What to do BEFORE you start!

Options

Replies

• peoplegreet1
    peoplegreet1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Starting at 9AM tomorrow need to rest tonight. For big day and walk for 30 minutes nonstop for Day 1
  • bubblesl40
    bubblesl40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump//restarting my program tomorrow.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Did W6D1 today. As someone who run a bit like Usain Bolt before starting the program (that is, 100 meters OR 9,6 seconds...) it feels pretty good to have come this far. I'm hoping to do a 10K run next summer/fall. If I'm able to finish in under 60 mins, I'll be really happy, but mostly I'll just be happy if I'm able to finish at all. :-)
  • 3HopeFUL
    3HopeFUL Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 but really haven't been able to run when it says run and walk when it says walk since the beginning. Mostly have trouble breathing almost asthmatic, and many hills where I live so if I have to walk because of breathing challenges or because of a hill I try to make it up at the walking section I have repeated many days and weeks may just go back to beginning and start over any suggestions. I did a 5k in November 35:03 lots of walking though
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    3HopeFUL wrote: »
    I am on week 6 but really haven't been able to run when it says run and walk when it says walk since the beginning. Mostly have trouble breathing almost asthmatic, and many hills where I live so if I have to walk because of breathing challenges or because of a hill I try to make it up at the walking section I have repeated many days and weeks may just go back to beginning and start over any suggestions. I did a 5k in November 35:03 lots of walking though

For starters, you walk fast, well done.

I know of several runners who keep training even with asthma, so if it is well-managed and you possibly have your medication with you, I don't see an immediate reason for at least this being a cause of the lack of progression. (See also "go slow" below.)

How fast are you running? Can you keep a discussion going when running or would you be out of breath?

Have you tried slowing down? Running is different from walking and it isn't unusual that people can walk faster than they can run in the beginning. Even when you think you're going slowly, try to go even slower.

If these tips don't help, feel free to do more troubleshooting!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I know of several runners who keep training even with asthma, so if it is well-managed and you possibly have your medication with you, I don't see an immediate reason for at least this being a cause of the lack of progression. (See also "go slow" below.)

How fast are you running? Can you keep a discussion going when running or would you be out of breath?

Have you tried slowing down? Running is different from walking and it isn't unusual that people can walk faster than they can run in the beginning. Even when you think you're going slowly, try to go even slower.

I second the "Slow Down" part! If you can't hold a conversation while you are running, you are probably trying to go too fast.

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I second the "Slow Down" part! If you can't hold a conversation while you are running, you are probably trying to go too fast.

3rd'ing the slow down part, and in addition to that, hills are not an excuse for not completing the program. I live in a hilly area, I went through all of C25K running/walking on hills. Just remember what has been repeated here. "Slow down" If that means you only run 20m in a 3min run section because you're on a hill and have to almost run on the spot, then do it. I did it and now I power through the hills that used to almost stop me dead.

Going back to the start, or at least to where you can complete the session is probably a good idea. Work on getting through the program as the program is. So that means walk when it says walk, and run when it says run. Changing the intervals and trying to make up messes with the program and will stall your progress.
  • nlvmom
    nlvmom Posts: 3
    Options
    yamsteroo wrote: »
    Lots of great tips there for beginners (like me!!).

This really is a great group for people just starting out running as the more experienced are so encouraging - thanks! :)

bump. push everyone. bump :)
  • melanieleasure
    melanieleasure Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. How do I go from just starting walking to running?
  • AglaeaC
    Options

If you can walk a decent distance, whatever that means (maybe a few miles?), I'm sure you can get through week 1 of couch-to-5K, provided you do the running intervals slowly. You might feel like you're about to die (not literally), but then you share the experience with quite a few other beginners.

Read the threads in this group where you find advice on getting fitted for running shoes, what clothing to choose and how to layer, how to deal with food and drink, how to keep track of when to run/walk (what apps etc. there are, which are free, and so on), and more.

There's a daily check-in thread for people at all stages so you're more than welcome to join. Also, ask questions if there's something you're wondering about and someone will (eventually) get around to replying :)

You can find the original couch-to-5K (or C25K) programme at Cool Running. Study it and stick to it, don't overdo things if you feel invincible all of a sudden, because that's a certain road to injury down the line.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

If you can walk for 30 minutes, you can start c25k.

If you have a smart phone, try out some of the c25k apps. Find one you like and do it! I use the RunDouble app.

Start slow and then slow down some more.

Get fitted for good running shoes at a running store.

Check in here after your runs or if you have questions.

You can do this!

• melanieleasure
    melanieleasure Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am researching and I am determined. I appreciate your help.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am researching and I am determined. I appreciate your help.

As long as you have some idea of what to do and a pair of good shoes, just throw yourself into it. You can't do too much damage during the first week or so. I'm just saying this as someone, who has a tendency to overthink things sometimes, which creates unnecessary obstacles.

There are many others just starting or at the end of week 1, possibly on week 2 now, so check out the daily thread for inspiration.
  • rachiesretrokitchen
    Options
    Thanks so much. This is a great post.
  • kookykrazee
    kookykrazee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So, I see this great group/post and I am curious of some things. I am likely not the firs to wonder/think/ask this, but the following comes to mind:

1. As much as I would like to have dedicated running/jogging/walking shoes, I realistically have to use the shoes I have for my everyday shoes. It's not a financial option and likely won't be for quite some time (maybe summer?
    2. Proper gear, relatively speaking, is tough for me. I have jeans, shorts (not in our ever changing winter Seattle weather...lol), and 1 pair of too big workout pants (I lost 30lbs last year 8lbs so far this year, so they dont' fit anymore, YEAH me:)
    3. Motivation, I have gotten RL friends to walk Greenlake loop with me, but getting people I know to do more, not likely to happen, yet the people I have met somewhat look down on me because we have different levels of gear.
    4. How to get myself to stretch the way I should (meaning doing any stretching, period)

I set my target of 5 5k for 2015 while prepping for a century ride for next year. These are both realistic as I know once I am able to jog/run a 5k, the next 4 will likely be done before summer ends. It helps that Magnuson Park has a monthly 5k rain or shine.

So, feedback always appreciated and looking non-yuppie friends in the Seattle area who want to do a 5k in the next couple months, without much expense :)

BTW, I have walked the equivalent of a 10k (multiple Greenlake loops) in about 90 minutes, so I have high expectations...hehe
  • tmlark143
    Options
    rduhlir wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

It is your wonderful, poster posting, information sharing running friend Becky, back with another new post. This is a welcome to all the new comers. I come back from vacation for 4 days and see like 20 new people. Winter is over, spring has begun and it has herded a new crop of C25K participants. Funny how the sun does that to people.

Whether you are a week in or are researching to start your journey, this is one thread you want to read. This will be the low down. Your one stop, shop to get all information you need to make sure your starting is injury free and as successful as possible. So here we go....the biggies that everyone should know before begining.....

1. Get a check up
    Sure you feel great. But if you are a man over 45 or a woman over 55, and especially if you have known illnesses, go see your doctor before starting. There might be risk factors you dont' know about, i.e. maybe you have high blood pressure and don't know it. Get the okay from your doctor, or at least set up a monitoring schedule to make sure you remaining healthy and injury free. This is a good time to get recommendations from your doctor on sports medicine clinics, for either sports massages or for anyt injuries you might end up getting further down the road.

2. Set a goal
    They become your incentives. If you don't set goals, you'll get bored. Becoming bored means you increase your chance of quiting. Set a target. Maybe it is as simple as being able to run for 30 minutes straight, or maybe it is to run that 5K in July. Make sure it is realistic. Starting today, and hoping to run a 5K tomorrow isn't.

3. Take it slow
    If you need to repeat a week, do not be afraid to do so. Also, don't go out guns blazing. Slow is the new fast. Going too fast or too much too soon can cause injury, which puts you right back at the begining.

4. Buy Running shoes
    Most people dont' want to invest in this at the begining because they are afraid they won't stick it out. But, buying running shoes can mean the difference between success and failure. Go to a running store and get fitted. That doesn't mean you have to buy them there. I have gone to the running store, gotten fitted and then found the shoes for half the price at Rack Room.

5. Set up a walk base
    This is super important. If you are someone who can not go 100 feet without stopping for a breath of air then you need to stop and consider where you are realisticly. Creating a 30 minute/3 days a week walking base will help you increase your chance at success.

6. Consider time over distance
    When you start, it shouldn't be about how far or how fast you can do something. It should be about how long. Running by time de-emphasized pace, and allows you to adjust to how YOU feel that day.

7. Tap the power of three
    Three days a week minimum. Studies have shown that people who do not run regularly are more prone to quit. You can not achive running fitness unless you do it consistently.

8. Get to week 6
    I say this because at this point you actually in the running portion of the program, have will have been running consistantly for 3 weeks. This is the turning point for most runners. Your metabolism is changing, you're getting more and more energetic, and your diet has probably improved.

9. Endurance over speed
    Work on completing the program before worrying about how fast you are going. Once you are done you can readjust your focus to speed.

10. Seek Peer Pressure
    Join a running club, or go to your local running store and see if they do organized runs. Breakaway (both Memphis stores) have group runs on Wednesdays. Meeting friends and having running buddies will help you maintain the new lifestyle.

11. Reward Yourself
    When you hit milestones, give yourself a treat. Get yourself a medal, or get a cupcake (Gigi's was my reward hahaha). But, reward yourself for a job well done.

12. Get your family involved
    If you have ever wondered if you could get your kids into it, the answer is yes. The C25K program is actually a good program to start children out on. The distance is minimal, and the run/walk splits are perfect recoveries for growing bodies. And, if you can enlist your SO to get involved you can make the runs family time.

13. Mix it up
    Don't run the same place very time. Get out and run every where. Run down the street (get flashers if there are no sidewalks), run trails, run around the pond, run at the park.

14. Accept bad runs
    Everyone has them. Everyone will have them. They are unavoidable. Accept the fact that not every run will end up you feeling great. On those tough days, slow down and focus on the task at hand.

15. Accentuate the positive
    Don't put added pressure on yourself. Focus on the accomplishment of each workout.

16. Stretch, stretch, oh and stretch
    What to stretch?
    >>Hamstrings
    >>Calves
    >>Quads

• tmlark143
    Options
    I just started yesterday, though I've been walking a lot the last year, I did my first jog last night and could only go for 8 minutes. I felt defeated but this post helps so much! I know now starting slow is ok and I just need to set goals. Thanks again.
  • fifenashia335
    Options
    I know this is from 2013 but just a relevant today! Thank you thank you thank you! Day 1 starts today
  • marjikaparji
    marjikaparji Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful! I'm just starting and live the information and tips provided! Thank you :
  • lindarpolk
    lindarpolk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about running two 5Ks in June. My goal is to not walk. My plan was to start in in January and have about three weeks to do each week in the Couch to 5K program, but now I have a little more than one week for each program week since it took me so long to really get started. I'm doing week 2 now and trying to stick with it. :)