Questions about Low Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost 20 pounds over the span of about 4 months on the slow carb diet last year -- but it wasn't sustainable for me at all and I gained all of it back when I stopped.

I've been much more successful counting calories and working on portion control, although I do admit that I tend towards higher protein/veggies/fruit and significantly less towards the 'no' category from low carb. I avoid potatoes like the plague, and only have pasta or bread 2-3 times a week. I avoid white flour and processed foods as much as possible (but as a very low income student, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do)
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The Adtkins diet is a low carb diet. I did it for a while and lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks, however when you go off of it ,yes you gain it all back.

To be serious about losing weight, ice cream, cookies and chips are not part of the program. You just have to decide how quickly you want to lose it. If you don't have a serious weight problem then what ever you want!

Basil
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    From reading many other threads (i considered doing the whole low carb diet thing too), many people said that once they ate a bowl of pasta they gained everything back. Basically, don't do anything you can't stick to because you'll just gain the weight back.

Want to qualify that statement? Would someone who lost over 100 lbs on a low carb diet gain it all back with one bowl of pasta? That would be quite remarkable.

If you only did low carb for a week or so, then yes you will probably gain it back quickly. Of course you could say that about any diet that you quit after a week or so.
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options
    I've been eating a LOWER Carb diet too, BUT not as low as you are though.

My current target every day is 78g of Carbs, but I usually aim for 50g or less.

I've been told to try to consume Carbs ONLY when I need them.
    That is up until lunchtime or around midday.

Minimum consumption after that, but bearing in mind anything logged from Vegetables (not potatoes) are OK
    e.g. Greens, Cucumber, Mushrooms (low to none anyway), tomatoes (careful on the Sugar the later it gets)

I'm no expert and am learning as I go along, but I have heard a VERY low to NO Carb diet can be detrimental in the long run,
    glad you are only doing it for a short time.

Listen to your Body.

Loozin
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Am I reading your profile incorrectly? You currently weight less than 100 pounds and hope to lose another 15-20, with an end goal of 80 pounds?
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    Am I reading your profile incorrectly? You currently weight less than 100 pounds and hope to lose another 15-20, with an end goal of 80 pounds?

Hummm. Nice catch.. Looks like that to me unless it is a mistake. Maybe that is why no pictures.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    No point going too low in carbs. 100g daily is a good amount. You could do what a lot of others do and eat more starchy carbs on days when you do resistance training.

All diets stop working when you go off them just like the low carb diet. You don't magically just gain weight when you stop a low carb diet. Yes, some water weight but you've got to continue eating a surplus to start putting on fat.
  • Loozin
    Loozin Posts: 91
    Options

Oh my gosh, I'll be checking in future...

That's gotta be too light or a mistake.
    Do you want to LOSE 80lbs or be 80lbs ! (5st 10lbs)

I'm hoping you say the former...
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Keep calm and become a skinny ***** - that may be a bit of a give away but you never know when commenting to a stranger.
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    I am eating low carb. The key is to exercise on top of the change in your diet (I use the word diet to mean the food you eat, not a "diet"). When I don't exercise as much, I plateau, if I keep the carbs low and keep a high level of activity, the weight comes off.

I had really good progress and have lost 14 pounds, but am plateaued. I need to mix up my workouts, but for a couple weeks it was so hot out I couldn't do much. On the weekends I went to the mall to walk. I have had a hard time getting back into the level of exercise I had before the heat wave.

My doctor told me that he used to recommend that people do 60 carbs a day, but that felt too much like being deprived, so he said do a max of 200 carbs a day, and drop it if you feel you can do it. He emphasized that you have to count it. I was keeping track in my head each day and thought I was doing OK. I did lower my carbs a lot. I found MFP and when I entered my carbs it was like 400 or more a day. I started tracking on MFP and kept it under 200 and the weight started coming off. With that and exercise, my body has changed shape, and I am sure that some of the plateau is muscle gain from all the exercise.

A pound is 3500 calories. The only way to gain a "real" pound in a day that is not water weight is to eat 3,500 calories more than your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) for the day. You would have to eat 8.7 King Sized Snickers to get that many calories AFTER you had enough to equal the amount of calories you used for the day. So yeah, you could gain a pound overnight that isn't water weight, but you'd have to be able to keep it down.

Carbs alone will not make you gain, it is your total caloric intake. If you eat more calories than you burn in your daily activity, then you gain, if you eat less, you lose.

The source and type of carbs is important. Carbs from processed foods, such as bread and pasta, cake and cookies, and sugar, simple carbs, is that they make your body think it is a diabetic the way it handles insulin. Prolonged diet like that and the weight gain of so many of us, leads to diabetes, high blood pressure and other metabolic disorders. However, carbs from fruits and vegetables and healthy fat and protein sources tend to be complex carbs and don't affect your body in quite the same way. (You should read up on this, as I may not be explaining it right, but how I understand it.)

Some buy proved that you can eat Twinkies and other junk and lose weight, but after being low carb, I find that while I can still eat a King Sized Snickers and be under 200 carbs, it does not taste as good and I don't really want it any more.

There are days I go over carbs, and if I am more active on those days, I can burn them off.

I have a genetic trait that after 30, now long after, carbs above 200 a day make me fat and miserable. It did not happen overnight, it took years to hit my high of 100 pounds more than high school/college. I had hit my high of about 285 and stayed there a few years, and have slowly worked it down to 265 when I started eating low carb and lost another 14. I will still indulge in things that sound good, but not on a consistent basis.

You know your body and your situation. Figure out what ratio of protein, carbs, and fat it takes for you to maintain your goal weight Once you hit your target, you may find that you are happy with 200 carbs a day, or you may find you can do 400, if your total calories fit the TDEE for your goal. It is all about smart choices and listening to your body.

If you want to be able to stop exercising so much, then you will want to stay low(er) carb. If you like working out and don't want to quit once you reach your goal, then you can probably handle more carbs on a consistent basis.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    what I meant was not for every meal. I would only have them now and then. I certainly wouldn't have them every single day and most like would only have these bad foods like once every two to three weeks. Would that still make me gain all the weight back?

This ^^^^^
    i am very carb sensitive and did the Atkins 2 week induction 20 carbs or less for 3 weeks. It was brutal for me because at the same time going through withdrawal from sugar,rice, bread, pasta etc all the food I had been use to eating. I never want to go through what Atkins calls the Carb Flu again it lasted for 3 weeks until I left ketosis.

I know some people say they are so happy during that time, feel energetic, claim they feel they can fly, I am not one of them. I want to add,Yes I stuck to the rules. I know this is a life time change and I know I do not want to remain on 20 carbs or less for a lifetime so I upped my daily carbs 50 and because I love seasonal fruit I eat it daily in moderation and refuse to give up, I am keeping carbs under 100. I am not gaining I still can lose and so grateful for that.

I recently had 2 pieces of pizza on my planned day that I would go over 100 carbs. I still counted the carbs plus calories but feared what would happen since I have been low carbing since March 8. I am happy to report I did not gain weight in fact I lost nearly 2 lbs. I was stalled until I ate take out pizza with pepperoni on it plus onion and pineapple and shock :noway: I ate the crust! People call it carb shock! :laugh:

I have eaten clean now for nearly 6 months seldom eat processed foods. Everyone is different you just have to see what works for you.

Tonight I had 5 frozen onion rings to go with my bunless bacon Cheeseburger and I know the onion rings are made with white flour. I also have peace to know I will not gain weight from eating them. I never eat candy,cake, cookies, unless the sweetener is Stevia.

This is my personal opinion I know low carb works, without it I cannot lose weight. I battle hypoglycemia so I balance the carbs with a protein at the same time. I refuse to give up my fruit, I just make sure the fruit carbs are counted and I eat the lower glycemic ones. I have given up ice cream, soda's, rice, pasta, sugar,wheat, most breads,never eat cereal, but I leave my carbs higher to eat the seasonal fruit.

I have known many people who stick to Atkins induction 20 carbs or less and never eat more than 20 carbs they admit if they would eat more than 20 carbs after a prolonged time of only eating 20 carbs or less, their body would gain the weight back quickly. I made sure I am not one of those people whose body refuses to handle anything over 20 carbs. I only stayed in Atkins induction for 3 weeks. There are days when I will still eat under 30 carbs for the day but I just do not beat myself up if I do not do it daily. I miss having a banana a day and a orange but I have given it up for other lower carb fruits.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    become Primal. and if you dont want to gain back the 3 lbs start adding more carbs in verrry slowly. and have them be clean carbs at first and then you can slowly progress to dirtier carbs. but i have a million recipes of "dirty" things that are modified clean :)

so protein ice cream and low carb cookies are my fortee :)
    -Harper
  • ashjdavis88
    ashjdavis88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No you won't gain the weight back IF you stay within a calorie deficit or at maintenance. I went back and forth from keto to a moderate carb/clean diet and have lost and kept off 100lbs. You obviously just cant go back to old habits of processed terrible food.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    so basically even one meal of bad carbs can make you gain all the weight back? to me that sounds a bit impossible but thats what people are saying :S

surely if I eat healthy so the same as my diet now but then once every few weeks add like a small portion of cake to my diet or something I won't gain it all back?

Generally, the people who are most successful on low-carb diets are sensitive to those "bad carbs" anyway. So it is not always a question of the food itself making you gain the weight back. You would also need to take into consideration if these foods cause insulin resistance, water retention, or inflammation in your body.

Personally, I can rarely have pasta or bread, because it makes me crave even more, but rice does not seem to bother me. So I try to stay away from them. Of course, I also have PCOS, which means I am insulin resistant. So I feel better not eating those foods anyway.

Usually, if you have none of the issues mentioned above, you can go back to a *small to moderate* amount of carbs with only a small weight gain. If you are still diligent with your calories and exercise though, this can drop again once your body gets used to metabolizing the increase in carbs.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You are 18 years old and weigh about 97lbs according to your ticker. You have a goal of 80 LBS? Unless you are in the 4'5" height range, your goal is not realistic nor is it healthy. Please get some professional perspective on HEALTHY body weight.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to gain all your weight lost by eating a bowl of pasta. I have lost all my weight eating low carb and eating a bowl of pasta does not make me gain 40+ punds; I eat 5 or so days with my carbs fairly low (between 30-40 normally), then a day or so of "splurge eating". After my splurge, I am normally up 2-3 pounds, which goes away within a couple days.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You are 18 years old and weigh about 97lbs according to your ticker. You have a goal of 80 LBS? Unless you are in the 4'5" height range, your goal is not realistic nor is it healthy. Please get some professional perspective on HEALTHY body weight.

PLEASE! adult posters, consider the advise you are giving this 18 year old young adult. Her goal weight is 80lbs!
  • 1DayAt_aTime
    Options
    Bump
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    basically once you transition from induction you go from super low carb (20 grams) to OWL which could be 30-40 grams... to more 'regular cal' on maintenance. by maintenance you'll have learned portion control and you should just eat how you will for the rest of your life. not going back to junk food, just eating clean. protein, veggies, fruit, whole grains.

i did well on maintenance going from 20 grams a day to 30 grams of carbs per meal without a substantial gain. (after i lost my weight)