May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've skipped posting about my last few workouts because I have been throwing a pity party about my progress with squats. Yesterday was the start of my fifteenth week doing Stronglifts and I'm only up to 120 on squats and I don't feel like I really do all that well at them. I really just need to be okay with the fact that I am giving it all and doing the best I can. So yesterday's workout was:

Squats: 120 5x5 I know I have some reps where my hips come up faster than my chest but I catch myself now and really fight to correct it. My calf right below the back of my knee has been feeling really sore after squats so I'm going to deload a bit and see how it feels. Hopefully a small deload will help adjust my attitude also.
    Bench press: 80 5x5 No problems here.
    Barbell Row: 75 5x5 This was a welcome deload and felt pretty good.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm really loving this program and feel like I'm starting to get more challenged by the weights. I need to use that warmup app that some people are using for SL5x5 because I think I did too many warm up reps for OHP today.

Squat: 2x5 @bar, 2x5 @65, 5x5 @80
    OHP: 2x5 @bar, 1x5 @55 (I might have actually done 2 sets, don't remember), 5x5@60
    DL: 1x5 @95, 1x5 @125

So excited to be at 45 lb plates next time I DL. :) After I did SL I did 20 hanging leg raises, but then I had to shower and get to work. Going to start adding in some accessory work now to help my knees not come in at heavier squat weights and get myself up to doing a chin up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey all Happy hump day...workout A for me today. My sister is joining me again...:drinker:

I will have to catch up with everyone tomorrow...as I normally do that during rests but watching my sisters form..

Squat warmup per normal 3x5 @ 150...form on set two still iffy...felt a lean on last rep......gotta stay tight.

Bench stayed at 125 for form...which was fine. 3x5 on those ready to move to 127.5...realized today I am benching the equivalent of my sister...hehe

Rows gonna watch the video again...125 working weight and it feels fine but just want to make sure I am doing it right as I feel like I am using some momentum from my upper body to get them up sometimes.

All in all a good work out..feeling great.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Just don't bench your sister like that guy cleaning that girl and then throwing her to the ground!

A tonight. Ah summer school, I love how you take away the crowdedness of the gym. Too bad I have to pay for an actual gym with full grownups in 2 weeks when I change jobs...

Squats: 135lbs 3x5. Left hip flexor bothered me as a residual from my measly 1 mile run yesterday and 5k race on Saturday. Didn't bother me on Monday though...
    Rows: 70lbs 3x5. Didn't use my liquid grip like I normally do on these but I knew my grip was better since I've improved on deadlifts.
    Bench: repeated 70lbs since I skipped 69.5 last time (and obviously 1/2lb makes SUCH a difference haha)

Then finished off foam rolling my ITBs and hip flexors. Then did some bent and straight leg lifts for them as well. Anyone have some favorite exercises to help the hip flexors? I never had an issue until my (1st) 10k back in April and then ever since whenever I run. This is the first time its bothered me squatting grrrr.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I could use some advice on the dreaded BB row. I had spine surgery last year and I have a healthy fear of injury. I know you're supposed to squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top. When I lift the bar I can bring it to my chest but I don't have any more room to squeeze. Hope that makes sense. Anyway- I don't know how much weight I'll be able to lift due to the back thing- currently at 55 lbs. What would be a good replacement for the BB row? If I change to single arm DB row, will it have the same affect?

For the squeeze if your form is correct it will be automatic, you may not feel like you are squeezing but you are...

As for the weight and fear...suggestions for replacements per bodybuilding.com

Pullups and when you can weighted pullups (work up to them of course)
    Tbar rows, cable rows
    seated row machine

There were a lot of different posts about it...so it apparently isn't a lift that is liked....
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Just don't bench your sister like that guy cleaning that girl and then throwing her to the ground!

I can see this actually..maybe into the pool this summer....:laugh:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Well my run today looked like it wasn't going to happen, hubs is off at work for who knows how long and pushing the stroller running intervals sucks. Ended up setting my daughter on a blanket in the shade and running in circles around her. I think I did 300+ laps around her to get my 5k done. People in town probably think I'm crazy.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been absent for a minute...last week sucked big donkey parts...so far this week is not much better, but at least this week I have already gotten in an A and B workout. Today was B upped my weight on squat/deadlift to 70 and my OHP to 50. Feel pretty good. Blew through all 5 sets plus warm up in 25 minutes and got in a half mile of intervals plus stretching. I'm hoping to get in a second A workout on Friday.

I am SLLLOWWWWLLLYYY adding weight onto my lifts. I am especially careful with OHP as this is the lift I injured my arm with last fall. My big and very real fear is reinjury.:noway:
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Day A for me tonight:

Squats, 5x5 @ 75 lb.
    Bench, 5x5 @ 55 lb.
    Rows, 5x5 @ 50 lb.

I hit all of them, amazingly enough. It stuns me that a couple of weeks ago, I could barely bench the bar and tonight I moved up to 55 lb. and did them all.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Workout B

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x5x95, 1x5x125, 5x5x155
    OHP: 5x5x50
    Deadlifts: 2x5x45, 1x5x75, 1x5x105
    Chest dips: 3x10x-48
    Hanging leg raises: 3x8

So, I moved from doing the Captain's Chair leg raises to the strap kind, and....OMG my core feels like it's going to die. Why are these so much harder? Because I have to expend more energy to keep from swinging all over the place?
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Haven't logged or posted in awhile. Had a crazy week with three overnights so I haven't done a lot of workouts. The good news is that my forced sleep-deprived rest seems to have finally fixed The Weird Pain. I am happy to report that my squats are 100% pain free. Its hard not to want to throw 20 or 30 extra pounds on there in glee.

Today - Squats 190 3x5
    Bench - 125 5x5
    Rows - 105 5x5

Last workout I did DL 255 1x5 which was super exciting.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I find myself looking forward to going to the gym much more than most other things (aside from eating, methinks. And time spent with the gf) these days xD

Today was EMOTM x6 of 3 power cleans @ 85lbs. My technique wasn't great today, my bluetooth kept crashing and I had to wokrout without my music :( But these felt rather easy sooooo, yay?

Then moved on to 4 sets of push jerks.
    75x5
    85x3
    90x3
    95x3

superset with pendlay rows
    85x10
    85x10
    90x6
    95x6

Then for time
    10, 8, 6, 4 x 10m opf prowler push (started with 25lbs, dropped it at the 8th length of the first set)
    fllowed with 10, 15, 20, 25 of "pull-ups" which I ended up doing bodyweight reverse rows and recline rows to mix it up.

Took me 18 minutes and a lot of sweat!

I love these workout sessions =D
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Workout A this morning, I deloaded squats a lot because a) I need a break from squatting heavy and b)race on Saturday.

Squat 3x5 135 lbs, gonna stay here on monday's work out and build back up to the 160 lbs I was at last time
    Bench 5/4/4 86 lbs
    Row 5/4/4 77 lbs I think it is time for a deload on these too

accessories
    Front raises 3x8 30 lbs
    flies 3x8 15 lbs
    DB rows 3x8 25 lbs
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Awesome lifting ladies!

I was lazy on Monday and sick on Tuesday, but I did manage to get a strength workout in last night.

Squat day on Round 6 of Wendlers, my 5 week.

Squat:
    5 x 80 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds
    3 x 115 pounds
    5 x 125 pounds
    5 x 145 pounds
    5 x 165 pounds-The last rep was ugly, but I got it this time. Last month I failed this one, so repeat this round.

Assistance Work:
    Split Squats- 3 x 15 @ 65 pounds, got them all
    Back Extensions- 3 x 10 @ 35 pounds, got them all
    Chinups-1 unassisted, 3 negatives, 3 assisted with resistance band

8 rounds of 10 box jumps with 10 seconds rest in between. Krok, I didn't hurt myself so I can't join in on the Tuesday club from last week :D

So I normally do some rotator cuff and scapula work after all of my workouts, with light weights, resistance bands, and the pulley machines. I made the mistake of doing the chinups at the very end of my workout, after everything else, and I think it impacted my performance. I thought I should be able to get 2 this week, and I think if I'd done them right after my main squats, I probably could have. Things to remember for next week :)
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Today was workout B for me.
    Squats 105 5x5
    Overhead press 65 5x5 Woo hoo!!!
    Deadlift 150 1x4 This is my second time failing this. Blah!

I am really thinking that switching to 3x5 may be beneficial for me. I'm not trying to make excuses but I think that eating at a deficit is making Stronglifts really hard for me. Does anyone have experience with the Ice Cream 5x5 plan? I was thinking of doing the cutting version which would be 3x5 of the main lifts and 2x8 of the accessory lifts and increasing every other time instead. Obviously, I could just do Stronglifts at 3x5 so I'm not sure what to do.
  • krokador
    Options
    Krok, I didn't hurt myself so I can't join in on the Tuesday club from last week :D

That was only 2 days ago! I wouldn't actually wish for anyone to hurt themselves!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend keeps calling me skinny and says my *kitten* looks even better than it did. So HOORAY FOR SL! Lol :p
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Squat 75kg 3x5
    Bench 45kg 4,3,1 (no one around to spot me so I played it safe... maybe too safe. I'm happy anyway) then 40kg 2x5
    Barbell row 42.5kg 5x5 but I still can't get all five reps to my chest... Work in progress!

Upright barbell row 30kg 3x8
    Superset: dumbbell side lateral raise 4kg and glute barbell bridge with 10kg fixed barbell: 3 rounds, 10 reps each.
    Single-arm dumbbell bent-over row 12kg 1x8 then 10kg 2x8

@dennie24: it depends on your goals. How large is your deficit? I was eating at TDEE-20% when I started SL (500 cals deficit), but as soon as I've started adding a fair amount of weight my performance really began to suffer and I upped my intake to TDEE-15% (approx. 300 cals daily deficit).
    If fat loss is your priority and your protein intake is reasonable, doing 3x5 three times a week with some accessory work IMHO is still enough to retain your muscle mass while you're cutting.

@suremeansyes: yay to SL and amazing bums! :D
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am really thinking that switching to 3x5 may be beneficial for me. I'm not trying to make excuses but I think that eating at a deficit is making Stronglifts really hard for me. Does anyone have experience with the Ice Cream 5x5 plan? I was thinking of doing the cutting version which would be 3x5 of the main lifts and 2x8 of the accessory lifts and increasing every other time instead. Obviously, I could just do Stronglifts at 3x5 so I'm not sure what to do.
    I've never done Ice Cream, so I can't comment on it, but switching to a 3x5 makes a ton of sense to me. Energy levels are obviously lower at deficit, and so long as you're getting in there and lifting heavy things to preserve the muscle, I think lower volume is fine.

I've been doing this (and actually, even the 3x5 is getting hard; must be time for a TDEE break!) and it not only decreased the amount of time in the gym, but I still had energy after I left!
  • krokador
    Options
    Today was workout B for me.
    Squats 105 5x5
    Overhead press 65 5x5 Woo hoo!!!
    Deadlift 150 1x4 This is my second time failing this. Blah!

Somehow missed this yesterday. I ran ICF 5x5 for a month at a caloric deficit and stubbornly trying to do 5x5 and while my squats progressed fairly well (barring a knee issue) and my deadlift would go up kinda well, my upper body lifts were stagnant. In restrospect, doing the 3x5 would've probably been a much better idea, and the accessory work isn't *too* taxing so should come in handy rather than slow you down at that point.

On a workout note: weee, I managed to stick to 6mph for 20 minutes on a 2mile run this morning! ^^ And threw in some BW stuff at the end for good measure. Friday, here I go!