Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

Couldn't have said it any better than this.

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!
  • jomama519
    jomama519 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    let's see...peer pressure (not wanting to appear to be picking over food at work or social functions), the feeling of defeat (if i eat this i'm still going to weigh about the same as i do now tomorrow, so i may as well), being angry or sad and just wanting something "good," eating too quickly and not tasting my food or being mindful of the serving size, reading nutrition labels incorrectly and picking the wrong thing, mainly letting myself get too hungry. sometimes, if i wait too long to eat, i get so hungry that when i start, i can't stop eating (just one more bite), and then i end up stuffed and depressed...and often back in the cycle of overeating/binging since i already "ruined" my diet.
  • Tabata_Mt
    Tabata_Mt Posts: 10
    Options
    I exaggerate in food or when I'm stressed or when I allow my negativity take control of my mind. I always had the bad habit of thinking the worst of myself and used food as a way to not think about it.
  • ShyPar
    ShyPar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I never really had a problem with emotional eating until I came to college. I didn't want to be here so to cope I would have late night binges accompanied by lots of crying. (I ended up gaining 40 pounds in 4 months) But I'm not going back next year so hopefully I don't do this as much anymore.
  • MySkinnyMom
    MySkinnyMom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm bored, I eat when I'm not, I just love the taste of food and sadly enough, it's the carbs that have my undivided attention. Junk food and Carbs. If I didn't have those, I would be skinny.
  • rdvorak
    rdvorak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My overeating started after my mom passed. It was the only thing that made me feel better if only for a few moments.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think everything makes me overeat. Stress and depression and nervousness seem to be the biggest ones; so anything anxiety and depression related. Oh, and boredom!!
  • SusieCuteYay
    SusieCuteYay Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I noticed weigh in day became a trigger for me,, so ive stopped that part of it,,,
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's so good to have found this group and see I'm not alone.

I tend to overeat a lot but never thought about why I do it. Today, it became painfully clear to me that my two main triggers are boredom and anxiety. The boredom I can probably get rid of easily. Either indulge in something else that is fun or - even better - use the energy for something useful like a workout or even just a walk.

Now, the anxiety is way harder to deal with. Without trying to put the blame on anyone else, it is often caused by problems between me and other people. I'm not a very self-confident person as it is but if something happens between me and someone else, it really eats me up and drains my energy. Had a fight with a friend earlier today and here I am, eating chocolate. :(
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    I've never been someone who snacks or eats loads of sweets etc but I do over indulge in creamy based pasta, cheese oh and another favorite of mine is bread. Love a cheese toasted sandwich lol !! My weight loss journey will be filled with moments of craving these when I'm hungry and I need to learn to control them. What makes me over eat is not eating breakfast which makes me very hungry leading to over eating. Stress also contributes to it
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    stress and boredom.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oh and I used to reward myself with food when I accomplished something, like a treat.

My nutritionist told me : You're not a dog, you don't need to reward yourself with food.

It was a really low blow but it made me realize I can be better.
  • go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a guilty stress eater. If there is something bothering me whether I can control it or not I get to snacking. All my goals go out the window and the cravings take over.
  • go_getter89
    go_getter89 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow I use food as a reward when I reach a big goal. But you quoting your nutritionist really makes me rethink my mind frame around food as a treat.
  • deannastar
    deannastar Posts: 7
    Options
    I overheat when I feel overwhelmed or especially when "I deserve this" like after a bad day. It is almost always in the car, so it's basically hidden from the world.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm angry or depressed or anxious. It's almost like a relaxant. And now with the possibility of surgery looming before me, the fear of going back to binge eating is staring me straight in the face...
  • fr053n
    fr053n Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    When I'm angry with someone, I tend to overeat. It seems to calm me down for just a bit, though, then I get mad at myself! Thos are bad days. Also stress, not enough sleep, boredom.
  • nothanksimfull
    nothanksimfull Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Knowing that the goodies are there is so hard to not have them in case they get taken away next time.
  • StarTrippy
    StarTrippy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I get put down or yelled at. I always feel bad and then end up eating and feel worse. :ohwell:
  • Kelly62882
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

All of the above are the reasons I eat as well. With the exception of when I am really happy with everything that is going on in my life ( and those are very few and far between) in which I find I have too much going on and I eat next to nothing.