Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• NellD65
    NellD65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Nell, I had my Sleeve done on Feb.12, 2014. It's the day I got my life back. I was a what I call the death cocktail of medications-at 48 years old, I was MUCH to young to take so much! I was on 60 units a day of insulin, 1.8 Victoza, 2000mg metformin, lisinopril 10mg for the kidneys, levoxyl to jump start my thyroid, and vitamin D 2000mg. I am happy to say I am totally off everything! As of this morning, I am 90lbs down. My HbA1c was 6.6-but my Dr said not to worry as that is without meds and it's coming down from the 7.7 with ALL the meds-she feels it'll be in the normal range by my next lab work in the fall as my body adjusts to the new me.

Happy to meet you all-can't wait to hear and learn more from all of you!
  • xlollipunk
    xlollipunk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am currently in my hospital bed. I had my surgery yesterday, 7/22/2014. Still in quite a but of pain, but I truly believe this is the key to reaching my goal of 120 lbs.

I always.fought with being a little over-weight since I was in first grade. I started my first.diet in 8th grade and became a healthy weight. I went up and down throughout high school ranging between 150 and 120.. I'm 5'4, so you can kind of imagine my body size. After high school, I decided.to get on a birth control shot. I gained 50lbs in two months. From.there i grew lethargic and despite dieting, my weight continued to creep up.

When I hit 240 lbs, I decided enough was enough. I.looked into WLS. I decided on roux en-y gastric bypass and began my 6 month supervised weight-loss visits in December. I ended up at 246 lbs at my.January visit due.to holiday baking and cooking. I was ashamed because my head.hadn't been in the game. That gave me a mental push. I ended up losing 42lbs prior to my bypass, which makes me feel very.confident in my ability to reach.my personal goal of 120.
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello to All, my name is Cheryl and I had gastric bypass surgery a year ago. I have lost 125 pounds as of today and I still need to drop another 40. It has been a long road to get to this point but I am happy that I followed thru with my surgery. I had tried so many diets like most of you with never achieving any success. My biggest fear right now is not getting the last 40 pounds off. I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way who are now a year out from surgery. I am also still lossing lots of hair. I take all my bariatric vitamins, plus calcium and extra vitamin D and have been taking 4,000 mg of Biotin each day and still hair loss. I am now getting really concerned. If you have any thoughts as to what else I can do please let me know. I am getting desperate.
    Thanks folks.
  • Rachel_Louise85
    Rachel_Louise85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Rachel and I am currently on my journey to get WLS.

Had my dietitian appointment now just waiting on my psych eval. I also have to meet with the surgeon etc. I am excited but nervous. My first appointment went very well, I am a good candidate for WLS (as my Dr. said)

I am leaning toward the VSG, but I have not discounted RYGB either.

I am here to meet people who have done the surgery or maybe someone on the same journey as me. It's nice to see a group like this where we can support each other and help.
  • Nakedgrass
    Nakedgrass Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Nichole. I am on the road to RNY bypass. My surgery will be between Feb-may.
    I live with a great deal of pain and have lost a total of 30lbs since November of 2013, but things have s..l..o..w..e..d.. down quite a bit with the weight loss, despite the effort I am still putting forth. I finally broke down and decided that surgery was the only option for me, but I am seriously TERRIFIED. I just need to be here; where other people have already been through the surgery.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to this group, I'm Donna. I had the gastric sleeve done on 9/9/14. It was one of the best decisions i have ever made. It is wonderful having a group to talk about the ups and downs of what we have gone through or what is ahead.Ty everyone.
  • RobinsRNYmission
    Options
    Hi, my name is Robin. My user name on MyFitnessPal is Shph219. I have tried to change that but I have not been able to. My You Tube name and FaceBook name is Robins.RNY.Mission. I had RNY Gastric Bypass surgery on 12/10/14 by Dr. Dang at St. Mary's Medical Center in Hobart, Indiana. I have been extremely obese most of my adult life. I was not overweight growing up. In high school I was normal or average size, I was active, I was a cheerleader and in the school plays. Once I had my first child I gain weight, and I gained it fast. I would yo yo diet but could never keep it off. By highest weight recorded was on 4/1/14, I was 242.8 lbs. being only 5 foot tall that is a BMI of 47. I had Gerd, high blood pressure and pain in my feet, back and knees. I don't want to hurt any more. I want to be healthy. I am 48 years old now and I want to live to see my granddaughters grow up.
    my current weight is 196.5.
  • cougarlover
    Options
    Hi my name is Mary I have not had surgery. I want to desperately but can't afford it or get time off work just yet. Still not positive on the type I want although leaning towards the sleeve these days. Hopefully next year I will be able to schedule a surgery. Just figured I'd snoop around in here and get dome insight
  • Kay_Celeste
    Kay_Celeste Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is KayC (say K-C). I have always struggled with weight my entire life. I am 28years old, and I have been married for almost 10 years. My husband is extremely supportive, and loving. in May it will have been 2 years since we adopted (from birth) Our amazing little miracle baby boy. In December 2014 I had gastric sleeve surgery at Virginia Mason hospital in Seattle. I have lost 40lbs (as of Feb 9th 15) and I am feeling great. I am learning through my nutritionist that I only need 800-1000 calories a day which was news to me- totally thought I was supposed to be shooting for more. Life is so interesting! :-) MFP has helped me so much this past month and I am excited to continue using it. :smile:
  • Skrymmorie
    Skrymmorie Posts: 30 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, my name is Frances. I've been overweight pretty much all my life. I tried a lot of dieting over the years, sometimes with my mom, sometimes on my own, or alongside friends, but I could never hit the weight loss goals I wanted, and would eventually become demotivated and gain any loss back, and then some. In July 2014, I had VSG after playing with the idea for years. I finally made the decision because I hit 430 lbs at 28 yrs old. I managed to lose 19 lbs prior to surgery, making me 411 lbs, but since surgery, now 7 months out, I still have only managed a grand total of weight loss of 65 lbs, including my pre-op loss. I lost my dad 3 months after surgery, and he was my biggest supporter in my weight loss, and in December, I got engaged. I lost my motivation last year after my dad died, and have been trying to get it back. I am going to start back tracking my eating on MFP, but I don't generally eat much anyway. I know my biggest hurdle to overcome is to get active. I feel like my body has accommodated my decreased calorie intake by just slowing my calorie burn, and I need to get in gear to up my expenditure. I'm hoping joining this group will help motivate me to work out more, and get back in the mindset that led me to getting surgery in the first place.
  • MRS1TAS
    MRS1TAS Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello My name is Tammy. I never had a serious problem with weight until I was in my 30's. A year after my second child was born I started slowly putting on weight. I went from 145 pounds to 337 pounds over a 19 year period. That's averaging 10.10 pounds per year. You think 10 pounds a year isn't very much. But it sneaks up on you.

I had always been very healthy and active. But with 2 kids and 2 jobs, a husband to take care of; I got to where I just didn't take time for myself. We were very busy. But not the kind of busy that keeps you healthy. I always took time to make good healthy dinners for my family. It was important to me that my kids did not grow up on fast food. But I wound up skippping meals. You know, not starting my day with a good breakfast. Skipping lunch. By the time we got home from all the after school activities sometimes it would be after 9pm before we sat down to eat our supper. As a result I developed diabetes. I suffer from sleep apnea. I wound up not being able to walk through my house without being out of breath. I would never go shopping with my ladies group from church just because I wasn't able to do the walking. I couldn't sweep and mop the floors in my house without feeling like I was going to pass out. In 2008 I had quit my job because I was having so much trouble with my back. Suffered from drepression. There is more but this in of itself is enough.

I finally decided to let go of my fear and have the gastric by-pass. No matter how hard I had tried to lose weight even being monitored by my doctor, I would put on weight. One month while on a 1200 calorie "diabetic diet" I gained 25 pounds and that was following the diet to the letter. Scared me to death. On August 21, 2014 I had my surgery. I can happily say that I have now lost a total of 60 pounds so far. For the first time in 19 years I am actually going down in weight instead of up. I can finally breath again without pain. I don't have near the amount of pain I had in my chest, legs, back and feet. It is wonderful. I have a ways to go still. But the improvement is amazing. I am now able to take my dogs for a walk around the neighbor. A year ago I couldn't do that.

I am in my 50's now. And I can't wait to see the adventures I have before me now.
  • MRS1TAS
    MRS1TAS Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello to All, my name is Cheryl and I had gastric bypass surgery a year ago. I have lost 125 pounds as of today and I still need to drop another 40. It has been a long road to get to this point but I am happy that I followed thru with my surgery. I had tried so many diets like most of you with never achieving any success. My biggest fear right now is not getting the last 40 pounds off. I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way who are now a year out from surgery. I am also still lossing lots of hair. I take all my bariatric vitamins, plus calcium and extra vitamin D and have been taking 4,000 mg of Biotin each day and still hair loss. I am now getting really concerned. If you have any thoughts as to what else I can do please let me know. I am getting desperate.
    Thanks folks.

I to noticed I was losing a lot of hair within 2mos of my surgery. In january I went to GNC and got on a regimine of a chewable form of hair skin and nails vitamins that is called GNCwellbeing-be-beautiful. then I went to the local sally's beauty supply store and got a shampoo and conditioner called FOLICURE. I have been using it for 2 months now. I hardly lose any hair now. I was pulling out at least 3 large clumps every time I would shampoo. I hope this helps if you decide to give it a try. Of course you don't have to try the GNC brand but try a brand that is equivalent. Go online and check it out.
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is a normal result of the biological changes in your body. I was warned my hair would start to "thin" anywhere from 2 - 6 months following surgery and would continue until the body was able to maintain a healthy balance of proteins. At about 5 or 6 months mine started coming out. My thick head of hair became thinner. So I cut it and prayed. Took about 6 months, right on target, my hair stopped thinning. Protein is essential for WLS patients. (although everything else is too) Our bodies are different now. We digest differently, we absorb differently. My nutritionist put me on 70mg of protein daily, absolutely to not drop below 50mg daily. Um...it does. My fault. I have a really difficult time absorbing vitamins of any kind, so mine is a bit more extreme for my limits.

It sounds like Folicure is a great product, but if you don't treat the cause, it's always going to be there. I may try it to see if I can get some more thickness back. I miss my thick hair!!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • kimpossible5X
    kimpossible5X Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kim. I am currently considering bariatric (gastric bypass) surgery and have scheduled appointments with the necessary physicians to get the ball rolling. :)
  • juliehawknz
    juliehawknz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I had gastric bypass surgery in April of 2013, so I'm just over 2 years out. My surgery weight was 238# but I had been up as high as 265# at one point in my life. I lost most of my weight in the first 9 months after surgery and maintained between 136-140# for about a year. Within the last month I gained 8# and I'm now 146-ish. I have decided that I need to get back on track with my eating and get my head on straight so I am looking for all the support I can get.
  • mandajewell
    mandajewell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new to this group and to the community side of MFP. I'm considering WLS and am currently waiting for my initial appointment - I've been waiting a year for my appointment.

I've always been heavy and I don't know life without diets, shame, and feeling depressed about my body. I've tried your typical things like weight watchers, Jenny Craig, and MFP. It usually works for a while then I fall off track as I lose motivation with my slow results. I'm trying to get over that and just focus on being healthy in hopes of losing weight without obsession. I have a long way to go - 135 lbs to be exact - and perhaps a community will help.

Thanks for reading!
  • Angieglawrence
    Angieglawrence Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I my name is Angie Lawrence and I am schedules for Surgery on Dec 22nd, 2015.
  • sarafer1
    sarafer1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Sara and I'm 11 days post op from RNY. All is fine so far, but struggling a bit to get the hang of what I should be eating!
  • RiottGirl73
    RiottGirl73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I'm Erin, I had RNY on Jan 13, 2012. I lost 160 lbs and kept most of it off, but have recently regained about 40 lbs, so I'm trying to get that back off before it invites some friends. I'm enjoying my usual active lifestyle and just making some tweaks to my eating habits now. It's good to have an extra tool in my arsenal.

In my spare time, I'm an amateur pin-up model, obsessive dog person, and bride-to-be (September 18). I'm always looking for new friends. Hit me up if you're a like-minded individual!
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Sandi, I had lapband done in aug 2010. Lost some weight then gained it back. I had my band converted to a sleeve in sept 2015. I have lost a good amount then it just stopped. I have platooned after only 6 months. But I am happier now then I have been in years. I workout 6 days a week and eat so much protein as I can. I have my ups and downs and am trying to maintain the best I can. Thanks