Jan. 2015 Active Low Carbers

Options

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Deb. I've been on MFP for about 2 yrs. I started off doing my own version of low carb. About a year ago, I discovered lchf. I've lost about 60 pounds in total, have another 10-15 pounds to go.

I work in a Bariatric clinic where all our patients are at the very least, obese, most of them morbidly obese. I vowed to myself I would not become one of these sick people. Since eating this way, I have crazy energy and no longer have the blood sugar ups and downs I used to have. I have set my macros to 5gm carb, 25gm protein, and 70gm fat.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    Hi all! My name is Deb. I've been on MFP for about 2 yrs. I started off doing my own version of low carb. About a year ago, I discovered lchf. I've lost about 60 pounds in total, have another 10-15 pounds to go.

I work in a Bariatric clinic where all our patients are at the very least, obese, most of them morbidly obese. I vowed to myself I would not become one of these sick people. Since eating this way, I have crazy energy and no longer have the blood sugar ups and downs I used to have. I have set my macros to 5gm carb, 25gm protein, and 70gm fat.
    Deb;

I think you meant to say set your macros to 5, 25, 70 PERCENT (not grams).

When I first saw the 5, 25, 70gm...I panicked <BG>

The 18g Carbs, 88g Protein, and 109g Fats do work out to 5%, 25%, and 70% which is a very good target range for many.

It's an easy mistake to make (trust me I know, been there, done that), just didn't want any newbies to "take it to the bank" by mistake.

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Lol- you're right, Deansdad. Thanks for the correction.
  • Mrsred09
    Mrsred09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm Red. Just starting out on LC and joined the group. I've got about 50 pounds to lose and am hoping I can use the LC approach to kick the sugar cravings and lower my body fat. I've was successful at LC before getting pregnant, so I am hoping to have success again and lose this baby weight. My plan is to eat less than 50g carbs each day. My hubby will not be joining me on this LC journey, but is supportive of this plan and will help me on my way. I should also add that I am a long distance runner and am trying to find ways to fuel my runs without sugary fuel or bread/pasta like carbs. Anyone have any success with low carb fuels for runs longer than 6 miles?

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tq337032 posted this link this morning. I think it what you are looking for in the running question. It is you tube and takes about an hour to watch. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tq33702/view/-jeff-volek-the-many-facets-of-keto-adaptation-health-performance-and-beyond-721114
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mrsred09 wrote: »
    Anyone have any success with low carb fuels for runs longer than 6 miles?
    Hi, and here's another by
    Prof Tim Noakes:
    'LCHF for Elite Athletes'
    at YT:
    youtube.com/watch?v=6WVLrQmnnAY

I hope it's useful to you... :smile:
    p.s. This vid is not just 4 athletes...
    it's LCHF Inspirational, too.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    I'm Kyla. I mostly read the forums on weekends, but that may change since I FINALLY figured out how to see them on the app. :)
    I've been doing low carb since mid September. One of my close friends was doing pre-bariatric weight loss and I sort of copied her high protein/low carb diet to start. I switched to keto just before Thanksgiving and have been sticking to it with just one hiccup on Thanksgiving day (I couldn't resist pecan pie). Since then I've been sticking to keto macros even if I sometimes go over on total calories (Christmas and New Years).
    I'm a little worried about the next few months though. I work at a school where I studied Culinary Arts and they have a student run restaurant. My family has a tradition of going there once a week to try new foods and support the students, but it's a fixed 3-course menu, so I have a feeling I'll have to pick through my plate a lot and leave a bunch of stuff untasted because of the carbs :(
  • Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll! My name is Sherry. Or you can call me Rossergirl. I live in Raleigh, NC. I do not recall when I joined the group or when I started with MFP. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and now that I am pre-menopausal, it is harder than ever to lose weight! I have being eating LC off & on for several years.

I will be 49 in March and have several medical issues. I am determined to be a better me. I am aiming to do very LC and work out a minimum 4 times per week. My mantra has become, "To change, one must change what they are doing!"

I need encouragement, so if anyone wants to friend me, please do so!

Thanks!

Sherry
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    this was so nice to read..
    I am Kathy and I have lost 50 lbs LCHF and 89 lbs all together.. I am trying to maintain by staying under 100 g of carbs. My biggest struggles are days like today.. i have a chest cold and want to eat.. Friday nights and Saturdays.. I seem to over indulge more on those days. I find this group of people to be very supportive and I can always get a boost.
  • AshleyDillo
    AshleyDillo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am Ashley. I have been doing low carb effectively since 2009 when I had gastric bypass surgery. I lost 200 pounds, but regained 60 of it when I quit eating low carb.

Started up low carb again July 2014 and have re-lost those 60 pounds. Still losing without really trying and with zero exercise, although I am planning to change that this year.

HW: 361
    CW: 161

My food diary is open...I keep it simple and rarely do recipes. I typically eat 1-2 meals a day during an 8 hour period..and I only eat when hungry.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Nicole. My journey starting in August 2013 when I went to a Chinese herbal doctor who offered acupuncture, lots of vitamins and wanted me to eliminate most carby foods. After a few weeks, I decided this was not for me. So what do I do? I go to a weight loss doctor who prescribes phentermine, however they gave me a diet to follow as well which was low carb. So after going to two different doctors who really suggested low carb I started some research and landed on Paleo. I tried Paleo for a few short weeks but I really was not incorporating meat (I was a vegetarian) so I ate a lot of red potatoes. From the Paleo forum I found low carb, but more importantly I discovered the keto diet. So I started changing my habits. Since keto is moderate protein I decided I would be able to eat meat and learn to enjoy it. So now I eat steaks, fish, pot roast, chicken...a lot of things actually. So from September 2013 to June 2014 I had lost 67 pounds. Then I got engaged, bought a house, and have gained a little bit back. But what's interesting to me is that several of my healthy habits always stuck by even when I ate carby foods. Every day I drink a gallon of water, even when I'm not on plan, and I still remain active (walking, jogging). Now that I have gotten a bit of weight off I have also taken up jogging now and can do 3 miles without dying! So I'm still here, still plugging away. I don't come to the forum every day, but I log in every day. I log my food most days, and I also eat quite a bit of calories per day (about 1800-2100).
    So feel free to add me if you would like.
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am Sandy. I've been eating LCHF for a while except that I somehow didn't keep it together between Thanksgiving and Christmas. So ... now back in control. It helps me to track my eating and exercise. I am T2 and so far have been able to control my numbers with diet and exercise. I would like to lose 40 more lbs. Working full time with a commute makes finding time to exercise a challenge. I enjoy lurking this group. :blush:
  • pennyfaye
    pennyfaye Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wow.such wonderful journey stories! My name is Penny. I'm 55 and have had a lifetime of weight problems. My highest weight was 478. I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005. I lost a lot at first, but the bad habits crept back in. Plus i was hospital bed-bound. Low carb is the way to go for me. I had lost down to 243 last year. In July '14, I weighed 303. Then I started low carbing again. I've had a few setbacks, but have managed to lose about 35 pounds. I'm looking at keto... just learning about it right now. Any help is appreciated!
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Fiona. I have done the low carb thing without true dedication or success a few times in the past but this time round (starting in Nov 14) I did (and still am doing) a whole lot of research. I started with the 'I Quit Sugar' book, then progressed to Paleo again (been there before), then decided that was too many carbs so went LCHF and more recently Nutritional Ketosis which I am loving the science of it and finding it super motivating. I have lost an average of 0.9kg per week since starting and my blood Ketones are now averaging at 3.6 fasted for the last few days.
    This is the first time in my life I have lost weight (or even maintained!) while not starving myself on low cal and low fat while working out like a fiend. I couldn't be happier with this WOE and have adopted it as a permanent lifestyle.
  • sun_shine765
    sun_shine765 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am Michelle. Deceided to change my eating habits to improve my lifestyle. The weight loss benefit is a bonus, especially when the majority of us have a little or a lot to lose. Have started before the 1st (Happy New Year everyone!!), and have obviously lost a couple of pounds. Trying to stay off the scale, as I am very visual and it tends to freak me out a little. So hence MFP to track and follow what I am really putting in my mounth. I am trying to lead a healthier lifestyle to help the rest of my body. Have PFS (Patello-Femoral Syndrome) in both knees, bad feet, tight ITbands, and everything else that goes with it. I used to run 5-10K a day for enjoyment (I may not be fast, but I will still get there), but had to stop due to the pain. Right now, or I should say after the freezing cold weather goes away, my goal is to get back out on the pavement and enjoy my runs again. So losing some weight will hopefully "lighten the load" on my knees and keep me out of physio. I am so glad to find others that follow keto!
  • Christine_1085
    Christine_1085 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My name is Christine, Asian who loves rice to death. Having a hard time giving 100% No carbs but limit my rice in take to 1/4 cup per day. Working hard to make this happen. I still need to lose 23 pounds to get down to my healthy BMI of 24.9. I am 5'3 and currently I weigh 163..goal is 140. Since I turned 50 I just want to be healthy and not wanting to look like I was in college.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My name is Christine, Asian who loves rice to death. Having a hard time giving 100% No carbs but limit my rice in take to 1/4 cup per day.

There is no practical benefit (for most people) to going to no-carbs. If the rice is your only source of carbs, you'll be eating about 10-15g of carbs a day. That's certainly very low. You're likely including some veggies, so you're probably hitting 30-40g a day (maybe more). You'll be higher than many people here, but not all. If it works for you, don't worry about trying to go lower.

Personally, I used to buy rice by the 20 kg bags at the store. I know all about rice addiction. LOL

Edit: The above assumes 1/4 cups rice (cooked). If you're talking 1/4 cups before cooking... that alone is ~40g of carbs and can be a huge hit of insulin.
  • jennysbest
    jennysbest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Jenny and I'm 28 years old. I started low carb with Atkins after Christmas. I struggled with keeping my macros in line and I'm still learning the ins and outs but I'm loving it! I've started losing weight which I have not been able to do for years due to depression and a back injury. I've also noticed my mood is so much more positive and I don't get as irritated by the usual things I used to. My stomach issues have nearly gone away, I had IBS. My family has said maybe I have a gluten allergy and that could be why this way of eating has made me feel so much better. I don't know but I'm glad I found keto. I feel like a commercial for keto now. Lol. Anyway. I love this way of eating because I can eat the things I love and don't really have to worry about calories, although I try not to go crazy overboard. I was 198 when I started and now I'm 190. I know that's only 8lbs but I haven't seen 190 in forever. I would like to have some keto friends on here but it is difficult to add people from forums on the app which is mainly all I use. Please add me!!! I love reading all of your stories, I think this will be a very motivational group!
  • chantyc1
    chantyc1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am Chantelle, into week two and feeling determined all ad me x
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been on MFP for about 2 years now and lost only 10lbs and then gained it back. I need to lose a good bit more. I get lots of walking in (sometimes up to 12 miles a day) but still wasn't losing anything. I've been trying to cut out refined sugar for some time and made it a record 100 days once but still couldn't get off and keep off the extra weight. I'm trying to cut back on carbs now. I'm 5'4. 150lbs CW doing 1,350, 51g-carbs,84g protein, and 90g fat. Hoping to see some real results this time and get rid of the 25lbs I've been trying to lose for 25 years!