There's one of them now.......
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sconnie
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I wish I could "like" ya'lls posts :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Some of these goals put me to shame. My biggest goal is swimming 2K in 1hour. I can swim that far but I am so slow. My age and my weight don't help. Haven't been on this site for months. You guys rock!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back, Holly. The whole idea of goals is for them to be relevant to you, what anybody else is doing should have zero effect on what you're trying to achieve & how you're trying to do it. Get your 2K in an hour & then decide what YOU want to do next...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    holly1283 wrote: »
    Some of these goals put me to shame. My biggest goal is swimming 2K in 1hour. I can swim that far but I am so slow. My age and my weight don't help. Haven't been on this site for months. You guys rock!

Well, some of us here are impressed by YOU! :wink: I can barely swim consistently for five minutes before needing a break. And because I'm relatively new to it, I don't push through too much because as I tire, I lose my technique and have very little muscle memory, so pretty soon, I'm just a floundering mess out there. I wouldn't want to alarm the lifeguards unnecessarily!

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YTD SWIM GOAL = 77/365 MILES
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    YTD SWIM GOAL = 77/365 MILES

You're moving along nicely towards that target, Bruce!
  • Zoelesley
    Zoelesley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group. I recently started swimming, I'm in week 3 and I have gotten to the point where I can do 70 laps (25 yds) in about 57 mins 3x a week, I have no idea if this is good though or if I should be doing it in a lot less, when I get out I feel like jelly, so I can feel its doing something.

my goals;

swim a mile in 35 mins
    gradually be able to swim 3 miles

I'd love some guidance on what I should be doing, best way to lose weight, tone up, any races to join. So glad to find a group as everyone I know runs, nobody swims.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Welcome, Zoelesley!!!! I think what you're doing is working just fine for you, going by the way you say you feel when you're done. Just be guided by what your body tells you about when it's time to ramp it up (or back it off) & you'll be fine....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    holly1283 wrote: »
    One lap at a time.
    One thing that helped me early on was swimming laps with zip fins. I found I lacked the upper body endurance and me legs dropped too much. The fins helped distribute the effort more while I improved my endurance. I also found that it helped planarize my form such that now without the fins my but is almost out of the water.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Zoelesley wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group. I recently started swimming, I'm in week 3 and I have gotten to the point where I can do 70 laps (25 yds) in about 57 mins 3x a week, I have no idea if this is good though or if I should be doing it in a lot less, when I get out I feel like jelly, so I can feel its doing something.

my goals;

swim a mile in 35 mins

I'd love some guidance on what I should be doing, best way to lose weight, tone up, any races to join. So glad to find a group as everyone I know runs, nobody swims.

Yes, 70 laps in 57 minutes is good. Faster than me :)
    Takes me about 115 minutes to do 120 laps each morning. I'd be doing 140 laps each morning if I matched your speed :)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

my goals;

swim a mile in 35 mins

Takes me about 115 minutes to do 120 laps each morning. I'd be doing 140 laps each morning if I matched your speed :)

I think y'all may be referring to two different things. Gutzy one of your laps is equal to 2 lengths or 2 of Zoelesy's "laps"!

• rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would like to re-learn butterfly
  • Zoelesley
    Zoelesley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How do you measure that? its a 25 yd pool, I count a lap each time I touch the wall, should I be doing it differently?
  • fishgutzy
    Options

I think y'all may be referring to two different things. Gutzy one of your laps is equal to 2 lengths or 2 of Zoelesy's "laps"!

I don't know how people can mix up length and lap :) One would never call half way around a running track a lap :)
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    How do you measure that? its a 25 yd pool, I count a lap each time I touch the wall, should I be doing it differently?

A lap is up and back, when you return to the point you started at, that is one lap. Just like n a track. I assumed you were referring to the length of the pool being 25 yards, therefore a 50 yard lap.
  • Macstraw
    Options

I don't know how people can mix up length and lap :) One would never call half way around a running track a lap :)

Herein lies the rub - going back to when I was a kid learning to swim a lap was a length. The confusion came in when the runners started swimming because their legs couldn't stand the pounding anymore. A lap is traversing the course 1 time - in a pool that's a length. On a track, because you are going in a circle, a lap ends at the same place where you started - hence the confusion when the runners hit the water. I don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it out to be, when somebody asks me how many laps I do I ask them what their definition of a lap is & answer accordingly. Your analogy about going half way around a track certainly seems to lend credence to this being what caused the confusion....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »

Herein lies the rub - going back to when I was a kid learning to swim a lap was a length. The confusion came in when the runners started swimming because their legs couldn't stand the pounding anymore. A lap is traversing the course 1 time - in a pool that's a length. On a track, because you are going in a circle, a lap ends at the same place where you started - hence the confusion when the runners hit the water. I don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it out to be, when somebody asks me how many laps I do I ask them what their definition of a lap is & answer accordingly. Your analogy about going half way around a track certainly seems to lend credence to this being what caused the confusion....

I used to get a little annoyed when people questioned my lap count, asking if I really meant lengths :) I guess an old fat guy wasn't supposed have that kind of endurance. :)