Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group. This is a great thread; thank you so much for all the information! I am 4 lbs from my weight loss goal and really wanting to focus on strength training/building muscle.
    Hi!
    If you don't mind saying, how tall are you and how much do you weigh. I do not usually see females calculating out to much less than 100g, which is why I was surprised by the number.

I have a question about this. I've been curious about my BF% for a while (but not sure if I'm brave enough to post pics for an estimate ;)). I'm a 37 y/o female, 5'7" and 132 lbs. I would say I have a small frame and not a lot of muscle; I've been running 3-4x/wk for the past year (~30 mins) and done strength training sporadically the past 4-5 months. After recent weight loss (hadn't really weighed below 139 since I was 21), my arms and legs (other than upper thighs) are fairly slim but I still have a significant belly. Not sure how much of that is fat versus the lingering effects of carrying twins full-term (they just turned 5) and a weak core. My Tanita scale says my body fat percentage is around 30-31% which would make my LBM only 91 lbs. Do you think that is possible? If my LBM is likely at least 100 lbs, my BF% would be closer to 24%, which would be a lot more encouraging. :)

bump
    I did also PM you both a link to pics I took for your body fat % estimation if it would be better to look at those and give me a less general answer. Would love your input on both or either when you get a chance.
    Thanks, Sara and SideSteel!

Hi! Sorry about the delay - I will get back to you re BF estimate this weekend.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thank you for the detailed information on setting macro targets- particularly the reasoning behind it. It's very interesting!

Here's a question for you folks- what are your macro recommendations for those of us on protein-restricted diets? I have kidney issues, and when I asked my doctor about intake, he recommend I not eat more than 0.8 g/kg of protein daily (about 80 grams/day at my current weight). Any recommendations on how to split carbs and fat up among the remaining calories?

Thanks!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hey! Thank you for the detailed information on setting macro targets- particularly the reasoning behind it. It's very interesting!

Here's a question for you folks- what are your macro recommendations for those of us on protein-restricted diets? I have kidney issues, and when I asked my doctor about intake, he recommend I not eat more than 0.8 g/kg of protein daily (about 80 grams/day at my current weight). Any recommendations on how to split carbs and fat up among the remaining calories?

Thanks!

It would depend on why protein is restricted (i.e. any health reasons why any other macro needs to be restricted), but generally, you should go for carbs as they are muscle sparing to the extent that you do not want to use protein for energy (which it will do via a process called gluconeogenesis) - so having more carbs mitigates the need to use protein for energy so it can be used for muscle repair. Its not as efficient as using protein directly, but it will mitigate the risk. Another way to mitigate the risk is to keep your deficit on the lower side.

So, in short - set your protein to what is suggested by your doctor, set your fats as minimum - but the balance, try to fill with carbs more than fats.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Thanks!

It would depend on why protein is restricted (i.e. any health reasons why any other macro needs to be restricted), but generally, you should go for carbs as they are muscle sparing to the extent that you do not want to use protein for energy (which it will do via a process called gluconeogenesis) - so having more carbs mitigates the need to use protein for energy so it can be used for muscle repair. Its not as efficient as using protein directly, but it will mitigate the risk. Another way to mitigate the risk is to keep your deficit on the lower side.

So, in short - set your protein to what is suggested by your doctor, set your fats as minimum - but the balance, try to fill with carbs more than fats.

Ahh, that's good to know. Thank you!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ironbutterfly_
    Options
    Bump
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Best Article I have read on MFP!
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    She certainly is an inspiration! Much of this information, and particularly the abbreviations, are new to me. I'm 53 weigh 235. I have lots of muscle under my fat and am built like a peasant. I walk 2.6 miles day and climb 20 stairs to public transit burning 1876 calories weekly. Now that I'm dieting, I'm not hungry and typically eat 1,200 calories. I don't understand how these figures impact each other or what they are supposed to tell me.

Based on Sarah's figures, these are my estimates for me, right?
    :
    Protein: 1 x 235 CW x .55 (LBM) = 129g x 4 calories = 517 calories dividied by 2050 (calories target) =25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 235 = 82.25g x 9 calories =740.25 calories divided by 2050= 36%
    Carbs: balance of 39%
  • eia2088
    eia2088 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful I found this forum. Following the OP's TDEE and Macro calculations, I got:

TDEE: 1700cals/day
    My current weight is 103lbs.
    I workout 2 to 3x a week (HIIT and weights), but I just started 2 months ago, and I lost 5lbs then. I eat clean like 80% of the time. I make sure I get enough Protein, and monitor my carbs. I set MFP to 1200 cals a day but I dont stress myself if I go over a few. I also eat my exercise back. Problem is I don't know my body fat percentage. I have a small frame (5'1" and 25 yrs old), a lot of people's telling me that I'm too skinny but I still have fats around my thighs, arms and most specially my mid section. If it would help, leggings from Abercrombie kids would fit me(probably the largest size) and for adult size I usually get size 2 for jeans and XS for tops. I have seen some gains since I started lifting weights, I'm more toned now (but i want more lean gains so I dont look like Im a 25 yr old girl locked in a body of a 16 yr old) and I'm aiming to work on my abs. I do have "morning abs" most of the time (when I eat healthier) but it disappears after my first heavy meal, so I think I still have to lower my BF%.

My questions are:
    -Should I still do caloric deficit so I can lower my BF%? I'm scared I'll be too skinny and also, I've read that trying to gain muscles while in a caloric deficit isn't such a good idea. Im scared to go caloric surplus to get more lean gains but I am thinking about doing a maintenance.
    -do i still lose BF% in my mid section if I do caloric maintenance and works out like 3x a week?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I joined this group just to be able to say thank you. I used your formula for calculating my TDEE using my tracking. It was within 3 calories of what IIFYM gives me when I use theirs. My deficit is giving almost exactly the weight loss that the figures are showing that I should lose.

I set my goals based on what I thought my body was telling me...I just didn't know if I was accurate or not...until I did all that calculations.

Thanks again...it was a bit of inspiration that I am on the right track.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have no idea on really settng or understanding some of this but I have been told more than a few times and it seems to help to up my protein to 100 grams or more a day and I found myself sluggish the day after strength training and instead of waitng til I got home to eat I have changed it up and am now drinking protein shake as I leave gym and it has helped The whys I do not understand completely and this is making me realize there is a lot more to nutrients and balance that I am totally clueless on. It makes it harder that I still have a problem and do not feel hunger on a consistant basis so I really have to rely on MFP and alarm on phone to remind mme to keep eating. So why is upping protein that much so important for me and I can feel it helping?
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Do wish I had found this group earlier but its never too late

So from these calculations, using my total body weight of 181 lbs and approximately 26% BF my macros should be:

Protein: 1 x 181 CW x .74 (LBM) = 134g x 4 calories = 536 calories dividied by 1700 (calories target) =31% (rounded to 30%)
    Fat: 0.35 x 181 = 63.35g x 9 calories =570 calories divided by 1700 = 34% (rounded to 35%)
    Carbs: balance of 35%

So set the macro's to 35/30/35 and see how I get on

As a plus this looks like it will enable a higher cheese ratio on a given day :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    She certainly is an inspiration! Much of this information, and particularly the abbreviations, are new to me. I'm 53 weigh 235. I have lots of muscle under my fat and am built like a peasant. I walk 2.6 miles day and climb 20 stairs to public transit burning 1876 calories weekly. Now that I'm dieting, I'm not hungry and typically eat 1,200 calories. I don't understand how these figures impact each other or what they are supposed to tell me.

Based on Sarah's figures, these are my estimates for me, right?
    :
    Protein: 1 x 235 CW x .55 (LBM) = 129g x 4 calories = 517 calories dividied by 2050 (calories target) =25%
    Fat: 0.35 x 235 = 82.25g x 9 calories =740.25 calories divided by 2050= 36%
    Carbs: balance of 39%

Sorry for the delay in responding. I need to check this thread more often. How much are you losing a week on the 1,200 calories?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am so grateful I found this forum. Following the OP's TDEE and Macro calculations, I got:

TDEE: 1700cals/day
    My current weight is 103lbs.
    I workout 2 to 3x a week (HIIT and weights), but I just started 2 months ago, and I lost 5lbs then. I eat clean like 80% of the time. I make sure I get enough Protein, and monitor my carbs. I set MFP to 1200 cals a day but I dont stress myself if I go over a few. I also eat my exercise back. Problem is I don't know my body fat percentage. I have a small frame (5'1" and 25 yrs old), a lot of people's telling me that I'm too skinny but I still have fats around my thighs, arms and most specially my mid section. If it would help, leggings from Abercrombie kids would fit me(probably the largest size) and for adult size I usually get size 2 for jeans and XS for tops. I have seen some gains since I started lifting weights, I'm more toned now (but i want more lean gains so I dont look like Im a 25 yr old girl locked in a body of a 16 yr old) and I'm aiming to work on my abs. I do have "morning abs" most of the time (when I eat healthier) but it disappears after my first heavy meal, so I think I still have to lower my BF%.

My questions are:
    -Should I still do caloric deficit so I can lower my BF%? I'm scared I'll be too skinny and also, I've read that trying to gain muscles while in a caloric deficit isn't such a good idea. Im scared to go caloric surplus to get more lean gains but I am thinking about doing a maintenance.
    -do i still lose BF% in my mid section if I do caloric maintenance and works out like 3x a week?

Couple of things.

- a lot of peoples abs kind of disappear towards the evening after they have eaten, I know mine do.(which is why my head is cut off half the time in my pics...I usually take pics first thing in the morning and nobody wants to see my face when I have just woken up!)

- if I were you I would eat at maintenance and recomp . It's slower than bulking, but you do not gain fat that way - you basically lose fat and gain muscle. Also, depending on how long you have been lifting for, you can make newb gains, so it may be quicker than people who have been lifting for longer.
  • aliciadub
    aliciadub Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have no idea on really settng or understanding some of this but I have been told more than a few times and it seems to help to up my protein to 100 grams or more a day and I found myself sluggish the day after strength training and instead of waitng til I got home to eat I have changed it up and am now drinking protein shake as I leave gym and it has helped The whys I do not understand completely and this is making me realize there is a lot more to nutrients and balance that I am totally clueless on. It makes it harder that I still have a problem and do not feel hunger on a consistant basis so I really have to rely on MFP and alarm on phone to remind mme to keep eating. So why is upping protein that much so important for me and I can feel it helping?

It may be that it helps your blood sugar levels. People reacts very differently re timing and macro mixes (not re weight loss, but re how they feel/energy levels).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Do wish I had found this group earlier but its never too late

So from these calculations, using my total body weight of 181 lbs and approximately 26% BF my macros should be:

Protein: 1 x 181 CW x .74 (LBM) = 134g x 4 calories = 536 calories dividied by 1700 (calories target) =31% (rounded to 30%)
    Fat: 0.35 x 181 = 63.35g x 9 calories =570 calories divided by 1700 = 34% (rounded to 35%)
    Carbs: balance of 35%

So set the macro's to 35/30/35 and see how I get on

As a plus this looks like it will enable a higher cheese ratio on a given day :-)

Is your calorie target including exercise calories or do you add that to it?