Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    W6D3 completed this morning with a better pace than last weeks W5D3 effort last week. I have enjoyed being outside after the gyms air on broke. The dreadmill just got worse and worse. Looking forward to finishing week 8 and then using zen labs C210k to continue. I queried being able to do this and Stronglifts 5x5 but it seems ok, 6 weeks in
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    W7D3 completed! I felt slower this morning then Tuesday and I was. (According to my runkeeper that I use for my pace, distance and calories) I felt like I just couldn't go faster today. Oh well. I still ran. :happy:

My roommate lent me a pair of compression socks. Didn't help. Two new blisters today. (Or just ones that re-formed) Oh well. With becoming a runner, I guess I'm going to need to put up with them.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I'm on W9D2. However, I found myself walking part of W9D1, so I'm thinking about redoing at least that if not W8... I'm not sure what changed, but I went from being happily able to run the whole time to getting about 3/4 of the way and saying "screw this". lol

That said, I did a 5K on Sunday which was very hilly and rainy. I did slip a little and twist my ankle, which has given me a reason not to go out in the disgusting humidity these last few days... but now I'm feeling antsy.

Would you guys suggest backtracking to W8 at this point?
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    W6D3 completed this morning with a better pace than last weeks W5D3 effort last week. I have enjoyed being outside after the gyms air on broke. The dreadmill just got worse and worse. Looking forward to finishing week 8 and then using zen labs C210k to continue. I queried being able to do this and Stronglifts 5x5 but it seems ok, 6 weeks in

I'm doing SLs too (almost 11 weeks) and like the combo. I try really hard to run on days I don't lift, but it doesn't always work out. There have been days that I've run in the morning and then lifted at night and I was fine.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm on W9D2. However, I found myself walking part of W9D1, so I'm thinking about redoing at least that if not W8... I'm not sure what changed, but I went from being happily able to run the whole time to getting about 3/4 of the way and saying "screw this". lol

That said, I did a 5K on Sunday which was very hilly and rainy. I did slip a little and twist my ankle, which has given me a reason not to go out in the disgusting humidity these last few days... but now I'm feeling antsy.

Would you guys suggest backtracking to W8 at this point?

I wouldn't. Maybe just slow down a little.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    W7D3 completed! I felt slower this morning then Tuesday and I was. (According to my runkeeper that I use for my pace, distance and calories) I felt like I just couldn't go faster today. Oh well. I still ran. :happy:

My roommate lent me a pair of compression socks. Didn't help. Two new blisters today. (Or just ones that re-formed) Oh well. With becoming a runner, I guess I'm going to need to put up with them.

I know you're getting the blisters on your toes, but where on your toes? Top, bottom, sides (where they rub against each other) the end of them? Location of the blisters may help with solution.
    I've been lucky and haven't had to deal with blisters yet. Just a hot spot on arm :(
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Did w3d1 Wednesday and w3d2 Thursday. I couldn't believe I was able to run 3 minutes straight! Getting pretty confident!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    W7D2 in the books! Much easier today but I made sure to properly hydrate beforehand. Plus, the weather was nice and cool this morning instead of hot and muggy.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    W9d1 done. It's funny to me that I've gone from OMG, I'll never be able to run 20 minutes without stopping to sure, I can run 30 minutes straight.

I run longer on either Friday or Saturday so today I ended up doing 4 miles in 1h2m. I walked the first 5 min then the 5 min cool down then ran again but walked another 2 min toward the end. I really want to improve my time, but figure a 15 min mile with some walking and pushing a jogging stroller is ok with me.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

I'm doing SLs too (almost 11 weeks) and like the combo. I try really hard to run on days I don't lift, but it doesn't always work out. There have been days that I've run in the morning and then lifted at night and I was fine.

I went the other way, I will only run after lifting or on non lifting days. The thought of lifting with burning legs is just not in my definition of fun. Each to their own. Glad you enjoy it too.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    W9d1 done. It's funny to me that I've gone from OMG, I'll never be able to run 20 minutes without stopping to sure, I can run 30 minutes straight.

I run longer on either Friday or Saturday so today I ended up doing 4 miles in 1h2m. I walked the first 5 min then the 5 min cool down then ran again but walked another 2 min toward the end. I really want to improve my time, but figure a 15 min mile with some walking and pushing a jogging stroller is ok with me.

One of my neighbours goes running with 2 kids in a Bill and Ted buggy. You and he have my utter admiration. Good job
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    W9D2 yesterday. Felt better than expected, but I think I need a new path... this one is getting really, really old. :)
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Completed W6D3 today. I also just realized that with me repeating week 4, and getting sick right after my first week 1 and waiting a week to restart, that the 5K I am registered for is 2 days after I complete W8D3. Ooops, but 2 out of the 3 weeks I was delayed weren't really my fault!

Ah well, at least it isn't a race, it is just a fun run/obstacle course 5K
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Completed W6D3 today. I also just realized that with me repeating week 4, and getting sick right after my first week 1 and waiting a week to restart, that the 5K I am registered for is 2 days after I complete W8D3. Ooops, but 2 out of the 3 weeks I was delayed weren't really my fault!

Ah well, at least it isn't a race, it is just a fun run/obstacle course 5K

Sounds like good contingency planning. Well done and enjoy it in a couple of weeks
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Nice running everyone!

Hi Toni :) Glad to see you here.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D3 this morning. The weather was AWESOME!!! I can not ever remember a July like this one in SW Tennessee!!! Love it!!
    The app I use is Zenlabs. It only goes through 8 weeks so next week at this time, it says I will "graduate"!!! Woohoo!!!!
    Can't decide to continue running the C25K to improve my speed (I'm really slow!) or move on to the 10K trainer.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D3 this morning. The weather was AWESOME!!! I can not ever remember a July like this one in SW Tennessee!!! Love it!!
    The app I use is Zenlabs. It only goes through 8 weeks so next week at this time, it says I will "graduate"!!! Woohoo!!!!
    Can't decide to continue running the C25K to improve my speed (I'm really slow!) or move on to the 10K trainer.
    Well done. Keep building distance, I wouldn't repeat C25K but would move on.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

A more seasoned runner may elaborate but I intend to graduate to the zenlabs C210K, well I'm doing it already as the first 8 weeks is C25K. My understanding is that as a "beginner/ novice" my speed will increase as a result of doing more volume, which is what C210K does. I will be interested to read about your final choice, but it's longer distances for me. YIPPEE!!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    W7D1 done, very tired from wandering around in VFFs for 2 miles yesterday, felt fine at the time, but top of calves and left heel tight and a little sore this morning. However pushed through the nagging feelings this morning to complete. No VFFs today.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

A more seasoned runner may elaborate but I intend to graduate to the zenlabs C210K, well I'm doing it already as the first 8 weeks is C25K. My understanding is that as a "beginner/ novice" my speed will increase as a result of doing more volume, which is what C210K does. I will be interested to read about your final choice, but it's longer distances for me. YIPPEE!!

For a novice runner most speed gains come from increasing mileage. I found that when I started 10K training I moved from a 12 minute mile to a 10 minute mile. As I'm working on a half marathon plan I've improved that to a consistent 9 minute mile and I'm hoping to get to eight and a half for half marathon distance.

The result on shorter runs is that my 5K time has improved significantly, while I don't train at 5Km distance at the moment, when I do a shorter run I can rack up the speed and am approaching a 22min 5K.