New to the group, check in here

Options

Replies

• hummingbrdhrt
    hummingbrdhrt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new ladies! I hope you all have a fabulous week!
  • MelissaB9902
    MelissaB9902 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, This is my 100th +++ attempt at trying to lose weight, get in shape and stay that way. It is so true, the older you get the harder it is to lose (yet so easy to gain).
    I am 43 years old, married and mom of 2. Last year at this time, I made a commitment to quit smoking after 20 years and started running with hopes to get in shape, better my health and lose 30lbs at the time. Well, here I am a year later, 10 1/2mths smoke free, 2 5K runs under me and 40LBS TO LOSE...ugh! My goal, by December is to lose this excess weight and/or fit back into my smaller clothes. To help try and keep me on track towards my goal, I have committed to running a 8K in November and a Half Marathon next year *eek*
    I hope to developed friendships as well as support each other. Add me as a friend if you like :)
  • brr7907
    brr7907 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a 41 year old mom of 2 awesome boys (12, and 14), who is finally able to spend some time on me. I've been on MFP using the calorie counters, but this is the first time I've started to explore the groups and blogs to find other people who just want to be healthier.
  • schaffermdj
    schaffermdj Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am 47 and I just started this journey 21 days ago. I have over 40 pounds to lose and this seems like a healthy way to keep track. I need to keep up with a teenager and not just sit on the bench. I need support and motivation, so hoping this is the place to come. Feel free to add me if you log daily.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm Heidi. I'm a 43 year old wife, mommy and lawyer. I have 4 kids, 12, 11, 4 and 18 months. I initially joined in the spring of 2012 and almost immediately found out I was pregnant with my 4th. Since she was born I've lost around 50 pounds. I've kept that off for almost a year and now I'm wanting make a push to lose the last 20. I run (slowly) and swim and I'd like to begin incorporating some weight training. If anyone happens to have any tips on that, I'd love to hear them.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hello Heidi! I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a great program that is good for beginning weight lifters and really explains the exercises and sets out the workouts for you. I've done a lot of weight machines and was totally surprised at how this program really targets those muscles without being at the gym for 45 min to an hour!

There is a group here on MFP that has some really good information on it - even if you didn't buy the book. Though the book is not expensive and is well worth it.

Good luck!
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I am Shannon. I have a husband (married 18 years), three kids (girls 16 & 14, boy 12), and two dogs (small white fluffy). On a very mature day I feel 12.

From Dec 2012 to July 2013 I lost 30 pounds. From January 29th 2014 to today I have gain 11 pounds. I am blaming my new boss :) I need to get back on the MFP wagon.
  • smithcentral
    smithcentral Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm 48 and refuse to let my age stop me from finally getting fit. I've struggled with my weight for years and have finally decided that it's my turn and I'm going to do this for me. I have a wonderful husband and supportive son, but neither of them need to lose, and have no idea how hard it can be for a woman my age. I'm here to give and receive support from ladies who understand my point of view.
  • Sivangj
    Sivangj Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I'm Siv, 40 year, married to my highschool sweetheart whom I have 3 boys with (17, 19 and 21 years). Work in a Office so sit a lot during my work day.
    I joined just some days ago.
    I have fibromyalgia and due to not handeling pain that good I have gain more then 30 lbs that I now hope to make go away again. At the same time as I hope to change my lifestyle to a more helthy one.
    I do love dancing and hiking so those might be my main way to work out. Try to get to the gym to do some weight lifting at least once a week, still learning how to With out becomming Chain to the sofa the Next days.
    So there you have me.
    Since I'm from Norway my Counter is in kg not lb. 1 kg = 2.2 lb
  • maririn_uk
    maririn_uk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm 46 years old Japanese and live in UK for nearly 20 years.
    I'm looking for friends who can motivate and support each others :laugh:

Please feel free to add me :wink:
  • shelton2202
    Options
    Hi! I'm 47 and just had to double check that since I always try to make myself older than I am! I lost 25# in 2009 but had lost my motivation to keep on losing. I'm now ready to tackle the next 20# since in a year I will be facing my 30 year class reunion and my daughter will be graduating from high school. She is my baby. I would like to look good for both. I am admittedly an emotional eater, but I am actively trying to change my ways, one baby step at a time! I love to dance and take adult tap and jazz dance classes but was feeling bad about how I looked in my costumes this year, so it's time for a change!
  • luvopera
    luvopera Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am returning to MFP after a long absence and, of course, a weight gain. My name is Kris and I have four kids--two grown up stepsons, a 19 year old boy of my own, and a 6 year old girl. Just celebrated my 45th birthday a few days ago. I live on the west coast of the US.

As I said, I was on MFP before, but back then I never considered joining a group like this. I was doing Insanity and 30 Day Shred back then and was doing well. Now I have a hurt knee and foot (thanks to Insanity) and can't exercise like that. I can't run either. I also have the perimenopause joys. :) So here I am, just a year since my last go at MFP and my priorities and needs are so different.

I can exercise to death and still not lose weight if I don't eat right. So logging my food is critical to me. One habit I got into before on MFP was to log faithfully on good eating days and not to log on days where my food is not very clean. I need to check that habit.

I would enjoy some support and would love to support you on your journey too. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • Kismet0826
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Tamara, and I just turned 40 on Mother's Day. I'm married and I have an 11 year old daughter. I just started myfitnesspal about 2 weeks ago and already I've lost 10 lbs. I'm so excited and terrified. I've always been bigger, but over the last few years, with a job that I hated that affected every aspect of my life, I really got out of control and got up to 300 lbs. I've since tossed that job, reconnected with an inspirational and positive friend who introduced me to this site and I am....amazed, elated, relieved, hopeful and as I see, not alone. I'm very happy to be here.
  • lnader2000
    lnader2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Lili and I just turned 45. I joined MFP about a month ago and I want to lose 15 lbs. I'm not new to weight loss. About 6 years ago I weighed 195 lbs and got down to 135 lbs in space of one year. I maintained it for 5 years. But last year due to a series of events in my life I gained 15 pounds of it back.

Back in 2008 I was on a pretty strict diet (less 800/day) but I'm not sure if I can do that this time around. I quit smoking about 100 days ago and I want to be kinder to myself/body. I've been doing 1200/day diet and manged to lose 2 lbs but since then I have been stuck. It seems the general consensus is to stick with it and it will work. But, I'm a result oriented person and when I don't see the scale move it is hard for me to stay motivated.

I wonder what has been the experience of the 40 something ladies. Does the 1200/day work for you (given the slower metabolism)? Any advice?

I'm also looking for friends if interested.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well my experience is No - the 1200 calories - its a matter of calories in and calories out has not worked for me since I have gotten older. I've been at this a while and have not lost the pounds I'm looking to lose. Some of it I am sure is as you, I am result oriented and when I don't see any - not even a 1/2 pound result in a couple of weeks, I'm outta here.

But you can't give you just gotta play with it and find something that works for you. I'm still trying to figure that out - lol.

There is a group of menopausal and pre-menopausal women on here also and that group has been very informative as to some tips as we age because it does matter what's going on with your hormones, insulin reaction, etc.

I am now trying JUDDD (there's also a group on here for that) and I've only been trying a week and not doing it perfectly yet - but I have to say I feel better than I have in a while.

So if the 1200 isn't working - change it up. Try doing some calculations and finding your true TDEE/BMR numbers and modify your goals on MFP. I got a fitbit and so I let it do all my exercise tracking and it logs directly to MFP. Try finding a fun exercise you enjoy and set a goal. I've joined several challenges here and it has kept me very motivated.

I haven't looked at your profile yet - just responded to your post. But I'll send you a request :)

Good luck!
  • lnader2000
    lnader2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had not heard about JUDDD. I will check it out.
    Thanks,
    Lili
  • Critters99
    Options
    Hello!

44 year old hurtling towards 45. I've been fat and thin. Lost 30kgs at WW some years ago and kept it off for a really long time through being really active. Then after a traumatic year I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (I was in the 5% who gain weight rather than losing it!). The medication they give you basically stops your metabolism dead and you have to give up intense cardio activity until you stabilise. So that was +10kgs.

After recovering from Graves, out of the blue, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Surgery, chemo and radiotherapy and lots of steroids.....+20kgs.

I then suffered the traumatic loss of my sister...+5kgs.

So I am now at my heaviest and want to lose at least 27kgs to be at a weight I can maintain without having to starve myself.

I welcome any and all support on this journey.
  • Tracydpips
    Tracydpips Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been mooching around for some time getting nowhere fast. I have lost 43lbs with ww a couple of years ago and managed (up and down) to more or less keep it off. I so want to lose the rest of my extra weight but seem to struggle, either being very good or very bad. Here's the pouring my heart bit out. I am good at dieting but have had a couple of very difficult years, husband had an affair with a younger woman, children no longer children and now the dreaded menopause. Most if not all my friends were our friends so I now feel extremely lonely as a result been though I have a wonderful new partner ( who has no real need for friends). Sorry a bit heavy...your the first people I have told about the loneliness though. Wish me luck x
  • stitchincrazy
    stitchincrazy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Amanda. I am 41 and proud of it. I am single (divorced) and I have no kids...so 40+ and alone. I live in Las Vegas. I work for the school district in Special Education and have returned to school (UNLV) in January to work towards my Master's Degree in Special Education. Up until the end of January I didn't have a car for over years so I was walking everyday. Once I got the car...walking...not so much. I know I put a lot of the weight back on. Also, I know as I get older I need to get it off again. I have tried this before and hope this time will be THE time.
  • Dini67
    Dini67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I am 47 and started gaining a little more weight than feels comfortable. I have a hard time with eating at night. I eat great during the day and usually eat very healthy food. I just tend to snack at night to comfort myself. I love Bikram yoga and practice many days a week. I decided to check out this site to keep track of my calories and get some support. I want to start with a 10 pound loss.