What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• katsdragon2008
    katsdragon2008 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm bored or stressed. Also when I'm tired or rushed I dont overeat but I eat quick things that usually end up being bad for me. I really need to stop reponding to stress with food but its soooooo comforting sometimes. :flowerforyou:
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Boredom
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    Anxiety, stress, and loneliness are the main reasons I overeat. I don't do to bad most of the time at large social gatherings. I overeat more often when I am alone. I'm getting better at identifying why I am eating if hunger is not the reason. That said I still have occurrences of binge eating. I'm trying to widen my range of coping strategies, and I am actively working towards not using food to cope with life.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm bored, when I'm stressed (translation: my job and much of my home life), when I'm depressed and when I allow myself to become physically over-hungry. I binge when I'm happy (hey, we have to celebrate, right?), when I'm around food, when I see a TV commercial for a food that I like, when I smell food that I like cooking, when someone mentions a food that I like. I may not even end up bingeing on the food I've seen/smelled/heard of. When I'm in a restaurant. The portions are insanely large and even though I know that I will end up in pain afterwards, I feel the need or challenge to finish the whole thing! I've tried ordering a "to-go box" with the meal but for some reason, wait staff tend to want to wait until the end of the meal before they bring the box even if I stress I want it at the same time. Passing by certain fast food restaurants.

It's actually easier to tell you what DOESN'T trigger me to overeat. Becoming engrossed in my hobbies, meditation, posting on MFP, working out, and playing with my grandsons, or 5 dogs and 4 cats.
  • mekkzy888
    mekkzy888 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm watching TV/a movie/YouTube videos/reading a book because I don't like just sitting doing nothing with my hands. When I'm eating and watching/reading something else I'm not paying attention so I finish everything without feeling like I had anything at all and often go to get more because I don't feel full. If I'm not chewing or singing I end up biting my lip and my nails to pieces, which is why I am glad chewing gum exists.
  • cuppycat
    cuppycat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

Nailed it........
  • saraiyu
    Options
    I overeat when I'm stressed, bored, with friends, really depressed :/
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Stress... been eating crappy crappy foot for about a week while I got the courage and the timing right to end a relationship. It is officially over so tonight after work I am going to do some RETAIL THERAPY at SAMS CLUB and get some healthy food and things to support a new eating regime. Need some structure post break up.. so I am doing Chris Powell's Crab Cycling for a bit.. just til I get my emotions back in check... Also Woudl love to see the plateau I am not blow up in a good way!
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Loosing my job in October 2013. I am going to the gym more since I have more time and watching what I eat.
  • GMStb10
    GMStb10 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm helen and new to mfp. I hate my weight but crave sugar, bread, crisps and chocolate all the time. I emotional eat when I feel things are out of control, then my eating matches the feeling- totally out of control. Hoping support will give me the boost to control my eating.
  • siouxsie3278
    siouxsie3278 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat for control. I have no idea how this makes any sense, but that's what I do. When the 4 year old starts getting lippy, and acting crazy, I feel better after I eat something and it seems I can control the situation better. When the baby cries all night, it seems I can handle it better after a handful of Reese's. It seems I can think clearer after I fill my face. Does anyone else do this??? This is what my food addiction has told me for years and the same food addiction has told me I will never be a healthy weight. I know my addiction is a liar but I still hear it talking.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    I eat for control. I have no idea how this makes any sense, but that's what I do. When the 4 year old starts getting lippy, and acting crazy, I feel better after I eat something and it seems I can control the situation better. When the baby cries all night, it seems I can handle it better after a handful of Reese's. It seems I can think clearer after I fill my face. Does anyone else do this??? This is what my food addiction has told me for years and the same food addiction has told me I will never be a healthy weight. I know my addiction is a liar but I still hear it talking.

Oh, yes, I understand and have done the same thing. The day gets crazy, I head for the chocolate. Or the crunchy things. What i've tried to do is find alternatives--instead of chips, crunchy low sugar cereal (like Puffins or Chex). Instead of a bunch of chocolate I mix a little chocolate syrup into plain greek yogurt--surprisingly good!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING all the TIME!!
  • riahonfire
    Options
    boredom..and the thing is I get bored veryyy easily
  • soosusu88
    Options
    I saw pictures of myself from a wedding I went to a couple months ago... I had worked so hard to loose weight for the occasion and succeeded a little and since have regained it all back. If that's how I looked after loosing some weight, then what can I say about myself now? So.... I spent all day overeating! It doesn't make sense, but that IS emotional eating!
  • Darkefairie
    Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely stress for me but also if i am unhappy. i try so hard not to but regularly fall back into it! but each day i start anew hoping i have the strength and willpower to stick with my plan!!
  • cathylaine712
    Options
    A few of my triggers are boredom or feeling overwhelmed thinking of all that I need to do. Which then leads to procrastination...it's all a slippery (downward!) slope. :( People who don't deal w/ this have no idea how strong emotional eating can be. Best of luck to all!
  • tobigformyclothes
    Options
    I think I am lonely and I hunt for something to cook and eat 24 hours a day I eat myself out of house and home (as the old saying goes) I got to stop I am all ready a diabetic and have heart disease and a touch of kidney disease. I cannot get into my clothes anymore I have got up to 203.5 pounds, I feel SO ashamed. And that makes my eating worse.I eat until I get full then I reckon I eat to fill my nerves up too LOL. Excuses, excuses, excuses, that's me
  • babansonia
    babansonia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In this country, food is an affordable luxury. Think of other affordable luxuries...cars, alcohol, extravagant spendin (shoes, handbags etc) ...too much of any of them is a feeling of addiction. Pleasure for the moment--deep immediate satisfaction which lasts about one minute or so and then the regrets and lows which seem to only be satisfied by more of the luxury. A drug addiction can be described the same way. Food is difficult because you can quit drugs cold turkey and remove any sign from your life but food is required by our bodies. The challenge lies in self control of the feel good food.I am an emotional eater. Part of my downfall is "rewarding" myself. I had a bad day so I deserve it, I had a good day so I deserve it, I am traveling so I deserve it, I am sad so I deserve it, I am with family so I deserve it, I worked out so I deserve it, I lost weight---I deserve it !!??....this entitlement feeling has me at the weight I am at. I recently took a class at my church called "take back your temple" it has many things that did strike a chord with me. I have lost 8 lbs (give or take) in a bout 3 weeks and holding steady. I think the thing to keep in mind is that you wont be changing your ways for a few months, lose some weight and then back to what you are currently doing----the truth is that whatever is working, you will have to continue forever for improvement so choose things that you can live with. If you cant live with rice cakes and protien shakes...imaging doing what you are doing at age 80----then dont do those things. If you see your self at 80 taking walks, eating friuts and veggies and laughing a lot --then that may be your recipe for longterm success. We are all EXPERTS---all of us know exactly what to do-what is good what is bad etc etc. There is information surrounding us. We could have a PhD in nutrition but it is our habits that are the downfall. Food is simply an addiction and I have asked God to take His temple back. Weak moments? Of course! I am afterall a human. Am I going to give up again? ....Not this time....not this time!
  • getmysexybodyback
    Options
    For me, the hardest part is when I am feeling bad about myself I turn to food. This happens a lot when I am criticized by others, and especially if I made a mistake - at work is the worst, but it could even be something I wish I did differently in my personal life. I don't know how to appropriately respond without food. I also use food as a coping mechanism to deal with difficult big work projects, I do a little bit, and have something to eat...do a little more, and eat a little more, etc. rewarding myself at "break points." I need to find something else instead!

I just wanted to comment to babansonia that I LOVE that phrase "take back your temple" and as I am an artist, I really feel inspired to do a painting based on this concept. I immediately went and searched for a bunch of images of historical and fantasy temples, and made one my desktop image, with the words "TAKE BACK YOUR TEMPLE" inscribed on it to remind me of what I am really fighting for - my spirit's own sacred vessel, that deserves to be loved and treated well. So thank you so, so much for this beautiful piece of inspiration!!! I would even love to start a thread with that title!