A promise to myself.

Options
Tomorrow, Thursday October 30th, 2014 I will stay within my calorie goal.
I will update this thread many times throughout the day in order to achieve this.
Feel free to join this thread with your own goal if you like.

Replies

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A thought that just popped into my head
    'if I go to bed tomorrow night having succeeded, then I can be very proud of myself for that achievement. I know that eating within my calorie goal is not a big deal and in fact I have done it many times before, but right now I am struggling. So to achieve it right now is a big deal. I can go to bed feeling really pleased with myself if I do'
    ok - so it would have been more positive if I had said 'when' instead of 'if', but hey that's not what popped into my head :-)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    In dialectical behavioral therapy we talk about making a commitment, and being 100% intending to follow that commitment, but also 100% going to be compassionate with yourself if you fall short. It's a tricky concept, but a helpful one I think. Looking forward to hearing how it goes tomorrow!
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I just woke up. I am reaffirming my promise to myself that today I will stay within my calorie goal. I am determined and committed and at this moment can feel both of those sensations within me. With this mindset I will be successful. I am going to take many many moments throughout the day to keep myself in this mindset.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    In dialectical behavioral therapy we talk about making a commitment, and being 100% intending to follow that commitment, but also 100% going to be compassionate with yourself if you fall short. It's a tricky concept, but a helpful one I think. Looking forward to hearing how it goes tomorrow!
    thanks for the tip - I'm afraid I'm not perfect at either of those, but its a good approach to take.

• totaldetermination
    Options
    standing in the shower, repeating to myself 'I am committed to this'. 'I am determined'. kind of funny. but whatever it takes...
    This is number one on today's to do list. Apart from essential things in my day, any time I have a choice, my decision will be based on what will best support my aim. Obviously I can't live my whole life like this but right now getting back on track is a very big priority in my life.
    I am reaffirming once again my commitment and determination. I am feeling focused, and will keep my day on track.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I'm cooking breakfast. My calorie target today is 1800. This is a lot. Since my focus is to regain control, I am not aiming for a large deficit but rather to get back into the habit of hitting my targets. I know that 1800 calories is enough food that I won't feel hungry. There is no reason not to stay within this calorie target. I am committed and determined to achieving it.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Sometimes my day starts to derail at breakfast. I make my planned breakfast, but then go up and get another plate. Another bowl. Something else from the fridge. I am going to do the dishes etc before I eat my meal so that 'the kitchen is closed' once I take my first portion. Having a reasonable breakfast is my first challenge of the day and I am going to succeed.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    breakfast eaten. one portion.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    My schedule for today has been changed for reasons outside of my control. This means that the meals I had planned will no longer be possible. I don't know what to do. I am going to have to buy food whilst I am out. Having money and being near a shop is a very difficult situation for me. I cant see any way around it, but will only take enough money to buy a lunch. I think I will buy the food at the beginning of my day so that I know what is allocated for the day. I will also give any change I receive to someone in need. so that I have no money. These sound like extreme measures and they are not something I plan to do forever but just for today I am totally committed to staying within my calorie goals.
    I am going to be successful. After writing this plan (which I have been formulating as I type), I once again feel confident that I will succeed.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I left home with the plan (as above) to buy my meal at the start of the day, and give away any left over money so I would have no temptations and my meals would be planned. As I was travelling I kept thinking that I don't really have to buy it at the begining of the day, I'll be fine, I can be strong. I caught myself, and decided 'no - even if I would be fine, I am going to stick with my initial plan'. This helped me make my intentions firm again. In hindsight, I see that although I was still planning to watch what I ate, the fact that I was being more flexible with my plan was because my determination was weakening.
    When I got to the shop to buy the food, I was planning what to buy and as I was looking at it, I was imagining myself eating it. I realised that if I bought the food I would eat it all quite quickly, and be hungry later on. Since I wouldn't have had any money to buy more food I would have gotten home really hungry, which could have led to overeating. I decided that I would not buy the food in the morning, after all. I felt comfortable that I was making this decision with the right aim in mind so I went along with it.
    The time has passed quite quickly since then because I have been busy.
    Now its lunchtime and I'm going off to buy some food :-)
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    lunch was a success. I feel strong in my determination. Its come from a natural place within and has an almost effortless presence. A contrast to this morning where I had to keep psyching myself up to feel it.
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You got this! :)
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I am starting to plan dinner, but am actually still quite full from lunch - so I will make it small and leave some calories for a snack later if I want. I am going to plan the snack now, as I plan my dinner so that I know exactly what is in my budget.

When I am not binging its quite easy to stick within my calorie target. I know what foods to eat that fill me up & give me energy.

My mind is still on track. I am not feeling tempted. that's good :-)
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    You got this! :)

thank you. still a few more challenges to go but I am quietly confident.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    really delicious dinner :-) I enjoyed that. Its been a while since I have deliberately eaten this many calories in a day (binge eating days aside). I think I am going to stay at maintenance for a few more days.
    I don't think my binging was from hunger but at the same time I wasn't feeling as satisfied after my meals as I do now. Perhaps that's an emotional satisfaction that I was craving ?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Great stuff today!! Keep it up :)
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    SO yesterday was a success.

The promise was to keep within my calorie goals, and I succeeded. ie I didn't binge.

But I had allocated myself so many calories that at the end of the day I had loads left, and after a delicious dinner, I made a great snack, and greedily (but not hungrily) ate that. I had the calories to spare and I enjoyed it but I actually quite overate and ended up really over full. kind of ironic that I did that within my daily calorie goal. Im still calling it a success, but will reduce my calories a bit today.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Today, Thursday October 31st, 2014 I will stay within my calorie goal.
    I have set my calorie target to be 1/2 lb loss per week.
    I am committed and determined to achieve this.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    just touching base again to reassert my determination. Today is going well. I am focused and committed.