June workout check in: June-o you want to deadlift

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Trainer session today, first was DL.

DL: 1x10@95, 1x6@105, 1x3@135, 1x3@155, 1x3@175, and 3x3@185

WOOOOOO! Felt badass. Then did a 10 min circuit of 5x95lb DL, 10 burpees, 15 wall balls. Got 3 rounds in and I was BEAT.

I only have about 2.5 hours total in the pool today, thank God. I had one lesson cancel so it's down from 3.25 hours. Tomorrow is the crossfit class my trainer teaches, then Sunday my next SL day depending on how I'm feeling. :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    @wolfsbayne= Congatulations! !

Today's workout: squat 5x5 @ 75
    OHP ( my nemesis) 5x5 @ 35. I'm going to try to increase next time. It seemed a little better after watching Rippetoe and his hip piston.
    DL 1x5 @ 105

Goblet squats to work on getting lower.
    Abs, assisted chin ups and dips.
    20 minutes on the treadmill.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Stef I love JGL I could watch that gif for a week straight probably. I had such a crush on him as a kid, and I guess it never went away :laugh: I wouldn't worry about "imbalances" when you''ve been recovering from an injury for so long. It will balance itself out. When I first started lifting I injured my knee really badly (not from lifting) and my lifts were hilarious. Like 120 bench, 135 squat, and 225 deadlift or something at one point. Now they're mostly where they should be, except you know I want them higher!:grumble: The ratios are pretty normal though.

Today was DL/OHP day! Always the best day

Deadlift
    45x10m 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 250x5, 285x3, 320x7

OHP
    45x5, 65x5, 80x5, 90x3, 100x4

Speed deads
    195 3x10

Paused deads
    195 3x5

DB OHP 20# DB
    3x10

Supersetx3
    Assisted pull upx3
    AB wheel x8
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    I've been struggling these past 2 weeks. Last week was VBS volunteeering and watching extra kids and before I knew it the week was over and I hadn't gotten my gym time in. :cry:

Then Saturday I went on a great, strenuous hike around 11,000 ft. but I noticed my throat started hurting in that elevation as we slogged uphill through deep patches of snow. What was an 11 mile hike last year, we only did the hike one way instead of a loop and it was only 7.4 miles when we were done, yet it took only an hour and 15 minutes less than doing the whole thing. I'm guessing it was a little more strenuous climbing over 16 ft snow hills (in some places).

Anyway, I ended up getting sick on Sunday. Chest cold, head cold, fever, body aches, the works. I hate being sick in summer! And this puppy has stuck around all week. I've been weak as a kitten. I'm finally starting to see the light today but still have that chest rattling cough that seems to worsen upon any activity.

I was supposed to do a 14,000 ft (14er) hike on Sunday but had to face facts that if I'm hacking up a lung at 4,893 ft chances are that I'm not going to be feeling very good trying to hack up a lung at 14,196 ft. So I had to postpone my hike.

Today I finally got a little bit of exercise but it wasn't much. I got on my stationary bike for 30 minutes, walked the dog for 14 minutes and did 3 minutes of push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

Hopefully by Sunday I can start my week fresh with my Stronglifts Routine. I've missed it.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Great lifting everyone!

Skittles - I hope you start to feel better soon.

Tree - Have you seen Don Jon (netflix has it)? JGL wrote, directed, and starred in it. I thought it was decent and plenty of JGL eye candy so......

Still making my way through Strong Curves. Apparently 75lb Good Mornings don't agree with my neck/shoulder tissue.....hence the three bruises in my profile pic. I thought they were just a darker portion of my tan line (not that you can see the tan in the pic), but nope, bruises. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep the barbell in place for those. I've seen bars specifically for good mornings before on you tube videos, but my gym doesn't have anything other than oly bars and ez-curl bars. Time to get on you tube and look for some tips.

But other than that, still progressing on weight for most of my lifts. Had some tightness and soreness in my upper back yesterday that is hanging in there today. Got to spar again last night in boxing class. The guy I sparred against is really good and on the Penn State boxing team. Granted, he played down to my skill level, but still gave me a good match. We did 2 consecutive 3 minute rounds with a 30 second break in between. I was already tired going into it so I was done after the 2 rounds. And of course, pretty sweaty after just 6 minutes of work. But, all in all, I think I am improving. Talking with the instructor, he seemed to agree and thought that my power was pretty good. I just have to work on getting in range better since I have a lot of punches that never come close to touching anything because I'm too far back. One of the issues of being a shorty that I just have to learn to get past.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Argh! Decided to warm-up by playing some basketball at the park and I must've been a little too eager and kind of tweaked something in my lower back on the right side. So I waited a bit, went to the gym in hopes I could work through it and it didn't feel too bad during until I got to the end and then I knew the cardio part of the day wasn't going to happen right away. My right IT band and psoas are being all like "we're tight now, b****! Ha!"

Anyhow, this is how it went:

EMOTM x6 of
    Clean + Hang Clean x 2 (so 4 reps total) @ 75lbs

Superset of
    Push Jerk
    85x3
    85x3
    87.5x3
    90x3
    BB Good morning
    65x10
    65x10
    75x10
    75x10

And when I figured I wasn't going to run/row yet (the chaos session is 20min AMRAP of 400m run, 200 DUs and 400m row -- and I was going to replace the rowing with 1min all out burpees anyway), I decided to tackle on this superset:

1 arm DB row
    45x8
    50x8
    50x8
    CGBP
    95x3x7 (was going for 8 but it just wasn't happening. Dang, I used to be better at these :|)

If my lovely butt can loosen up I'll go to the park tackle that cardio session thingy. It might happen only tomorrow though. It's okay, gives me time to go grab my running shoes! lol
    Still making my way through Strong Curves. Apparently 75lb Good Mornings don't agree with my neck/shoulder tissue.....hence the three bruises in my profile pic. I thought they were just a darker portion of my tan line (not that you can see the tan in the pic), but nope, bruises. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep the barbell in place for those. I've seen bars specifically for good mornings before on you tube videos, but my gym doesn't have anything other than oly bars and ez-curl bars. Time to get on you tube and look for some tips.

Ever done prisoner squats/lunges? The way you're supposed to keep your shoulder blades down and back - It's a little more exaggerated than what you would normally do on a back squat. If you bring your hands in a little closer together and keep that tight the bar doesn't really move. At least that's what I do and it works pretty well. Leaves less of a mark than those high bar squats do!
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Celebration Day today!

I did my 5x5 squats with 50kg \o/ yiiiiha.
    Rest of Workout A:
    BP: 5x5 @ 28kg
    Rows: 5x5 @ 41kg

Also I finished my 4th week today. And I am sooooo exicted for the progress pics I'm gonna make on July 1st. Hope you see some hulk-like muscles (or at least a little bit of a change =D )
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    OOOOPH. Today was supposed to be Wendler's bench press (even pre-logged it), but when I got to the gym, I realized there was no way I was going to use those little pre-weighted barbells. For one thing, they were all taken. I guess people are really ramping up their gym attendance before their vacations! Good on them! :drinker:

So today was a modified A workout instead:

Bench:
    55lbs, 5x5

Rows:
    65lbs, 5x5

Feeling super fat this weekend, so I'll try and go for a short jog after dinner and hope that clears the "fat day" cobwebs away.

@JuliRamone: congrats on 4 weeks! I'm sure your progress pics are gonna be great!
  • suremeansyes
    I ripped off one of my calluses doing deadlifts yesterday and now my girlfriend and I have taken to affectionately calling my left hand Zombie Hand. LOL.

Today did the crossfit class that my trainer leads and it was full of ****ty things. lol
    hand release pushups
    situps
    box jump burpees
    pullups
    push presses
    row machine
    goblet squats
    pistol squats

I'm not putting them in the correct order, but anyway that's all the crap he made us do and he keeps yelling "GET IT!" at us. Haha, I love him. Tomorrow is DL day again for SL5x5 and I think I got 175 locked down this time. I bought chalk yesterday. :) I'm also aiming for more reps on OHP at 75, not necessarily 5x5 but we'll see! Just more than last time. Also I move up to 45s on squats tomorrow!
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Weird thing happened yesterday at the gym. There were two men working out when I got there which is no big deal but the funny part was when I went to do my bench presses. They both asked if I was using the bench press I said yes but they could work in. They both declined. I guess they were being gentlemen.

June 21 - Workout A
    Squats
    Warm-up: 1x8xBodyweight, 1x8xBar (35lbs), 1x8x55, 1x8x65
    Working set: 3x8x85

Bench Press
    Warm-up: 1x5xbar, 1x5x55
    Working: 5x5x60

Row
    Warm-up: 1x5xbar, 1x5x60, 1x5x70
    Working: 5x5x85

Accessory: prep for pull-ups 4x10.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    I've been doing my workouts very other day yet just not posting here but still reading about all your amazing lifts! Way to go everyone! Hubby thinks I spend to much time on MFP the way it is. ????

My posterior chain is weak and I don't feel it as much as I think I should when I squat and DL. My quads aren't sore but neither is my backside. So I added glute bridges and now I think I will do some goblet squats before my 5*5. To get them fired up and hopefully see more work from them. Is this a good idea or any other suggestions? Thanks.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    @wolfsbayne congrats! I hope there was a pic of you lifting someone? okay, maybe "hope" is the wrong word. :-) but it'd be cool!

@willrun sorry for all of the stressful things. I also check my google hangouts messages too much when I workout...hard to counsel my friend well AND squat effectively...sometimes I end up slogging along on the elliptical so I can use my hands to type and feel like I'm working out...

@skittles hope you feel better soon!

Today's workout was either the best ever or the unfamiliar bar in the power rack was not 45 lbs. I tried to compare it to other bars later but my results were inconclusive because I am that clueless. Or I can't do math. I forget that the Stronglifts app will do it for me. :-) My chemical engineering degree has since fizzled out into the atmosphere.

Sq - 95lbs 5x5
    OHP - 55lbs 6x5 Extra set so I feel better about upping the weight next time? (I suspected it from the squats...but this is when I really started to think the weight was wrong!)
    DL - 110lbs 1x5

Other junk: cable woodchoppers of dubious form, assisted pullups & dips, dip station leg raises
    Gym was closing ish so I didn't want to do these. But they're fun!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEn3KAjQHYE

We'll see what rude awakening awaits next time I have to do workout B and the normal bar is free. :-) I wish they labeled the weights on the end or something.

Does anyone else use fitocracy, btw? I'm muroo over there!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Happy Monday!

Workout A this morning:

Squat: Warmup, then 135lb 5x5. Got to use the big plates today! :drinker:

BP: Warmup, then 80lb 1x3, 4x5. Probably could have/should have done the last two reps in the first set...

Row: 60lb 5x5. Deloaded for form. Finally found that sweet spot where my stance, back, arms, and everything else felt perfectly in place. I think I've finally got it!

Went to a wedding last night and sat for quite a while in an uncomfortable chair, so woke up for the gym this morning with a really sore lower back. Took some Advil an hour ago.. hopefully I feel 100% before Workout B on Wednesday. Leaving for vacation this Friday night as soon as I get home from work!

ETA: How do y'all do glute bridges at the gym without weird looks from others? I think I would feel kind of silly laying on the floor thrusting my pelvis in the air with a bar laying across me. :/
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Officially made it past halfway of the program! (At least the normal structure of it. There's another optional phase I'm still not 100% sure I want to tackle. haha)

Snacth + Hang Snacth x2 EMOTM for 6 minutes @60lbs

Back squats
    150x3 EMOTM for 4
    160x2 EMOTM for 4

I started out a bit weird, the lighting in the gym made it look like I was centered on the bar but I was so off-center on the first set I had to re-rack and recompose myself. Kind of made the whole thing a bit of a grind! If I ever go back to 5x5 or 5/3/1 the 2-3 minutes rest between sets is going to be a joke! lol

Also, since I'm halfway through this phase, I get to retest the chaos sessions! Today was 3 rounds for time of
    10x DB Front Squat @ 25
    5x Deadlift @ 165
    25x push-ups on DB

Previous time: 11:45. New time: 9:53 (Now to be fair, I was testing maxes the last time I did this so the improvement is probably partly due to the slightly lesser fatigue)

@muroo I added you on fito! I think you'll know who I am ;P And yeah, my gym has both 45s and 35s for bars. I use the 35s a lot for snatch work cuz I can't handle that much weight yet. You'll find that 45lbs bar is thicker and longer than the 35. But it might've just been a really good day though!

@willrun4bagel Glute bridges are not the craziest thing I do in the gym. Just do your own thing and ignore the other people, chances are they won't even be glancing your way if you don't make a big deal out of it. And if they DO, just wink at them! Well, maybe not...

@suremeansyes You can do pistols?! Now THAT's impressive! Way to go!
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    I was out of town for the weekend celebrating my birthday. Definitely missed the gym. Did a three hour kayaking excursion, but not much activity other than that. Back at my routine tomorrow night!
  • suremeansyes

Yep! And unassisted. :) Definitely one of the things I'm pretty proud of.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    I had to Google pistol squats (yay newbie!) but now that I know what they are I am insanely impressed :)

Workout B

Squat 5x5x65 - I could feel my form was a little off though so I'll be staying here next time. I seem to be lifting my butt first but my upper body isn't entirely going up with it all in the same movement

OHP 5x5x45 So happy to have finally got this one!

DL 5x5x115 - I was pretty disappointed to deload and fail after my week off, so this makes me very happy
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member

Yep! And unassisted. :) Definitely one of the things I'm pretty proud of.

Daaaaaamn! that is freakin awesome!!!

Today was B on the schedule:

Squats: warm up, 5x5 @ 52,5kg / 116lbs
    OHP: 5x5 @ 28,5kg / 63lbs
    DL: 5x5 @ 70kg / 154lbs

And now *happy dance* because of the 70kg deadlift *dance* *dance* *dance*
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    @sure, holy crap, that's awesome! I tried those for the first time last week, didn't go well lol.
    @krok, machine as usual, great workouts!
    @willrun, I do them on my day at the women's only, so they laugh but it's a good natured sort of teasing :)
    @massage, where do you place the bar when you squat? If it's high bar, it's going to work your quads more than your PC, but the lower the bar is, the more you lean forward, and the more your PC is engaged.
    @juli, congrats on making 4 weeks and on the DL!
    @skittles, I hope you feel better soon!
    @fittree, nice deadlift!
    @stef, I hope you had a fun canoe trip!

Happy Monday ladies, and great lifting!

I did deadlifts/OHP on Friday, and then a 9 hour round trip hike/scramble on Saturday.

Deadlifts:
    5 x 95 pounds
    5 x 120 pounds
    3 x 145 pounds
    5 x 155 pounds
    5 x 180 pounds
    5 x 205 pounds-Only got 3 on this, so I'm repeating next round

OHP: (deloaded)
    5 x 45 pounds
    5 x 45 pounds
    3 x 45 pounds
    5 x 45 pounds
    5 x 55 pounds
    5 x 60 pounds-I got 7 on this

Dips-AMRAP, I got 4, 3, 3
    Attempted the glute ham raise from the floor and multiple areas around the gym, but just couldn't find a comfortable way to do it, so I switched to hip thrusters. 3 x 10 with 45 pounds (bar)

The hike on Saturday was a 5 mile round trip, with an elevation gain of 2,953 feet, and a nice scramble and ridge walk to the summit at the top. All I can say is thank goodness I'd been practicing in the climbing gym, the downclimb was terrifying with no equipment lol. Definitely worth it once I got to the top though :bigsmile: I didn't eat that much that night, we got down at 6:30 PM, but I ate all the foodz the next day at my sister's birthday party.
  • suremeansyes
    For anyone wanting to learn the pistol squat, here's a good video. :)

Pistol Squats: http://youtu.be/DjxQrgLsty4

My old trainer taught me to do them first by standing on a 45 plate, to elevate me a bit to give a bit of wiggle room in the other leg. Then hold onto the squat bar and use it to slowly lower yourself onto the one leg, holding your other leg out in front of you. Then pull yourself up slowly using the squat bar to help. Every time you practice then rely less and less on the bar and stop using the plate to stand on. It only took me like 4 times to be able to do them without it.