July Fitness Challenge

Options
suejoker
suejoker Posts: 317 Member
Ok, Warrior Sisters! It's 2 days until July and I think I have my July fitness challenge worked out. I want to continue burning at least 3500 calories/week + start lifting 3x/week. I think it's cool that we can each pick our own fitness challenge and still support each other. Also, I like how we can talk about peripheral issues which, like it or not, affect our ability to achieve our fitness goals. Thanks for making this group so flexible & rewarding!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided on mine yet. Will have to think and figure it out tomorrow.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Because of health limitations, I can only do upper body, arm and swimming exercises for the next month. Basically any activity that causes my calf muscles to bunch up is out. That leaves out a lot of stuff.

My July goal is to go to the gym at least once a week for a total of 5 times by July 31.

If you knew how mind numbingly boring I consider the gym, you'd know what a big deal this goal is. Usually, my cheapness encourages me to show up at the health club a few days a month. But when the weather is gorgeous and I can just hop on my bike to check out new trails, I'd rather be anywhere than a funky old sweatbox.

I broke down and bought a swimsuit so I can give swimming a try since my gym has a pool. I think I was younger than 15 years old the last time I was in a swimsuit in public. Happily, being an older lady, the expectation of how I should look in a swimsuit has dropped quite a bit. I'm taking full advantage to wear shorts and t-shirt over the suit. In fact, I got a swimsuit with built in shorts called Aquatard.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sue, you mentioned yesterday in the June post I must be taller. I am 5'3" on a really really good day, 269 pounds. Monday was just a walk for 5 miles...today I ran/walked for 30 minutes. I honestly don't know what the distance was...I would assume around 2 miles. I walked a block and ran a block. My running is a slow jog, my work out partner is awesome and she waits for me at the end of every block. If i start chanting to myself, then she runs a head, otherwise she stays beside me the whole way. I just start hearing Rockie music in my head and focus on the stop point ahead of me. Running is the most painful thing in the world to me,,,it hurts my lungs, my left knee, my legs..everything. But I have made a decision to do this and I will not stop. I wear my HRM and today I got to 99% at one point and that was at the end of a block. I am just tickled to death with my accomplishment.

I think for July...I am going to strive for that 3500 calorie a week burn. As I get more fit, that will be harder to hit. . . but right now. . . I am blowing that out of the water most weeks. It does not take much to get to 1000 calorie burn when you weigh 270...

I am also going to continue to run/walk...I have a 5K in August so that is my goal. I would love to run the entire thing...but...I will be happy if I can do it under 45 minutes. I will expect you all to cheer me on for this. I will give you all more details on it soon. It is one of the fun runs that they call the "color run". . . Not timed or official...but I will time myself for sure.

I am also going to see a trainer tomorrow afternoon to possibly start weight training...that may add to my goals as I get there and see what I can do. I want to start "really" lifting and pumping some serious iron. LOL Cardo is VERY difficult for me and I am not sure I am going to beable to get the weight loss from just cardio...but I know I can if I start lifting. So.....my July Goals

3500 calories a week burn
    Start weight training at least once a week
    Run/Walk at least twice a week
    Get at least 70,000 steps in a week (fitbit one tracker)
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    BTW: Culo....way to go on buying the suit...that is so scary...I love swimming, but I don't fit in to my suit right now and I am really trying to run. As far as the goal being going to the gym 5 times by the end of the July........THAT IS GREAT!!!!!!!!! I too hate going to the gym, but sometimes it is a neccessary evil for me to get stuff done. I don't go much during the summer because I want to be out side, but I do pay my dues just in case the weather does not do what I want it to do. So, GOOD LUCK with your 5 times. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • culo97
    Options
    I am also going to continue to run/walk...I have a 5K in August so that is my goal. I would love to run the entire thing...but...I will be happy if I can do it under 45 minutes. I will expect you all to cheer me on for this. I will give you all more details on it soon. It is one of the fun runs that they call the "color run". . . Not timed or official...but I will time myself for sure.

I am also going to see a trainer tomorrow afternoon to possibly start weight training...that may add to my goals as I get there and see what I can do. I want to start "really" lifting and pumping some serious iron. LOL Cardo is VERY difficult for me and I am not sure I am going to beable to get the weight loss from just cardio...but I know I can if I start lifting. So.....my July Goals

3500 calories a week burn
    Start weight training at least once a week
    Run/Walk at least twice a week
    Get at least 70,000 steps in a week (fitbit one tracker)
    Very ambitious multiple goals, schnicklefrit. Achieving any one of them would be admirable.

Get it.
  • culo97
    Options
    Ok, Warrior Sisters! It's 2 days until July and I think I have my July fitness challenge worked out. I want to continue burning at least 3500 calories/week + start lifting 3x/week.
    Are you going to do one of those programs like 5x5 (I think that's what one is called)? I know there're a lot of YouTube videos on the topic but working with a trainer is a good idea to get started.
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Diane: By the way...I am such a dork....I can't wait until you hit onederland....I could not figure out what you were talking about. WOW...that will be so rockin awesome. I have 70 pounds to get there...don't wait up...lol. I cannot even remember being in the one hundreds....Maybe when I was 20? I really know that I can do it this time with all of your help.

Culo: the goals are not all that ambitious if you just look at one at a time.... LOL. Especially the 3500 calorie burn. That is almost a cheat for me. With as much as I weigh, with the running a few days a week and an hour long walk up down the hills in this town a few times a week....that will be easy. Not that the work itself is easy, that is not what I am saying... I earn every single calorie I burn let me tell you. I don't go for a stroll...i WALK...I am not sure how fast...I need to start bringing my phone and the mapmywalk app with me. I like using that because in the end it tells you how far and what your mph were. That is kind of cool. I would have to wear a fanny pack or something though and .... ugh... btw...what is a 5x5 program? I will have to research.

By the way...when I was running/jogging/walking this AM...a woman ran by us and said "great job" as she passed us. I am sure she was talking about me....and the fact that this short large frame was making the attempt. In all of my grunting. LOL Lots of sounds to push myself. LOL
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My goal for July is to continue doing Zumba 2 to 3 days a week, bowl league once a week, continue tweaking my calorie intake (been slowly upping it), and work in a walk one or two days a week. I had eliminated my walks (5 days a week, 2 miles (with one mile completely uphill), but would now like to fit some walking back in. I'm just afraid of overdoing it and having another halt in weight loss, monthly cycle, etc. Ultimate goal (for July) - get to Onederland. (I'm currently at 201, so it shouldn't be too difficult). I'd like to fit in some strength training, but not sure when I would fit that into my schedule at the moment without giving up Zumba. Maybe just some simple stuff I can do at home: push ups, hand weights, resistance bands, etc.
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Culo- You mentioned riding a bike. That sounds fun. I should consider getting myself on a bike, get some fresh air, wind on my face, pretty trees, yup...sounds great.

Schnicklefrit- Don't feel bad. Took me a minute to understand what someone meant when I read Onederland for the first time. All I could think of was Alice in Wonderland. Great job with the running. Right now I just walk. I used to walk/run with my dog. Now, I think if I tried to let her run, I would be eating gravel and spitting out my teeth (she's a strong dog).

Sue- You asked me at the end of the June thread if I was getting myself a reward for getting to Onederland. So far, I have been giving myself mini rewards in the form of work out clothes and sneakers. I did get myself a Nook Color HD+ at Christmas because they had a great sale price. I made sure it worked, put it back in the box, and told myself I could have it when I was below 200 pounds. Then, I didn't make any attempt to lose weight until I joined MFP in March. It is still in its box waiting to be reopened and charged. I even loaded a book on there that I wanted to read. That is waiting for me in Onederland. :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Such great, inspiring goals, everyone. Culo, I hope you enjoy the swimming. I always feel so great when I go, but continue to struggle with getting there. Jodi, that's fabulous about the running. Be sure not to push the running time up too quickly and to take rest days, as it takes your body some time to adjust and you don't want to get injured. I think meeting with a trainer and getting a weight program going will be great for you. (Would be for me too--I sort of had a program and need to get back to it, although I finally decided for certain that I'm ditching my old horrible gym and probably going with this new one I'm trying out, which I will actually use.) Diana, I'm sure you will make Onederland any day now (depending on when you are weighing) and you totally should reward yourself. I'm thinking of playing with my calories, but simply trying to earn more is working for me currently, so I'm disinclined to change too much right now.

I have a few goals for July that sound more ambitious than they are. My experience currently is that I do better with some goals to aspire to and work up to rather than more ambitious weekly ones, since it's having life interfere with the weekly ones that tends to mess me up by me overreacting and getting unduly disappointed. If I challenge myself to do something hard (for me) and don't, but try hard and make lots of progress, that's usually something I deal with better, and so far I've surprised myself on being able to accomplish a lot of them. I had some really focused activity goals through the end of May (3 month goals made in February, shortly before I started actually using MFP) and since then I've felt a little at loose ends as far as what I specifically am doing although summer plus this group meant that I increased my activity quite a lot anyway. So these are my goals that I will try to accomplish during July:

(1) I am signed up for a 10K toward the end of July that I figured I would have to miss due to my knee. But the PT is really helping, I'm finally feeling like I could run again (waiting for the go-ahead, however), and I feel like my mechanics will be a lot better even though I probably lost some running fitness during this time off. Also, I remembered that it's a 5K, as well as a 10K, so I should certainly be able to do the 5K, even if I can't do the whole distance. So one of my goals is to run this race. I want the shirt!

(2) Work up to biking 50 miles in one ride.

(3) Work up to swimming an hour at a time -- I love swimming, it makes me feel great, but it's too meditative (one reason it's good for me) and so I have trouble doing it long totally apart from any physical issues. I am going to work on this.

(4) Try new things. With the new gym plus some opportunities to try some group rides and walks that go on around town all summer, there are lots of possibilities, but I get nervous about trying even things that I know will be fun, especially if I worry that I'll stick out as not sufficiently in shape compared to everyone else, etc. So I want to get over this and also discover some new fun activities. Thus, my biggest July goal which I will report on here is to do one new thing each week.

(5) Oh, almost forgot. And do this pushup program.
  • suejoker
    Options
    Warrior Women Rock!:flowerforyou:

I am so excited about this month! I'm really looking forward to learning how to lift and being able to go to the gym whenever I want. Your goals are amazing! I may not be the most ambitious in the group, but I will absolutely cheer you on all month long! Gonna go lie down now. Getting sleepy. See you tomorrow!
  • belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Do you all count coffee as part of your dail water intake??
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    July Goal!
    At this point, I am mostly trying to maintain my weight. Thanks to Jodi, who has talked me into trying more weight ‘stuff’. She has also given me a few more things to put into my repertoire that I hadn’t done before. Now, I just have to do them! My husband and I are moving into a house right now, so my goals for the past week have been to paint rooms and carry boxes down three flights of stairs. So that is my current workout. But once that is over, weights, here I come!
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    I am so excited about this week I can hardly stand it!!! So many things going on in my healthy world, my muscles are breaking down and growing, I am getting stronger every day...I can FEEL the strength that I am gaining and my muslces building...I wish I could open a window in to my quads and watch them because I know they are just becoming awesome!!!!! I will write more later after my meeting with the trainer tonight....sooooo freaking excited about life right now I could just scream....totally different attitude than this AM....I was walking up the stairs at work when I notice my muscles and that "I" felt different and I have just been rejoicing ever since. :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't count coffee because I pretty much always drink lots of water anyway, but I think it's fair to count it or maybe count it as half a cup. It's supposedly not dehydrating unless you drink lots.

Moving is huge workout time. I've been feeling guilty because my parents are moving and I can't help them (they are far away) and they always sound so tired when we talk.

I'm excited for you and your meeting, Jodi. I think I may end up making today my off day, because I'm due for one and today is my best option, and plus I need to pick up my vegetables later and before that I sort of need to go shopping (don't want to!) because I have to get my picture taken possibly for a pretty public article about my workplace, and thus I need to get something suit-like that fits and is flattering. Sigh. I'm wishing so hard this could be put off a few months.

In other vegetable news, I'm getting some cucumbers and peppers from my mini garden that I should eat soon (I've had one cuke) and the tomatoes look promising. My strawberries appear to have been unsuccessful, but everyone around here has been telling me that this was a bad strawberry year, so I'm going with that and not my lack of a green thumb.

I did my pushup test this morning and did 10. (I could have managed more, but I should work on improving my form anyway.) So that's my starting number for the program. Looks like it goes every other day, so official day 1 is Friday. I'll do them patriotically!
  • suejoker
    Options
    OMG! You warriors are doing great! I spent most of the day running around looking at apartments, because I hope to be in a new one by August 1st. I could've walked more but, after 10,000 steps, my knees were complaining, so I started taking cabs.

Culo, I'm working with a trainer at my gym right now, but I may try New Rules of Lifting for Women once I get a good foundation. How's your leg doing, by the way?

Stephanie, that's so cool that you're getting your picture taken and an article written about your workplace! I feel you about not wanting a lot of exposure, right now though. I hope you found an outfit that made you feel better about it. Great job on the push ups! I can do 20, but it's still an effort and my form's not perfect. This month is definitely about getting stronger, for me.

Jodi, you're on fire! I'm so happy that you can feel how much stronger you're getting! I'm gonna follow your lead and feel my muscles getting stronger every day:) You know, you're speeding up your metabolism, too! Yay, you can eat more!

Veronica, I count coffee and tea as water. I usually only have 1 cup of each every day, so I don't think I have to worry about the dehydrating effect. I'm so glad you're going to jump on the lifting bandwagon, too! You know, moving furniture and boxes is all the exercise you need this week!
  • culo97
    Options
    Culo- You mentioned riding a bike. That sounds fun. I should consider getting myself on a bike, get some fresh air, wind on my face, pretty trees, yup...sounds great.
    I totally recommend it. If you're intimidated riding in traffic, I'm sure there are known bike trails near by. Here's some websites to find places to ride where you live.
    http://www.traillink.com/activity/bike-trails.aspx
    http://www.bikemap.net/en/regional/United+States/
    July Goal!
    But once that is over, weights, here I come!
    Better watch out!
    In other vegetable news, I'm getting some cucumbers and peppers from my mini garden that I should eat soon (I've had one cuke) and the tomatoes look promising. My strawberries appear to have been unsuccessful, but everyone around here has been telling me that this was a bad strawberry year, so I'm going with that and not my lack of a green thumb.

I did my pushup test this morning and did 10. (I could have managed more, but I should work on improving my form anyway.) So that's my starting number for the program. Looks like it goes every other day, so official day 1 is Friday. I'll do them patriotically!
    I love looking at other folks homegrown fruits and veggies but it never appealed to me to do it myself.

More power to you on the pushups. You can only go up from here.
    <salute>
    OMG! You warriors are doing great! I spent most of the day running around looking at apartments, because I hope to be in a new one by August 1st. I could've walked more but, after 10,000 steps, my knees were complaining, so I started taking cabs.

Culo, I'm working with a trainer at my gym right now, but I may try New Rules of Lifting for Women once I get a good foundation. How's your leg doing, by the way?
    Good luck on the apartment search, hopefully you'll find something that fits what you need. Definitely listen to your body. Pushing past the pain can do more damage than good in the long term.

Unfortunately, the hospital found that I either have a new blood clot or vein scar tissue from the old blod clot in the same leg. Regardless of which it is, my blood circulation is blocked or hindered. I'm at the beginning of blood thinner therapy, so I have to take it easy on exercising my lower body. I'm limited to upper body activities like arms and swimming at least to the end of July. Maybe August too, if they prohibit me for 2 months. Turns out that doing Focus T25 was the absolute worst thing I could have done to my leg. No wonder it made me so sick.

I'm struggling against the Coumadin side effects including joint & muscle aches, gas, fatigue and changes in the way foods taste. I've already thrown away about $50 of food so far this week because strange tastes.

Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting for my new swimsuit to arrive so I can get in the pool. I hope I like it.
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Good morning!! You are all so inspiring! It has become my morning ritual to get to work and read the latest posts in the group. Starts the day off great. Have a great one, and a Happy 4th!
  • belle_reve9
    Options
    Does anybody know some sit at a desk for 8 hours excercises? HAHA! I mean, things you an do while just sitting here...without looking like a fool to anyone that may walk by. :)
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Does anybody know some sit at a desk for 8 hours excercises? HAHA! I mean, things you an do while just sitting here...without looking like a fool to anyone that may walk by. :)

I will find the link from MFP and email it to you. It has like 20 awesome things to do!!!!