isn't the right thing for you, you will know it for next time (I had several times where I didn't get to finish a workout for various reasons). :happy:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    how frustrating. if it helps.. the instructions I give a spotter on bench are:

Please help me with lift off.
    Then step away, no hovering hands, unless:
    a) the bar stops moving up AND STARTS MOVING BACK DOWN
    b) I ask you to.
    When I finish my set please help me rack it.

And that is it.

A growled 'no' can help hovering 'helpful' hands..
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My left leg was sore this morning. I think I need to roll it. I also realized I can't do simple math in the morning. I meant do load up 75lbs for my squat but managed to add 85lbs! LOL. I normally don't add 10lbs each lifting session. I typically add 5 either each session or every other depending. I did 75lb last week soo.. I did get all 5x5 in though! whee!

I am going to have my trainer watch my form Wed and tell me if I need to go down in weight to work on form or what. I still feel I am not getting low enough. We will see what she says.

Squat 85lbs
    Row 70lbs
    Bench 75lbs

I also don't like my Row. I think I will alternate my row with inverted row to keep me on my toes.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Tree, that is outstanding considering you have just started back after a break!

Cruisin scrap, I would rest tomorrow - let your body recover somewhat and then maybe have a retry next time at the whole lot. 1 set of rows missed is not the end of the world.

Re spotters, I never have one and have never used one but I think it sounds like they are a double edged sword. I just made sure I was happy with the weight I was at before I increased any. Probably don't push hard enough as a result but it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Vendygirl woohoo for those sort of mistakes lol. I could not get my head around Pendlay rows either. I just stuck with barbell rows instead. Hope your form check goes well

Good news about the Physio Lydia, the sooner you are sorted the better. It's too easy to ignore the little niggles and end up out of action for ages as a result!

For me, still playing at Stong Curves, I had the notion on doing goblet squats today instead of bodyweight. Soon changed my mind after my 3x20 bodyweight glute bridges. Man I was feeling my butt! So I stuck with the program and did supersets of
    3 x 20 glutebridges @ bodyweight and 10 1 arm dumbell rows at 10kg
    3 x 20squats @ bodyweight and 10 dumbell bench press with 10kg dumbells
    2 x 10 romanian deadlifts with dumbells at 16kg and 1 x 8. I found my left hand grip struggling a little by the end. The idea at this stage is muscle memory to nail form so perhaps I should consider less weight but I figure that while I can manage it I should do it!
    Then leg raises and front and side planks.

And then I played on the foam roller :D

It certainly thorough and I am feeling it for sure in my abs and my butt at the moment!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has a bad workout now and then, but I was trying to figure out why I sucked so bad tonight. I know I ate pretty crappy yesterday, but then I remembered I was also on my feet and working hard for 6 solid hours yesterday. Our fire department has a food and toy drive every year and yesterday was our pick-up day. The guys go through the neighborhoods picking up donations and then bring them to our warehouse for sorting. So, all day I was loading bags of groceries into carts and then unloading them onto the floor. I guess that counts as a pretty good workout and it obviously took more out of me than I thought. I know my feet were throbbing at the end of the day!

The squat seminar I went to mentioned this. The guy talking said that the problem with linear progression programs is they don't take into account how you feel that day. Maybe you didn't eat well, sleep well, busy day at work, etc etc. your workout is going to suffer. I think women tend to beat themselves up a little more when things aren't progressing "like they should". I'm glad you were able to pinpoint your reason (it helps). When I was in college, the local fire station had Turkey Bingo around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and St. Patrick's day. You could win a turkey, chicken, or ham and all their profits went to the local food bank. It was a lot of fun. :smile:
  • rlw911
    Options
    how frustrating. if it helps.. the instructions I give a spotter on bench are:

Please help me with lift off.
    Then step away, no hovering hands, unless:
    a) the bar stops moving up AND STARTS MOVING BACK DOWN
    b) I ask you to.
    When I finish my set please help me rack it.

And that is it.

A growled 'no' can help hovering 'helpful' hands..

Thanks, Lydia. This is as new to DH as is it to me, so this advice will definitely help.

Chubby, thanks for the info. Last night was a reminder that not all workouts take place in the gym!

Roxy, good advice! I decided to rest today and redo the entire workout A. I'm just going to pretend it never happened. :smile:
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Squat 82 pounds
    Bench 68 pounds
    Row 65 pounds

Got some excellent form advice and spotting from a gentleman who is also doing SL5x5, and we had a great workout together, which was a pleasant surprise.

He suggested I put plates under my feet to be able to press through my heels instead of toes while bench pressing, and it made a huge difference. I'm a shorty, so I guess I need those cheats.