Jan. 2015 Active Low Carbers

Options
14567810»

Replies

• barongaston
    Options
    Hi, I am Mike. I am focusing on low carb \ low cal diet. I tried this once before, and had success, which i parlayed into doing corssfit where I hurt my knee and was laid up for a while unable to exercise and eating the blues away. So its back to square one for me. 8 days in and staying strong.

Feel free to friend me.

• debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, just found this site.....super stoked :) I do belong to several groups on FB for ideas and inspiration and have been a believer of LCHF quite awhile now. I did great before the holidays....and am coming back around (story of my life) but anyway, feel free to add me, can always use more friends for encouragement and chit chat!! Oh, I also started working out regularly at the YMCA maybe 8 months ago. I love Body Pump, Zumba...RIP, all group exercises....something I never thought I'd EVER do...it's never too late to improve huh?
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Carrie and I joined a couple of days ago. I transitioned to a Low Carb lifestyle in February 2014. Back then I carried 192 pounds on a small 5'2" frame, and it was taking a pretty bad toll on me. So far I've lost 60 pounds and have 20 left to go. I joined not so much for the calorie counting but for the additional motivation and support. The last few pounds are the hardest! So glad I found this group!
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm Rachel, working mom of three young kids. I first did South Beach a decade ago, it worked great for me, kept me full, helped me lose some weight. After my first baby, I became a Lifetimer at Weight Watchers, following their then-Core program. After my second baby I kept the weight off until she was about 1 and I weaned her, suddenly went through hormonal chaos, gained 30 lbs in a matter of weeks, tried "intuitive eating" instead of the low carb lifestyle I knew worked for me (trying to find a WOE that would be "normal" for my daughters to see). As I tried to get things under control, an unexpected pregnancy took over. Fast forward nine months, at least lost the pregnancy weight if not the 30 that I had gained before! That baby turned 2 in 9/2014, which is when I started this WOE. I had gained another 15ish when I weaned him, so had a bit to lose! Exercise has always been the easy part for me, getting myself in line to eat LC and eliminate the cravings is the hard part.

I meet with a nutritionist weekly, and claim that the money I pay for that is the reason it is working for me - don't want that money to go to waste! I've lost 45ish lbs in the past 5 months. I lean more towards protein than fat, but primarily try to keep carbs and calories low. I'm working on my last 10 lbs to get to where I was before my second pregnancy. No more surprise babies, so my body is my own for the first time in a decade!

I've been through all the birthdays for the kids, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, my own birthday, and countless events over these five months, and manage to stick to my plan and continue to lose weight. It can be done! And you don't have to feel deprived!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    While I understand that low-carb isn't "normal" in this world, it's not something I would necessarily be afraid of modeling for kids. Normal is fat and sick. Why not teach them another way?

Granted, my son (and wife) don't eat like I do. They both include more carbs and vegetables than I do. But, there is an awareness of the types of foods that are good for you and those which just taste good.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm restarting my weight loss attempts, want to lose 30lbs this year. I've always struggled with weight issues and prev lost weight eating very low carb so here I go again. Good luck all
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Well, it's February now, but I'd still like to post ;)

I'm May, from Perth, Australia. 58 years old and have been over-weight to some degree or another since age 11. I've reached 'goal weight' several times with the only desire to pig out, on everything I'd denied myself, when I reached it, with obvious results. I now know this was because I'd practically starved myself to death with calorie and fat restrictions every single time.

I went *mostly* raw vegan when I turned 50 and ate that way for around 2 years. Lost weight, plenty of energy, but my husband didn't like the lifestyle at all so we went back to being normal. I put weight back on from 68 kgs to 72 kgs, which I'd sustained happily for those 2 years. Slowly it crept up to 78 kgs, then 82... And from Aug to Dec of last year I was going through a rough time and the next thing I knew I was 89.7 kgs (197 lbs) at 5ft 4ins tall.

I'd been listening to some YouTubes about Paleo for the same 6 months that I put the weight on. I just couldn't eat 'correctly' for that. I'm not a big meat eater. Then, 9 days ago, I came across some YouTubes from a seminar named 'Low Carb Down Under' which was held in Melbourne, Australia. I've never been more convinced of anything that LCHF is the healthy and sensible way to eat.

Loving it so far - no keto flu, no cravings, and I was the world's biggest sugar craver until 11 days ago! I'm aiming for 28g carb, 120g fat and 100g protein each day at the moment.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jessica and been doing this about a year. Wow I typed out a huge intro and it deleted it to one sentence. Sigh. Basics: type 2, off meds, losing pound week, down 40 pounds so far, struggling with fiber and potassium, track daily, want friends who also track daily for ideas, love reading others food diaries. Stats: I do 15-45 carbs a day after fiber. Don't deduct sugar alcohols, try to avoid them and processed food. Getting high teens in grams of fiber, need 25g. Never hit potassium goal. Occasionally do small amounts of slow carbs (hence the high end of carbs) like black beans if my blood sugar likes them (it does so far). My favorite tools are the food diary and ketostix which I use daily. Next goal: helping my PCOS. Macros set to 10% carbs, 30% protein, 60% fat (I love that MFP lets you reset them in advanced settings). Hubby who is an RN also joining me since watching the youtube, "Fathead", which I highly recommend. It's free, he's funny.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    While I understand that low-carb isn't "normal" in this world, it's not something I would necessarily be afraid of modeling for kids. Normal is fat and sick. Why not teach them another way?

Granted, my son (and wife) don't eat like I do. They both include more carbs and vegetables than I do. But, there is an awareness of the types of foods that are good for you and those which just taste good.

My biggest concern is that my little girls will see me denying myself or doing something different than everybody else. I don't want them to see that, just a mother being healthy. This time around I have been able to avoid that. I cook one meal for everyone with the backbones that I need (protein and veggies) and a side that they can have (rice, pasta, potatoes), since they don't need to be concerned about their bodies and need to forge their own healthy relationship with all kinds of food. I think that relationship is rooted in moderation and not being denied certain items or given the impression that certain items are bad. I had put "normal" in quotes because I know normal is different for everyone. This time around, I am making the LC lifestyle normal for us without feeling like I am putting off the sense that certain foods are bad, or that I'm fat, etc. Parenting in general, and girls especially, is a very touchy area, because they really do see everything we do, think, say.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys, I am Angie. I have been low carbing (on and off) for a little over two years. I am a mother of one, and long story short I had a goal of losing 100 pounds right before the holiday season of 2012. I stuck to a low carb diet very seriously for eight months and lost 90 pounds.

After that things got a little lax, tried a low calorie/fat diet that really didn't work for me. Since then I have gained back 10 pounds, so now I am looking to loose the last 20.

I love the low carb diet -- I mean I love potatoes and bread as much as the next person, but I feel great on a low carb diet. I think it is mostly that it requires me not to eat processed foods.

Since January 1 I have been down to ~20 carbs net a day, and it is coming off much slower than the first time. But I am sticking strong, I know this diet works, and I feel good on it.

On a slightly depressing note, my husband started the low carb with me on the first - not quite as low, and he does go to the gym every day (a goal I need to incorporate) and has lost almost 15 pounds and is now 4 pounds from his goal.

Today is my first day in this group and would love to have friends in the same boat!
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My approach is to stay away from bread, pasta, things made with white flour and sugar. Though I have no specific "carb quantity" to stay under. I also try to make sure the fats I eat are mostly of a healthier variety i.e. avocado, olive oil etc. I confess this is not sticking to any popular diet fads just common sense. I focus mainly on foods that are high in nutritional value and have set a low calorie goal (1260-1300ish) along with moving 45 mins 5 days/wk. I started logging about 15 days ago and am losing weight steadily. So far so good. Also, I should mention I was binging on the aforementioned foods (it was like I was addicted and could not stop) that is why I decided to cut carbs they were ALL my trigger foods to overeat. Now I rarely find that I am craving things or that I feel hunger past a reasonable caloric intake, thankfully. Who can lose weight when they feel like they are starving all the time right?
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My approach is to stay away from bread, pasta, things made with white flour and sugar. Though I have no specific "carb quantity" to stay under. I also try to make sure the fats I eat are mostly of a healthier variety i.e. avocado, olive oil etc. I confess this is not sticking to any popular diet fads just common sense. I focus mainly on foods that are high in nutritional value and have set a low calorie goal (1260-1300ish) along with moving 45 mins 5 days/wk. I started logging about 15 days ago and am losing weight steadily. So far so good. Also, I should mention I was binging on the aforementioned foods (it was like I was addicted and could not stop) that is why I decided to cut carbs they were ALL my trigger foods to overeat. Now I rarely find that I am craving things or that I feel hunger past a reasonable caloric intake, thankfully. Who can lose weight when they feel like they are starving all the time right?