Over 50s Ladies - Our Special Needs

Options

Replies

• sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

kterri58 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I started reading about this life style back in Nov 2014. I just turned 57 Saturday ,and have been doing LoCarb since Christmas 2014. I started out at 195 lbs and I'm at 179 lbs now. It has really slowed down. My husband & I have a small business & have worked together for the last 30+ years. He is very supportive and also tries to eat healthy & exercise. This weekend was tough as the weather changed. (-30° outside, burrr!) I have done well, have cut out all added sugar, flour from grains & been tracking on MyFitnessPal. My macros are set at C-10%, P-15% & F-75%. I am taking supplements: 400-500 mg Magnesium, Calcium-Magnesium & Potassium supplement, D3-5000, Omega-3 500mg, Turmeric, Psyllium Husk 500mg, Glucomannan 600 mg & also "Young Phorever" pH salts. I take a tbsp of coconut butter (home made) every morning. Constipation is not a problem any more. I was irregular the first month, but I seem to have adjusted. I'm not hungry & feel satisfied. I have no health issues except a horse riding accident 18 months ago (shattered tibula) My blood pressure is good (104/72 in am) I have been drinking lemon/lime water. Thought it would help to increase my water intake. Any ideas to get the scale moving again. I haven't gained any weight back. Do you think I am being too impatient.
    TK
    Oh, and I don't know if I'm doing this community thing correctly. I'm new at that also.
    Sounds like you're doing fine! Welcome.
    For me, I had to start paying attention to calories. Was just not losing after 6 weeks of careful adherence. Just back from a long family trip and scale looks to be edging down slightly after 2 weeks of limiting the calories. Make sure you are weighing and measuring food carefully; small variations can add up over a day if you are "eyeballing". Watch out for MFP user entered nutrition info-check the labels yourself (use barcode scanner if possible); there is A LOT of wrong info in the database.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Don't hate me, I don't really want to know this either, but I guess I'd better share this podcast. The part about cheese is brief, but it was mentioned recently on this forum somewhere and I guess we are the group who most need to hear it :'(
    talkfeed.co.za/dairy-banting-diet/
  • sbom1
    Options
    Happy Dance...the scale is def moving downward after my 2 weeks of limiting calories within a LCHF framework. Down the last 3 mornings, average 1 pound loss over the last 10 days.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    @granny. Never Hate here. It is all information we need to consider. I will watch in a bit..

@sbom1 Way to go!! Honestly when I did this WOE for about 10 years people never even noticed I was not eating exactly as they were. It can be done even away from our own kitchens. Some times people give me a look when I eat the meat only out of a hamburger then slather a pile of mayo on it. LOL
  • sbom1
    Options
    @granny. Never Hate here. It is all information we need to consider. I will watch in a bit..

@sbom1 Way to go!! Honestly when I did this WOE for about 10 years people never even noticed I was not eating exactly as they were. It can be done even away from our own kitchens. Some times people give me a look when I eat the meat only out of a hamburger then slather a pile of mayo on it. LOL

(*) (*)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    sbom1 wrote: »
    Happy Dance...the scale is def moving downward after my 2 weeks of limiting calories within a LCHF framework. Down the last 3 mornings, average 1 pound loss over the last 10 days.
    Oh wow, congratulations sbom!!! How many calories are you 'doing' - though I know what works for you will be different than the rest of us.
    It's just a 'listen' so you can do other things at the same time. I've been on my hands and knees cleaning the kitchen floor while these are playing - I've listened to about 20 so I'm up and down setting the next one going and then back to the floor LOL

And one on cramps, magnesium, calcium supplementation, or not talkfeed.co.za/calcium-lchf-diet-heart-attack/

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Another, perhaps even more relevant to all of the wonderful ladies here talkfeed.co.za/weight-loss-plateau-lchf-diet/

I've been eating 2 meals a day and aiming for under 20g total carbs. The Professor says that when he specifies carbs he's speaking of net carbs. I didn't know that until today but I'm still happy with my existing settings even though I'm not achieving a great deal LOL Looks as if I must limit my cheese for a while and see what happens though :#
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just my thoughts for the day.

I can relate in many ways to what shadesofidaho has said. I think being over 60 plays means that everything slows down even more. I find it takes forever to lose 1-2 lbs and a moment of time to put it back on. This is extremely discouraging when you have a 100lb or more to lose.

I think that the added advantage of being on LCHF diet, if you watch your fat content, is that you can reduce inflammation of your joints and reduce arthritis pain. Arthritis is a new mystery to me and it's a darn painful disease. Painful knees keep me from doing much exercise except walking. I try to get 5,000 steps per day to keep the stiffness out of my knees. I also lift 3 or 5 lbs weights to try and keep my arm strength from deteriorating. One of my goals is to lose enough weight to allow for more exercise.

So I will continue to eat LC - less than 30 (not net 30 - real 30) and stay close to 1200 - 1300 calories. I probably shouldn't say that too loud but I can't be help think that caloric intake does matter. I know that many would disagree and some day I may be the same.

I want to live my 60's as best as I can and that means getting this weight off anyway that I can. I'm guessing if you're in your 40's, 50's or 60's that you feel the same way.

• pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OH I am 5'5" starting weight was 230 in August. I lost 14 pounds doing CICO then gained back 6. Gave up until November 28 at 222. Doctor appointment Dec 3 weight was 220 after only a few days on LCHF. Now not recorded 206.8 this AM.

Way to go!! :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @pcfrend I think you're right on all of that and I think most of us in this thread agree that we do need to count calories as well as watch our carb intake. I wish you every success in your weight loss and hope it gives you a great deal of relief with your arthritis too.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    @pcfriend. Unfortunately with all my bouncing around the 206.8 bounced back to 210 and now back down to 209.4. this is why I stopped fighting adding all the fat to make my Flexible come within 2. In the last four days since I went back to just Atkins and not trying to mix Keto WOE with Atkins I am doing better. I am not having the HUGE weight fluctuation. Yesterday my weight was 209.6 and the day before 209.8. So it is slowly going down and not bouncing up. I hope this trend continues I am going to stick with the old version of Atkins.I also noticed he mentions many times to count NET carbs. I am sticking with a carb is a carb .

I think I am solving the constipation by taking the fiber in the morning I actually forgot about taking it yesterday. It adds 4 carbs to my day so I have to remember to allow for that. But I do not have that much trouble staying under the 20 carbs even with the fiber. There is a sugar free version I just have not found it in the store yet. My biggest carb allotment is in vegetables.

The only thing I am really craving now is crunch. So I am adding the pork skins. Actually pork skins along with scrambled eggs changes the blah taste of eggs.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MAGNESIUM citrate for the bowels. best thing ever. (And also good for menopause)
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Just listened to the podcast and I never did stop my dairy. I do not have osteoporosis. I did have it checked a couple years ago and at my weight just walking around is weight bearing exercise that is supposed to help keep your bones strong. Scary about the inflamation because the psoriasis flair I was dealing with was ALL inflammation and to think this last flair lasted over three years. My poor heart.

I did start taking a little bit of calcium because it is with the magnesium I started taking again to see if it would help the constipation. It did not work for me. but now the fiber has so I am good on that. I will continue to take the cal-mag at night. I need to keep it at least 4 hours from my thyroid and the only way I can remember it morning and night pills. Nothing in between because I will always forget.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Here's another podcast with worse news ROFL talkfeed.co.za/men-vs-women-guys-tend-lose-banting-diet/ So I'll just keep going and let you know in 9 months' time if I've lost 2 lbs yet ;) Don't know why, but that doesn't bother me in the least.

I agree about carrying our bodies around counts as keeping bones strong for sure.

I had been taking a liver supplement and I find that hard to work around my naturopath's herbs for my blood pressure. I never know if any of these things argue with each other. I'm only finishing up the bottle of the liver stuff and will give it away after that.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    I always new it was easyier for most men to lose their excess weight than women. Sigh.

I do take some vitamins and make sure they are at least 4 hours apart from my thyroid. I have hubby wake me just enough to eat my thyroid pill as soon as he gets up. He gets up at 6 I get up at 8. I usually get the main vitamins (Prenatal, Biotin 5000, vit D 3000) down by 10. I also take Hawthorn and Shitake mushroom. If I do not get my vitamins down before noon I can not sleep that night so if I miss them before that I skip them as sleeping is more important to me than missing one day of vitamins. But a few times I have missed a few days in a row and I do start to feel it.

Again no more weight loss this AM but no more gain either and I take this as a good sign. At least I am not having to lose the same 2 or 3 pounds over and over to get lower.
  • sbom1
    Options
    Oh wow, congratulations sbom!!! How many calories are you 'doing' - though I know what works for you will be different than the rest of us.

most days around 1375 as target but some days are higher; allow up to 1/2 of exercise calories as additional but don't require it. Last week has been: 1353, 1381, 1729, 1350, 1418, 1934, 1445
  • sbom1
    Options
    pcfrend wrote: »

So I will continue to eat LC - less than 30 (not net 30 - real 30) and stay close to 1200 - 1300 calories. I probably shouldn't say that too loud but I can't be help think that caloric intake does matter. I know that many would disagree and some day I may be the same.

You're safe to say it here but watch out for posting on some threads even here on the safe LCHF/Keto boards. There are a few who are firmly entrenched in the calories don't matter based on their own experience.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    pcfrend wrote: »

You're safe to say it here but watch out for posting on some threads even here on the safe LCHF/Keto boards. There are a few who are firmly entrenched in the calories don't matter based on their own experience.

@sbom1 Amen to that. Most of those people are not women over 50. Clueless to the frustrations we can some times be faced with.
  • sheri81428
    sheri81428 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I just found this group on MFP and thought I would fit well in here since I am 56 years young and have been LC (basically) since 2003. I'm 5'4" and currently 167 lbs., with a goal weight of 130. Back in '03, like many posts I've read the weight came off effortlessly eating LC. In the past 3 months, I've been experimenting with LCHF/Keto but haven't found that it is helping to take the weight off any quicker. For me, I've decided it's age because I'm not doing anything else differently since I took that 45lbs off back in '03. I had managed to keep the 45 lbs. off for five years, then I gained some, lost some, yo-yo, etc. With how hard it is to get this off this time my hope is that I will never be in this situation again once I get it off.

I did just try something starting yesterday that I'll share because it got me off my stall. I had an all liquid protein shake day and this morning was down 3 lbs. Now maybe this will come right back on, I don't know since I just did this yesterday. Today I'm doing two meal replacements with protein drink (30g protein, 1carb per serving) and will have a LCHF dinner tonight. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I saw some posts about high BP. I too had this issue at times. I found that supplementing with potassium and magnesium brought my BP down within a couple days. In fact I had to have a life insurance exam last year and my BP was up around 155/92. Within a week of eating LC and taking potassium/magnesium and garlic supplements it was down to 127/70. This may not work for everyone but thought I'd share what worked for me.

I apologize if I've repeated some info on high BP, etc., I tried to read all the posts to catch up but may have missed some things. I'm looking forward to learning new ideas of how to keep the scale moving downwards :-).
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Welcome sheri8. Interesting on the protein shake. I might give that a try. What is the brand you are using. I can only find the whey protein here.
    chris