30 lbs to loose. Anybody like me?

Options

Replies

• charlesdphillips3
    Options
    just turned 46 and need to lose 30 myself. Saw you mentioned NC... I am blessed to be there myself. Maybe you could help a fellow NC person avoid bojangles, BBQ, etc. Ha Ha
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and I have between 30 and 40 pounds to lose by NASCAR weekend in June.
  • redmollster
    redmollster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    46 and 21lb to go (started at 29lb in November). Need to learn how to keep it off when it does go! Targeting mid May for a holiday. Loving my fitbit flex which helps me to keep one eye on activity, which had been really poor previously, and, combined with the fab food database on here, I feel things are moving in the right direction. It can and WILL be done :)
    Everyone, feel free to add me too
  • 252sarahw
    252sarahw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    just turned 46 and need to lose 30 myself. Saw you mentioned NC... I am blessed to be there myself. Maybe you could help a fellow NC person avoid bojangles, BBQ, etc. Ha Ha

I'll sure try Charlie. The first thing you have to do is give up Bojangles and make your own. I know, I know, I love a dang Bo Chedder biscuit with a yummy lacy skirt too... but isn't that what got us here in the first place? Homemade is the way to go. Always better tasting and better for you.

Are you a Eastern Carolina BBQ fan? If you can make your own BBQ it's really not so bad. Skip the slaw and toss the bun though. Just eat the BBQ and above all, remember moderation, moderation, moderation. It's stiller higher in fat than chicken.

For those of you not familiar with BBQ in here in North Cackalacky, “barbecue” is a noun. It refers to the food (as in “I’m fixin’ to have some barbecue”) but also to the events at which barbecue is served (“Are y’all goin’ to the barbecue?”). It is never used by native Tar Heels to describe the act of cooking barbecue, or even the device on which it is cooked. So if you are looking at my Diary and see BBQ. This is what I'm eating.

The reason I ask Charlie if he is an eastern fan is there is a dividing line between eastern (vinegar base) BBQ, western BBQ and Lexington style. This great barbecue divide has been a source of good-natured arguments between Heels for decades. Traditional eastern style has no sugar, tomato or molasses base sauces. We know this because northeast NC was the "Cradle of the Colonies" Many here have family BBQ recipes that date back to the 1700's. Yes, I said seventeen hundreds. We have family homes as old as circa 1730 here.

Ya'll hungry yet? As you can see Heels are passionate about BBQ. The photo below is eastern style BBQ that we cooked up last weekend to freeze for later. Sorry Charlie, I just can't give up my BBQ. (See photo) The key to "healthier" BBQ is DIY then you can control the fat, skin and cuts that get chopped up as filler. Most commercial BBQ places do this to make it go further.

rc9mmbabj2yz.jpg

By the way, the MFP listing for "Eastern" style BBQ is not correct, should you look it up. This is especially wrong for a homemade version. Eastern style should not have any sugar, vinegar and spice sauce only. If you eat eastern style at a restaurant, bun, slaw etc., then yes, it is most likely correct. It may also have some added sugars but that's also what makes it extra tasty and extra fattening.

To be safe, I log my homemade as Lloyds - Bbq Pulled Pork, 1 cup for 320 calories. Still higher than I feel my version really is, but I'd rather err on the higher side. I'm just too lazy right now to add a Northeastern BBQ to the MFP list.

• wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and have managed to keep down from 191 to 180.6 for about a year consistently but now that health is better determined to lose the other 30lbs. This week I have started doing my fitness flyer cardio glider for 30 minutes 3x . My dates are Tuesday Thursday Saturday. I have a fitness watch that I check my heart rate on and work to 95% max heart rate. Have done this before 3 times in life . Want to make this stick. Glad to see so many others here!
  • 252sarahw
    Options
  • 252sarahw
    Options
  • kristis74
    kristis74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lindy0070 wrote: »
    Woohoo!!! Everyone sounds so up for this!!!! Please feel free to add me as I too am new to MFP and really need to stay motivated....this time. I want to change my lifestyle and have the healthy body I want for life. I'm 43 next month and it goes on a lot quicker as you get older and is damn stubborn to get off. Good luck everyone, we can do this!!! B) Summer hols are just around the corner.

• kristis74
    kristis74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! Love the extra accountability !
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am 46 and have over 30 pounds to lose. I am not gluten intolerant by my husband and my sister are. I am doing a non strict Paleo type diet so I am avoiding gluten and most grains. And eating a lot more vegetables.

So far I am loving MFP!
  • redoro
    redoro Posts: 1
    Options
    Just starting today. I'm 49 and need to lose 30 pounds to get my health and life back.
  • dunkrobertson
    dunkrobertson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have a least 30 pounds to loose. I am not new to MFP but I have been gone for a while. I need some motivation and support. I am a mother of 3 boys, student (want to graduate before they do) and small business owner. I have noticed in the last couple years that the weight has crept on and I am no longer comfortable in my skin. None of my "people" are overweight so it is hard to keep it in check. Please feel free to add me I would love to have a group for support and motivation again.
  • jeepers39
    Options
    Welcome all - feel free to add me as a friend - it is hard to keep up with these posts (haven't quite figured out an easy way to manage). Wishing everyone a wonderful and healthy week - stay active, journal in MFP and drink water...If you had a misstep on the weekend (like me) - put it behind you :)
  • jambo27061965
    jambo27061965 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm jim 49 looking to get fitter and lose some weight probably about 20 pounds add me as a friend if you want to motivate each other
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and looking to get healthier and lose around 30+ pounds. Day 1.
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    43 and looking to lose 30! Open to friends!
  • 252sarahw
    Options
    Hi all and welcome to the five who have just joined us. How's everyone doing this week?
    Thanks all who have joined me here in our Quest to loose 30

Found a couple of good quotes for you all to ponder...

8rhyp2iuptnw.jpg

1rv5zvhj490e.jpg

• assateaguegirl
    Options
    Hi everyone--- me too! 44 and 30 lbs to lose. First day down.
  • Milner100
    Milner100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am 46 and just real want to get healthy and would like to lose 40lbs. I find it very hard to get the weight off but I am trying. Very slowly it is coming off.
  • mjhalcomb
    mjhalcomb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 42 and would like to lose about 30 pounds. Feel free to add me!