Bodyfat estimation thread

Options

Replies

• goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot of them came attached sideways. I apologize for that. I am female, 32 years old, 5'5", and I was 120 lbs at my last weigh-in.
    Thanks for looking and letting me know where I stand!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    New month. So my weight loss has stopped at this point so I'm in maintenance and wondering if I should continue with monthly progress photos? I'm planning to recomp, probably over the next year or so as I continue with my current calorie allotment and lifting with a bit of running here or there. Just wasn't sure if I'm likely to see enough of a change in a month's time to make it worth taking progress photos each time? Anyways, here's what I've got. I don't see much of a change from last month, but figured I'd post along with my question.
    1r3fmqqfs66z.jpg
    mcl90348jrn7.jpg
    w2ngpir1qjff.jpg
    mz1ugcu7unfm.jpg
    rxy53gmtjjmm.jpg
  • mesmith199
    Options
    I really want to start weight lifting regularly as a supplement at least to the cardio I do (I LOVE running. I run for fun mostly). I used to sporadically lift weights. I think a body fat estimate would be helpful in approaching this challenge. The calipers I have put me in 20%-21% range, but who know how accurate that is? A second opinion would be very helpful. I tend to store the vast majority of my weight in my thighs and butt, which was very apparent when I was at my max weight a few years ago at 180.

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 125-130 lbs (fluctuates throughout the month, mostly with my menstrual cycle. I can track it pretty reliably this way)

Unflexed Side:

318l9w7whr9g.jpg

Flexed Side:

espnntgs5mja.jpg

Unflexed Front:

Unflexed: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/m9/2flmbnk14k0s.jpg

Flexed Front:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/np/0rbtjwblh178.jpg
  • davidtoews
    davidtoews Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For background information, see: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/davidtoews/view/working-the-plan-707092

Age 35, 5'9", 192lbs. Goofy face 'cause I feel goofy. Looking for an assessment of where I'm at and where to go next. Thank you much!

5tkwyg3a1jmf.jpg
    qgkwjbnvv1if.jpg
    4ca3i4pqmpid.jpg
    uor397mm7mcu.jpg
    32dyr03v2puc.jpg
    nd9rr8a3iilj.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Holy crap we are sooooo far behind.

Will try to sync up with SS and get these bashed out over the weekend.

If anyone has made progress in their body comp and want to post more up to date pics, please do, otherwise we will use the ones currently posed in this thread.
  • onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options
    About 188 cm (6'1.5) and 87 kg (192). Left relaxed right flexed.
    46e3iwql07mm.jpg
    mx1o63z2rhbs.jpg
    f150whefvmlp.jpg
  • tbx2014
    tbx2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think I made some minor progress since last pics from 6 weeks ago and figured I'd post them in case my old pics are too old and don't get an estimate. Lost a couple of pounds without really wanting to but gained some lean body mass. Still hanging on to stubborn belly/thigh fat. Loose skin is probably permanent.
    Height: 5' 11.5"
    Weight: 163 lbs
    Left side of each pic is relaxed and right side is flexed.
    Front:
    1-front-11-22-2014.jpg

Side:
    1-side-11-22-2014.jpg

Back:
    1-back-11-22-2014.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    tbx2014 wrote: »
    Would really like a Body Fat Estimate after dropping ~120 lbs in just over a year. I had a Dexa scan and a Bod Pod done within a week of each other to get an idea and they differed by almost 10 percent leaving me confused as to what percentage I really am. Tried with cheap callipers for the first time and it was almost the same as the Bod Pod reading. I can post those numbers if anyone is interested afterwards.
    Height: 5' 11.5"
    Weight: 166 lbs
    Front:
    front.jpg

Side:
    side.jpg

Back (flexing my bones, I know, horrible):
    back.jpg

Thanks

Hi! Huge apologies for the delay.

Could you let us know what your results were. As a rule of thumb, Bod Pods are not hugely accurate, but there are also possible issues with DEXA scans.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hello there! New to this group (via word of mouth) and was curious as to how the body fat estimate for this photo? In this picture I am not flexing or anything (this was from about 2 weeks ago so may look slightly different than this now).

db4t7akbg8fp.jpg

Hi! Its a little hard to tell as you have only the one picture posted but we would put you in the low to mid teens.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    goosebeartalk

We would put you somewhere in the mid to low upper 20's based on what we can see in the photos.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    New month. So my weight loss has stopped at this point so I'm in maintenance and wondering if I should continue with monthly progress photos? I'm planning to recomp, probably over the next year or so as I continue with my current calorie allotment and lifting with a bit of running here or there. Just wasn't sure if I'm likely to see enough of a change in a month's time to make it worth taking progress photos each time? Anyways, here's what I've got. I don't see much of a change from last month, but figured I'd post along with my question.
    1r3fmqqfs66z.jpg
    mcl90348jrn7.jpg
    w2ngpir1qjff.jpg
    mz1ugcu7unfm.jpg
    rxy53gmtjjmm.jpg

Hi!

Are you looking to lose more body fat?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    mesmith199: Closest we can get given the available pics (can't see your back, shoulders, arms, etc) would be low to mid 20s. Probably above 21% but below 25%.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    davidtoews: first of all we both lol'd at your facial expressions, well done. Somewhere in the mid/upper 20s would be as close as we can get.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    onasaz wrote: »
    About 188 cm (6'1.5) and 87 kg (192). Left relaxed right flexed.
    46e3iwql07mm.jpg
    mx1o63z2rhbs.jpg
    f150whefvmlp.jpg

Hi!

We would put you at about 10 - 12%.
  • tbx2014
    tbx2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Could you let us know what your results were. As a rule of thumb, Bod Pods are not hugely accurate, but there are also possible issues with DEXA scans.

Hi thanks for the reply, I also got a message from SideSteel estimating 9% to 15% since the loose skin makes it more difficult.

My Dexa scan had me at 20% which I though was impossible so I had the Bod Pod done 2 days later and it had me at 10.5%. I then attempted 3 site caliper readings myself which I have no experience doing and it came out at 10%. These were readings from around October 9.

The updated pics I have posted from November 23 say I'm 9% according to my inexperienced 3 site caliper readings. I guess I better increase the calorie intake and train more. I don't think much less than 9% is a good idea or very feasible at my age.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)
  • onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options

Hi!

We would put you at about 10 - 12%.

Thanks for your time. I thought for myself no less than 14-15% .
    Still need to shred inch from waist to see abs :)
  • The0neWhoKnocks
    The0neWhoKnocks Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hey!! I'm really so grateful if you do get a chance to do me, any help would really go a long way for me :D
    Thank you so much for setting this up!

These are of me just over a month ago towards the start of my training.
    SIDE relaxed, SIDE tensed
    FROMT relaxed, FRONT tensed

5zte49lsynys.jpg
    cjr421xsv6gt.jpg
    ywsc09ls8riw.jpg
    ci157ohcfb0i.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    1r3fmqqfs66z.jpg
    mcl90348jrn7.jpg
    w2ngpir1qjff.jpg
    mz1ugcu7unfm.jpg
    rxy53gmtjjmm.jpg

Hi!

Are you looking to lose more body fat?

Honestly, I'm waffling a bit right now. I have a pretty damn high calorie allowance, but I like eating all the foodz so I'm not sure I want to continue with active weight loss.

Yes, I'd like to get rid of some more fat, especially belly but that will likely be the last to go, but no, I don't want to drop my calorie intake, hence why I'm saying recomp at this point. I'm not really worried about how long it takes, I'm not in any rush or anything as over all I'm very happy with where my body fat is at this point.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 years old, 5'9" and 147 lbs. I'm flexed in all of these pictures. I'm hoping someone gets me a DEXA scan for Christmas, but I think that's a long shot!

wa0br30gje8q.jpg
    dhrpj2lnhh20.jpg
    cyyyec4vkmah.jpg
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how some of you could differentiate between BF and loose skin.
This discussion has been closed.