Celebrating Non-Scale Victories! Members share your NSVs here!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great work on body, attitude, injury, mental state, incredible transformation.

It'll be interesting to see what 2014 turns up. With weight still coming off, you'll reach that deadlift goal before you know it.
  • Mom3LoveBugs
    Mom3LoveBugs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling quite down since stepping on the damn scale the other day as it keeps climbing up.

I found a picture of myself from last April and made a comparison shot from today where I am roughly 10 lbs heavier.

Here's the difference:

1year_comparison_zpsaa107fa7.jpg

My lower body is my area of contention especially my upper thighs as I have a lot of loose skin since losing over 90 lbs.

I have been focusing on performance goals the last while... back squat of 185 lbs, dead lift of 235 lbs, bench of 140 lbs so I'm def getting stronger.

Just wanted to share and maybe give hope to someone else struggling a bit.

:)
  • stoofd
    stoofd Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Everyone, I"m not sure If I have a real NSV because I still have really bad days and I have't lost weight or even inches, BUT I felt like mentioning this.

I am at my heaviest know weight at 190 pounds BUT I don't feel like 190 pounds, my inches are are up, not by much but it is more than when I started exercising this past summer. I was feeling so blah and flabby last year and I thought about it today and no matter how small I got I always felt flabby and fat. I was never happy with what I saw, and this is where it gets me, I look in the mirror now and even though I am at my heaviest and am up a couple inches, I don't think I look that different than when I was at 160 pounds. or lower. In pictures you can tell a little bit but those pictures were when I was starving and moody and felt ugly all the time. When I was at my lowest weight at 15 I still felt disgusting, I only knew I lost quite a bit because that morning I fainted in class and was sent to get blood work/tests and when the nurse told me my weight I didn't even believe her. It feels as though no matter how small I got and never saw it or believed it. I recently went through some pictures of myself 4 years ago when I was practically starving trying to get thinner and I looked good, BUT back then I thought I was hideous and huge. Now I do have pretty bad days and sometimes I have that voice in my head telling me I should feel bad for weighing this much but Im not going to obsess over it like I used to.

Today I went in for a consultation appointment for a treatment on my thighs and when I stepped on the scale and the nurse told me my weight, I didn't even think much about it. Before I would have probably broke down/ made myself miserable over it but I didn't. I don't need too think about, because over thinking it won't make that number go down, it will only drive me crazy. Like I said before I don't think I look that different than when I weighed less. I actually think in many ways I look better. My arms have muscle that they never used to have, not only biceps but my triceps and delts are starting to show real nice. My shoulders seem more "square", I guess because my posture had improved and my shoulders are getting stronger. My butt is at its widest but it is lifted and I have a squat booty for sure. my thighs are my thighs but I can feel them and they feel so much stronger.

I may have been struggling with EM2WL but I know it will work for me in the end and these struggles will feel like nothing in the grand scheme of things. Im still trying to nail down my numbers and have recently bought a Body-media fit to help me out. Now I feel like I have finally gotten over my fear of my weight. I think that because of this I can finally move forward. I can finally let good changes roll in, i feel like that fear of my weight held me back but it isn't anymore.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great attitude change. Great job taking it from the high side. Hope you aren't gaining anymore though, don't need that.

Let me know if you need the methods for seeing if the BodyMedia sensors are working well for you.
  • stoofd
    stoofd Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you, and no I haven't gained any more. Im actually down a pound. I don't think I have my numbers nailed though and I will definitely let you know if I need help with the body media when it arrives. Hoping that will give me a better idea. Thank you again.
  • honeyspot1
    honeyspot1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP since March after cancelling my subscription with Weight Watchers that I had for 2 years. I have lost the same 5 pounds probably a 100 times over. I found EM2WL at the beginning of April and did a lot of research about diet, exercise, BMR, and TDEE trying to understand it. I have to say that I have finally figured it out. I have lost 5 pounds already and love to watch the scale go down and feeling great. I am eating regular meals everyday in which I was not doing before and am currently training for a half marathon. Thank you EM2WL.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Lately, I haven't been weighing myself because it's discouraging, last I checked I was up 2 lbs. But also, even though I might be heavier, I look more toned, after only two weeks. I'm not at TDEE yet either. I see other people going through the same thing as well, good to see that I'm not alone!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP since March after cancelling my subscription with Weight Watchers that I had for 2 years. I have lost the same 5 pounds probably a 100 times over. I found EM2WL at the beginning of April and did a lot of research about diet, exercise, BMR, and TDEE trying to understand it. I have to say that I have finally figured it out. I have lost 5 pounds already and love to watch the scale go down and feeling great. I am eating regular meals everyday in which I was not doing before and am currently training for a half marathon. Thank you EM2WL.

That is some awesome progress - congrats to you!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Lately, I haven't been weighing myself because it's discouraging, last I checked I was up 2 lbs. But also, even though I might be heavier, I look more toned, after only two weeks. I'm not at TDEE yet either. I see other people going through the same thing as well, good to see that I'm not alone!

Keep up the great work! Those changes that you are seeing in the mirror are so much more important than those fluctuations on the scale. As you are adjusting your calorie intake, things *will* shift on the scale --- this is totally to be expected. Just stay consistent and those results keep coming (don't forget to take pictures!)
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what the warm weather will bring... my TDEE has gone up from 2700 to 3100! I'm still doing strength training/circuits 3x per week (and making good gains) but have added extra hiking/walking on the other days. It's so nice to be outside, and I increased my fitbit step goal too so that really gets me moving. One month ago I was 219.2 lb, I'm now down to 213 lb (with an exercise and diet break). Ive been able to increase my TDEG from 2185 to 2400 due to all the extra exercise. And I've gained so much cardio endurance in the past few months I've even been able to breeze through the first week of C25K. I am down 38 lbs in total since last year, 12 lb away from my half goal of 50 lb.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jenlaura
    jenlaura Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thought I would do an update here! I took my measurements today after just 2 weeks and I have lost 2 inches from my abdomen, 2 inches from my hips, 0.5 inches from my waist, 1 inch from my thigh and half an inch from my forearm! I am delighted as I am also gaining muscle and can visibly see it from my training for the past month. I feel well. I am weighing in tomorrow for an official weigh in, 2 days rest, low sodium etc, and I can already see from weighing in recently that I am definitely going down in numbers. I have lost atleast 0.5lb.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share these progress photos! They took some time to create. I decided that I'm going to make one for every month of this year. This is about 5 and a half weeks progress. I lost 3lbs and gained some muscle definition. The last 2 weeks the scale hasn't budged, but I measured myself and I'm still losing inches. Plus I noticed that I'm definitely starting to get some arm muscles! I think that the luchadora on the bottom looks a bit stronger/more intimidating, don't you? Lol.coin6bdeuse0.jpg
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Reposting this awesome NSV from Tipularia:

"I've lost 3 inches overall in the past 12 days! While eating a crazy amount of calories AND having the best time lifting heavy weights! The scale doesn't show any of this, but the digital tape measurer does. I'm sold. I've drunk the Kool Aid. Where do I sign over all my worldly goods? This is genius!"
  • EM2WL
    EM2WL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Love this! ^^^
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have moved one more hole on my belt loop and have to get rid of my skinny jeans from last year - they used to be skin tight and now they are like boyfriend jeans, except I can almost pull them over my hips.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Great NSV modern! Thx for sharing! :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am very inspired with the posts on here. I have 3 NSVs. My first one is that I think I have gone off chocolate. I picked up some chocolate for my son, when I went to the shop and thought I had room for a bar too but when I went to pick one for myself I suddenly felt grossed out by the thought of the taste and picked up some nuts instead. I felt good.

My second NSV is that I have been my lifting programme for 6 weeks and eating more to weigh less for 2 weeks and I have lost an inch on my hips, half an inch from my waist and gained half an inch on my thighs. The hourglass figure is on its way me thinks.

My third and final NSV is that someone said she liked my "guns". I've never had anyone say that about my arms before so that felt really nice. I do martial arts and jog once a week as well my lifting programme.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Awesome NSVs, Graceious! Thank you for sharing!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Resposting this super NSV from badgalmari!

"I just wanted to update you on my progress so far. So, I measured/weighed myself yesterday and... I gained 1 pound since my last weigh in, but I lost another inch in my waist/chest & gained an inch in hips. (I'm cool with that inch gain too)!! I started lifting/strength training 2 months ago... Every since I've been eating more and lifting/strength training (still doing cardio maybe 20-30% of the time, but my main focus is strength now) I feel more fit and better overall! My metabolism is through the roof, I'm not tired anymore when I wake up in the AM & I really could care less about the scale. As long as the inches keep going down I'm good. Remember, slow progress is better than no progress...(Ty Lucia & Kiki from EM2WL for all of the wonderful information you have provided, and also ty for all of your encouragement fit fam.) All of you inspire me & keep me going :)"