Week 1 Chat (20-26 January)

Options

Replies

• SerenityNow76
    SerenityNow76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm feeling really good about this challenge. I think I have made some attainable goals and find motivation so much easier to maintain when conversing with a group of like minded people, so thanks Skim. This challenge has come at a good time for me. Over the coming weeks there will be some big changes to my lifestyle so I will be turning to you all for support. I have been a stay at home mum for 8 years. For the last five years I have been studying and finished my Bachelor of Nursing last year. I start a full time grad program at my local hospital on the 3rd of Feb. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I am mostly worried about juggling the kids since my husband and I will both be shift workers. I think working will be good for my health and fitness as I'll be on my feet most of my shift. I'm expecting the transition to be tough on my family.

Anyway goodluck everyone!
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The cat now has a name - Claude (or Claudette). Thanks for the suggestion Skim. Lets hope I don't get clawed during the taming process.

Haha Helen, well done on taking Claude on board lol - beware tho, the last cat we tried to make friends with has truly adopted us, and has pretty much taken over our house. This has also pushed me scarily close to 'crazy cat lady' status, as it brings my cat total up to three - and they are not very impressed with the new lodger either, for the record, and have let me know it. We named our stray Chrissy, as she adopted us around Christmastime (and we didn't feel hobocat, as we had been calling her, was a proper name - although my daughter's friend was very disappointed we changed it lol).

Goal wise, my goals at the moment are pretty simple:
    1. To make sure I am drinking enough water, as I find the days I am over on calories, I almost always haven't drunk enough water.
    2. To make sure I do at least half an hour of some kind of activity every day. I need to get more consistent with exercise, as this has been a sketchy area for me.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input and ideas and making it a great challenge to start off an even greater year!
    Take care everyone
    :laugh:
  • candirose69
    Options
    hey everyone, wow I missed so much in my eight hour work day already! heh heh

My husband and I are crazy cat people, we have 2 currently but the plan is to get an outdoor enclosure so we can have four lol looking forward to getting to know everyone here !!!!

As for me, day from hell, very very close to having a very large glass of Kahlua!! going to the gym to do pump though so hopefully that relieves some of it :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm feeling really good about this challenge. I think I have made some attainable goals and find motivation so much easier to maintain when conversing with a group of like minded people, so thanks Skim. This challenge has come at a good time for me. Over the coming weeks there will be some big changes to my lifestyle so I will be turning to you all for support. I have been a stay at home mum for 8 years. For the last five years I have been studying and finished my Bachelor of Nursing last year. I start a full time grad program at my local hospital on the 3rd of Feb. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I am mostly worried about juggling the kids since my husband and I will both be shift workers. I think working will be good for my health and fitness as I'll be on my feet most of my shift. I'm expecting the transition to be tough on my family.

Sounds pretty full on. I think the secret is going to be forward planning and making sure that you have a Plan B in case things go pear shaped. But it's certainly do-able and going to give you some new meaning and focus in life. Good luck!
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to start the challenge this morning. I got up for an early bird C25K run. later in the day I headed out to the beach. I went for a short 15min bush walk then headed down to the beach for a swim. I slipped on some rocks and cut both my feet up on some oysters. Pooh! I feel like such a clutz.
    Not the best start for a challenge. There goes my walk for the day.I will try for a walk tomorrow, I just hope they heal up quick. I might just have a slow start to this challenge.
  • Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was so excited to start the challenge this morning. I got up for an early bird C25K run. later in the day I headed out to the beach. I went for a short 15min bush walk then headed down to the beach for a swim. I slipped on some rocks and cut both my feet up on some oysters. Pooh! I feel like such a clutz.
    Not the best start for a challenge. There goes my walk for the day.I will try for a walk tomorrow, I just hope they heal up quick. I might just have a slow start to this challenge.

Poor thing - hope your feet get better and very soon!! Reminds me of my husband - on the first day of his running program (he decided to start running to lose weight) he ended up spraining his ankle and had to stop. Once he was healed he was back up and determined as ever, now he's really into running and does it more than I do!!!
    Biggest loser starts in 10 mins (their first weigh-in) I'm going to get comfy on the couch and wait for it to start :smile:
  • candirose69
    Options

Be warned that while you are on your feet a lot the average nurses main meals seem to consist of cake and cookies! heh heh and boxes of chocolate brought in by families! my twin is a div one and really struggles with some shifts.
    Where will you be working, as I said my sis is a nurse down here in west melbourne.
  • DeeBee042
    DeeBee042 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Ouch :sad: I hope you are not too sore :)
  • EGirl7
    EGirl7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here watching The Biggest Loser and crying like a baby. I think they're all so amazing and so brave...I know not everyone's a fan of the show, but to even CONSIDER undertaking something like this is just incredible.

I just look at them all and I remember how I felt 25 kilos heavier and that they can even function just astonishes me, not to mention how shattered their self-esteem must be. They won't know themselves when they start losing weight, let alone at the end!

I too have had terrible bloating (what's going on?!) and stomach pains (yeah, I'll say it...gas) the last few days. I wonder if it might be because I've started having All-Bran for breakfast? I LOVE All-Bran (I'd snack on it if I could!), so I hope this doesn't last. I can never get my Shredded Wheat on special!

After being exhausted the last couple of days (post-heatwave), I got myself organised today and went to the gym and then to the pool. I wore my new prescription goggles and it was so nice to be able to see! I had looked up some exercises to do in the pool, so I tried a few of those. The side-of-pool push-ups were hard. But I gave it a crack. :-)

Feeling good. Only Day One, though... ;-)

Em.
  • SerenityNow76
    SerenityNow76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Candi, I hope your gym session did the trick and you're feeling less stressed. And yes I know that starting work will mean I might have to exercise self control with the cakes and chocs. I was pretty good during my placements. My husband has been a shift worker for 12ish years and we always make extra meals when we are cooking so that he has regular food at work. We did this for me too during my placements and it worked well. I am in the Hunter Valley and I am a Div1 or Registered Nurse too.

Bird, that's so frustrating. I hope your feet heal quickly.

Skim, I hope your belly settles down soon. I have a few good friends who I can call on to help us out. I have a calender on which I'll write all of our shifts and meal plan too. Luckily my husband is a good cook and as hands on as I am with the kids.

BTW Claude is a great name!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So glad to have joined the challenge. Had a busy weekend as well, with a few social things to go to however all in all did pretty well and lost 200grams this morning, so pretty happy with that.

Currently I'm up to week 4 of the Hal Higdon training program for a half marathon so I'll be sticking to this over the challenge. It's working well as I've got a set program to stick too.

My biggest challenge is sugar in sweets after dinner so this is what I'm aiming to reduce this week.

Also think Claude will make a great mascot.
  • Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here watching The Biggest Loser and crying like a baby. I think they're all so amazing and so brave...I know not everyone's a fan of the show, but to even CONSIDER undertaking something like this is just incredible.

I just look at them all and I remember how I felt 25 kilos heavier and that they can even function just astonishes me, not to mention how shattered their self-esteem must be. They won't know themselves when they start losing weight, let alone at the end!
    Em.

I'm with you Em!!

Day 1 is over for me!! Hooray!! Off to bed and fingers crossed for a full night's sleep (unlike the last few nights!!)
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Day 1 is almost over and I'm yet to go to the gym for my strength training session - I'm on late shift this week where I'll work from 3pm until about midnight Monday - Thursday, then Friday will be a normal half day finishing around midday. Today, according to the Jamie Eason Life Fit program I'm currently following is leg day - I'm scared because leg day ALWAYS hurts.

I'm not sure I've eaten enough today, but after an indulgent weekend primarily on booze, I haven't felt like eating much at all (diary is open if you'd like to look).

Looking forward to work being over, gym being done and sleeping in my comfy bed :D
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I managed to keep my calories reasonable for the weekend, but had a lot of junk-y food, not healthy...and my sodium was too high (par for the course with junk food) so I feel kinda yucky today!

Claude must be in my subconscious...I dreamed last night that there was an abandoned litter of seven kittens in my yard! :heart:

I ***LOVE*** kitties but can't have them because my husband is VERY allergic to them... :sad:

So, when you can get close enough, give Claude a kiss from me! :smooched:
  • sweetysmum
    sweetysmum Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Another one that was watching the Biggest Loser and cry, knowing what they feel like. I must stick to this so in 12 months time when it airs again I will not feel like that. First day done, and I had a great day, managed a class and a gym session. I don't know how I am going to keep up with this thread :wink:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Ricki-Lee I am so sorry to read that about your feet!!! Hopefully they will heal really soon, I can't imagine how painful that must be for you. Ouch!!

Em, I watched Biggest Loser too and was almost bawling. At my heaviest weight I was 104kg and it's not pretty. Even 15 months ago, when I was 92kg I remember that I couldn't tie my sandshoes easily. My feet hurt ALL THE TIME, I couldn't wear high heels at all, there's no way my feet could carry me around all the time without being in agony. Not to mention clothes... Add to that the self-loathing that I had, but still couldn't stop over eating.

I looked at and listened to those people last night and my heart went out to them. They all seemed so lovely, and it was just heartbreaking to watch.

The thing that I don't like about the show is that the trainers push the contestants SO hard, I worry they are going to all have heart attacks! And we don't get to see much about the nutrition side of things, although I hear that they are on 1200-1500 calorie diets (OMG, for that size?) but I suppose it is a competition...

I love watching Commando - he does have nice blue eyes, but holy cow, what a body!! I'm usually looking at him from the neck down. (yes, yes, I know, I'm a pervert).

I slept in this morning, not sure what happened there. I was sure I turned my phone/alarm on last night. So unfortunately I have missed my leg/shoulder day. Bummer, because that's my favourite day of the week. Never mind, I'll still get my 10,000 steps in and will still have 3 x weight training days this week, plus I'm seeing my PT on Saturday for a conditioning session so I'm not concerned about missing one day training.

Hope everyone has a great day!!! Remember to read your goals and affirmations and make little steps today to achieve your goals for this week.

What is the one thing that you are going to IMPROVE on today?

I am going to drink 2 litres of water and stick to my food plan for the day (already logged my diary last night). My stomach is feeling better today, but I'm still aware that I ate and drank WAY too much on the weekend so am keeping my calories a bit lower for the next couple of days. I need to stay away from wheat, no matter how good bread smells!!

Oh and Em, it could be the bran...
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that we have adopted Claude as our mascot! Helen you should try to take a pic of him/her so we all can see. :)

I've always marvelled at the bravery of people who go on the biggest loser, I recall watching it years ago while fat and thinking out loud to my husband there is no way I could do that! I'm flat out walking up our hill! I hadn't discovered mfp back then, that wasn't until I got my first smart phone, and I was looking for apps to use on it, found mfp thought it would be interesting to track what I ate in a week or so and wow what a difference calorie counting has made to me! I can not only walk up that hill, I can jog up it, Twice :))

I wish the contestants the best of luck and I hope Mary can hang in there for tonight's episode, I'd hate to see her sent home before she has even begun.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, hope you all had a good nights rest.

Have been for my morning run and had my best time. 5.36km in 33.5min

Taking kids and their cousins to the national park today so should be able to get in a few extra steps there.

Probably won't be watching much of the biggest loser this time around as I've stopped watching a lot of tv at night, trying so hard to cut out the after dinner eating and in front of the tv as my biggest issue :sad:

Ricki-lee hope your feet are a bit better today.

Mungo hope your son has a better day today as well.

Have a great day everyone. :wink:
  • candirose69
    Options
    Morning all!

I did resist the booze last night and am feleing much better after strength last night and a run this moring.

Although I am cross at ymself for forgetting to put my fit bit on! so my goal for today will be 5-6000 steps as I know I would have done 4-5000 wiht my run this morning :)

Cant wait to get hom from work tonight and catch up on what every one has been doing!
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in to say that I'm here and cheering you all on, even if I don't have time to contribute much to this thread. I'll also have to vicariously watch the Biggest Loser through you, since I've just moved back in with my Mum to save money for travel (long story) and she and her partner are rabidly-anti TBL, so without a working tv of my own and I can't watch it!

33 years old and back to only watching what I'm allowed to on TV. Jeez Louise...
This discussion has been closed.