May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Workout B for me this morning!
    Squats 5x5 130 lbs but I think I'm going to deload a bit to 125 for the rest of the week because my form wasn't great. Actually, form was ok, but didn't get low enough!
    OHP 5x5 50 lbs. The 5th rep was a bit tough all 5 sets, but I made it! If I fail at 55 lbs again, it's time for fractionals I think!
    Deadlift 1x5 145 lbs. Grip was getting kinda shaky and the lift felt very near my max weight, so it will be interesting to see how 155 goes (or not!) on Friday.
    Completed the day with some accessory lifts for my arms.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My workout last night:

Squats 5x5 80lbs. I love squats I really love them so far : )
    OHP 5x5 - 45lbs. - I had my form corrected while warming up and after that it was so much harder with just the bar so I went ahead and left it without weights and just worked on my form. I frikkin hate these so much!
    We didn't do deadlifts we worked on hip hinge exercises because our deadlift form was horrible. After we get those down we are going to restart with the deadlifts.

Cardio: 9 minutes on the elliptical : )
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh my, the twerking cat pretty much made my day. Love!

@Liza -- so jealous of the hike alone. I have this crazed idea that I should spend mother's day with my children and its rarely calm or relaxing that way.

@katro -- you enabler you. Those fractionals are now sitting in my cart just waiting for me to push the buy button. I don't need them yet, but I know I will soon!

@jc -- Have a lovely week in Puerto Rico. Tough job indeed!

For me today, 3 mile walk then --
    Squats 1x5 @ 45 lbs then 5x5 @ 55 lbs. I think I'm going to film my form next time if there's no one around.
    Bench 5x5 @ 50 lbs
    Rows 5x5 @ 40 lbs. This weight is way too light, may increase to 50 lbs next time.

Another new kid question -- what do y'all do between sets? Just sit/stand there? I stretch a bit, drink some water, filddle with my phone. I feel like I should be filling that time with something more productive.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know what you mean about the rest time! I do what you do, which wasn't too bad when I was at 90 second rest time, but now that I'm at 3 and sometimes 5 minutes, I feel like I'm slacking without doing something in between!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Oh my, the twerking cat pretty much made my day. Love!

@Liza -- so jealous of the hike alone. I have this crazed idea that I should spend mother's day with my children and its rarely calm or relaxing that way.

@katro -- you enabler you. Those fractionals are now sitting in my cart just waiting for me to push the buy button. I don't need them yet, but I know I will soon!

@jc -- Have a lovely week in Puerto Rico. Tough job indeed!

For me today, 3 mile walk then --
    Squats 1x5 @ 45 lbs then 5x5 @ 55 lbs. I think I'm going to film my form next time if there's no one around.
    Bench 5x5 @ 50 lbs
    Rows 5x5 @ 40 lbs. This weight is way too light, may increase to 50 lbs next time.

Another new kid question -- what do y'all do between sets? Just sit/stand there? I stretch a bit, drink some water, filddle with my phone. I feel like I should be filling that time with something more productive.

I just pace around, or I will get the next exercise figured out and bar loaded for it. I work out at home and have 2 bars.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I walk around to make sure I get more steps than katro111 :laugh:
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I set the timer on my phone.

If I don't have to reset the plates, I stand there and read a page or two of whatever book I'm in the middle of (currently reading _Creativity Inc_ by Ed Catmull -- recommended!). I avoid making eye contact with anyone waiting for the squat rack, because I'm not sharing. :laugh:
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

I set the timer on my phone.

I avoid making eye contact with anyone waiting for the squat rack, because I'm not sharing. :laugh:
    I stare off into space/at the wall, pace back and forth, or do accessory stuff like bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, etc. move muscles I'm not currently working on.
    @sbarella, don't make me increase my daily step goal to 12,000 just to spite you! :laugh: :tongue:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I'll typically hit mobility for a muscle group I'm not working much of, or am done using for that day. That way I don't have to spend 15/20 minutes stretching when I'm done, or later that day! Also, drinking water, setting up the bar for the next set, and focusing/visualizing. It's a bit of a mental game, after all :)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    On rest periods, I just sit and stare, or close my eyes and make all my to-do lists. I workout first thing in the morning, so it's time to just relax my brain before the storm of the day.

@Diane: I like the idea of bringing a book! I would probably avoid those pesky library fees if I could just finish them on time. I would just have to set the timer on my phone so I don't become too engrossed to finish my workout. :laugh:

@katro: omg, 12,000 steps? I barely break 9,500 most days. You definitely a shero :drinker:

Everyone's workouts are hyping me up for tomorrow's workout. Woo!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I play solitaire on my phone. I'm an old soul.

I had a long exhausting weekend and woke up really sore today so I took it easy.

Squats 5x5 45 lbs (told ya it was easy)
    Bench 5x5 45 lbs
    Skipped rows and did assisted pull ups
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I admire myself in the mirror in between sets :bigsmile: Just kidding, ok maybe I do sometimes, but it's mostly "Gah! I've got to get rid of that fit spilling over my sports bra" :laugh: Mostly, I watch whatever news is on the tv in there or I might watch what the guys are doing.

Saturday's workout consisted of 115 lb good mornings, 35 lb skull crushers and 15 minutes on the elliptical, forward and backward alternating. I hate the elliptical! I also did some assisted dips, pull ups and chin ups with 80 lbs. Those things are really hard, even with the assist! :ohwell:

Today's workout was cut short due to some time management issues I had.

Squats: 170 lbs 3x5. I'm with Stef on the squat weight from deloading. I can't believe I ever sqatted 180 lbs. These were pretty tough.
    Bench: 95 lbs 3x6 I'm supposed to be working with 105 lbs, but I've got a nagging pain in my right bicep and I'm going to nurse it a little more before I attempt heavier weights.
  • fourluvbugs
    Options
    @wolfsbane: You made me spit out my water! Pretty sure admiring myself in the mirror is not going on the list of possible time filling activities. laugh

@katro and sbarella: I adore my fitbit. Care for another friend? https://www.fitbit.com/user/29DFBC Don't make me stalk you. :P

@kroc: I don't even know what hitting mobility is. Will google.

@katro: ditto for accessory lifts.

@Diane: reading! of course! I'm getting my copy of starting strength tomorrow, so I'll have that with me next go round.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Glad to hear that I don't look like too much of an idiot doing what I'm doing currently. :P
  • fourluvbugs
    Options
    Wah! My cute smileys don't look at all like cute smileys. Now I'll have to google that, too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's Monday:grumble:

Me during rests doesn't count I workout at home..usually do this actually just type in what my workout is.

Today is workout A for me

Squats warmup 1x5 @ bar, 2x5 @ 65, 2x5@85 working weight @ 145 again...not pushing my leg and my form is off still going ATG at this weight...lean forward a bit sometimes...and if I don't go ATG my leg acts up so... gonna get strong form ATG before moving on. 5x5 on those today and I am staying here Wed again...but ready to move forward on Friday I believe.

Bench warmup 1x5@bar, 2x5@35, 2x5@ 65 working weight @ 123.5 due to failure last time on set 4/5 only 3 reps each of those sets. Extra padding today on the bench...:bigsmile: upped my rest between set 3/4 to 4.5min and 5mins between 4/5 5x5 on those tho...last rep wasn't pretty but eh it went up.

Rows no warmup working weight @ 123.5 as well...again due to failure last time...5x5 on those...last rep on set 4 was ugly but again eh it went up.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I skyped with my mom and she said she was having a beautiful mother's day since all the kids were out of the house :laugh: Granted, I've been gone for about 15 years now and my brother has been out of the house for at least 10. So the idea of being alone on mother's day isn't uncommon!

Today was Strong Curves A -

Superset 1:

Barbell Glute Bridges 3x20 @ 75 lbs
    Single-arm bent over DB rows 3x8 (each) @ 40 lbs

Superset 2:
    Box squats 3x5 @ 105 lbs
    incline DB bench press 3x8 @ 30 lbs

American Deadlifts 3x5 @ 115 lbs
    Cable standing abduction 1x20 @ 10 lbs - finally got all reps in with left leg without having to pause
    RKC plank 60 seconds
    Side plank 30 seconds each side

Got on the treadmill to run and my ankle was tweeking oddly so I only did a quarter mile. I think the run on Saturday stressed some of the tendons so I'm just going to let it have a break from running this week. Boxing starts back up tonight so it isn't like I'll be missing out on cardio.

Today I was also able to get my body fat % tested in a Bod Pod. I have a bio-impedance scale at home that I have been doing trend analysis with, but wanted to get a little more accurate of a reading just to see what the difference was. Turns out that I'm 3% lower than what my scale had said. Bod Pod put me at 25.3% BF with 100.7 lbs of LBM. For my height (5'2") that gave an estimated BMR of 1508 which is about 150 calories over most online estimates. So my goal was 25% BF, but now I'm going to see about getting down closer to 20% since I was thinking I was around 28%. I'll retest in a few months once I get done with my 12 weeks of strong curves.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Check out the eye candy. :smokin:

Oh and also check myself out. Because I am pretty sexy. :wink: :laugh:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Indeed it is Monday Stef....boo.

Walked after work to the gym and already had a sweat worked up. No more spring here in NC, that's for sure!

Squats: 130lbs 3x5. the bf came with me Friday and said my knees still cave in a little so still trying to focus on that. Last rep of last set I totally went too far forward. argh.
    OHP: 4,5,5 58lbs. Think I'm going to drop down to 55lbs (been going up by 0.5lbs) as I THINK I now know what to squeeze i.e. core and glutes during this so I don't kill my back.
    Deads: 160lbs. Ten pounds from bodyweight! Cranked out 4 in a row, then had to take a quick 20-30 second break before getting that 5th rep because I was determined to have 5 total! I think going up by 5 as opposed to 10 has been helping. So just maybe I'll be able to break through the next couple months??

My input for between sets: I pace back and forth around the rack and walk to the water on the other side of the floor to fill my bottle. Or try and stare (but not stare so hard they notice) these guys pushing 100lbs ohp over their heads without moving anything but their arms!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

It's also possible that your 45s aren't very well balanced, or that your 35s are actually more like 30s. My gym has some 25 plates that are super light for some reason, so I either try to avoid using those, or at least try not to mix them with the ones that do feel like they actually weight upwards of 20lbs. Some bars also have a different density (and/or weight) and will sit differently on your back, too. Short of weighting your plates, you may wanna try to work on the 45s alone for a workout or two before you progress further.
    wow, that is crazy! I thought all these plates/bars are supposed to be accurate with minimal fluctuation.

For squat I only used the 25 plates as my last squat was only 110 lb. However I noticed that the actual loading/unloading the large plates tires me off. I always had the best deadlifts when somebody else was using the bar prior me, and I ask them to leave one set of 45lb on the bar. Maybe I am a wimp, but I always work up a sweat just by loading my deadlift bar and i am only at 155 lb.

For squat you need to lift up those plates quite high , so I can imagine that could be even more tiring.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Workout A:

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x5x85, 1x5x115, 5x5x150
    Bench: 2x5x45, 1x5x65, 5x5x75
    Bent over rows: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Chin up: 3x10x-60
    Leg raise: 3x15