MFP LaVuelta Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Even with taking 6 days off for being sick, this has by far been my best challenge... I'm still not the fastest, furthest or highest, but I've ridden consistently and well and felt as if I contributed for a change. Thanks again Mark for doing these!
  • Bram61
    Bram61 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bike in for a 'quick' service today. Quick, it turns out means see you next Friday! My second road bike was lent to a nephew two years ago and has never to be seen again! I have however found a rusty old mountain bike at the back of the shed which will have to do for the next few days. Just been out to give it a go. Urgh!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Team 4,
    It seems the past 2 weeks long work hours and the sun going down earlier have conspired against me.
    I really would like to have logged more miles and climbed many more feet.
    I do feel however that you have all inspired me greatly and my cycling fitness as a noob has increased quite a bit in the past 3 weeks. I will not be riding today as i have another long day at work and tonight i will be making the 3 hour drive up to the Adirondacks after work. Tomorrow will be a rest day for me to prepare for the 66.5km cycling event with 663 meters of climbing that i will be participating in this Sunday in Schroon Lake, NY. This event will be my longest ride yet with the most climbing i have ever done on a single ride. Here is the link for the route:

http://www.strava.com/routes/795964

My only question is now that i have the cycling bug what the hell am i supposed to do over the tough northeast winter??

Bill, no worries on the miles, we all do what we can, when we can. I told you you'd be able to do the 66k ride, good on you for signing up for it!!! You'll do fine :smile:

As Cloggsy said, shorter rides and turbo training for the winter. Also make sure you get some good winter cycling clothes, they are very effective and so long as it's not snowy/icy out you will have no problem riding in temps down to freezing. (that's my personal limit but I know plenty of nut jobs that ride at arctic temps!!

You get to work on other aspects of riding in the winter...balance when riding on ice, spinning when riding in snow, working the upper body to maintain momentum in the snow and generally HTFU by riding in freezing temps. It's about mindset. You're not going to be riding fast or far when the weather turns but it is doable. There's lots of gear out there to use (especially with the fat biking explosion) and even more gear if you think outside the box to stay warm. If you really adventurous there are studded tires and fat bikes. Because my bike is my car (for the most part) I commute year round, even in the winter, even with snow and ice, even down to -4F (before wind chill). You learn a little bit each time you go out and get better.
    Bike in for a 'quick' service today. Quick, it turns out means see you next Friday!

Sounds like my local shop!

Fighting (still?) a bit of a cold so will be taking it easy to end out the Challenge, sorry Team 1 I was kind of a lead anchor this round through. Mechanicals (and not having enough $$$ to fix quick) suck.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,197 Member
    Options
    My apologies to team Pastana. I've tried to get a rental and it didn't work out. I'll be in classes all tomorrow and traveling Sunday so I'm out. Sorry guys.

Dean
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Cheers Dean - I'll udate the Spreadsheet to show DNR's for the rest of the challenge - Thanks for letting us know!

Spreadsheet now up-to-date (as of 23:20 UK Time)
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Well - I think that's me in the Clubhouse for the Challenge.

At the start of the year, knowing full well I can't compete with some of you for the Jersey competitions, I set myself a couple of goals

1) To Try and Ride Every Stage of each Grand Tour
    2) To Try and Ride at least 1/3 of the Race Distance Overall.

I don't often go in for blowing my own trumpet, but... I'm happy to say I've hit both those targets.

It's been great riding (virtually) alongside you all - and I hope you've all had as much "fun"* as I have from it.

I can tell though that I'm ready for a break from the bike, as I've actually spent the last 2 days riding daydreaming about renovating my bike-cave rather than actually being out riding the bike... When Electrical Works and Plastering are more fun than riding the bike, it's time to step out of the Sidi's for a few days.

*okay, some of the days in the Giro when it was raining continually for over a week weren't QUITE fun...
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    And me back in the clubhouse as well. A BIG THANK YOU once again to Mark for organising this, I find it motivates me to get out in an evening when I'd rather just fester after a tough day at work.

Got to say this has been my most enjoyable challenge.

Chapeau to the rest of Team FDS. Every single one of us did out bit. We managed two laps AND managed to complete the total climb as well.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    That's me across the line too. Definitely the toughest 3 weeks on the bike for me but really enjoyable. Many thanks to Mark for organising the challenge and maintaining the spreadsheet (ably assisted by Clive and Fran :smile: ). It is the organisation that makes this a special challenge and allows for the building of team spirit and encouragement to get out and ride.

The Parma Hamsters were a little unlucky with a number of injuries and other life events taking some of the Hamsters out of the race for long periods of time. With a full complement we may have been a force to be reckoned with!! #ProudtobeaHamster
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,197 Member
    Options
    Getting a chance to catch up while sitting in the airport for an eight hour layover. Great challenge Mark! It really has been fun and challenging. I want to thank everyone for a fun challenge but especially the administrators for all the work they put in crunching numbers. A big hand to Mark for getting it going and especially for never missing a day. That was incredible! All three challenges! My hat is off to you Mark.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    proud to ride with you all.

/end
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    When Electrical Works and Plastering are more fun than riding the bike, it's time to step out of the Sidi's for a few days.

*okay, some of the days in the Giro when it was raining continually for over a week weren't QUITE fun...
    I hear ya mate... I'm looking forward to a few days out too... I'm absolutely knackered; my legs are like lumps of lead!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm in the club house now too. Wish I had been able to contribute more, but life gets in the way.

Thank you for all the shared rides; it was fun.

Also thanks to the Big Yin, and all the other editors. Your contributions are not forgotten and are appreciated.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    In the clubhouse, and even dragged my laptop home so I could enter my weekend rides so as not to hold up TBY... Great challenge as always. Great to be part of such a wonderful team!.

Like Mark I knew I couldn't compete with the big dogs so I had my own goals for this one...
    1. Ride as many kms as Jennifer.
    2. To climb as many kms as Karan.
    3. To be the fastest lady...

Missed every single one, but had a blast trying... Thanks for pushing me ladies!
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sorry Team FDS. My ride for yesterday in the pouring rain is in my Garmin but none of the computers I've tried (with different cables) will recognize the Garmin. I had to log DNR for yesterday but it looks like it doesn't matter. You folks were awesome in closing out the challenge. I've enjoyed this challenge and I feel like everyone really was active and working as a team. I am officially looking forward to 2015 and Giro (hint, hint TBY)
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    As the only antipodean, I had a blast, considering that Giro was at the end Autumn, Tour deepest darkest Winter and Vuelta in the beginning of Spring. None of these seasons are really conducive for bike riding, however feeling like I was letting the side down kept me interested and wanting to ride. It also made me feel guilty for not riding.
    I would like to thank you, Mark and the rest of the Admins for the most enjoyable year that I have had on a bike to date. As I move into summer I will endeavour to post pictures of the sunshine to get you all through the Northern winter.

As a side note, we need to find my southern hemisphere riders – my thought for the day

Looking forward to next year, to do it all over again, only faster and better.:smile:
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It was an honour to be the Captain of the #1TeamTwo. A clean sheet with each and every member doing their bit is a rare entity!
    A BIG Thank-You to the organiser TBY and his minions ;):drinker: without whom these challenges would not be as special as they are.

As planned, this challenge was exactly what i needed to motivate me back onto the bike and get me through the MTB event that fell on the final day of the challenge "The Brecon Beast". It's the 3rd year i have attended this event and i usually complete the long course, but yesterday i chose to ride the short course instead. (a wise decision!). I finished 79th out of 399 others who rode the short course but what i love about this event (when compared to a road event) is the camaraderie. The atmosphere is a lot more friendly and i think i will be getting back onto the MTB a lot more. I am planning on weight lifting over the autumn/winter instead of cycling once i complete my final sportive of the year in two weeks time, but i think i can still have time for the MTB to mix things up a bit and this should not effect my strength training as much as i believe the road bike could?
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Your team absolutely 'SMASHED IT' FDS!

Excellent team performance IMHO! :drinker:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    We may have finished riding folks - but if everyone who hasn't already posted their final rides or DNS notices in the logging thread could do so ASAP so we can get the whole spreadsheet finalised and I can begin to check all the "jersey qualifiying rides"...

Cheers folks
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Your team absolutely 'SMASHED IT' FDS!

Excellent team performance IMHO! :drinker:

Seconded! Chapeau Team FDS!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Well - I think that's me in the Clubhouse for the Challenge.

At the start of the year, knowing full well I can't compete with some of you for the Jersey competitions, I set myself a couple of goals

1) To Try and Ride Every Stage of each Grand Tour
    2) To Try and Ride at least 1/3 of the Race Distance Overall.

I don't often go in for blowing my own trumpet, but... I'm happy to say I've hit both those targets.

It's been great riding (virtually) alongside you all - and I hope you've all had as much "fun"* as I have from it.

I can tell though that I'm ready for a break from the bike, as I've actually spent the last 2 days riding daydreaming about renovating my bike-cave rather than actually being out riding the bike... When Electrical Works and Plastering are more fun than riding the bike, it's time to step out of the Sidi's for a few days.

You were amazing riding EVERY stage of all 3 tours is no mean feat - and to motivate so many of us to get off our butts and ride above and beyond our "normal" every day stuff shouldn't be underestimated :drinker: