Tips & Tricks

Options

Replies

• red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The thing I don't hear talked about much is "RUNNING FORM". In the past 3 months I've almost totally changed from a slouched heel strike to a fw leaned midfoot. The result have been amazing in regards to aches & pains.

But I'm still working through leg extension. I've heard 2 theories:
    1-full extension behind you

2-short compact stride under you

Which works best for you?
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, I just started C25K (W1D1). I am really excited about it.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Found this on Woman's Running Magazine's website....

Great tips! Thank you!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The thing I don't hear talked about much is "RUNNING FORM". In the past 3 months I've almost totally changed from a slouched heel strike to a fw leaned midfoot. The result have been amazing in regards to aches & pains.

But I'm still working through leg extension. I've heard 2 theories:
    1-full extension behind you

2-short compact stride under you

Which works best for you?

I don't harp on form because most people seem to evolve this during the program. Also, nobody here is all that experienced.

In terms of leg extension...it's hard to explain. If you're angled forward with a good strike under you, your rear extension is almost lifting your leg from the ground rather than pushing against it. It's almost a wheel-like or cycling feeling. I usually start a run with a shorter compact stride and then open up later when everything comes together and I'm flying. I think it's whatever keeps my turnover up without over-exerting.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello All.. I have just started my C25K program. How do you guys do strength training?

Suppose you run on MWF, do you lift weights/cross train on Tuesdays and Thursdays? Pls share your ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. I do Pilates Monday, and weights Wednesday and Friday.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Stick to the simple rule of: above the neck keep going, below the neck take a day off (in regards to feeling under the weather).
  • spiffymacadamia
    spiffymacadamia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So, I'm a new runner but not that, new either. I had been running on and off for three weeks before I started the program. This week I ran 5 out of 7 days. I use the general training guide but I use Runtastic to actually guide me through the workout since I'm used to it and I like its GPS features. This week I repeated week 1, 4 times with a 5 min cool down and warm up and instead of 8 reps I did 10 (60 sec run 90 walk). This last run, in a total of 35:30 min I ran 2.6 mi. I would like to run 5 times per week with a break Wednesdays and Sundays. Does this seem unreasonable to anyone? Will I get injured. Thanks for your help! :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's best to follow the program as written. Two of the red flags for injury are being a new runner (under a year) and over training. I can't say that you'll get injured, but why risk it? You've got the rest of your life to run.
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump Bump Bumpity Bump
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Fantastic input over the course of almost two years!

This is a nice article:
    http://beta.active.com/articles/running/when-does-running-get-easier-for-beginners
  • rduhlir
    Options
  • wannabehotagain20
    Options
    I started at 300, and went down a few in short order. Just watch your knees, ankles, feet, etc. Remember how hard those limbs are working to keep you upright and take good care of them.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Running form, I always catch myself slouching. Shoulders back face ahead, it helps keep your lungs expanded.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    A gym trainer once gave me some awesome advice for running, which was to run Long, Light and Low. Take long strides, but not so long that you are having to land on your heel, keep your landing light (imagine you are running on thin ice), and don't lift your legs up really high between strides, but glide along just above the ground.

My problem a couple of years ago was that I was too rigid while running, with not enough movement in my hips, and (I think) that meant that my hip flexors rather than my butt muscles were doing all the work. If you can get to a local running group or get someone who knows what they're talking about to give you some posture tips it'll set you up well for when you want to increase the distance.
  • Junin
    Junin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am just starting out again after having my 2nd baby (week 1, day 2 done). When I did the program the first time, it worked really well, but during Week 7 I got an injury in my left leg. After a few weeks off, my physio told me strength straining was just was important, and then he gave me a simple plan of squats and lunges, that kind of thing. So squat squat squat :)
  • linnipopz
    linnipopz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad I found this group! I am just finishing week 1 of C25K. Really want to complete a 5K this year but no one wants to be my 5K buddy, looks like I will go it alone as I am determined!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Fueling
    Taken from Runner's World

Stay hydrated.
    Hydration is a big one with running. If you aren't properly hydrated it can cause issues with your running and recovery. But you don't want to down a whole lot of water the night before or the morning of, at that point it is too late and the water won't get to your muscles to be used properly. So that week before your race make sure you are hydrating very well.

No need to carb load.
    The practice of carb loading (increasing your intake of carbohydrate-heavy foods while cutting back on protein and fat in the days before a race) is geared for events of 90 minutes or longer. And even if you end up having to run/walk the 5K, you will be finished long before that 90 minute mark. A healthy prerace meal or snack will provide enough carbs to help you through your run. The only issue here really, is if you do a low carb diet. If you are one of those people, then try and hit a 40/30/30 macro adjustment a day or two before the race. That will help to make sure you have enough carbs in you to not bonk afterwards.

Eat a light prerace breakfast.
    Focus on a small breakfast or snack, about 200-300 calories tops. Something with a good amount of good carbs such as oatmeal or an english muffin with jelly or peanut butter. You don't want this to be too heavy, as if it is too much it can play with your GI and cause discomfort in the race.

Don’t forget the fluids.
    Be sure to wash down your prerace meal with plenty of fluids. Aim to consume 17 to 20 ounces of fluids two to three hours before the race, and another seven to 10 ounces 20 minutes before the race begins. It’s okay to have coffee, tea, or a sports drink if you regularly drink those fluids before your runs and they don’t upset your stomach. But if you have coffee or sports drinks make sure you keep it outside of the 60 minute window prior to race start, just to make sure you don't end up in the bathroom mid run.

Do not do anything new!
    If you didn't drink that sports drink during C25K, then don't drink it during the race. That goes for the same with food. Don't eat something new or exotic the night before. It might affect your race the next day. Same thing with eating. If you are used to not eat before your runs, then do the same thing race day and opt for the snack after your race.
  • lechesucio
    lechesucio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hellooo, I'm on Week 4, Day 3 after a bunch of repeats of Week 3, and my tips are:

-TRY the next week...I think it was all in my head that I couldn't do it. The 3 minute runs seemed really hard until they became the 'easy runs' for week 4. I did 5 min runs with no problem!! It was a mental block!

-Have a great playlist...I have two different ones on spotify for the slower pace and faster pace I run, depending on how i feel that day

-Hard to explain, but when running and my feet land on the ground, I let the pressure absorb into my hamstring rather than my foot/ankle, whatnot. It doesn't make me lose endurance as much.
  • Samfish9
    Samfish9 Posts: 4
    Options
    Get properly fitted for shoes. I did the first 4 weeks in old runners and the day after my knees would be killing me. Turns out I was overpronating, putting stress on my knees. Shoes corrected it.