Cream cheese and carbs

Options
So, I was not pleased when kraft cream cheese (and the store brand) jumped carbs from 1/serving to 2/serving. Not a big deal, but still irritating.

Turns out Horizon organic cream cheese (haven't tested the taste yet), is 1 carb/serving. Most of my cream cheese usage comes in sauce/dessert, so we'll see how it works!

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Did they change the serving size? Or just the carbs per?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think this may have something to do with how much whey they ADD to it. Kraft adds it and so do most generic store brands. I believe Horizon is one that does not ADD whey.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

Same serving size, increased carbs per.

I love making a dessert I call "cheesecake fluff" out of sugar-free jello and cream cheese, and I want to eat it daily. Less carbs in my cream cheese = win.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think this may have something to do with how much whey they ADD to it. Kraft adds it and so do most generic store brands. I believe Horizon is one that does not ADD whey.

Whey's a protein, so that shouldn't affect the carb amount, but yes, Horizon does not add whey.

It's hard telling why the difference. Could be added sugar (has the ingredient list changed?). Or, it could be using a lower fat milk (whole milk vs cream, for example). Or, it could be that they had it tested and the new test made it 2g of carbs per. Or, it could be something else entirely. I'm just guessing.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    It was reevaluated probably, I think dairy products in general are up for review every 5 years or so, and it is 2015.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Whey's a protein, so that shouldn't affect the carb amount, but yes, Horizon does not add whey.

It's hard telling why the difference. Could be added sugar (has the ingredient list changed?). Or, it could be using a lower fat milk (whole milk vs cream, for example). Or, it could be that they had it tested and the new test made it 2g of carbs per. Or, it could be something else entirely. I'm just guessing.

Yeah, no idea. Ingredients don't look any different.

Ah well, need to pick up some sugar-free jello tomorrow to make more fluff! Raspberry and orange were both good, going to try lime (my fave flavor) next.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Whey does contains lactose, which does contain carbs and fats. It is not a pure protein. In fact, whey protein concentrate can vary widely in the amount of protein it contains. Kraft adds whey protein concentrate to its brick cream cheese original and this may have more lactose in it and less protein than it did previously because processing the whey from cheesemaking into whey protein concentrate does not make it into a pure protein. Whey isolate is more pure protein, but still contains lactose, and therefore a small amount of carbohydrate and fat.

Of course, this could be Kraft making their labels more accurate, since the USDA allows a 20% fudge factor on labeling with rounding and such.

• VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I love making a dessert I call "cheesecake fluff" out of sugar-free jello and cream cheese, and I want to eat it daily. Less carbs in my cream cheese = win.

Cheesecake Fluff sounds delicious! Do you have a link to a recipie that you use with the Cream Cheese and S/F jello? :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    edited February 2015
    Options
    vdraghi wrote: »

Cheesecake Fluff sounds delicious! Do you have a link to a recipie that you use with the Cream Cheese and S/F jello? :)

I literally just use 4 oz of softened cream cheese per small box of sugar free jello mix. I have the soft cream cheese whipped in a small glass mixing bowl, then I use a glass measuring cup to stir the jello in 1 cup boiling water for 3 minutes. Dump that in the bowl and mix vigorously with cream cheese, then add 1 cup ice/water and stir until all the ice melts, then refrigerate. Sets up pretty well in 1.5-2hrs. Has a jello-y texture but looks and tastes creamy.

ETA: 1 cup serving (240g by weight) has 186 calories, 2g carbs, 17g fat and 5g protein. Pretty nice little treat.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I found the 1 gram Philly Cream Cheese (brick) tonight and bought it. So I took out both the 1g & the 2g. It looks like Johnson was correct, its the whey. Here are the pics:

ybat2xrx8ee4.jpg

iftcht3z2m3p.jpg

Why they change, IDK. They probably make runs in huge batches. Maybe the 2g stuff is now gone and the 1g is in. Notice the fat, calcium, cholesterol are a tiny bit different.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Baked Stuffed Jalepenos
    An Alternative to Batch Cooking
    Cream Cheese, Bacon & Chicken

• Katherine77777
    Katherine77777 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Recipe please....:)
  • Katherine77777
    Katherine77777 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    vdraghi wrote: »

I literally just use 4 oz of softened cream cheese per small box of sugar free jello mix. I have the soft cream cheese whipped in a small glass mixing bowl, then I use a glass measuring cup to stir the jello in 1 cup boiling water for 3 minutes. Dump that in the bowl and mix vigorously with cream cheese, then add 1 cup ice/water and stir until all the ice melts, then refrigerate. Sets up pretty well in 1.5-2hrs. Has a jello-y texture but looks and tastes creamy.

ETA: 1 cup serving (240g by weight) has 186 calories, 2g carbs, 17g fat and 5g protein. Pretty nice little treat.

Got it thanks!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I found the 1 gram Philly Cream Cheese (brick) tonight and bought it. So I took out both the 1g & the 2g. It looks like Johnson was correct, its the whey. Here are the pics:

ybat2xrx8ee4.jpg

iftcht3z2m3p.jpg

Why they change, IDK. They probably make runs in huge batches. Maybe the 2g stuff is now gone and the 1g is in. Notice the fat, calcium, cholesterol are a tiny bit different.

Baked Stuffed Jalepenos

I wonder if it is possible this 1 g carb version is Kosher for Passover and that's why it is out now? I will be looking at stores and stocking up if I find some.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

ybat2xrx8ee4.jpg

iftcht3z2m3p.jpg

Baked Stuffed Jalepenos

I wonder if it is possible this 1 g carb version is Kosher for Passover and that's why it is out now? I will be looking at stores and stocking up if I find some.

Could be, I suspect Kraft makes CC for a bunch of other companies.

Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good

Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

ybat2xrx8ee4.jpg

iftcht3z2m3p.jpg

Baked Stuffed Jalepenos

Stupid question, but...how is the whey version not kosher?
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i tend to use quark or creme freche. i like the tangy aspect of the cultured stuff.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

ybat2xrx8ee4.jpg

iftcht3z2m3p.jpg

Baked Stuffed Jalepenos

I was a bit fascinated by this theory and had the same question. Please note I am not Jewish, but I am fascinated by all things cheese, so I did quick googly search. Based on what I read, this is what I gathered. Corrections or more insights from a Jewish or Kosher cheese maker would be encouraged.

Rennet coagulates the milk proteins as part of the cheese making process. It is generally derived from the lining of an animal stomach or can be derived from vegetables. So to be strict kosher, the slaughter of the animal needs to be done correctly for the final cheese product to be kosher (in the case of cheese, it is generally considered acceptable to mix the dairy and rennet and still be kosher). Since more Jewish people would be eating kosher (or more strict) this time of year the standard Jewish markets or kosher dairy producers would not be able to support the demand. So I guess they rent out larger productions facilities (in this case maybe Kraft?) and do kosher runs in their facility. Since generally it would not impact the the quality for the general public, only crazy people like us would notice a 1g difference in carb count of cheese, it makes no difference. So that could be an explanation of why they would change up their production this time of year.

I could only *guess* at this point that the altered process or rennet source may have some sort of impact on the amount of whey in the final product. I would love a little enlightenment as I have not been able to find that out.

Anyways, it could also be that Kraft just changed their process, and it has nothing to do with Passover.

I sent them a message asking. I might be a little bored right now.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been making cinnamon cream cheese 'fat bombs' for dessert when I'm a little short. I just mix it up in a bowl and eat it with a spoon or put it in a cream cheese pancake. You could even mash up a strawberry with it too.

1-2 servings
    1 oz cream cheese
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1/4 tsp cinnamon (or less. to taste)
    1/3 packet, or generous sprinkle, of stevia or sweetener(to taste)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

ybat2xrx8ee4.jpg

iftcht3z2m3p.jpg

Baked Stuffed Jalepenos

All the regular Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese is kosher, but there is some additional certification required for it to be Kosher for Passover. It was a complete guess on my part as to why the 1g stuff might be popping up again now. I looked today and everything here still is 2 g including Kraft, Aldi, and another store brand. The only Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese that are not kosher, as far as I can tell, is the bacon cream cheese (and possibly the flavors made on the same production line, though those may be ok - I don't keep kosher so I am no expert whatsoever.)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I have been making cinnamon cream cheese 'fat bombs' for dessert when I'm a little short. I just mix it up in a bowl and eat it with a spoon or put it in a cream cheese pancake. You could even mash up a strawberry with it too.

1-2 servings
    1 oz cream cheese
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1/4 tsp cinnamon (or less. to taste)
    1/3 packet, or generous sprinkle, of stevia or sweetener(to taste)

Sounds yummy Mongoose!, I'll have to try it this week.

Putting Chocolate Back Together Recipe
    Almond Joy Wanna Be's (fat bomb recipe)
    Raspberry Fat Bombs
    Previous Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)