JMBR - workouts

Options

Replies

• singallagher
    singallagher Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What is the actual point of the one legged moves does anyone know?
    There is a lot of them in WO6.
    Have cardio 2 tomorrow, Ill be sweating again!
  • dwhitney207
    dwhitney207 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're using your core to stabilize and working on one leg at a time is just another way to challenge the muscles. If you do the same moves the same way all the time your body adapts and it's less challenging, less effective, and you burn less calories. Same thing applies if you do the same cardio over and over again.

I just did Cardio 2 for the first time. Holy crap! I burned 340 calories. Let me know if anyone else noticed the mock speed she did the skier moves during the second circuit. I was glad she slowed down during circuit 3!
  • Carrie_P81
    Carrie_P81 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did WO 1 yesterday and 2 today. Got a good calorie burn for just 30 min too. It's taking me a little bit to get used to this, after Insanity where it's go go go till you think you're gonna die, to this which is challenging but not in the same way. I will say that my arms and chest are sore for sure. I haven't done anything with weights for a couple months now. Looking forward to Cardio tomorrow!
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    did Cardio 2 for the first time - so much more challenging than Cardio 1. Burpies - please!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: No breaks. I burned 275 in 30 minutes which is a lot for me. I'm sore everywhere, but feeling good
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Does 6 have the one where you stand on one leg while your back is parallel to the floor and do the lifts (some kind of flyes... I can't remember what she calls them)?
    there are "storks" where you are bent parallel to the floor and you row heavy weights up to your belly...she also does a 1-legged squat with light weights where you squat down, touch your toe with the weight and then fly your arms up as you stand...I struggled with both. I had to keep tapping my foot down

Oh! I remember those. I like them. You know, in an "I can't wait until this is over" kinda way.
  • dwhitney207
    Options
    WO5 just as hard the 2nd time! 340 calories. Will be interesting to see if it feels any easier next week. I really like the even number workouts better too -- can't remember who said that!

The weekend is almost here. Keep up the good work!
  • nikkik8806
    nikkik8806 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of WO 3&4. I was thinking of repeating them next week because I'm kind of still struggling through them. Especially the planks. What does everyone else do? Do you just push forward or would you repeat a week of workouts? I know they will just get tougher and I want to maximize my results.
  • jodios528
    Options
    I'm on my second week of WO 3&4. I was thinking of repeating them next week because I'm kind of still struggling through them. Especially the planks. What does everyone else do? Do you just push forward or would you repeat a week of workouts? I know they will just get tougher and I want to maximize my results.
    I did phase 1 as she laid it out the calendar, but now that I'm on phase 2 I was thinking similarly about adding an extra week. I'm only in week 5 but WO 5&6 are so much tougher for me. I'm thinking that I'll go through both weeks with 5&6...hopefully they'll feel more manageable by the time I'm done and I'll move on to 7&8 - but I'm going to be flexible. If 7&8 are just too hard I might repeat 5&6 until I feel ready to move on.
    I know if I try and tackle exercises that are beyond my capability that I end up using poor form and I don't want to get injured.
    I'm a big advocate of doing what you can plus a bit more, push but not so far out of your comfort zone that you can't handle it, get hurt or decide to quit. Hope that helps
  • jodios528
    Options
    second time for WO 5 - seemed just a tad easier but still got my heart pounding. burned 267 - most I've ever burned on the BR. whoooo hooooo
  • dwhitney207
    Options
    Great job, Jodi! I was NOT in the mood to workout tonight but I did it. Only 2 more times each for WO 5 and 6 -- doesn't sound so bad when you say it that way!
  • pisces3
    pisces3 Posts: 27
    Options
    Well, I'm just in week one, but I like the workouts.

However, I think I made too many changes in addition to adding these workouts and I actually physically don't feel well at all. I think my body might be in shock, because no change in weight at all. And last week, while just watching what I ate and walking on my lunch I lost a pound.

I hate to say, I might need to scale back a bit and get used to things before I just go from 0 to 100 after nearly 2 years of not working out. I'm bummed out. I just know if I'm going to stick with it at all, I need to slow down bit or I'll just bail altogether.
  • jodios528
    Options
    Well, I'm just in week one, but I like the workouts.

However, I think I made too many changes in addition to adding these workouts and I actually physically don't feel well at all. I think my body might be in shock, because no change in weight at all. And last week, while just watching what I ate and walking on my lunch I lost a pound.

I hate to say, I might need to scale back a bit and get used to things before I just go from 0 to 100 after nearly 2 years of not working out. I'm bummed out. I just know if I'm going to stick with it at all, I need to slow down bit or I'll just bail altogether.
    Definitely DO NOT BAIL...do what works for you. If you haven't worked out in 2 years you might need to take it a bit slower. Its normal to feel sore and tried right after but you should be bouncing back fairly quickly and feeling like you have lots of energy to face you day. What other changes are you making? Also, I've actually put on muscle weight doing this program. More muscle means higher metabolism so it will start to come off in time. I've also heard that when you work out your muscles hard there is some water retention happening. Stick with it!!!!!
  • pisces3
    Options
    Oh, I won't bail. I'm too driven. :)

It's definitely not the typical workout soreness that's the issue here. Prior to the babies, I was in pretty good shape, so I feel like I can gauge well what to expect and what not to. This is more than that. I've been feeling headachey, have had no energy and just feel like I can't function.

Typically I walk on my lunch. This week I added JMBR, getting up earlier by about 45 minutes to do so (and not adjusting at night, so really just less sleep), eating less than before and on strength training days replacing lunch with a protein shake. I'm using MFP to track my calories and have been eating back some of the workout calories, but staying under my goal for the day, but not by a ton, so I am eating.

I think it's just too much change at once for my body to process, so I'm either going to scale back, or switch the date/time to see if that changes things. It's so hard with two little ones to do it at night after they're in bed, because I'm typically wiped out, but that might be better than losing an hour of sleep in the morning.
  • dwhitney207
    Options
    Oh, I won't bail. I'm too driven. :)

It's definitely not the typical workout soreness that's the issue here. Prior to the babies, I was in pretty good shape, so I feel like I can gauge well what to expect and what not to. This is more than that. I've been feeling headachey, have had no energy and just feel like I can't function.

Typically I walk on my lunch. This week I added JMBR, getting up earlier by about 45 minutes to do so (and not adjusting at night, so really just less sleep), eating less than before and on strength training days replacing lunch with a protein shake. I'm using MFP to track my calories and have been eating back some of the workout calories, but staying under my goal for the day, but not by a ton, so I am eating.

I think it's just too much change at once for my body to process, so I'm either going to scale back, or switch the date/time to see if that changes things. It's so hard with two little ones to do it at night after they're in bed, because I'm typically wiped out, but that might be better than losing an hour of sleep in the morning.

I have had to do the DVDs after the kids (ages 5 and 2) go to bed and it's definitely hard to motivate at that time of day, but it's not bad once you get going. These workouts are so intense I can't imagine doing them first thing in the morning before they get up either. Hang in there!
  • pisces3
    Options
    During the workouts, I feel fine. It's the rest of the day that I'm dragging and not feeling well.

I was WAY off in how I was eating before, so it's a big change and will just take me some time to adjust.
  • singallagher
    singallagher Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So today is my weigh in day.
    To date my weight loss has been minimal with JMBR and I'm OK with that.
    This week (for the first time ever) I missed two workouts. Monday WO5 because we were away for a few days holiday and Thursday cause I was doubled over with period pain.
    So anyhow, I weigh myself this morning and I have lost 1.2lbs.
    WTF!!??
    Biggest ever single weight loss achieved in one week.
    How is this possible on a week I miss half the workouts? :ohwell:
  • jodios528
    Options
    just did WO 6 for the second time - definitely easier this time around. I was able to do just about all the one legged stuff on the right...on the left not so much.

I found that my weight is kinda all over the place with this program (putting on muscle; hopefully losing fat). I'm not getting too caught up in the scale any more and letting the fit of my clothes be my guide. Otherwise I think I'll drive myself crazy

I was doing this first thing in the morning but I found that if I didn't eat prior to the workout I had no energy and felt crappy. So I've adjusted my schedule so I get up, have breakfast, work and then workout just before lunch. It is working out a lot better for me and for once I'm not starting to fad in the afternoon.

Hang in there everyone!
  • Lynn1315
    Lynn1315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi all...

I started today with workout 1. Even my 6 yr daughter got into it. I loved the first workout... Tough, but I like her commentary! Lol. I had a lot of success with her program several years ago and lost 30lbs. I missed the circuits and knew it would work for me again but I needed the motivation. Just reading the exercises and doing them from the web wasn't enough... So I really likes this workout.

I can't wait to build my stability. I'm an orange belt in Kempo karate, but I often feel like I should have more balance and a tighter core. I cannot wait!!

Here is a question... I'm headed to a conference for work on Tuesday. I can get a morning Workout in on Tuesday, but Wed-Friday I will be sharing a hotel room with a friend. I'm debating taking the DVDs with me so I can stay on track. But I'm not sure how late I'll be up hanging out with colleagues. Many of them drink alcohol and typically I do, but I don't want to sabotage myself during the first week.

Have a great week!

Lynn
  • jodios528
    Options

Here is a question... I'm headed to a conference for work on Tuesday. I can get a morning Workout in on Tuesday, but Wed-Friday I will be sharing a hotel room with a friend. I'm debating taking the DVDs with me so I can stay on track. But I'm not sure how late I'll be up hanging out with colleagues. Many of them drink alcohol and typically I do, but I don't want to sabotage myself during the first week.

Have a great week!

Lynn

Is there a gym at the hotel you are staying at? I'm going out of town soon and plan to bring the DVD's and my laptop with me and do the workouts early in the morning before my work day begins. I'm a little embarrassed at the thought of doing these workouts around anyone else, but I don't want to take too long a break from it. Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.
  • pisces3
    Options
    Thank you Dana and Jodi. Your posts got me thinking that the morning might not be the best time for me, being up so early and on an empty stomach. The last few days I've done them after putting the kids to bed and it's SO much better.

I feel like I'm putting more into the workouts and I feel much better. So far, I'm right on track and going to see how this week goes.

Oh, and the scale finally moved. Yay!