Low Carb Responses from the General Forums

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Apparently, I have none. I guess my resolve to avoid the main forums have paid off.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have one. Probably when I accused certain people of always having the "right" answer. It doesn't say, though I'm on my phone so maybe that's why? I honestly don't care. I'm slowly moving in a different direction and if it weren't for this board I'd probably leave MFP altogether.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    This board is the only reason I stay. After my 90 days of logging for a friend, I will be back to not logging anything. The only reason I stayed the last time I stopped logging was to talk to people in here.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I wish I had seen that thread (been up visiting the in-laws all day so haven't been able to check in). I lost my 60 pounds doing Atkins and I usually try to send a friend request/private message people looking for advice about the program. I'm usually very hesitant to respond in the actual thread.

There is so much misinformation out there about Atkins. It's funny, when I tell people I switched to low carb I get nods of approval, but if I say I'm doing Atkins I get an hour long lecture about how I'm destroying my kidneys.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    The big difference is that we don't go looking for the threads on diets we don't agree with to post negative opinions or bad advice. You won't see me posting in a vegan's thread when they are asking for advice. It isn't the same way with low carb. Half, or more, of the responses tend to be people bashing it or offering unsolicited advice that doesn't pertain.

BINGO. I don't go into IIFYMs threads where folks are happily saying they eat whatever they want, or asking for IIFYM advice, or what not to tell them to eat my way.

Yet, daily, several times daily, someone will post asking for advice on how to cut carbs, or cut sugar and are then told over and over and over that they don't need to.

I'd almost be tempted to start doing the same in return, except I already got one warning for asking an LC basher (your brain and kidneys will stop functioning after a few months) where she got her medical degree. Apparently, that was rude and abusive of me. No doubt telling people they don't have to eat more than 20g of carbs a day would get me jail bars.
    You got a warning or one of those silly flags? Hell, I've gotten 3 today already for disagreeing with ANA ANA.
    :D

Mod warning. It shows up as a notification with a link to the 3strikes rules

You got an actual Mod warning for that??? Ridiculous.

I now have 52 abuse votes and 22 spam votes lol.
    But I've never gotten an actual warning. Go figure.

I was already on their radar because I got into it with a certain mod about a different thread. Someone asked about tracking a vitamin MFP doesn't track, because her doctor told her to, and she got a bunch of replies telling her not to bother. I asked why it was ok for people to give bad medical advice, and was told I was "reading too much into it." Course, it's the same mod who frequently goes off on people who want to cut out sugar instead of all things in moderation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    The big difference is that we don't go looking for the threads on diets we don't agree with to post negative opinions or bad advice. You won't see me posting in a vegan's thread when they are asking for advice. It isn't the same way with low carb. Half, or more, of the responses tend to be people bashing it or offering unsolicited advice that doesn't pertain.

BINGO. I don't go into IIFYMs threads where folks are happily saying they eat whatever they want, or asking for IIFYM advice, or what not to tell them to eat my way.

Yet, daily, several times daily, someone will post asking for advice on how to cut carbs, or cut sugar and are then told over and over and over that they don't need to.

I'd almost be tempted to start doing the same in return, except I already got one warning for asking an LC basher (your brain and kidneys will stop functioning after a few months) where she got her medical degree. Apparently, that was rude and abusive of me. No doubt telling people they don't have to eat more than 20g of carbs a day would get me jail bars.
    You got a warning or one of those silly flags? Hell, I've gotten 3 today already for disagreeing with ANA ANA.
    :D

Mod warning. It shows up as a notification with a link to the 3strikes rules

You got an actual Mod warning for that??? Ridiculous.

I now have 52 abuse votes and 22 spam votes lol.
    But I've never gotten an actual warning. Go figure.

I was already on their radar because I got into it with a certain mod about a different thread. Someone asked about tracking a vitamin MFP doesn't track, because her doctor told her to, and she got a bunch of replies telling her not to bother. I asked why it was ok for people to give bad medical advice, and was told I was "reading too much into it." Course, it's the same mod who frequently goes off on people who want to cut out sugar instead of all things in moderation.

Ah yes. That one. :smile:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I might be in the minority here with this opinion: I don't think carbs, or fats, or whatever else should be demonized or glorified in the way people are prone to do. Everything effects different people in different ways, for us within this group demonizing carbs within our lives makes sense. But it's a journey we're all on, the same end goal, but as many paths as there are people. It's sad that people will tell someone else not to bother with something based solely on personal experience, we can only point to studies and success stories and offer help, advice and support. Everyone has to find what works for them, and to do so they need to keep an open mind about all the different diets around, this just happens to work for us and we want it to work as well as for everyone else.

You're not in the minority, you and I think alike.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • LowCarbHeart
    Options
    Have you guys seen the latest in Consumer Reports? I just, argh, have to look away: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/surprising-effects-of-high-protein-low-carb-diet/index.htm
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Have you guys seen the latest in Consumer Reports? I just, argh, have to look away: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/surprising-effects-of-high-protein-low-carb-diet/index.htm

Ugh, I might need to cancel my online CR subscription over this.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

It's true that too much protein is hard on the kidneys, but that's why we watch all of our macros and not just blindly cut one. >:)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's not High protein, it high fat and moderate protein. When will they get this right?????
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    It's true that very high levels of protein (way more than what I eat on my biggest day) can put a strain on the kidneys. But, even high levels (like 180g-200g high) don't cause any problems for people with healthy kidneys. If you have a preexisting kidney condition, that's a different matter. But, for healthy people, high protein intake isn't a concern.

But, low-carb isn't high protein anyway. It's an argument against a strawman.
  • LowCarbHeart
    Options
    I guess I can't be to hard on them, I had some pretty deep misconceptions about low carb before I really looked into it. I thought Atkins was all bacon and cheese and was surprised to find out it's a high vegetable, high fat, moderate protein way of eating.

Goat recommended the book The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor and I just finished the section on how its not true that protein leaches calcium from our bones. I just don't understand how there can be so many conflicting studies/information. I was so surprised to see this stance in Consumer Reports of all places!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I guess I can't be to hard on them, I had some pretty deep misconceptions about low carb before I really looked into it. I thought Atkins was all bacon and cheese and was surprised to find out it's a high vegetable, high fat, moderate protein way of eating.

Goat recommended the book The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor and I just finished the section on how its not true that protein leaches calcium from our bones. I just don't understand how there can be so many conflicting studies/information. I was so surprised to see this stance in Consumer Reports of all places!

Studies are all about your control group and how much variation you'll tolerate in them, also hypotheses lead research methods. So, you're unlikely to find what you don't want to in some cases.

• FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Although the efficacy of high protein diets for weight loss has been evaluated, there have been no reports of protein-induced diminutions in renal function despite subject populations that are generally at risk for kidney disease (e.g., dyslipidemia, obesity, hypertension) [14,15,22,85-87]. A randomized comparison of the effects of high and low protein diets on renal function in obese individuals suggested that high protein diets did not present a health concern with regard to renal function their study population [65].
    Athletes, particularly in sports requiring strength and power, consume high levels of dietary protein [89,90]. In fact, many athletes habitually consume protein in excess of 2.0 g/kg/day [91]. Supplementation with amino acids will further increase dietary protein levels in these individuals [92]. Yet there is no evidence that this population is at greater risk for kidney disease or losses in renal function [90]. Poortsmans and Dellalieux [93] found that protein intakes in the range of ~1.4–1.9 g/kg/day or 170–243% of the recommended dietary allowance did not impair renal function in a group of 37 athletes. We found no data in the scientific literature to link high protein intakes to increased risk for impaired kidney function in healthy, physically active men and women.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

There are several links about protein and the effects on healthy kidneys. The above is just one of them. But, the short response is that it's just not a concern for otherwise healthy people.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    It's not High protein, it high fat and moderate protein. When will they get this right?????

My guess? Never.

Hell, it's taken them over 60 years to even start figuring out that 500g of starch and sugar per day is bad for people's health in general.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Studies are all about your control group and how much variation you'll tolerate in them, also hypotheses lead research methods. So, you're unlikely to find what you don't want to in some cases.

Also, most of the studies have actually had it right, it's media outlets that twist things like a pretzel and use the flimsier studies to maintain the status quo since it was established by Ancel Keys.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    Ditto to Dan!
    +1
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I made the "mistake" of asking point blank in the latest LC thread why people who don't like LC insist on hijacking all the threads. The natives did not appreciate it.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    rckk18 wrote:
    In the last 6 days I am averaging 73 carbs a day. Is that about right for a low carb diet ? I have lost 4 lbs in the last 7 days.
    It's not fat you've lost, It's water weight from going low on carbs.

But, when you do start to really eat them again, the water weight will return. Hence why low carb, unless under direction of a doctor, is a dumb idea.

Carbs don't make you fat, eating too much is what makes people fat.

*sigh*