Beginner Team Chat Board

Options

Replies

• AnutChelle
    AnutChelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who has not done a challenge at all before, and is quite nervous about what it will be like/entail?
    I really have NO clue what to expect... and then I worry I may forget to check something, or do something.....

I have never done a challenge before on MFP either, so no worries - we are in the same boat!
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who has not done a challenge at all before, and is quite nervous about what it will be like/entail?
    I really have NO clue what to expect... and then I worry I may forget to check something, or do something.....

I have never done a challenge before on MFP either, so no worries - we are in the same boat!

Dont worry, challenges are fun and a great way to stay motivated to get off the couch during the week.
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone - I'm am super excited that this challenge is almost here (it was a LONG 7 months!!)

I've been on MFP for a while. I keep loosing and finding the same 10 lbs - and would like to ultimately loose 25 and keep it off for good. I had a hysterectomy in April and am just about back to my cardio endurance levels. We'll see what I can muster for the strength challenges.

A big thanks to Cindy and TJ for their hard work on this for us :)

~Patti
  • HarlowS
    HarlowS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    I am super stoked for the show to be back on! I have not done a Walking Dead Challenge before, but have participated in other challenges. I keep gaining and losing the same little bit so I am trying to get over this hurdle. My fitness level varies, so I figured I would start at the lowest and see what happens.
    I cannot wait to work with you guys. I am all for Team Carol!
  • julebg79
    julebg79 Posts: 377 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh, yes, it occurs to me that I didn't say my team! I'm team Carl. Pudding, anyone? ;)

I saw that people in the Intermediate/Advanced teams were all friending each other on MFP so that they can follow everyone's progress and provide encouragement (or friendly butt kicking!) to their teammates. Do we want to do the same? I think everyone here should post their consent to friending here, if they like that idea. I'm down with being added as a friend for more motivation and teamwork!

Today, I officially weighed in under 200lbs for the first time in a while. Feeling good and wanted to share my little victory with you all! :smiley:
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hey! This sounds like a great challenge. I am participating in one other, but its only a weight loss challenge. This will be my first fitness challenge. I am pretty good with cardio, but look forward to the extra incentive to add some strength training. I have lost 40 lbs and am halfway to my goal weight. I hope this challenge will help push me through the upcoming holidays :star:
  • AnutChelle
    AnutChelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    julebg79 wrote: »
    Oh, yes, it occurs to me that I didn't say my team! I'm team Carl. Pudding, anyone? ;)

I saw that people in the Intermediate/Advanced teams were all friending each other on MFP so that they can follow everyone's progress and provide encouragement (or friendly butt kicking!) to their teammates. Do we want to do the same? I think everyone here should post their consent to friending here, if they like that idea. I'm down with being added as a friend for more motivation and teamwork!

Today, I officially weighed in under 200lbs for the first time in a while. Feeling good and wanted to share my little victory with you all! :smiley:

I am also team Carl! Yes, please friend me, I need all the encouragement I can get. :D
  • hummerjl
    hummerjl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Jamie, 27years old. This is my first challenge like this, so we'll see how it goes! :) Oh and I'm Team Daryl, all the way. Please feel free to friend me as well!
  • jamielynnmobile
    jamielynnmobile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've been on MFP for awhile, but like many of you, this is my first challenge. I mainly use MFP for logging and I don't really post on the forums or accept friends (please don't be offended!), but I saw this challenge and thought it might help me get active again. And I love TWD!

After moving & changing jobs within the last 4 months, my routine has disappeared and I am officially back to beginner status :neutral_face: Previously, I was a runner and bellydancer and I love strength training and have my own weight bench, free weights, dumbbells, and pullup tower at home--so I really have no excuses! I will likely be posting my results on Fridays because of my highly unpredictable weekend schedule (yay for being on-call).

I'm Team Beth, in case it isn't obvious ;) I am really interested to find out where she's been and what will happen with her this season! (And let's face it, Daryl loves her.)
  • MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

This will be my first challenge as well! I'm kind of nervous about it for the same reasons too! I guess that's why it's important for us to all work together. So for everyone reading, if I miss something or haven't logged something please message me because I probably don't realize I should be, but hopefully I'll have a good handle on everything and will be able to know where and how to log challenges, punishments, etc. Honestly, I am the most worried about strength training. I have only been doing cardio since I joined MFP and strength training will definitely be a challenge for me! A challenge I gladly accept!

Anyone else new to strength training?

Can I just quickly say...I love the new forum changes! :)
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    MsTiffamee wrote: »

This will be my first challenge as well! I'm kind of nervous about it for the same reasons too! I guess that's why it's important for us to all work together. So for everyone reading, if I miss something or haven't logged something please message me because I probably don't realize I should be, but hopefully I'll have a good handle on everything and will be able to know where and how to log challenges, punishments, etc. Honestly, I am the most worried about strength training. I have only been doing cardio since I joined MFP and strength training will definitely be a challenge for me! A challenge I gladly accept!

I am nervous about what we will have to DO in general. Like what are the challenges going to be? I assume the exercise will be things you don't really need weights or anything for, as not everyone owns these - but how can we be sure? I mean I REALLY have no clue what to expect!

When do we have to check on here to get our challenges? Monday after the show aired? Sunday while it is on or before?

soooooooooo nervous!

• MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options

When do we have to check on here to get our challenges? Monday after the show aired? Sunday while it is on or before?

I believe I read somewhere that challenges, punishments, etc will be posted on Mondays!
  • teresastr51
    teresastr51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is my first time participating in a challenge but I also love the walking dead. The challenge caught my eye because of that. I am just getting restarted after a back and knee injury earlier this year that resulted in an additional 40 pounds to lose again (missing those endorphins did nothing for my mood). I previously lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers but was still 19 pounds from goal.

I am probably the oldest I've seen--51--have a 17 yo son with Fragile X Syndrome with my wonderful husband. I work full time for the state. Walk, run, and do the Lolo apps for exercise.

And go Team Carol!
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm Ashley. I've been in groups before, took a break from them, and searched for one today I'd like. I came to this one!! I'm nervous, because I don't enjoy long cardio workouts, but hopefully I'll get through. I'm newly 24, and I've used MFP seriously starting June 3rd, 2013. I've lost 36lbs since then!! I love walking my dog, and Just Dance!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I am nervous about what we will have to DO in general. Like what are the challenges going to be? I assume the exercise will be things you don't really need weights or anything for, as not everyone owns these - but how can we be sure? I mean I REALLY have no clue what to expect!

soooooooooo nervous!

New challenges will always be posted Mondays in the afternoon at the latest. You can count on there always being cardio and strength minimums and the requirement that you stay within your calorie goals.

Week one will start on Sunday the 12th and the challenge will be posted Monday 13th. You post your results on the Scoreboard on Saturday the 18th anytime before Midnight Central. Count everything you did: Sun-Sat.

Aside from meeting the minimums and staying within your calorie goals, there will be the character related challenges based on what happened on the show. Usually these will be fitness related and can be counted in with your cardio or strength training. Week two will see our first winning team and MVPs. The winners will give the other teams a punishment exercise and MVPs will be immune. We will never have a challenge or punishment that requires any special equipment, but it's always a good idea to have a pair of dumbbells or a resistance band handy. ☺
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the additional information! I am very much looking forward to this!
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Me! That's definitely why I choose the beginner group lol My gym has an awesome weights section BUT it's on a military base so at any given time there are a million super ripped guys working out and it really intimidates me (even though I know it shouldn't!) I know I need to do more than just cardio so I was thinking of starting something like PiYo to incorporate strength training? & hopefully work up the nerve to head over to the weights section by the end of the challenge! :smile:
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was going to wait until I hit my goal weight to start my strength training, but this is such a fun idea I will start early. I'm sure the scale will stall, but at least I'll be getting in better shape regardless. I have never done a challenge like this before, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

And here's my first one, lol: Did I read somewhere that we need to log our minutes on a Google doc? I always have a problem with that, I seem to remember they force you to sign up to even use it (which I really don't want to do). If that's not how we record our minutes, then how?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    CindyB97 wrote: »
    I was going to wait until I hit my goal weight to start my strength training, but this is such a fun idea I will start early. I'm sure the scale will stall, but at least I'll be getting in better shape regardless. I have never done a challenge like this before, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

And here's my first one, lol: Did I read somewhere that we need to log our minutes on a Google doc? I always have a problem with that, I seem to remember they force you to sign up to even use it (which I really don't want to do). If that's not how we record our minutes, then how?
    You'll just log them on the Score sheet thread. The captains may decide to keep track of group totals on Google docs or on some sort of excel sheet but that's all. We're trying to keep the accounting part as easy as possible for everyone.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options

Me! That's definitely why I choose the beginner group lol My gym has an awesome weights section BUT it's on a military base so at any given time there are a million super ripped guys working out and it really intimidates me (even though I know it shouldn't!) I know I need to do more than just cardio so I was thinking of starting something like PiYo to incorporate strength training? & hopefully work up the nerve to head over to the weights section by the end of the challenge! :smile:

Just remember that strength training doesn't have to involve weights. Its can be as simple as pushups, crunches, chair dips, shadow boxing, yoga, fire hydrants - all great strength exercises that do not have to have weights. I find cleaning my bathtub to be great strength training, I wake up the next day sore in places I didn't know I could be sore. :o

Be creative and find things you will like doing...repeatedly!!!!! :D