August workout check-in thread - August one more rep!

Options

Replies

• Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yay for bumping up the reps on the OHP too!! I'm getting good at this bumping thing. lol

goblet squats - 5x8 with 20lbs dumbbell
    OHP - empty bar 5x7 oh my gawd the last one was hell but i got it!!!
    Deadlift warm up then 1x5 @ 95lbs

@canadianlbs resting is very important. you'll be glad you did!

Have a great day everyone :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Shtallionchick14
    Shtallionchick14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This burpee challenge sounds interesting. I think I'll pass. :)

Yesterday, I got my new rack and bench put together, all by myself, with only a little help from husband to help do the top because I couldn't reach.

After it was put together, I lifted. I did Workout A for the second time:

Squat - 55 5x5
    BP - 50 5x5
    Row - 70 5x5
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Totally spaced yesterday on my check in..it's been one of those weeks.

Workout B yesterday...on a deload still...self imposed just feeling "tired" this week.

Squats 3x5@150 but 2min rests
    OHP 3x5@80lbs 3min rests
    DL 1x5@180lbs...

Still can feel it at those weights but it's not "draining"...looking forward to switching to Wendler in Sept.

Then took a walk trying to calibrate my jawbone...screwed it up but still got a walk in.

I won last week at work on the walking challenage (just for the week tho) 120k steps so they gave me 25$..Yah me.

Oh and if anyone uses jawbone and wants to add friends my email is stefcgreen@hotmail.com
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @fittree- I don't have bands to do that but i think i will get some. I just do some where i have my feet really for forward on my bench so i don't have all my weight to lift. The first day after i did them i thought what the hell did i do yesterday that i am so sore. HAHA Guess it did something.

Yeah, don't count me in on the burpee challenge. I may be stupid but i'm not crazy!

Little one took his first nap early, so i got my workout in sooner than expected.
    deloading a little with my diet break and hopeing my shoulder will feel better with less to do.
    Squat 105 5x5
    bench 65 5x5
    row 75 5x5
    with a 90 sec break between them all since i feel like im slacking on the weight side.

SC week 8 day 1
    barbell hip thrust 70 3x12
    front squat 45 3x12
    RDL 110 3x12
    banded abduction 30

Poor dude is on his second nap with his 103 temp. Something viral they think so far. Poor kid is feeling crappy. Even when he had RSV he had more energy. :frown: Wish i could take it from him.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Today was workout B
    Squat 90lbs 5x5
    OHP 65lbs 5x5-last set was horrible. Hubby was there yelling in my face. If he hadn't been there, I would not have gotten all 5 reps. Staying at this weight for next time.
    DL 115 lbs 5x1

Then I did that 100 burpee challenge immediately after. 11:06. I had to take lots of breaks, doubled over trying not to puke. But-I decided today I'm going to somehow incorporate this into my exercises because I HATED the way my gut hitting my knees felt.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Props to all of you doing the burpee challenge. I got more than enough of them during boot camp, so I'm leery of them now. Also, I'm totally using my broken toe as an excuse. :laugh:

I just wanted to post to let you know how much I appreciate all of you in the group. You're all inspirations to me, and while I'm still relatively new at posting here, I've been reading for a while. I never realized how much of a difference weight training can be, and every single one of you is amazing. :flowerforyou:

I may have had a bottle of wine, but I promise it was in my calories for the week. :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    If he hadn't been there, I would not have gotten all 5 reps.

. . . oh okay; the good kind of yelling, i guess. i guess you weren't motivated to get the bar up for that last rep just you could drop it on his head then.

i rode my bike. yuppers. i think i'm still kind of disappointed or coming to terms with the way i thought lifting would make me more of a fiend on the bike . . . because i'd be stronger and all. well, i am stronger, as far as plain muscle goes, but it's more like i'm having to share the same amount of energy out between both of them. so my biking is taking a hit in order to make room for lifts.

i'm not complaining because i could always quit one or the other if it bugged me that much . . . but it is true that instead of getting easier as i expected it would, it's become a bit more of a slog.

also, i'm a couple pounds heavier this week than last :cry:
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If he hadn't been there, I would not have gotten all 5 reps.

. . . oh okay; the good kind of yelling, i guess. i guess you weren't motivated to get the bar up for that last rep just you could drop it on his head then.

i rode my bike. yuppers. i think i'm still kind of disappointed or coming to terms with the way i thought lifting would make me more of a fiend on the bike . . . because i'd be stronger and all. well, i am stronger, as far as plain muscle goes, but it's more like i'm having to share the same amount of energy out between both of them. so my biking is taking a hit in order to make room for lifts.

i'm not complaining because i could always quit one or the other if it bugged me that much . . . but it is true that instead of getting easier as i expected it would, it's become a bit more of a slog.

also, i'm a couple pounds heavier this week than last :cry:

Yes, motivational yelling for sure. He grew up in Moscow, so his accent makes yelling an even more effective motivator. He is a fairly quiet man otherwise. But he knows I'm serious about getting fit, and he's fit so I figure I better listen to him.

You really shouldn't worry about a few pounds-it most like is water weight from your training and perhaps you have eaten more sodium than usual? I read an article the other day written by Lyle McDonald about how women should only weigh once per month, at the same time in their cycle b/c of this. I found it through one of those "guide to sexypants" type of posts. It was interesting and also talked about retaining water in your muscles when you are training and getting a "whoosh" of weight loss a few weeks after starting weight training. I will try to find it later today and inbox it to you.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout A (Fri) Yes! another squat weight increase.

overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 120

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 80

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 90

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 160

squats 5 X 5 - 170

flys 5 x 10 - 40
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    It was workout A for me today.

Squats: warm up + 5x5@103
    Bench: warm up + 5,3@58.5, 1@58 (disaster)
    Row: warm up, 3x5@68.5
    Burpees: 100 @ 11:27 (I needed breaks lol)
    30 body weight squats

My squat form was a lot better today. I just want to be comfortable and confident in moving up in weights without compromising form. I don't even know what happened to my bench today. I just puttered out on them :sad: I did some extra workouts today because I felt like I needed to make up for my sad bench press haha.

Have a great weekend!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I will try to find it later today and inbox it to you.

thanks . . . i think i've probably seen it, so if it's going to take up too much of your day, then don't worry about it. as far as his prescription for once-a-month . . . well, i guess i'm just a little tired of women being told by men about everything women should do, not to mention that at my age the concept of 'cycles' might not even be a terribly relevant thing. i wouldn't know since i use a bc option that has let me off that hook since they first put it in.

guess i'd see a point to monthly weigh-in if i had no prior day-to-day-patterns experience to draw on here. but i have been weighing myself every day for a couple of months, and so i do know that this is anomalous. it most probably is just my body's response to me getting serious again after a week or two of being off/lifting light, but i guess i won't feel like i can confidently believe that until it proves itself by going away. it could have something to do with me suddenly deciding to play around with the idea of carb cycling too, right at around the same time.

or, i dunno. not that i want to burden you with tmi but <crude joke alert> it's also possible that i'm just full of ****. </cja>
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Lord. I feel so dramatic lately. Just have all this crap going on and I'm trying to stay sane. Going through the divorce, dealing with my stupid dramatic family "going through it". I want to be like wah wah, why do you guys feel so sad over it? My ex NEVER made an effort to be part of my family and he was controlling/emotionally abusive to me. Which they didn't know at the time (but a couple family members assumed), but they know NOW, so why the drama? I would figure they would be happy for me that I'm happy, but whatever.

Okay.

Regardless of the 5 hour sleep last night. Regardless of the stupid late night phone calls and texts last night and dealing with some issues with my girlfriend because of all this (it's hard on her sometimes). Regardless of the fact I was nervous to do my 185 pound deadlifts because that was the weight in which I hurt my back...I did it. I went to the gym, I did it.

Squats: 165lbs 5x5
    OHP: SERIOUSLY PROUD HERE GUYS, I was stalled out and deloaded from 80 before. 80lbs 5xFREAKING5
    DL: 185lbs 1x5

Then did 3 rounds of this with my trainer:
    10 power cleans @70lbs
    15 over the bar burpees
    20 box jumps

Now I'm too tired to think, about to shower and eat, then off to celebrate my friend's birthday with pedicures.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Wow suremeansyes that sucks. :( Maybe they're feeling guilty because they did suspect something, but didn't do anything about it and it's manifesting itself in weird ways.

Props to all your burpeeing *****es. I have like NO conditioning which is why I'm working on it now. I did 7 swings+7 burpees 5 times on Monday and it took me like 12 minutes.

I was so busy this week I didn't post my wed or thurs workouts.

Wed-Deads
    45x10, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 260x3, 295x6

Reverse box hyper
    4x10

Prowler 135lbs on turfx 7
    High handles down+low handles back

Thurs- OHP
    45x10, 65x5, 75x3, 80x10

Supersets x3
    Dips various weights/reps
    Pu various weights/reps
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hi all

@suremean - sorry to hear about all the dramaz! Families are strange aren't they?

Back to lifting today after a week off to heal my back. Back feels about 80% so took a major deload on everything and felt good

Squat 5x5 @ 120lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 55lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 77lbs

Then some mucking around with reverse (negative?) chin ups, single leg squats and lat pull downs.

Feeling great! I forget how different I feel when I can lift and lift well. It's been a hard rest week lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @sure sometimes family sucks. Sorry they are making a difficult time even harder on you.
    @canadian I agree, that once a month weigh in thing struck a chord with me too. Less data is never the answer

My last SL workout for the next little while. B

Squat 155 3x5
    Ohp 70lbs 3/3/2 55lbs 2x5
    Dl 1x5 175
    Sldl 3x8 135lbs
    Glute bridges 3x10 155 lbs

Start wendlers 5/3/1 next week. Much excite.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Finished off the first week of this Wendler's cycle.

OHP: warm up + 5x50, 5x60, 10x65
    DL: warm up + 5x125, 5x145, 8x160

No desire to do any accessories today. Also, I'm taking a break from cutting for a few weeks and am going to try intermittent fasting at the same time. I want to get my upper body lifts into the triple digits!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    OHP: SERIOUSLY PROUD HERE GUYS, I was stalled out and deloaded from 80 before. 80lbs 5xFREAKING5

this. right here, this . . . is spectacular. such a high five.

on the family stuff and the . . . family stuff . . . everyone and his dog has to have an opinion, don't they. that kind of thing is such a drain, but it sounds like once it's all dealt with you're just going to feel so much better in so many ways. probably some of them you haven't even thought of yet, if my similar experiences are worth anything. so there's that to look forward to and to keep you trucking.

my day: workout a.

squats: 3x4@45, 1x5@55, 5x5@75. same as last time, by intention. not easy, i could feel sweat running down my legs inside my pants, but they felt better than last time and i'm not trying to progress with squats yet. starting to feel like they'll feel pretty good if i stay at this weight for the next workout as i'm planning to do. 80 was where i hurt myself and i really want to be stronger before i try to go there again.

bench press: i did 2x5 at 45 to warm up, and then 5x5 at SIXTY. sixty pounds!! the very last few reps really weren't easy, but i feel like i held my form well through them all, and i kept the bar under better control the whole time than i ever have before. i dunno, though . . . maybe someone can chime in for me here. i narrowed my grip to about what i use for ohp, and it felt a lot safer for my iffy shoulder - but it also felt like a lot more of the lift was coming from my front delts, which could completely explain how i managed it. am i bypassing my pecs too much by using a shoulder-width grip? i'm going to stay at 60 next workout, but now i'm not sure about whether this workout even counted for brag/progress purposes. off to cruise youtube, i guess.

rows: still hatin' rows. they just make me ANGRY. i went so far as to put in a formal feedback card to say that we HAVE TO HAVE BUMPER PLATES, as a (swear words) safety-is-all-about-learning-good-form thing for newer lifters. i got through around 4 sets of 5 at 65 that almost killed me because of what i had to do with my legs to get my back parallel with little 10lb plates on their curl bar. then i lost my temper again and moved up to 25 plates after all, with a few booster pads. ended up doing another full 5x5 at 70, which is a 10lb jump instead of just 5.

and then because of that weak left shoulder, i did 5x5 extra one-armed rows on the left side with a 25lb kettlebell. i just don't feel like that shoulder is getting itself in on the act. i may start doing my rows one arm at a time all the time, actually.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

rows: still hatin' rows. they just make me ANGRY. i went so far as to put in a formal feedback card to say that we HAVE TO HAVE BUMPER PLATES, as a (swear words) safety-is-all-about-learning-good-form thing for newer lifters. i got through around 4 sets of 5 at 65 that almost killed me because of what i had to do with my legs to get my back parallel with little 10lb plates on their curl bar. then i lost my temper again and moved up to 25 plates after all, with a few booster pads. ended up doing another full 5x5 at 70, which is a 10lb jump instead of just 5.

and then because of that weak left shoulder, i did 5x5 extra one-armed rows on the left side with a 25lb kettlebell. i just don't feel like that shoulder is getting itself in on the act. i may start doing my rows one arm at a time all the time, actually.

A few of the ladies in here (myself included) did find that single-arm rows drastically helped with the Pendlay rows. If you don't full on switch, at least do them as accessories. :smile:
  • starmickey03
    starmickey03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Workout A yesterday:

Squats 145 lbs 5x5
    Barbell Rows 95 lbs 5x5
    Bench Press 80 lbs 5x5

Adductors 120 lbs 3x10
    Some miscellaneous shoulder work
    And 15 mins on the stairmaster at speed intervals
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a wasted day, as apparently a bottle of wine after losing 40+ pounds is not the same as it used to be. I feel stupid now, but at least hopefully I've learned my lesson and not do that again.

Workout A today.

Squats - warmup + 5x5x90 - Form was better, but I still want to try one more time.
    Bench - warmup + 5x5x75 - Nailed it this time. I feel good about moving up next workout.
    Row - warmup + 5x5x75 - Not my favorite exercise, but did well.

I totally did not feel like workout out today. I don't know if it's leftover grumpiness or growing grumpiness from having to work all weekend, but I thought about cutting sets today. I pushed through it, though, and doing well on the bench really made me want to finish everything properly.

I think one more full week off from running, and then I'm going to try getting back to it. It's finally starting to not hurt, so hopefully things are healing okay.